CEC HS Boys- Move to A?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

CEC HS Boys- Move to A?

Post by WestMetro »

Matter being discussed again/ input gathered ?

Can Jacks forum members clarify?
ClassAGuy

Re: CEC HS Boys- Move to AA?

Post by ClassAGuy »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 pm Matter being discussed again/ input gathered ?

Do you mean move to Class A ?

Confused they are in 7AA now
Dog

Post by Dog »

I believe nothing is set in stone. They put out a questionnaire on the topic to all HS and youth hockey families (last week?). My understanding is that the board will look at those and make a decision before the deadline.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:16 pm
WestMetro wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 pm Matter being discussed again/ input gathered ?

Yup , Class A
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:21 pm

Yup , Class A
I changed the topic name, just to alleviate any residual confusion. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Jacks do a reverse Hermantown: A at youth, AA at HS. :lol:
StanleyCup55

Re: CEC HS Boys- Move to A?

Post by StanleyCup55 »

I’m surprised Hermantown doesn’t just play jr gold… they’d win state every year and not just participate in it.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:17 am Update

https://t.co/sMFkx0FIqQ
Nice! Cloquet be a good add for Class A Maybe even push Hermantown a bit. I would expect Duluth Marshall to come down as well with a new coach and just really struggling with numbers. Elk River back over to 7AA maybe even Brainerd like the old days?

Rogers then back to 8AA...
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

What does CEC really gain by this move? As long as Hermantown is in 7A, that means if you are good enough to win 7A, you are good enough to win 7AA. Hermantown regularly beats the eventual AA champion. So instead of losing in the 7AA semis, CEC will get smoked in the 7A title game. Is that worth giving up the pride that comes with being one of the few public schools that opt up to AA?

The article states that 90% of families polled were in favor of the move to A, yet the coaches were not enthusiastic about it. I think the parents see that since moving to A at youth, CEC teams are higher in the A rankings, win a lot of games, and even made it to state. These are all great things, but the error the parents are likely making is that they believe success at A in youth translates to success at A in HS. It doesn't. I've made this error, Denfeld fans had their illusions shattered the last two years, and Warroad felt it last year.

No matter how much butt you kick in A at the youth levels, the only criteria for determining your chances of going to state from 7A in HS are: How did we do vs Hermantown AA youth teams? Sure, CEC bantams made it to state last year, but they lost to Hermantown AA 6-2; the pee wees lost 8-2. How's that going to shake out at HS when those two age groups come together and Hermantown adds at least two stud transfers along the way? Ask Denfeld, whose state-bound bantam team finished ranked #3 after a 44-10 season in which they lost to Hermantown AA 3-2, only to meet three years later in the 7A title game, where Hermantown won 11-1! #-o

Unlike the parents, the coaches see clearly how the Class A landscape transforms from youth to HS. They know there isn't much to gain by going to A. At least in the article the CEC AD said that going to A is only a two year option that can be periodically revisited, so perhaps those CEC squirts who are currently ranked #1 will one day get a chance to show what they can do on the biggest stage.

If CEC parents are clamoring to opt down holding on to the hope that Hermantown will eventually opt up to AA, well, they'll fit right in in 7A. :oops:
Last edited by rainier2 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

rainier2 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:10 am What does CEC really gain by this move? As long as Hermantown is in 7A, that means if you are good enough to win 7A, you are good enough to win 7AA. Hermantown regularly beats the eventual AA champion. So instead of losing in the 7AA semis, CEC will get smoked in the 7A title game. Is that worth giving up the pride that comes with being one of the few public schools that opt up to AA?

The article states that 90% of families polled were in favor of the move to A, yet the coaches were not enthusiastic about it. I think the parents see that since moving to A at youth, CEC teams are higher in the A rankings, win a lot of games, and even made it to state. These are all great things, but the error the parents are likely making is that they believe success at A in youth translates to success at A in HS. It doesn't. I've made this error, Denfeld fans had their illusions shattered the last two years, and Warroad felt it last year.

No matter how much butt you kick in A at the youth levels, the only criteria for determining your chances of going to state from 7A in HS are: How did we do vs Hermantown AA youth teams? Sure, CEC bantams made it to state last year, but they lost to Hermantown AA 6-2; the pee wees lost 8-2. How's that going to shake out at HS when those two age groups come together and Hermantown adds at least two stud transfers along the way? Ask Denfeld, whose state-bound bantam team finished ranked #3 after a 44-10 season in which they lost to Hermantown AA 3-2, only to meet three years later in the 7A title game, where Hermantown won 11-1! #-o

Unlike the parents, the coaches see clearly how the Class A landscape transforms from youth to HS. They know there isn't much to gain by going to A. At least in the article the CEC AD said that going to A is only a two year option that can be periodically revisited, so perhaps those CEC squirts who are currently ranked #1 will one day get a chance to show what they can do on the biggest stage.

If CEC parents are clamoring to opt down holding on to the hope that Hermantown will eventually opt up to AA, well, they'll fit right in 7A. :oops:
Love it rainier and my apologies I didn't mean to turn this into a Hermantown hate thread there is a separate one for that haha.

Bigger implications I think are for AA with 7AA losing CEC and Duluth Marshall... Would that lead to 7AA grabbing Elk River again which in turn could lead to 8AA grabbing Rogers.

