Games Friday 2-3-23

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Games Friday 2-3-23

Post by elliott70 »

Grand Rapids vs Andover - Andover Community Center - Andover, MN 7:00 PM CST
Prior Lake vs Chaska - Chaska Community Center 7:00 PM CST

Champlin Park vs Duluth East - Essentia Duluth Heritage Center 7:00 PM CST
St. Paul Johnson vs Ely - Ely Ice Arena 7:00 PM CST

Rosemount vs Farmington - Schmitz-Maki Arena 7:00 PM CST
Edina vs Hill-Murray - Aldrich Ice Arena 7:00 PM CST

Dodge County vs Hopkins - Hopkins Pavilion 7:00 PM CST
Northern Lakes vs Little Falls - Exchange Arena 7:00 PM CST

Becker/Big Lake vs Moose Lake Area - Riverside Arena 7:00 PM CST
Northern Edge vs Mora/Milaca - Mora Civic Center 7:00 PM CST

Hibbing/Chisholm vs North Shore - Rukavina Arena 7:00 PM CST
Fairmont vs Rochester Lourdes - Graham Arena Complex 7:00 PM CST

STMA vs Roseau - Roseau Memorial Arena 7:00 PM CST
Maple Grove vs Rogers - Bloomington Ice Garden 7:00 PM CST

Rock Ridge vs Brainerd - Brainerd High School 7:15 PM CST
Hutchinson vs Breck - Breck School Anderson Ice Arena 7:15 PM CST

Prairie Centre vs River Lakes - River Lakes Civic Arena 7:15 PM CST
Duluth Denfeld vs Sartell-St. Stephen - Bernicks Pepsi Arena 7:15 PM CST

Greenway vs Crookston - Crookston Sports Center 7:30 PM CST
Thief River Falls vs Warroad - Gardens Arena 7:30 PM CST

New Ulm vs Windom - Windom Arena 7:30 PM CST
elliott70

Re: Games Friday 2-3-23

Post by elliott70 »

Games of the Day
Grand Rapids vs Andover - Andover Community Center - Andover, MN 7:00 PM CST

Champlin Park vs Duluth East - Essentia Duluth Heritage Center 7:00 PM CST

Edina vs Hill-Murray - Aldrich Ice Arena 7:00 PM CST

Northern Lakes vs Little Falls - Exchange Arena 7:00 PM CST

Maple Grove vs Rogers - Bloomington Ice Garden 7:00 PM CST

Rock Ridge vs Brainerd - Brainerd High School 7:15 PM CST

Duluth Denfeld vs Sartell-St. Stephen - Bernicks Pepsi Arena 7:15 PM CST
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Due to some unkown incident in the Little Falls High School, the LF vs NL game has been postponed tonight and may be played tomorrow evening in Brainerd. Not solidified yet I'm told.
OtterPuck

Post by OtterPuck »

Tonight’s Northern Lakes @ Little Falls game has been postponed until tomorrow @ 7:30, Varsity only, at the Essentia Health Sports Center in Brainerd.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Denfeld at Sartell is also canceled/postponed
Also Champlin Park at East, making me wonder if there is a flu outbreak in the Duluth school district?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

4-2 Rogers over Maple Grove late in 2nd period. MG broke up its top line recently. I don’t get the decision at all. They’ve gone downhill since. If it’s not broke, why fix it? Decision is gonna make them 4th seed in section 5AA. Dumb.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

SpreadOut! wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 pm 4-2 Rogers over Maple Grove late in 2nd period. MG broke up its top line recently. I don’t get the decision at all. They’ve gone downhill since. If it’s not broke, why fix it? Decision is gonna make them 4th seed in section 5AA. Dumb.
Seems to me that Grand Rapids did that mid-season the year they won state, and then figured out it wasn't a smart idea, got the three back together and they took off from there. May be a lesson for the Crimson there.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

east hockey wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 pm
SpreadOut! wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 pm 4-2 Rogers over Maple Grove late in 2nd period. MG broke up its top line recently. I don’t get the decision at all. They’ve gone downhill since. If it’s not broke, why fix it? Decision is gonna make them 4th seed in section 5AA. Dumb.
Seems to me that Grand Rapids did that mid-season the year they won state, and then figured out it wasn't a smart idea, got the three back together and they took off from there. May be a lesson for the Crimson there.

