Revolution Tier 1 AAA

Discussion of AAA Hockey

Moderator: Mitch Hawker

barry_mcconnell

Revolution Tier 1 AAA

Post by barry_mcconnell » Thu May 02, 2013 10:30 am

Couple things.

First, why wouldn't they move the location a bit closer to the Twin Cities? Mason City, IA is about 90min closer. Will they ever practice in MN?

Second, how good does a kid need to be to make one of these teams? Wondering about hard working kids with lots of ambition that might lack pure talent.

forgotmypasswordagain

Post by forgotmypasswordagain » Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 am

does your kid have skates and can you write a check?

then I'd say your kid has a good shot. go to the tryouts and report back.

They are in DM to get the DM kids too. That should tell you a lot.

My ex forwarded this too me last week. JF is banned from USA hockey per the RS dad who had a kid on his team.

All,
My name is J-F Quintin.

For the past 5 years I was the owner/operator for the Russell Stover 95 AAA, 97 AAA, 98 AAA, 99 AAA, 00 AAA and 01 AAA hockey teams. I also served as the head coach of the Russell Stover 95 AAA, 97 AAA, 98 AAA and the 99 AAA teams respectively, during that time. Recently, I`ve decided to take a step back from youth hockey. With that being said, Russell Stover will no longer exist at the Tier 1/AAA youth level.

In the past few weeks, I have learned that the principals of Northern Educate are going to be opening a Hockey Academy at Metro Ice Sports Facility in Des Moines this fall. As part this, Northern Educate will be rostering teams for Tier 1 AAA hockey at all age levels, for both boys and girls for this season and beyond. It will be called Revolution Tier 1 Hockey. The web site will be up Monday morning www.revolutiontier1hockey.com.

This is exciting news! For the players that were part of my program for many years, I strongly endorse Northern Educate. The principals from Northern Educate and Revolution Tier 1 Hockey have a similar vision, passion, dedication, work ethic and credibility that it takes to make a Youth AAA/Tier 1 hockey program a success. Tier 1 AAA hockey in the Midwest is in good hands with Northern Educate!

With that being said, look for Northern Educate and Revolution Tier 1 Hockey to make an announcement with all information including the try out dates Monday morning.

Blueliner16

Post by Blueliner16 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 am

JF is banned cause he is up on federal drug charges.

Has anyone heard of anybody trying out for the team?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:20 am

I thought itwas a ponzi scam.

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell » Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 am

Blueliner16 wrote:JF is banned cause he is up on federal drug charges.

Has anyone heard of anybody trying out for the team?
Whoa. Give us a source for this information. Saying a guy is facing federal drug charges is kind of a big thing. Some might even say slanderous.

forgotmypasswordagain

Post by forgotmypasswordagain » Sat May 04, 2013 4:04 pm

He is named in a federal case out of Kansas City as part of a large group of people who were smuggling drugs with intent to distribute.

Ask anyone who played on his 99 RS team. It is not a joke or slander.

imlisteningtothefnsong

Revolution Tier 1 AAA

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Sat May 04, 2013 10:15 pm

What does some guy twisting up and selling some Bob Marley's from a defunct program have to do with this thread? One man' s failures are another's success. Revolution is just another option. Right for everyone, nope. Right for some, sure. Get more kids skating and everyone wins!

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell » Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 am

forgotmypasswordagain wrote:He is named in a federal case out of Kansas City as part of a large group of people who were smuggling drugs with intent to distribute.

Ask anyone who played on his 99 RS team. It is not a joke or slander.
Is there a link to an article to confirm this?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:19 am

Tryouts should have a nice turnout I know 99's that are going just as another option.

Blueliner16

Post by Blueliner16 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 am

$60 for two weekends of try outs is pretty darn cheap

Snapper02

Post by Snapper02 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:16 am

JFQ has nothing to do with the Revolution program. He had a lot to do with the Russell Stover program which is now the Jr Mavericks. He has nothing to do with the Mavericks. He can't have anything to do with any hockey program. The email he sent to his 02, 01, 00, 99 contact list was to endorse the Revolution. That's it!

This revolution program is a great option for players to practice with a strong group of kids in their own birthyear and play a schedule that includes a lot of the top teams and players in the US and Canada.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:16 am

Plus gas to Iowa.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Plus gas to Iowa.
If anyone is worried about the cost of a tank of gas to Iowa they are definitely not a candidate for a Tier I commitment.
Be kind. Rewind.

