New in-house mite program

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hobey Faker

Post by Hobey Faker »

I don't have any kids this age; but if I did I would not hesitate to sign him or her up for this program. from what I have seen in the past 15 years
of association hockey, nothing comes close to Bernies style of training young players.
some positives with this:
they are actually garenteed ice time at the mite level, they can still play with there friends and make many more along the way.
many of the dads will learn a great deal on how to teach skills to young players and this is good for everyone.
these kids will have an opportunity to work at a pace that challenges them.
they will learn disipline and work ethic in which should carry over into other aspects of there lives.
the fact of the matter is; Bernies style of training works and if he can make some money doing what he does more power to him; he offers a great product that you don't have to buy if you don't want to.
I know alot of people with kids in his programs from the Machine teams
and his clinics; they all seem very satisfied with the results.
I personaly would rather spend a few more dollars and get results than skimp and get somtimes nothing or much less.
I would asume most would agree about his effectiveness because nobody is disputing that.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Hobey Faker wrote:I don't have any kids this age; but if I did I would not hesitate to sign him or her up for this program. from what I have seen in the past 15 years
of association hockey, nothing comes close to Bernies style of training young players.
some positives with this:
they are actually garenteed ice time at the mite level, they can still play with there friends and make many more along the way.
many of the dads will learn a great deal on how to teach skills to young players and this is good for everyone.
these kids will have an opportunity to work at a pace that challenges them.
they will learn disipline and work ethic in which should carry over into other aspects of there lives.
the fact of the matter is; Bernies style of training works and if he can make some money doing what he does more power to him; he offers a great product that you don't have to buy if you don't want to.
I know alot of people with kids in his programs from the Machine teams
and his clinics; they all seem very satisfied with the results.
I personaly would rather spend a few more dollars and get results than skimp and get somtimes nothing or much less.
I would asume most would agree about his effectiveness because nobody is disputing that.
I have a mite skating at MM on Saturdays and I am extremely impressed with MM, Bernie and his coaching staff. They have a no-nonsense approach to the drills, it is up tempo, but the kids are having fun as well.
Around the boards

Post by Around the boards »

Let's keep in mind once again, these are mite age kids..who are being told by the coaches there that someone in that group will someday play in the NHL..and who is it going to be.??...get serious

Parents, more so than the kids, are all excited about that idea and buy into tolerating the tactics used at MM because they think their kid will eventually be the one who ends with the D-1 scholarship and play in the NHL.

Enjoy the thrill while it lasts, you may be a basketball or snowboard parent sooner than you think.....
jancze5

MMA

Post by jancze5 »

LOL...that was a good one....nice touch with the snowboarder parent...
So true..so true!!

My son wants to wrestle so he can be an MMA fighter..I was like..DUDE, you don't want ears that look like that...stick to hockey and keep on your cage until you pay your own dental bills!!
Hobey Faker

Post by Hobey Faker »

Around the boards wrote:Let's keep in mind once again, these are mite age kids..who are being told by the coaches there that someone in that group will someday play in the NHL..and who is it going to be.??...get serious

Parents, more so than the kids, are all excited about that idea and buy into tolerating the tactics used at MM because they think their kid will eventually be the one who ends with the D-1 scholarship and play in the NHL.

Enjoy the thrill while it lasts, you may be a basketball or snowboard parent sooner than you think.....
Better than telling them they have no chance. whats wrong with inspiring these kids? again the negatives are not about the effectiveness but rather
a stab at brernie or the parents who put there kids in the best training program.
So what if the kids decide that hockey is not for them; at least they had support from there parents and that will probably carry over to Basketball or snowboarding.
keep telling your kids they can't and see how much success they have in life.
Hobey Faker

Re: MMA

Post by Hobey Faker »

jancze5 wrote:LOL...that was a good one....nice touch with the snowboarder parent...
So true..so true!!

My son wants to wrestle so he can be an MMA fighter..I was like..DUDE, you don't want ears that look like that...stick to hockey and keep on your cage until you pay your own dental bills!!
look who's talking? you are pushing your kid in somthing he doesnt want and yet bash parents who support what there kids do want.
there's an ingredient for success!
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Around the boards,

I don't think MM is putting a guarantee of making the NHL or Getting a D1 ride. MM is putting together a very organized and structured mite program at a very reasonable price ($9.00/hr). There have been a total of 12 mites from our organization tryout for one of the six teams. As of now, I know 3 have made it. After talking to the dads and the 3 kids that made it, the kids are more thrilled about playing in the league than than the dads. The dads I have spoke to are more concerned about the commitment to get them to the MM rinks than a D1 contaract that you are referring too.
jancze5

Post by jancze5 »

[look who's talking? you are pushing your kid in somthing he doesnt want and yet bash parents who support what there kids do want.
there's an ingredient for success![/quote]

What are you talking about??? You're confused with my statement...or misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not bashing anyone...I'm laughing at the comment made about being a snowboarder parent...I haven't ever stopped any of my kids from playing anything they want..and won't...as any parent shouldn't stop their child from doing something constructive that they WANT and would like to do.
Hobey Faker