Meaning Andover wins 7AA and Rogers in 8AA could be a threat to knock off Moorhead, especially if the trend of massive early Departures becomes a trend, then could we see what the north has been fearing a AA tournament with Andover and Rogers representing the "North" ....
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:19 am
rainier2 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:10 am What does CEC really gain by this move? As long as Hermantown is in 7A, that means if you are good enough to win 7A, you are good enough to win 7AA. Hermantown regularly beats the eventual AA champion. So instead of losing in the 7AA semis, CEC will get smoked in the 7A title game. Is that worth giving up the pride that comes with being one of the few public schools that opt up to AA?

If CEC parents are clamoring to opt down holding on to the hope that Hermantown will eventually opt up to AA, well, they'll fit right in 7A. :oops:
Love it rainier and my apologies I didn't mean to turn this into a Hermantown hate thread there is a separate one for that haha.

Bigger implications I think are for AA with 7AA losing CEC and Duluth Marshall... Would that lead to 7AA grabbing Elk River again which in turn could lead to 8AA grabbing Rogers.

Meaning Andover wins 7AA and Rogers in 8AA could be a threat to knock off Moorhead, especially if the trend of massive early Departures becomes a trend, then could we see what the north has been fearing a AA tournament with Andover and Rogers representing the "North" ....
No hating on Hermantown here; just stating facts that anyone can look up. And this thread is about CEC program deciding whether to go to A, not what the future of 7AA or 8AA looks like. [-X 8)
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

rainier2 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 am
ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:19 am

No hating on Hermantown here; just stating facts that anyone can look up. And this thread is about CEC program deciding whether to go to A, not what the future of 7AA or 8AA looks like. [-X 8)
Haha good point rainier.... Back on track CEC to Class A would be good for Class A. Hoping it happens!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Had a nice long post written supporting Cloquet as AA but somehow did not get posted.
I blame Lee as he wants CEC out of AA to give the DEast an easier rode to finishing third in 7AA.

Anyway, stay AA Cloquet.

And Hibbing, Rock Ridge and even IFalls (if the new industry p there takes off) can join in.
Wouldn't that be nice 7AA mostly north.
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Almost disappeared again.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:00 am Had a nice long post written supporting Cloquet as AA but somehow did not get posted.
I blame Lee as he wants CEC out of AA to give the DEast an easier rode to finishing third in 7AA.

Anyway, stay AA Cloquet.

And Hibbing, Rock Ridge and even IFalls (if the new industry p there takes off) can join in.
Nah, Cloquet can stay. I want East in Class A so they can take their annual shot at Hermanclown :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:06 pm
elliott70 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:00 am Had a nice long post written supporting Cloquet as AA but somehow did not get posted.

Anyway, stay AA Cloquet.

Nah, Cloquet can stay. I want East in Class A so they can take their annual shot at Hermanclown :mrgreen:

Lee
I thought DEast disbanded.
Saw them play and it sure looked like it.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:37 pm
east hockey wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:06 pm

Anyway, stay AA Cloquet.

Lee
I thought DEast disbanded.
Saw them play and it sure looked like it.
Should have watched them play Brrrrmidji :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

If CEC parents are clamoring to opt down holding on to the hope that Hermantown will eventually opt up to AA, well, they'll fit right in in 7A. :oops:
Or maybe the parents just want their kids to have fun playing a game that will stop for most at 18? Not everyone subscribes to the idea that you have to develop kids to be the best hockey players they can possibly be, some just want to have fun. I don't think I've seen it mentioned in this thread but what are the numbers like in Cloquet? Are they fielding a nearly full Varsity and JV team every year?
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

With Stella Maris Academy adding Hockey and CEC moving down for sure that adds 2 teams to an already loaded 7A (10 teams)

Best guess is the two/three furthest south get to go to 5A like Proctor, Moose Lake and Hermantown for years.

Logical to think that this is a genius move by the Lumberjacks as they will be placed in 5A not 7A next year

Them and Moose Lake seem most Likely to go to 5A

Lumberjacks become instant favorite for State in that Section!
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:56 pm With Stella Maris Academy adding Hockey and CEC moving down for sure that adds 2 teams to an already loaded 7A (10 teams)

Best guess is the two/three furthest south get to go to 5A like Proctor, Moose Lake and Hermantown for years.

Logical to think that this is a genius move by the Lumberjacks as they will be placed in 5A not 7A next year

Is Duluth Marshall also going to Class A?
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

I thought Stella Maris folded it's attempt for hockey. Rumor I heard was they couldn't get enough kids for a team.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Upfan111 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:49 pm I thought Stella Maris folded it's attempt for hockey. Rumor I heard was they couldn't get enough kids for a team.
If true, this would be a darn shame…. Can anyone confirm?
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

rainier2 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:44 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:56 pm With Stella Maris Academy adding Hockey and CEC moving down for sure that adds 2 teams to an already loaded 7A (10 teams)

Is Duluth Marshall also going to Class A?
Good Question I would think yes they are really struggling but also didnt the last time when they were struggling as well.

If DM and CEC go A that would create a 7A with 12 teams and would bump a few south.

Seems very likely CEC could be in 5A and not 7A