2022 Class A QF #4 seed 2A Minneapolis (21-6-1) vs #5 seed 6A Alexandria (19-6-2)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who win Class A QF #4?

Minneapolis
67%
Alexandria
33%

Total votes: 18

ClassAGuy

2022 Class A QF #4 seed 2A Minneapolis (21-6-1) vs #5 seed 6A Alexandria (19-6-2)

Post by ClassAGuy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:32 am

#4 seed 2A Champion Minneapolis (21-6-1) vs #5 seed 6A Champion Alexandria (19-6-2) Class A QF @ Xcel Energy Center

Section 2A Champions- Minneapolis (21-6-1)
Section 2A Playoff Results- W 5-1 #9 seed Hutchinson, W 5-1 #4 seed Providence Academy, W 3-1 #2 seed Delano

Meet Minneapolis-
For the first time since 1994 a public school from Minneapolis will be playing in the State Boys Hockey Tournament. For a program that has had to combine into one co-opt of what was once a mighty group of proud city hockey teams due to demographics and player departures and they will be the considerable fan favorite at State in Class A. If the fan turnout in the Section 2A Tournament told us anything it is to expect a big contingent of 612 fans at the X. The team with no nickname comes into this tournament off of a magical year where they beat many state ranked teams and then went through the toughest Section in the state in Class A and capped it off by dethroning the three time defending section 2A champions. Minneapolis’s most unheralded player is their Senior Goaltender Alex Lamont (21-6-1 .899 SV% 2.18 GAA) while many pointed to him as the weakness during the year he was at his best during their run through the very tough 2A Sectional only surrendering one goal in each game. He does have a solid crew of defenders in front of him led by rock solid Senior Leo Warner (4-5-9 pts.)and talented Junior defenders Drew Pitts (12-22-34 pts.), Joel Hanson (3-13-16 pts.) & Sophomore Hank Davis (6-7-13 pts) all who can move pucks effectively while playing a physical brand of defense. Up front their three Seniors forward have led the way all year as Jack Hanson (24-28-52 pts.), Zander Zoia (11-29-40 pts.) & Evan Grimm (16-11-27 pts.) have led the offensive charge all year. Minneapolis is one of the better storylines in the Tourney this year and will look to now get to Friday Afternoon and see how full they can get the lower bowl with their large 612 fan following.

vs.

Section 6A Champions- Alexandria Cardinals (19-6-2)
Section 6A Playoff Results- W 19-0 #8 seed Breckenridge/Wahpeton, W 10-2 #5 seed Morris Benson, W 4-2 #2 seed Fergus Falls

Meet the Cardinals-
Alexandria had a rocky year in 2021 as with a new coach and new identity they limped to a below .500 record and failed to reach the Section 6A Final for the first time in 4 years. This year it appeared they would struggle again as they got off to (3-4-1) start and entered January with below .500 record and terribly inconsistent play. No team was happier to see the calendar turn to 2022 than the Cardinals as since the new year they have put things together and they enter the State Tournament red hot with a 12 game unbeaten streak. Part of the middle of the year turn around can be attributed to Senior goaltender Teagan Pfeffer (14-6-2 .888 SV % 2.71 GAA) playing better in the nets but if there's an achilles heel its him has he had given up 4 or more goals in 7 of his 22 starts on the year. Defensively the Cardinals are led by 3 year veteran Seniors Pieter Mulder (3-25-28 pts.) & Brennan Lattimer (4-3-7 pts.). Up front the Cardinals have tremendous depth in their forwards led by their big top line of Seniors Josiah Gronholz (25-34-59 pts.) and Brycen Berg (27-16- 43 pts.) & Junior forward Tyler Kludt (13-35-48 pts.) and they are supported by a Juniors Joe Lamski (13-19-32 pts) & Nicholas Peterson (14-11-25 pts) and developing Sophomores Leo Kompelien (8-17-25 pts.) & Gavin Olson (11-5-16 pts.) who both anchor the 2nd line. Alexandria will be a tough out at the X as they are back for the first time since 2018 when as a 4 seed they made a run to the State Championship Game. Don’t be shocked if this group pulls off the same feat as they are playing their best hockey at the right time of the year.
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ClassAGuy

