NIL coming to a high school near you

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

NIL coming to a high school near you

Post by Sparlimb » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:49 am

https://twitter.com/MSHSL/status/1534197787407130624

The Board approves a Name Image Likeness (NIL) policy for students participating in MSHSL sports and activities. The policy protects students' amateur status.

Wonder if that will change anything. I doubt it, but we'll see. It surely has affected collegiate sports, although not as much in hockey.

ryguyMN

Re: NIL coming to a high school near you

Post by ryguyMN » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:17 pm

It feels unnecessary and can see trouble with it. I don't know if kids are "adult" enough at that age to deal with the added benefits. I can definitely see egos expanding among athletes and even parents if one kid is being comp'ed more than the rest of the team. At least the MSHSL put something in there to keep recruiting from being out of control, but I could see kids "moving" to other schools where the pay might be more.

Restrictions:
  • The compensation is not contingent on specific athletic performance or achievement (e.g., financial incentives based on points scored).
  • The compensation (or prospective compensation) is not provided as an inducement to attend a particular school (“recruiting”) or to remain enrolled at a particular school.
  • The compensation is commensurate with market value.
  • The compensation is not provided by the school or an agent of the school (e.g., booster club, foundation, etc.).
  • NIL activities must not interfere with a student-athlete’s academic obligations.
  • A student must not miss athletic practice, competition, travel, or other team obligations in order to participate in an NIL opportunity.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 am

I do not like it.

Now get off my lawn.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:16 pm

I don’t know if NIL/MSHSL rules will permit compensation for just individuals , or members of teams also? Example : what if 5 girls got together and split the revenue for a commercial , including the phrase “ we play hockey in Andover , Mn” or a T-shirt picture which said “ Andover girls hockey “ . Without specifically naming the Association or High School.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:09 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:16 pm
I don’t know if NIL/MSHSL rules will permit compensation for just individuals , or members of teams also? Example : what if 5 girls got together and split the revenue for a commercial , including the phrase “ we play hockey in Andover , Mn” or a T-shirt picture which said “ Andover girls hockey “ . Without specifically naming the Association or High School.
Not sure about the group compensation, but it’s pretty clear that any indication the money is tied to a specific program is not allowed. I’m fairly certain your examples would fall under that. Maybe 10-15 years down the road we’ll see issues like this start to pop up, but for now I’d imagine most will play it pretty safe.