Northern Educate/Breakaway & Waivers

Discussion of AAA Hockey

Moderator: Mitch Hawker

goaliedad31

Northern Educate/Breakaway & Waivers

Post by goaliedad31 »

Does anyone know if Eagan had to deal with any waiver requests from kids who attended NE and wanted to play association hockey in Eagan. If so, what was their policy. With all these new hockey schools popping up, it seems like it could throw a whole new wrinkle in association hockey.
If little Johnny thinks he is going to make a certain team and all of a sudden 6-7 kids waiver in as a result of one of these schools, it sure could change things. Everyone expects a couple of changes every year, but I for one would not want to live or play in one of these associations where the uncertainty of that many kids every year could waiver in. What do people think? Are there policies out there to prevent this?
Froggy Richards

Re: Northern Educate/Breakaway & Waivers

Post by Froggy Richards »

goaliedad31 wrote:Does anyone know if Eagan had to deal with any waiver requests from kids who attended NE and wanted to play association hockey in Eagan. If so, what was their policy. With all these new hockey schools popping up, it seems like it could throw a whole new wrinkle in association hockey.
If little Johnny thinks he is going to make a certain team and all of a sudden 6-7 kids waiver in as a result of one of these schools, it sure could change things. Everyone expects a couple of changes every year, but I for one would not want to live or play in one of these associations where the uncertainty of that many kids every year could waiver in. What do people think? Are there policies out there to prevent this?
If you attend school in an Association's boundaries, you can play for that Association. You still have to get a waiver, but it's just a formality.
Redarmy19

Post by Redarmy19 »

It's my understanding that most of the kids at NE play for the association in which they live, not for Eagan. I know three kids who attend, they all play for the association where they live. I don't believe they need to obtain waivers to do so.
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

Those players can either play for their "residence" association, or they can play for a school that falls in the boundary of NE. If they choose to play for a school that falls in the boundary of NE, they do need to get a waiver from their "residence" association, but it cannot be denied by the "residence" association.