Select tournaments

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

waylon

Select tournaments

Post by waylon »

Is there any legitimate select tournament? what a joke we got people calling our association B coaches for players,for that st.Cloud tourney,We have A level players who have not been asked,I've been around this awhile it's who you know,lets put together a legit select tourney!!!!!!
________
Health Shop
Last edited by waylon on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
wingman

Post by wingman »

you got that right waylon--We have some very good kids these past few years in our association--but the WBL coaches are in charge of the select teams in our district and they make sure no one from our associuation is asked, and it is so political and incorrect-it is not a 'select' tourney it is a 'political correct' tourney. I guess the only thing you can count on is when it is a true tryout at the select 15s and higher--funny all those 'politically correct' selects just disappear and a major turnover occurs- year in and year out. 100% agree-change the name of the 'select' tourney until it is a true select!!!!!!!!!
waylon

Select tournaments

Post by waylon »

Wingman,don't hold your breath hoping that it will get better at select 15's I had one tryout acouple years ago from B'ville,and the guy picking the team was the EP head Bantam A coach,He picked a few of his own kids who I had never heard of,I believe my son got screwed that year,at 15's they should have a coach from another district pick a district 6 team and so on,It does get better at 16's and 17's my son did not make it those years and I don't believe he should have,at 15's yes he was better than kids who made it.But these youth select tourney's what a joke!!!I know for that select tourney in St. cloud the guy picking the team for the '97 level did not want certain Edina kid's,who are by far better than some that were asked,Keep your persnal issues out of it and pick the best team,I'd like to talk to the head guy of this tourney !!!!!!!!,and for those wandering I do not have a '97,for those reading this the same has went on at the '96 level,I'd like to put my own select tourney together,how bout real select tourney,the best of the best,no politics aloud,there I feel better now
________
Ford Ranger
Last edited by waylon on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sticks24

97 Selects

Post by Sticks24 »

Waylon,

Just to fill you in, the best kids in Edina were asked to play. It just happens that the best kids in Edina play with their squirt A coach in the Super Series the same weekend. Also, it happens that large group of kids will not be able to play this year due to the fact that some AAA coach scheduled a practice at the same time as the Souths first game and will not allow them to miss the practice. I think that the Selects coaches try to pick the best team possible, but it is very difficult when it is over Spring Break and the Super Series is the same weekend. And then you have some kids that have other conflicts.
roli

Post by roli »

You are also assuming that the best players were chosen to be on the 'a' teams. I hear stories from about every association that politics are involved in all of the tryouts. In our association, there are 2 players on the 'b' team that should be playing on the 'a' team. So it must be who you know to make the select 'a' team.
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

These select tournaments, super series etc etc sound to me like they are a way for a few individuals to host a tournament and make some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ off of parents that think their kids are going to the NHL. :lol:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Here's what I don't understand; it's supposedly called AAA hockey, which I am assuming is better than 'A' hockey. So shouldn't a AAA squad be composed of high end 'A' players? If your not good enough or even a borderline 'A' player, then why do you think you should be playing AAA?
HockeyRocks1

Post by HockeyRocks1 »

Gents relax, The Selects, Super Series & Elite Classic are nothing more then money makers for the AAA organizations that put them on. At $195 for 2 practices, 4 games and a jersey they must clear $50,000 at the end of 4 days.

It is not about who is the best player. It's about money and whom you know.
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

HockeyRocks1 wrote:Gents relax, The Selects, Super Series & Elite Classic are nothing more then money makers for the AAA organizations that put them on. At $195 for 2 practices, 4 games and a jersey they must clear $50,000 at the end of 4 days.

It is not about who is the best player. It's about money and whom you know.

This is obviously your opinion and you sound a little bitter.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Do the math, the main interest is the bottom line.
HockeyRocks1

Post by HockeyRocks1 »

I am not bitter and I'm not bragging. My son has played the Super Series and I've turned down the Selects and Elite Classic. My point was, don't get all wound up until you really know what your talking about.

These tourneys are to make money first and show case talent second. I have no problem with that. My kid has had a blast playing in the Super Series and the coaching has been awesome.
waylon

selects

Post by waylon »

I hear the St.Cloud Tourney Directors,have said they don't want any Machine,Deuce or fire kids in there tourney,I wander what thats all about?
I know a boy who was on one of the rosters,and got at a call,and was told he would not be allowed in,wassupppp w/that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :o
________
How To Roll A Blunt
Last edited by waylon on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cross_Bar_In

Post by Cross_Bar_In »

Roli, what association are you in? I know of a few players at both the Pee Wee level and Bantam level that should have been on "A" in my association.
badgerdad

MN Selects Not a true select tourney!

Post by badgerdad »

The MN Selects is very political. My son was asked last year, but was later told he wasn't allowed to play in the tournament because he plays for the Fire winter program. We played Super Series. I was also told that this is true again this year from a coach that gave the Selects coach my sons and other Fire kids name to play. SELECTS, ya right. These are 10-15 old kids, why "punish" them or use them to make a statement? Maybe we shouldn't with the Fire in the winter so my kid can play in the Selects.
(sarcasm) The Super Series doesn't have a hang up if the kid plays were it my be politically incorrect. These are fun weekends, nothing more. I do understand that the money from the Super Series goes to the Blades, more power to them!!!!!!
If you really want a SELECT tourney, have a group of players (30-45)invited to a tryout from a region and have outside coaches SELECT a team to represent their region.
Slapshot*67

Tourneys

Post by Slapshot*67 »

Been there done that . My son has done em all. Confirming comments from earlier posts just have fun and play. As far as all the political crap. Whenever there are people and money involved there will be politics. The Fire and other orginizations do get shafted. But eventually those kids and thier skills will rise to the top. Hang in there.
watchdog

selects

Post by watchdog »

you guys are talking about the select tourney in blaine i can tell you this. that tourney generates very few of the top players. the selects in st.cloud is where you get alot of good players and than you have super series the same weekend which draws alot of the best players also. i know that blaine tourney had kids from roseau on it that were 5,6,7, or more on the team depth chart. not because of politics but because the better players were going to other tourneys and most parents are only willing to do so much. i let my kids go as a treat for the hard work they put in all year. they have freinds they meet from other towns and they love getting them jerseys! all my kids know and understand that because they get to go doesnt mean their all that and a bag of chips because i tell them and they see it. its all about the fun if your not in it for that save your money!
lowhockey

Post by lowhockey »

I have gone to Selects for the last 2 years and agree, it is very political.....Although i have always gone to Elite Classic and it is not as bad, there is not as high caliber players though because it is not age level, but hockey level
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

I know kids that have done all 3 (Elite, Super Series, and Selects)
They went, played hard, had fun, made new friends - what else matters at this point?

The good players will rise to the top when it counts.

Just have fun and play as long as you can and often as you can - as long as you're still having fun doing it.
waylon

selects

Post by waylon »

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
________
X5 m