we-need-to-do-better-mn-hockey-mom-disgusted-with-weekend-behavior/

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:48 pm

Plenty of my friends from high school and college have moved away from our hometown and established families across this great state. One friend, who has two kids who play hockey, recently posted on social media about what she witnessed this weekend at a hockey tournament for one of her kids, and she came away disgusted at how people were acting.
Ashley, a mom to two really great kids & lives in Central Minnesota, posted the following to her Facebook page after being at a weekend tournament:
00:05/03:all of Fame Honor:

Coaches, managers, parents, and friends, whoever - we need to do better. I watched a handful of hockey games this weekend and am ashamed of what I witnessed and heard from other teams. One players made a crying face to the crowd (of the opposing team) when he got a penalty and girls are flicking opposing team off and calling an opposing player “a fat ******* *****”. When has this become okay? Our kids are learning from us. This is absolutely ridiculous. Kids need to be taught respect again.

I'm kind of shocked that this type of behavior is seen as acceptable in a world where other coaches and players are being suspended or even fired for using foul or inappropriate language off whatever playing surface they coach or play on.

My friend Ashley seems to think that the kids are picking up this behavior from parents, and if that's true, it's really a shame.

In a age of specialized sports for kids, what happened to kids playing different sports throughout the year and taking summers off for vacation? It seems to be an all too common story with parents and players becoming aggressive and acting inappropriately.
How about we remember what is going on out on the ice, court, mat, etc...a game and treat it as such, chances are your kid is going to come away remembering some fun experience rather than fearing that they will disappoint you, or become the butt of a joke or even worse.

*steps off soapbox*

https://minnesotasnewcountry.com/we-nee ... -behavior/

elliott70

Re: we-need-to-do-better-mn-hockey-mom-disgusted-with-weekend-behavior/

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:23 am

Hmmm...
Interesting as this was a lengthy discussion today (Sunday 1-22-23) at the Minnesota Hockey state meeting.
Parents can and are suspended from attending their child's games.
Ideas are being tossed out about how to deal with parents acting inappropriately.

As far as on -ice if the refs hear it they will be punished - and if it continues suspend the player.

None of this is simple but as in a lot of today's would it starts at home.

On a positive note there are still a lot of good people out there.

greybeard58

Rowdy hockey parents delay Minnesota officer from responding to medical emergency

Post by greybeard58 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:08 pm

Rowdy hockey parents delay Minnesota officer from responding to medical emergency - The Rink Live | Comprehensive coverage of youth, junior, high school and college hockey

https://www.therinklive.com/youth/rowdy ... -emergency

elliott70

Re: Rowdy hockey parents delay Minnesota officer from responding to medical emergency

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:28 pm

greybeard58 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:08 pm
Rowdy hockey parents delay Minnesota officer from responding to medical emergency - The Rink Live | Comprehensive coverage of youth, junior, high school and college hockey

https://www.therinklive.com/youth/rowdy ... -emergency
We discussed it and some parents are being disciplined.

goldy313

Re: we-need-to-do-better-mn-hockey-mom-disgusted-with-weekend-behavior/

Post by goldy313 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:20 am

A nurse I work with just has his wife trespassed in Hiawatha Valley Conference games for abuse of C squad/9th grade officials.

Really you have to banned from watching your kids 9th grade games? What have we, as a society, become? She should be banned, but how she was tolerated for this long……