State Tourney Tickets

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sk8 Str8

State Tourney Tickets

Post by Sk8 Str8 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:35 am

Question for members more knowledgeable than I (which is everyone on this bored). Most years I attend the tourney by finding tickets out front or in bars along W7th. This year's AA tourney had a team I wanted to see so I went online to buy tickets ahead of time. I was eventually directed to Vividseats.com and found tickets ranging from $85 to over $200.

Question, where did those tickets come from--are these MSHL Season ticket holders who spin their tickets every year for a profit (Vivid seats does okay too...$27 per seat ticket service charge on my $93 per seat Semi Final Game)? Does the State High School League slide these tickets to Vivid to markup and sell? Does the Wild get some of this action? If the face amount is $17.50 or $20 per ticket, who is making the $80+ markup??!?

BSUBeaver

Re: State Tourney Tickets

Post by BSUBeaver » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:20 am

I would say it is the season ticket holders. The MSHSL uses Ticketmaster, VividSeats, StubHub and all those other sites are third party resale sites.

Capitalism!

girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:27 pm

Sk8 Str8

Post by Sk8 Str8 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:23 pm

The service fees--I get it, everybody gets their cut. A $93 ticket carries a $27 service charge on a $17.50 face value ticket.

I want to know who made the money on the tickets sold through Vivid seats (there were no tickets on Ticketmaster or Stub hub...only Vivid). The Xcel center holds 17,000 people. How many MSHL Season Ticket holders are there? There has been a waiting list forever to get Season Tickets (and they have to approve you passing them to a family member). So you mean to tell me that hundreds of season ticket holders resell through Vivid for $60 to $120 mark-up from face value?

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:36 pm

Sk8 Str8 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:23 pm
So you mean to tell me that hundreds of season ticket holders resell through Vivid for $60 to $120 mark-up from face value?
Yes, has been going on forever. Used to be through scalpers, then Craigslist, now they use the ticket services. Supply and demand, people are willing to pay 500% or more markup.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:23 am

Season tickets issued by the MSHSL are just for the lower bowl I believe. The 200 section is general admission and those tickets went on sale two hours early, at least that's how it worked in the pre-Covid era...I think it's all e-ticket now. It's funny to go to the Friday or Saturday night games, at least before Covid, and they announce the 18,000+ attendance figure, but you see empty lower bowl seats from the re-sellers who couldn't dump their tickets or people that decided not to to to the game. Those can be claimed in the attendance figure since the seats were originally sold to someone. While state tourney attendance is impressive, the numbers are inflated a little bit.

I don't like the season ticket model, but I get it. It works for the MSHSL to create demand.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy