Top associations

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gtimehocey

Top associations

Post by gtimehocey »

Year after year what associtations produces the best teams at all levels
WASABEMIDJIFAN

Post by WASABEMIDJIFAN »

No question its Roseau. You cant even argue this one.
rbkhockeyman2070

Post by rbkhockeyman2070 »

Edina not even close then Roseau
carpenterguy

Post by carpenterguy »

Centennial:

Three straight years the Bantam A team has been in the title game. They have been in that game 5 times since 2001.

The Pee Wee A group has been in the State Tourney 7 of the past 9 years.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

carpenterguy wrote:Centennial:

Three straight years the Bantam A team has been in the title game. They have been in that game 5 times since 2001.

The Pee Wee A group has been in the State Tourney 7 of the past 9 years.
This is a tough question because on what basis other than successful teams can this be quantified. Jefferson used to be the best association, in my opinion because of their coaches and players but as their numbers have gone down they have not been as successful in either retaining kids or some of the top coaches they had in the 90's. I have to agree with the poster that said Centennial's association is impressive. The HS coach is very involved and they have some of the most disciplined teams I've seen as well a number of great coaches who stay at the same level each year. Rosseau and Moorhead are also impressive to me as is Lakeville--watch this program in the next couple of years.
lxhockey

Post by lxhockey »

Wayzata, WBL and Eden Praire are right up there as well. Their evidence
is not only in the youth and HS teams but also look at the number of and quality of their Junior Gold teams. Keep those kids playing!!!
boblee

post 7560

Post by boblee »

WASABEMIDJIFAN wrote:No question its Roseau. You cant even argue this one.
Uh, yes you can.
UWhockey88

Post by UWhockey88 »

Centennial's Association has to be one of the best in the State. Both the Girls and Boys programs have had many state tournament participants (both A and B level) and both of those programs High School Coaches are involved in the Association and development of their young players. Three players who played for CYHA are playing on the Mn Gophers Mens Hockey Team this year and another plays for the Air Force.
WayzataBallas

wayzata

Post by WayzataBallas »

Wayzata is the best association. We had 7 teams go to state tournys. 3 of them took 1. I dont think that any other association can match that dominance at every level. We had at least one team go to state at every level, that their is a state tourny for. At Peewee's we took 1 & 2 i doubt that has happened many other times.
Silent But Deadly

Re: wayzata

Post by Silent But Deadly »

WayzataBallas wrote:Wayzata is the best association. We had 7 teams go to state tournys. 3 of them took 1. I dont think that any other association can match that dominance at every level. We had at least one team go to state at every level, that their is a state tourny for. At Peewee's we took 1 & 2 i doubt that has happened many other times.
If you're measuring overall results it's tough to argue with Centennial and Wayzata...but considering the overall numbers that play in their youth program as well as the size of the youth draw area....I don't think the answer is so clear unless you first define what constitutes a "Top Association".
selloutcrowd99

Re: wayzata

Post by selloutcrowd99 »

WayzataBallas wrote:Wayzata is the best association. We had 7 teams go to state tournys. 3 of them took 1. I dont think that any other association can match that dominance at every level. We had at least one team go to state at every level, that their is a state tourny for. At Peewee's we took 1 & 2 i doubt that has happened many other times.
Edina had 8 teams to state 2 years ago
The truth hurts
gtimehocey

Post by gtimehocey »

[quote="carpenterguy"]Centennial:

Three players on the Mens gopher hockey team played on the same Centennial A Bantam team
woody22

Post by woody22 »

Edina's Bantam A and PeeWee both have the most state championships won.

Edina Bantam A with:7
Edina PeeWee A with:6

Duluth has also had a top program over the years along with Roseau and both Bloomington teams.

The newer emerging teams are Eden Prairie, Centennial, and Wayzata.

