2022-23 Early Departures

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: 2022-23 Early Departures

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:45 pm

Any updated info out there ?

headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:04 pm

Rails Hockey wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:56 am
headsupsticksdown wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:57 pm
Rails Hockey wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:21 pm

Yeah, if a kid gets too good sometimes Dad just can’t help himself. He’ll get to watch him score about 200 goals on the B team this year. So there’s that….
Is it Dad? Always thought it was Mom? I hope J ends up sticking around, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t….

He’s only on B due to the sit out rule to transfers right?
I have no idea if it’s Mom or Dad, my statement was in jest. Yes, open enrolled can’t play on the top team. No A teams there this year. Screws up the whole District’s B program with a kid like that out there. I don’t know who J is, but I hope he sticks around too!
JH is the next top skater for Proctor, so you better build a fence around him. Now that the new rink/trail/whateveritis passed in HTown yesterday, watch the flood gates open now!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:58 am

If they have info , can people report who has returned from juniors for HS tryouts next week .

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:32 am

YHH confirmed that Ludtke will not be returning to Lakeville South this winter

westsidescout

Post by westsidescout » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:57 pm

minnscout wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:56 am
arcticpurple wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:43 pm
High Heat wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:54 pm

Strange move here. Didn’t Chaska just hire his dad as an assistant coach? Sioux Falls? Why such a low end program?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
not strange at all..for being a low end team, they seem to be doing well against the MN Tier 1 non-national bound teams. The level of competition they play all year is top notch...metal sharpens metal. Coaching is great and surrounding yourself with kids and coaches who have the same goal can't hurt ones development on and off the ice. Good for him! Chase your dream kid.
Sioux Falls u16 team is brutal. I have watched them 3 weekends this fall and they get destroyed by the good mn Tier 1 teams. U16 Blades , which is not a great team, has destroyed them each time they have played. Have they been fortunate last couple seasons to get a couple high end players come play a season, yes, but the team as a whole is average and that is why they are ranked 40th in the country currently and that doesn't count the non national bound teams.
Can't be too brutal, they played Shattuck tough last nite and lost 6-7. Shattuck top ranked u16 team and is absolutely stacked.

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:35 pm

Minnesotans parents are sending their 15 and 16 year olds to Sioux falls for winter to play hockey??? For the love of god please tell me this isnt a thing. Parents are awful people. Goodness gracious.

OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:55 pm

If we trust Andover Twitter:

Andover Boys Hockey @andoverhshockey
28m

You heard it here first. Official announcement:

Conway, Thoreson, and Casey are all returning for their senior year. #RollSkies

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:50 pm

westsidescout wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:57 pm
minnscout wrote:
arcticpurple wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:43 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
not strange at all..for being a low end team, they seem to be doing well against the MN Tier 1 non-national bound teams. The level of competition they play all year is top notch...metal sharpens metal. Coaching is great and surrounding yourself with kids and coaches who have the same goal can't hurt ones development on and off the ice. Good for him! Chase your dream kid.
Sioux Falls u16 team is brutal. I have watched them 3 weekends this fall and they get destroyed by the good mn Tier 1 teams. U16 Blades , which is not a great team, has destroyed them each time they have played. Have they been fortunate last couple seasons to get a couple high end players come play a season, yes, but the team as a whole is average and that is why they are ranked 40th in the country currently and that doesn't count the non national bound teams.
Can't be too brutal, they played Shattuck tough last nite and lost 6-7. Shattuck top ranked u16 team and is absolutely stacked.

Lost 8-2 today.

westsidescout

Post by westsidescout » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:54 pm

minnscout wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:50 pm
westsidescout wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:57 pm
minnscout wrote:

Lost 8-2 today.
...to the best U16 team in the US. I'm not seeing that as them being "brutal". Average or not very good might be a more fair description. Saying they're brutal seems like hyperbole when they went toe to toe with them the night before.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:16 pm

Maple Grove contacts - Gunderson will be at practice today ?

