Hermantown at Warroad

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hermantown
53%
Warroad
47%

Total votes: 17

elliott70

Hermantown at Warroad

Post by elliott70 »

Who wins?

top two single A and top ten or better AA teams if they had bumped up.
Mite-dad

Re: Hermantown at Warroad

Post by Mite-dad »

Warroad ties it late 3-3, then no one scores in ot. :D
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Warroad has 2 high end forwards and a fantastic goalie. They are very opportunistic and watching those two forwards pass and cycle is fun. They do take a lot of chances and get lack in their defensive zone, but their goaltender bales them out as seen by giving up over 40 shots to Roseau. I know nothing about Hermantown, but if they roll 3 lines and have a few guys that can finish, I will give the nod to them.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

#1 Hermantown (10-0-1) @ #2 Warroad (13-0-0) Game Day Preview

The Class A Game of the Year has arrived featuring the rematch of last year's Class A State Championship and this years last two remaining unbeatens. This one has all the makings of a classic as can the top end skill of the Warriors on their big sheet at the Gardens be too much for the deep defending champion Hawks?

First Line vs Depth- Everyone knows the Warriors will run through their top line of #22 Murray Marvin-Cordes- #18 Carson Pilgrim- #17 Jayson Shaugabay who has accumulated an outstanding 109 points in only 13 games played so far this year. Warroad will play them early and often throughout the evening and they never seem to get tired and on a big sheet their skillsets are even more dangerous.

The Hawks will counter with their typical 3 good lines of depth. The #4 Wyatt Carlson and #17 Matthew &#19 Joshua Kauppinen has clicked all year as the top line and the second line features Junior standout #24 Dallas Vieau and sophomore #23 River Freeman. How much if at all #11 Kade Kohanski plays tonight, who has been out since game two of the year with injury, is a big factor as once you add the leading returning scorer from last year to the top 6 mix it will make Hermantown very difficult to match up with.

The Blue line Battle - Both teams have star power on the blue line. The Hawks are led by #22 George Peterson who has been the ignitor in many ways for the Hawks both on the back end and scoring as he is the teams 2nd leading scorer. When the Hawks pair him with #9 Will Esterbrooks they are a top shutdown d pair and have gone toe to toe with AA’s best all winter. I would expect they play them together tonight against the top line of the Warriors and #8 Drew Nelson and #12 Nolan Baker to add to solid Hemrantown D-core.

The Warriors have a great d-core of their own as the smooth skating playmaking ability of #2 Eric Comstock and the physical jump into the rush style of #25 Ryan Lund make them Class A top d pair and both have over 20 points. #27 Will Hardwick and emerging freshman #21 Broden Hontvet also give the Warriors a good defensive depth

Goaltending- The Hawks have split their goaltenders more then I would have thought but their stud is Dane Callaway. He has posted decent numbers (4-0-0) record 2.00 GAA .893 SV%. The senior Garron Opsahl actually has better numbers going (6-0-1) 1.40 GAA .926 SV % but it's Callaway’s turn in the rotation and I would be surprised not to see him in the net.

Warroad's Hampton Slukynsky is one of the states top goaltenders. The D1 commit has posted an eye popping (12-0-0) record 1.57 GAA .938 SV% stat line on the year. But he has given up 4 goals in each of his last two starts before taking the Crookston game off for rest he will need to be his normal razor sharp self today.

Special Teams- The Hawks come in with good special teams numbers having 26.5 % PP unit and 90% kill with PK unit which are very good numbers but not when compared to Warroad’s units. The Warriors special teams have been the difference for them all year as their PP unit is clicking at a ridiculous 39% which is only outdone by the PK unit which 96.4% and has scored now 15 shorthanded goals on the year.

This looks like a great match-up and more than likely the preview for the Class A Title in March. Can’t wait to sit back and watch the Class A Game of the Year
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Not just class A but
Mn high school hockey
Game of the year
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Nice job class a
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:26 am Not just class A but
Mn high school hockey
Game of the year
Agree this a great Great game regardless of Class and is the regular season game of the year. Should be a good. The Warriors getting the big sheet will help but Hawks can get up and go with the best of them.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Enjoyed reading your analysis as always A. I actually considered driving up from Eagan for this one, but will stick here & go to a local game.
I hope this isn't one of those well-hyped games that turns out to be a one-sided disaster, but I don't think so.
Anyone know of a live feed with this?
OtterPuck

Post by OtterPuck »

It’s on YHH I believe.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Game will be streamed by YHH at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjYWEKOXNFA
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:28 am Game will be streamed by YHH at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjYWEKOXNFA
Otterpuck & Class A,
Thanks guys.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Looks like Hermantown leads 2-1 maybe still in the first period. Can't tell where in the game from the 3 min. highlight reel I found.

DISREGARD. Wrongly labeled you-tube highlight I found.
Last edited by raidergrad72 on Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OtterPuck

Post by OtterPuck »

Hermantown 1
Warroad 1
2nd Period
OtterPuck

Post by OtterPuck »

If YHH isn’t coming in, try KARE11.com
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

OtterPuck wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:56 pm If YHH isn’t coming in, try KARE11.com
Got it. Thanks, Otterpuck!

Warroad 3-1 final over Hermantown.