Re: 2022 Class A QF #4 seed 2A Minneapolis (21-6-1) vs #5 seed 6A Alexandria (19-6-2)

Post by ClassAGuy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:52 am

#4 seed 2A Champion Minneapolis (21-6-1) vs #5 seed 6A Champion Alexandria (19-6-2) Class A QF @ Xcel Energy Center
As is usually the case the nightcap of Class A will provide us with the day's best game. These two met back on December 11th up in Alexandria and MPLS built up a 4-0 lead and held on from there to win 4-2. Both teams are much different now then they were then. Alexandria was all over the place to start this year with terribly inconsistent performances. This game highlighted that I watched it and the cardinals basically slept-walked through half the game and then woke up and pressed hard and dominated the 2nd half but the 4 goal deficit was too much to overcome. Both teams come into the Tournament playing very good hockey and MPLS went through Class A’s toughest section while Alexandria got a bye into the Section championship round before having to play a real playoff game. Minneapolis’s D core of Senior Leo Warner (4-5-9 pts.) and and talented Junior defenders Drew Pitts (12-22-34 pts.), Joel Hanson (3-13-16 pts.) & Sophomore Hank Davis (6-7-13 pts) vs. Alexandria’s offensive depth of top line Seniors Josiah Gronholz (25-34-59 pts.) and Brycen Berg (27-16- 43 pts.) & Junior forward Tyler Kludt (13-35-48 pts.) and 2nd line of Junior Joe Lamski (13-19-32 pts) and Sophomores Leo Kompelien (8-17-25 pts.), Gavin Olson (11-5-16 pts.) will be a great in game matchup. This one should be a great game with huge crows pulling for the team from the 612 in the best battle of the day.

My Pick- Minneapolis wins a tight one their d core shuts down the top two lines of the Cards and wins a great QF game.

BSUBeaver

Re: 2022 Class A QF #4 seed 2A Minneapolis (21-6-1) vs #5 seed 6A Alexandria (19-6-2)

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:52 am

Boy, I hope Alexandria proves you wrong again! :D

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:03 am

me too

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:04 am

In the first game Minneapolis won the first two and last two minutes of the first period, most of the rest was Alexandria.
Last edited by elliott70 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:05 am

elliott70 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:04 am
In the first game Minneapolis won the first two and last two minutes of the first period, most of the rest was Alexandria.
Not true elliott I watched this game. MPLS won the entire first period Alexandria came out very flat and chased MPLS throughout the whole period and yes MPLS scored in the first and last minute of the period golden sins in hockey but MPLS also outshot Alex 10-6 and were the better team. The momentum continued into the 2nd period as MPLS scored again 20 seconds into the period and then a minute after that to be up 4-0 and Alex looked totally overwhelmed on their home ice. However, at about the mid way point of the second period Alex started to play more team hockey. I remember this game because #8 Gronholz on Alex was not even trying to back check at times and just cherry picked in the neutral zone looking for home run passes from the Alex D they would just rip pucks off the glass looking to spring break aways this was not working against a solid MPLS D core.

Alex did start to go back the tape to tape breakout and put shifts together and seized the momentum by the periods end and had 3-4 grade A chances but they could not bury anything. They were able to score early in the 3rd and they did cut it to 4-2 and looked like the better team once they dug themselves a 4-0 hole.

Notes from that that game- BSU you can correct me but back then I don't think Coach Meyers had the same line combos as as now he had Kludt with Lamski one line and Groholz with Berg on the other line and spilt the Sophomores up. Since Kludt has been paired with Groholz and Berg that line has been magic also its been fun to watch Sophomores Kompelien & Olson gel on the 2nd line with Lamski as they have created a really good line 2 and they were the hero's against Fergus Falls and the ref for blowing off the go ahead go late in the second as the Otters gave the Cards a serious run.

MPLS Hanson, Grimm and Zoia speed gave Alex defenders a ton of trouble through the first half of the game they were generating a ton of offense off the rush and the Alex D unable to skate with them were back peddling early into the zone and MPLS was able to generate offense off the rush due to the space given and they were allowed to carry the puck into the zone with ease which MPLS loves to do they are very much a puck possession team. As the game went along the D for Alex had better gaps and shut this down as things went on.