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:24 am

Think twice before making the long trip if you are the parent of a '99 goalie. Revolution Hockey Director has a step son who is a '99. Only reason he is making the trip up from Florida to head this thing up. It will be a very, very long season to sit the bench if your kid is the second goalie.

Snapper02

Post by Snapper02 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Puckstopper81 wrote:Think twice before making the long trip if you are the parent of a '99 goalie. Revolution Hockey Director has a step son who is a '99. Only reason he is making the trip up from Florida to head this thing up. It will be a very, very long season to sit the bench if your kid is the second goalie.
Or the other way to look at is if you are another top 99 goalie like he is what a tandem you will make sharing games on the team.

Snapper02

Post by Snapper02 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Revolution starts to announce its coaching line up

1999 Coach - Steve Yurichuk

Known in the hockey world as Yuro, The Toronto born coach is regarded as one of the best development coaches in the game. Yuro has worked with some of the best players from around the world at all levels from the USHL, Major Junior, College to the NHL.

After playing juniors and college in both Canada and the US and pro hockey in Germany, Yuro ended his playing days in 2002 and took on the role as the director of hockey operations in Cedar Rapids, IA. During that tenure he helped bring a Varsity High-School program there and developed and coached a Midwestern AAA Spring and Summer AAA program.

Since 2006 Yuro has resided in the Twin Cities area, consulting for numerous hockey associations, high varsity school teams, while running camps, clinics and private lessons while co-founding the Reebok Nationals spring and summer AAA development program.

From 2009 to 2011, Yuro had the opportunity to work for the St. Louis Blues organization both in Peoria and in St. Louis serving as their Skills Development coach.

Yuro also served as the skills development coach from 2009-2012 for the USHL's Sioux City Musketeers. Yuro currently serves as the director of hockey operations for Northern Educate Hockey Academy.

2000 Coach -

2001 Coach -

2002 Coach -

2003 Coach - Billy Hengen

Hengen began his coaching career as an Assistant at the Academy of Holy Angels under Minnesota youth and high school coaching legend Greg Trebil. Trebil has been both a mentor and coach to Hengen for many years. Hengen assisted with the Academy of Holy Angels for five seasons (2006-2012). In 2008, Hengen also assisted the Blake Bantam B1 boy's hockey team, who won the State Championship in OT against the Wayzata Trojans. This past season (2012-2013), Coach Hengen was named Head Coach of the Holy Angels Boys Varsity hockey team. In his first season as head coach, the Stars led the Missota conference in scoring by a margin of 30 goals and finished as the 5th highest scoring team in AA hockey. Coach Hengen is currently the Head Coach of the 2003 Blades team, Lead Instructor of the Blades Jr. Mites winter development program, and Head Scout/Recruiter for Concordia College Men's Hockey.
As a player, he was a member of the first hockey team in Centennial Cougar hockey to qualify for a State Tournament in 1996. Hengen then played high school hockey for the Academy of Holy Angels from 1997-2000, earning the school's first hockey berth to the State Tournament in 1999 by defeating Bloomington Jefferson in the Section 2AA Championship game. Hengen currently sits as the all-time leading goal scorer of the Academy of Holy Angels boy's hockey program. From 2000-2002, in the USHL, he played an integral part of a Lincoln Stars team that tallied a total record of 86-22-9 over two seasons, won the Anderson Cup, and finished with the two highest scoring seasons in club history. At the Collegiate level, Hengen was a top three scorer and assist leader for the St. Cloud State Huskies from 2003-2006. He led the 2006 team in points per game and tied the school record for most points in a weekend series with 8 points vs. Yale/Princeton. Hengen twice earned WCHA Player of the Week honors and won WCHA All-Academic team honors in 2006. During Hengen's senior year at St. Cloud State, his team won 22 games and finished the season with an 8-7 OT vs. the Minnesota Gophers in the WCHA Final Five Tournament.
Coach Hengen's message to players is to, "Play hard, play smart and have fun!"