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:44 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:16 pm
My understanding is he suffered a significant injury about a week ago

Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:42 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:44 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Unfortunately that is correct. He will be out for a while is what’s been rumored

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:55 pm

Can Moorhead reps confirm status of kids who have been
playing juniors

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:10 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:44 pm
WestMetro wrote:
That is correct, he was moved to the IR on Madison’s list

Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:19 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:55 pm
Can Moorhead reps confirm status of kids who have been
playing juniors
Been told none are coming back

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:36 pm

When is last time Spuds lost 3 top varsity to juniors and 1 Bantam to NTDP, and at least one other was looking at alternatives ?
Could’ve/ should’ve been a state tourney finalist team , will be interesting to see where Karl puts them in rankings on Wednesday

HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:43 am

mnpuckster wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:35 pm
Minnesotans parents are sending their 15 and 16 year olds to Sioux falls for winter to play hockey??? For the love of god please tell me this isnt a thing. Parents are awful people. Goodness gracious.
Hard to imagine this is how things are...30 years ago it was unthinkable to see a kid leave MNHS. For some, staying in MNHS is important and thats awesome. Playing with your buddies and potentially in St Paul or even a big Section game is an irreplaceable memory. And for some, it will help them with opportunities. But even MNHS has become less about playing with your buddies, hence all the higher end programs getting players to transfer after their freshman year. Even MNSH parents are searching for "better" options for their players and there are probably 5-10 "higher end" players who transfer each year now in todays era.

That said, there is a lot that Tier 1 can offer a 3-month/25 game MNHS season cannot. It for one gets you outside of the cozy MN bubble, social life distractions, and be fully focused on hockey and training. For 8-9 months they are training 5-6 days, rigorous travel, likely billeting, learning to be independent, and manage their studies. Something that can better prepare them for Juniors/College and frankly life after hockey. But it isn't for everyone for sure and not all tier 1 programs are desirable either. There is a reason why there will probably be 35-40 high ends MN kids that could be playing MNHS this year that are not and playing Juniors and Tier 1 instead.

And the HSEL is not a good training option for kids to get better for the 2 months before MNHSL. No practicing, no coaching, no strength training, very little defense, and zero accountability and why the best players choose not to play it versus NAHL or USHL opportunities.

That is not to say leaving MNHS is the right way. It's just a way and times are much different compared to the past because junior leagues are much younger than they were even 10 years ago.

I can tell you from experience there are many high profile MNHS coaches who are not looking out for the best interest of their players. There are many who are more consumed with their own legacy at the expense of players long term development and are not actively trying to promote ALL their players for hockey after high school.

To say parents are awful who chose this direction is a bit short sided and ignorant.

Just my 2 cents...or 9 cents in this age of inflation.

Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:50 am

HockeyTalk2020 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:43 am
mnpuckster wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:35 pm
Hard to imagine this is how things are...30 years ago it was unthinkable to see a kid leave MNHS. For some, staying in MNHS is important and thats awesome. Playing with your buddies and potentially in St Paul or even a big Section game is an irreplaceable memory. And for some, it will help them with opportunities. But even MNHS has become less about playing with your buddies, hence all the higher end programs getting players to transfer after their freshman year. Even MNSH parents are searching for "better" options for their players and there are probably 5-10 "higher end" players who transfer each year now in todays era.

That said, there is a lot that Tier 1 can offer a 3-month/25 game MNHS season cannot. It for one gets you outside of the cozy MN bubble, social life distractions, and be fully focused on hockey and training. For 8-9 months they are training 5-6 days, rigorous travel, likely billeting, learning to be independent, and manage their studies. Something that can better prepare them for Juniors/College and frankly life after hockey. But it isn't for everyone for sure and not all tier 1 programs are desirable either. There is a reason why there will probably be 35-40 high ends MN kids that could be playing MNHS this year that are not and playing Juniors and Tier 1 instead.

And the HSEL is not a good training option for kids to get better for the 2 months before MNHSL. No practicing, no coaching, no strength training, very little defense, and zero accountability and why the best players choose not to play it versus NAHL or USHL opportunities.

That is not to say leaving MNHS is the right way. It's just a way and times are much different compared to the past because junior leagues are much younger than they were even 10 years ago.

I can tell you from experience there are many high profile MNHS coaches who are not looking out for the best interest of their players. There are many who are more consumed with their own legacy at the expense of players long term development and are not actively trying to promote ALL their players for hockey after high school.

To say parents are awful who chose this direction is a bit short sided and ignorant.

Just my 2 cents...or 9 cents in this age of inflation.
All very good points HT. If I could, I’d like to add that colleges are behind this as well. The top kids in MNHS (D1 commits) are faced with a choice when it comes to playing in college. Not many will be able to go right from HS to college unless they play at least a year of juniors. That puts them in the position of jumping to juniors early so they can enter college as an 18-19 year old player
and not have to wait until they are older and have spent their senior year playing HS. Unless they want to play at Mankato 😉

The hockey landscape has changed just like everything else has. The “kids should play with their friends, kids they’ve grown up playing with, etc” is no longer a big part of the decision for the top players. It’s time to turn the page on “the olden says” and accept the facts. I’m not saying I agree but it is what it is. That’s the beauty of freedom. The Elite League has become stale. In the future more of the “Elite” kids will not be playing in it because it doesn’t offer much outside of putting the players in a position to play each game in front of so many scouts/colleges. It’s really good for that. The top players don’t need that exposure.