Lee
I hope so. At least in games that have mattered, EVERYTHING…offense, defense, goaltending…has gone south since they made the change, which I believe was after they lost to Champlin Park 2-1 after tying Rogers 3-3. I get the urge maybe to mix things up after those two games, but they had won 10 in a row before that, including beating several highly ranked teams—Wayzata, Andover, Cretin—in process. But the changed lineup just hasn’t worked. Got beat 7-6 (!) by Centennial and 5-2 by Rogers. Now they’ve played themselves into being #4 seed in 5AA and will have to beat Rogers in semifinals before even getting chance to play for return trip to state. They’ve got three more game against tough competition in regular season to right the ship. Lineup in next game—against Andover next Saturday—will be telling.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Edina 2
Hill 1

Looks like the Hornets scored the winning goal with 3 minutes to play. Shots basically even. Looks like the Pios hung in there well. Hoping to steal the 2nd game tonight!
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

I was at the game, Edina, pretty much controlled, play through the majority of the game, however, Hill’s Defense clogged up the middle and didn’t allow many quality shots. I expect things to be different at hornets home ice tonight, but who knows?
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

inthetwine wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:29 am I was at the game, Edina, pretty much controlled, play through the majority of the game, however, Hill’s Defense clogged up the middle and didn’t allow many quality shots. I expect things to be different at hornets home ice tonight, but who knows?
Thanks for the description. I didn’t get a chance to see the game. But sort of how I would expect the game to play out.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I think last night's game was the one to steal, with the classic keep it close, then pop one in late. There were too many stretches where Hill didn't have enough zip. Especially in the middle of the 3rd, Edina was getting a lot of shots on goal, and Hill only had 2 or 3 good scoring chances.

There were a lot more penalties than is typical for these teams. Normally the over/under on penalties for these games in 1.5, or even .5. I was surprised Edina was 0 for 3 on the PP. On the first two, they held it in the zone for long stretches and moved the very well.

The winning goal by Nevers was a nice hard shot, breaking in on the left. I think Erickson got a piece of it with his glove, but it flew just inside the far upper corner.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:55 am I think last night's game was the one to steal, with the classic keep it close, then pop one in late. There were too many stretches where Hill didn't have enough zip. Especially in the middle of the 3rd, Edina was getting a lot of shots on goal, and Hill only had 2 or 3 good scoring chances.

There were a lot more penalties than is typical for these teams. Normally the over/under on penalties for these games in 1.5, or even .5. I was surprised Edina was 0 for 3 on the PP. On the first two, they held it in the zone for long stretches and moved the very well.

The winning goal by Nevers was a nice hard shot, breaking in on the left. I think Erickson got a piece of it with his glove, but it flew just inside the far upper corner.
I was able to watch the game on the big tv last night. It was exactly the kind of game HM needs to play if they want to beat the good teams. 2-1 and 3-2 are the type of games that are in range. I actually thought Hill played well, had plenty of chances but just couldn't finish. Edina was way more physical, and won pretty much every faceoff. I would assume HM's 4th game in 6 days will make them even more sluggish tonight. We'll see. Erickson played great in goal though. Held the team in it for sure.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:41 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:55 am I think last night's game was the one to steal, with the classic keep it close, then pop one in late. There were too many stretches where Hill didn't have enough zip. Especially in the middle of the 3rd, Edina was getting a lot of shots on goal, and Hill only had 2 or 3 good scoring chances.

I was able to watch the game on the big tv last night. It was exactly the kind of game HM needs to play if they want to beat the good teams. 2-1 and 3-2 are the type of games that are in range. I actually thought Hill played well, had plenty of chances but just couldn't finish. Edina was way more physical, and won pretty much every faceoff. I would assume HM's 4th game in 6 days will make them even more sluggish tonight. We'll see. Erickson played great in goal though. Held the team in it for sure.
Agreed, Hill did play well overall, and Erickson had some nice saves. The D did a good job clearing out loose pucks. Edina was very aggressive, hitting hard and skating fast. Hill had to move the puck fast, which the didn't do enough of.

And now that you mention it, it wasn't the best week for the make-up game with Mahtomedi on Monday, along with the scheduled Wed match with the Zephyrs. But I guess you make up the postponed games when you can, not when it's ideal.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Ever since they went to the home and home, it feels like Hill often has played as well or better at Braemar on Saturday than at Aldrich on Friday. Tonight should be a fun one.
East Side Pioneer Guy

I'm from Minnesota, so I need to be home in time for the ten o'clock news. Thus, the late 8:00 puck drop means I won't be making the trip this time.
Hockey Is For Everyone