This was also the game that Stang and Myself proclaimed MPLS as a serious Top 10 contender in Class A and elliott replied NO! haha Glad to see the dislike for the 612 is still there from my Northern friend.

I think this will be a great match up both teams are much improved from that point in the year. MPLS is my pick due to coming out of MUCH tougher sectional and beating Delano twice is better than any win Alexandria has on their side. Alex is jekly and hyde are they the team that beats EGF & Fergus Falls 3 times or are they the team that barely sneaks by Sauk Rapids, ties Brainerd and messes around with Morris Benson and lets it somehow get to 3-2 in the 2nd period before deciding to play hockey and bury the storm.

I am very excited for this one. MPLS will be the fan favorite everyone in the rink will be rooting for them besides Alex fans and well Elliott haha.

Should be a great matchup!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:37 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:05 am
elliott70 wrote:
Not true elliott I watched this game. MPLS won the entire first period Alexandria came out very flat and chased MPLS throughout the whole period and yes MPLS scored in the first and last minute of the period golden sins in hockey but MPLS also outshot Alex 10-6 and were the better team. The momentum continued into the 2nd period as MPLS scored again 20 seconds into the period and then a minute after that to be up 4-0 and Alex looked totally overwhelmed on their home ice. However, at about the mid way point of the second period Alex started to play more team hockey. I remember this game because #8 Gronholz on Alex was not even trying to back check at times and just cherry picked in the neutral zone looking for home run passes from the Alex D they would just rip pucks off the glass looking to spring break aways this was not working against a solid MPLS D core.

Alex did start to go back the tape to tape breakout and put shifts together and seized the momentum by the periods end and had 3-4 grade A chances but they could not bury anything. They were able to score early in the 3rd and they did cut it to 4-2 and looked like the better team once they dug themselves a 4-0 hole.

Notes from that that game- BSU you can correct me but back then I don't think Coach Meyers had the same line combos as as now he had Kludt with Lamski one line and Groholz with Berg on the other line and spilt the Sophomores up. Since Kludt has been paired with Groholz and Berg that line has been magic also its been fun to watch Sophomores Kompelien & Olson gel on the 2nd line with Lamski as they have created a really good line 2 and they were the hero's against Fergus Falls and the ref for blowing off the go ahead go late in the second as the Otters gave the Cards a serious run.

MPLS Hanson, Grimm and Zoia speed gave Alex defenders a ton of trouble through the first half of the game they were generating a ton of offense off the rush and the Alex D unable to skate with them were back peddling early into the zone and MPLS was able to generate offense off the rush due to the space given and they were allowed to carry the puck into the zone with ease which MPLS loves to do they are very much a puck possession team. As the game went along the D for Alex had better gaps and shut this down as things went on.

This was also the game that Stang and Myself proclaimed MPLS as a serious Top 10 contender in Class A and elliott replied NO! haha Glad to see the dislike for the 612 is still there from my Northern friend.

I think this will be a great match up both teams are much improved from that point in the year. MPLS is my pick due to coming out of MUCH tougher sectional and beating Delano twice is better than any win Alexandria has on their side. Alex is jekly and hyde are they the team that beats EGF & Fergus Falls 3 times or are they the team that barely sneaks by Sauk Rapids, ties Brainerd and messes around with Morris Benson and lets it somehow get to 3-2 in the 2nd period before deciding to play hockey and bury the storm.

I am very excited for this one. MPLS will be the fan favorite everyone in the rink will be rooting for them besides Alex fans and well Elliott haha.

Will YOU be AT THE RINK?

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:07 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:37 am
ClassAGuy wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:05 am
elliott70 wrote:

Will YOU be AT THE RINK?
I will be watching on my TV updating post period by period for Class A games all week.

I am excited for this game BOTH teams are great and should be the best game of Wednesday!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:36 pm

ok then I won't see you there.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:10 am

ttt

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:13 am

I have to think OT.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:09 pm

The game of the Day up next. The Preview from Karl (EAST) below-

#5 ALEXANDRIA VS. #4 MINNEAPOLIS

As usual, this promises to be the best Class A quarterfinal. Minneapolis won a December meeting 4-2.