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 am

Looking good. No Woodcroft ???

imlisteningtothefnsong

Revolution Tier I AAA Hockey

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed May 08, 2013 9:59 am

I do not have a dog in this scrap, but I do think this is a unique option. As a dad of 4, I have as most of you have, spent countless hours watching the practices. As I watched the endless hours of Russian circles, I wondered how those damn Russians got so good, and my kids still suck. Then I thought, maybe they really don't do Russian circles in Russia. So I ventured out tried some AAA teams in town and decided to stick with Northern Edge. I have taken many ?'s on why we have stayed... Big fish, little pond...etc. Yes, it has been true some years our teams are not winning tourneys. The reality is I don't give a rip, each year my boys have improved in their skating, stick handling, and game sense. This has been true for all the players who have stuck around a few summers. Now if you take this same coaching staff and start with some advanced players, they will be a very competitive team. I hope with all the AAA teams out there that many will come out and give this a shot. The players that make this team will improve and go back to their summer programs and make them better. The ones that come out for a year, and go back to their associations, will hopefully contribute there as well. I have questions like many of you do as well. Tier I is popular all over the country, just not here. I fully understand the value of community based hockey. However for me, my community celebrated diversity so much that we ran out of hockey players. I was fortunate to have options for my boys. It was said earlier, 60 bucks is pretty cheap to have Jr come out and skate, while we ask our questions. After 9 years of NE I can promise no Russian circles. I hope to see some of you at the rink!

Blueliner16

Post by Blueliner16 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 am

I have no doubt Revolution will put together a top notch coaching staff. I have no doubt they will play top level competition. What I do have doubts about is it worth $10,000+ a year for my 11 year old to play hockey. Is it worth traveling on " off" weekends to practice? Those questions are what's holding me back

imlisteningtothefnsong

Revolution Tier I AAA Hockey

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 am

Agreed!! However the $$ that I have been hearing are over 1/2 that. I have not seen it in print, but I will ask at tryouts. My money tree seems to be empty, 10k is no different than 100k. I don't have either one!!

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed May 08, 2013 11:58 am

The cost to the Revolution won't be $10,000, probably more along the lines of $4000 to $4500 I'd guess, and that's based off what other Tier 1 programs charge. The part that breaks the bank is flying to Detroit, Dallas, Pittsburgh, etc and staying 3-4 nights in hotels to attend the Tier 1 tournaments. Gas money on off weekends to go to Des Moines for practice. That is where it starts to add up and hit that $10,000+ per year to play hockey.

The question I pose is why pay that much when there is great hockey and great competition in Minnesota? That's the question you have to answer for yourself. Is it worth it?

imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Have it and worth it are not mutually exclusive for me. Same answer. Now, if I had the $$ would it be worth it? For me, it would depend on how much my kid wanted that type of commitment. I have one kid who decided he wanted to be a hockey player at age 15. This would not have been for him. I got another who if you don't work the snot out of him you don't want to be around him. Other than the 5 hours of cheese burger farts in the car, this program would be perfect for him. Now, would I pony up that kind of $$$?? I am guessing I would. I already shop at Savers and drive a beater truck, why stop now...

Post by 2112 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 pm

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Have it and worth it are not mutually exclusive for me. Same answer. Now, if I had the $$ would it be worth it? For me, it would depend on how much my kid wanted that type of commitment. I have one kid who decided he wanted to be a hockey player at age 15. This would not have been for him. I got another who if you don't work the snot out of him you don't want to be around him. Other than the 5 hours of cheese burger farts in the car, this program would be perfect for him. Now, would I pony up that kind of $$$?? I am guessing I would. I already shop at Savers and drive a beater truck, why stop now...

It will absolutely add to your jersey collection which seems to be growing at quite the pace this summer.

imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Ah yes, 2112, I think I know who you are hiding behind that number. The price was just right for the five games this summer. Zero $$
The fact you don't like it...effin priceless!!

Post by 2112 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:43 pm

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Ah yes, 2112, I think I know who you are hiding behind that number. The price was just right for the five games this summer. Zero $$
The fact you don't like it...effin priceless!!

That`s what summer is all about, playing on different teams meeting new kids. Your son must be lighting up the spring tourneys since he is only playing in his age group, he got alot of points during the winter high school season and i would say the competition is much tougher than the spring tourneys. I can only imagine how many points he has already racked up this spring. hopefully i didn`t hit one of those big nerves.