Talk to most colleges or scouts Minnesota kids are viewed differently than most others from around the country due to the fact they haven’t lived independently, haven’t had to deal with the grind of junior hockey or much adversity thru HS. They want to see them struggle and see that they can figure things out on their own. That will only help them succeed when they get to the next level.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:22 am

On the other hand , even most of top 50 of MSHSL kids will never earn a dime playing pro hockey , so what’s the rush ? Most of the top 25 get D1 commits after soph or jr season . So , finish HS here, play in HSEL or Blades or both offseason with many S & C options , then go on to play juniors , and then finish career at D1, or D3 for the rest of the top 50 . Very few will earn much pro money unless they go to Europe

Agree with whoever above said that HS programs need to do better job of promoting the community hockey and their kids nowadays . I would add Blue Line Clubs to that list . Cannot expected coaching staffs to do everything . Several of the programs already have good robust social media and outreach to college and juniors personnel , and others could learn from them

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:30 pm

I feel like a "hockey has changed, kids don't care about playing with their friends and winning a HS title" sweeping statement is made every year or two, and yet unless someone has some actual data showing a significant increase in eventual MN D1 players leaving HS early, I call BS. Is the "early departures" list getting longer every year?

The NTDP will always pull a few top players, and it seems great players on teams with no chance to win a HS title leave early with some regularity, but the pull to be a part of a great MN HS team still appears strong. Sure, there are occasional exoduses, but those seem to happen when a team has either already won a title (GR in 2017, Herm this year), or as the result of a coaching controversy.

If anything, the unfortunate uptick in transfers to top programs is an indicator that the desire to win at HS is as strong as ever. (Or, at least the desire for the players' parents to brag on social media is as strong as ever.) 8)

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:39 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:22 am
Agree with whoever above said that HS programs need to do better job of promoting the community hockey and their kids nowadays . I would add Blue Line Clubs to that list . Cannot expected coaching staffs to do everything . Several of the programs already have good robust social media and outreach to college and juniors personnel , and others could learn from them
=D>

Potatohead9

Post by Potatohead9 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:07 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:36 pm
When is last time Spuds lost 3 top varsity to juniors and 1 Bantam to NTDP, and at least one other was looking at alternatives ?
Could’ve/ should’ve been a state tourney finalist team , will be interesting to see where Karl puts them in rankings on Wednesday
1 sophmore (S. Laurilla) to NTDP, and three seniors to play Juniors (Bentz, Schiller and Gramer) and nine that graduated from last year's team there will be 11 new players on the Varsity. I don't see this team in the top 10. *Bantam AA team won state last year. I hear Coach Ammerman is on the hot seat.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:57 am

Would be interesting to see a comprehensive list of players from the top teams lost to Juniors and the NTDP.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:14 am

Potatohead9 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:07 pm
WestMetro wrote:
1 sophmore (S. Laurilla) to NTDP, and three seniors to play Juniors (Bentz, Schiller and Gramer) and nine that graduated from last year's team there will be 11 new players on the Varsity. I don't see this team in the top 10. *Bantam AA team won state last year. I hear Coach Ammerman is on the hot seat.
Rumor mill True on Coach Ammerman they want him out in Spudville? Been a consistent State Tournament team since he took over but of late they seem to lose the first round game often once they get to St Paul. I heard people wanted Cullen to be the guy now 2 years ago but I thought that was not true as Ammerman kept putting out good teams. Interesting if he is on the hot seat. Got his start at Class A Windom! Also seemed like a nice guy and teams played hard and were structured and well coached from watching them online. Surprised me to read that but maybe the surge of early departs are part of it.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:56 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:14 am
Potatohead9 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:07 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Rumor mill True on Coach Ammerman they want him out in Spudville? Been a consistent State Tournament team since he took over but of late they seem to lose the first round game often once they get to St Paul. I heard people wanted Cullen to be the guy now 2 years ago but I thought that was not true as Ammerman kept putting out good teams. Interesting if he is on the hot seat. Got his start at Class A Windom! Also seemed like a nice guy and teams played hard and were structured and well coached from watching them online. Surprised me to read that but maybe the surge of early departs are part of it.
I tend to agree with you, but how many HS head coaches are not deemed to be on the hot seat? I don't think that list is very long.