Alexandria (19-6-2, #6, 1-seed in 6A)

State appearances: 5 (1 in AA; last in 2018)

Key section win: 4-2 over 2-seed Fergus Falls

This team has been productive, averaging nearly 5 goals per game, though they give up a few, too. Josiah Gronholz (8) is their leading scorer, while Brycen Berg (11) is the finisher, and Tyler Kludt (7) rounds out the top trio. Peter Mulder (18) is the Cardinals’ top defenseman, and they have a respectable second line featuring Joe Lamski (6), Nicholas Peterson (29), and Leo Kompelien (3).

Holding up in back will be the key to this team getting through round one, with Teagan Pfeffer (31) being their man in the net. Despite the earlier loss to Minneapolis, it was a pretty even game, and with the team on a roll, it’s not hard to imagine this team’s firepower being enough to earn a date with the Hermantown program they stunned in 2018.

Minneapolis (21-6-1, #5, 1-seed in 2A)

State appearances: First as Minneapolis co-op (Minneapolis public schools have 40 one-class appearances, 2 Tier II appearances, and 1 Class A appearance; last by Minneapolis Edison in 1994)

Championships: 1 (Minneapolis Southwest, 1970 one-class)

Key section win: 3-1 over #3 Delano

One of the state’s better storylines this season is the Tourney arrival of Minneapolis, a co-op of all the city’s public high schools, though populated primarily by Southwest and Washburn. After fighting decades of fighting broader economic and demographic forces and the exodus of strong players to private schools, this group has risen from the ashes under coach Joe Dziedzic.

Moreover, they are a legitimate contender to play on Friday after a regular season that saw them amass a strong résumé of respectable wins. Seniors Jack Hanson (19), Zander Zoia (5), and Evan Grimm (27) lead the way offensively, and they have a respectable supporting cast headlined by sophomore John Bebler (9).

On defense they’re led by a couple of juniors, including the prolific Drew Pitts (24) and Joel Hanson (18). Goaltender Alex Lamont (31) has been steady in back. It’s hard to see them having enough pieces to run with Hermantown, but that semifinal would certainly be a spectacle.

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:10 pm

Hopefully we get a great game here, OT would be nice.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:35 pm

Ground breaking Dog bites Man stuff Karl

Ummm, isn’t Minneapolis one of largest school districts in the state?

South, Southwest, and Washburn alone have over 4000 students.

Great for Minneapolis, but really this is a no brainer. They should have a larger student section by at least triple any Class A school in state tournament history.

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:41 pm

goldy313 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:35 pm
Ground breaking Dog bites Man stuff Karl

Ummm, isn’t Minneapolis one of largest school districts in the state?

South, Southwest, and Washburn alone have over 4000 students.

Great for Minneapolis, but really this is a no brainer. They should have a larger student section by at least triple any Class A school in state tournament history.
Exactly, shocking stuff.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:43 pm

Alex high powered first line strikes first!

Gronholz with a great setup and Berg finishes up the rebound!

Great start for Alex!

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:47 pm

Anyone know why Minneapolis doesnt have a nickname/mascot? They used to be the Novas but nobody seems to know why that got dropped and was never replaced with anything

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:56 pm

Fun Game!

After Alex goal MPLS been the better team. Alex misses a grade A to go up 2-0 and heavy hits all over!

Great QF so far!

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:02 pm

MPLS ties it up 1-1 after really dominating the period on a nice setup by Bebler to Zoia

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:07 pm

Minneapolis 1 Alexandria 1 after 1 period

Really good hockey game. Cards top line buries one earlier on nice play by Gronholz and Berg pokes the rebound through. MPLS responded with heavy pressure and dominated the period but Alexandria missed a chance to go up 2-0 and not too much later Zoia ties it up 1-1.

Good one on hand MPLS carried the play but Alexandria has some snipers. Be fun to see who adjusts more after 1st period

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:20 pm

All Alex to start the 2nd missed 2 grade A chances right out of the gate.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:39 pm

PP MPLS after ugly hit by Alex player on Zioa hoping he will be ok.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:45 pm

Alex goes up 2-1!

Berg again doing the dirty work in front.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:50 pm

Alexandria 2 Minneapolis 1 after 2 periods

Berg picks up his 2nd of the night with a big dirty goal in front on a nice tip in from a point shot. Alexandria had the better period overall and carry the 2-1 lead into the third period.