Actually I should not say "emerging" because they are the teams that have become power houses.
Last edited by woody22 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slapper5

Post by slapper5 »

Lakeville basically has two a teams because if you look at it they spilt north and south and when they were still together they still didn't have as many kids. So lakeville is good for what they have.
UWhockey88

Post by UWhockey88 »

The question was, "year after year what associations produces the best teams at all levels."
Ya, so clearly there is not just one association that produces the best teams at all levels. If you take a look at Wayzata, Edina, EP, WB, Centennial just to name a few-you will see in the Let's Play Hockey rankings that they all have (usually) a team at each level rated in the top 5.
gtimehocey

Post by gtimehocey »

1. Wayzata
2. Centennial
3. Edina
4. EP
5. WB

Top three really close
egf hockey1

Post by egf hockey1 »

All the cities communitees have great programs, they win and are near the top of the state standings every year. You liv in communitees of 500,000 people, it shouldn't be that hard to find 15 good players at each age group. My vote goes to Roseau. They have every bit as good of team year in and year out as the cities teams. They do this with a town popuation of 1500. Coaches and tradition build programs, and they are as good as any program I know.
UWhockey88

Post by UWhockey88 »

Roseau and some of the smaller northern associations do indeed have good programs however the question was,"year after year what associations produces the best teams at all levels."

Yes, it is hard to argue that some of the bigger city associations can and do produce quality teams but the question did not have anything to do with community size. Roseau not doubt has a stong hockey tradition. But that was not the question. The author of this thread created it to compare which associations produce-at every level-the best teams. And I think the key words here are, "year after year/at every level". Maybe you are confusing Roseau's HS Boys programs with the youth program?
WASABEMIDJIFAN

Post by WASABEMIDJIFAN »

UWhockey88 wrote:Roseau and some of the smaller northern associations do indeed have good programs however the question was,"year after year what associations produces the best teams at all levels."

Yes, it is hard to argue that some of the bigger city associations can and do produce quality teams but the question did not have anything to do with community size. Roseau not doubt has a stong hockey tradition. But that was not the question. The author of this thread created it to compare which associations produce-at every level-the best teams. And I think the key words here are, "year after year/at every level". Maybe you are confusing Roseau's HS Boys programs with the youth program?

Roseau does produce good teams at all levels year after year. And the fact that they do this with approximately 30 kids per level makes it amazing to me.

I dont know exactly how they do it but they get my vote for best association in the state.

I wish Bemidji would find out what it is they do and duplicate some of it.
egf hockey1

Post by egf hockey1 »

Roseau qualified for state at all levels boys and girls, A & B. Also has a squirt team that was 2nd in the Fargo Squirt International.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Im pretty sure Roseau did not have a team in the Bantam B state tournament
woody22

Post by woody22 »

The kids in Roseau are born with skates on their feet, that is how they do it.
#1hockey121

Post by #1hockey121 »

WASABEMIDJIFAN wrote:
UWhockey88 wrote:Roseau does produce good teams at all levels year after year. And the fact that they do this with approximately 30 kids per level makes it amazing to me.

I dont know exactly how they do it but they get my vote for best association in the state.

I wish Bemidji would find out what it is they do and duplicate some of it.
the reason roseau is so good with very few kids is that they learn to skate by figure skating at a very young level. the are extremely good skaters even in mites. they learn to skate before they learn other hockey skills
selloutcrowd99

Post by selloutcrowd99 »

the reason roseau is so good with very few kids is that they learn to skate by figure skating at a very young level. the are extremely good skaters even in mites. they learn to skate before they learn other hockey skills
Are you serious?
The truth hurts
UWhockey88

Post by UWhockey88 »

Again, Roseau has a great hockey tradition however they did not have a team at every level-boys and girls-qualify for state this year. I agree-for a smaller association-they are a power house of the north. I do have to comment on the "30 kids per level". It really is not that amazing. When you have the same kids on the same teams every year-they tend to know each other pretty well. (on and off the ice) And then mix in the fact that hockey is such a great tradition-bam!

My opinion regardless of who figure skates is: Wayzata, Centennial, Edina, Eden Prairie, White Bear...