Post by Hobey Faker »

jancze5 wrote:[look who's talking? you are pushing your kid in somthing he doesnt want and yet bash parents who support what there kids do want.
there's an ingredient for success!
What are you talking about??? You're confused with my statement...or misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not bashing anyone...I'm laughing at the comment made about being a snowboarder parent...I haven't ever stopped any of my kids from playing anything they want..and won't...as any parent shouldn't stop their child from doing something constructive that they WANT and would like to do.[/quote]

sorry for the misunderstanding; that is my point with MM mite thing. as long as this is what the kid wants and you can afford it why not do it.
this is a decission for the family and nobody elses business.
BoogeyMan

Let it be............

Post by BoogeyMan »

This is interesting! I signed my son up to try out on Sunday at Minnesota Made. I don't see why so many people are opposed to this league? As parents we all should know what's best four our kids. I personally don't get into other peoples business and worry about where other kids are skating.
I for one know that this is a no brainer. Hockey is all about Fun and development. I have two choices. I can sign my son up to play for an over priced in house league with no traveling teams or upper Mites. Or pay an extra $200.00 for twice as many ice times, more development and better talent. As parents we should want our kids to develop and learn. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I know, I know you're going to ask. What about having fun and playing with his buddies.
There are already 5-6 kids that have made teams from his association. If my son made one of the six teams there is no doubt that he'll know someone skating on the team. I also took into consideration of what type of personality does my son have. He loves to meet new kids.

For $200 more dollars, twice as many ice times and better instruction. It's a no brainer.

I like one of the quote's on this board. Youth hockey is a marathon not a sprint. I also agree there are some parents that think their kids are going all the way at age 7 or 8. The Dad's who have older son's have been through this before. Please chime in.

I don't know why some people are against MM. I'm curious were people against Showcase or AAA when it came out too? It's called progression.

My son is seven. He's skated in about 6 clinics over the past 3 years.
There is no doubt that he learned more from MM than any other clinic. The best part of the clinic? The instructors made the boys listen. In return this saved so much time to concentrate on drills. The instructors weren't busy looking for kids screwing around. Not to mention that MM instructors gave each skater personal instruction. After the last practice my son told me he was glad he attended the MM clinic. That's all I needed to hear.

All the other clinics there were no personal instruction. They just collect the money and run the kids through drills.

I have nothing but nice things to say about MM.
murraychadwick

Re: Let it be............

Post by murraychadwick »

ChanMan wrote:This is interesting! I signed my son up to try out on Sunday at Minnesota Made. I don't see why so many people are opposed to this league? As parents we all should know what's best four our kids. I personally don't get into other peoples business and worry about where other kids are skating.
I for one know that this is a no brainer. Hockey is all about Fun and development. I have two choices. I can sign my son up to play for an over priced in house league with no traveling teams or upper Mites. Or pay an extra $200.00 for twice as many ice times, more development and better talent. As parents we should want our kids to develop and learn. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I know, I know you're going to ask. What about having fun and playing with his buddies.
There are already 5-6 kids that have made teams from his association. If my son made one of the six teams there is no doubt that he'll know someone skating on the team. I also took into consideration of what type of personality does my son have. He loves to meet new kids.

For $200 more dollars, twice as many ice times and better instruction. It's a no brainer.

I like one of the quote's on this board. Youth hockey is a marathon not a sprint. I also agree there are some parents that think their kids are going all the way at age 7 or 8. The Dad's who have older son's have been through this before. Please chime in.

I don't know why some people are against MM. I'm curious were people against Showcase or AAA when it came out too? It's called progression.

My son is seven. He's skated in about 6 clinics over the past 3 years.
There is no doubt that he learned more from MM than any other clinic. The best part of the clinic? The instructors made the boys listen. In return this saved so much time to concentrate on drills. The instructors weren't busy looking for kids screwing around. Not to mention that MM instructors gave each skater personal instruction. After the last practice my son told me he was glad he attended the MM clinic. That's all I needed to hear.

All the other clinics there were no personal instruction. They just collect the money and run the kids through drills.

I have nothing but nice things to say about MM.

Bingo!
theref

Post by theref »

Sorry, I skipped over the majority of this post because it's pointless. I offer you the poor man's solution. Take your kids to the outdoor rinks and let them play with the bigger, faster, and smarter kids. You pick up a lot more from playing with people with more experience and you learn to work harder and be smarter about what you do on the ice. Besides, the main goal about the outdoor rink is .............FUN. Which is why we all play the game in the first place, right?
waylon

MM

Post by waylon »

I have been around youth hockey for quite awhile now,and have waisted many $ on camps,clinics,etc.I have a son at the Varsity level,and a squirt,my youngest played for the machine and was cut,because he will more than likely not be big enough to play at the NHL level.And I agree he will be lucky to be 5'10".Bernie is running a business,And if I were him I would do the same.The training my son recieved for 1 summer was the best I've ever seen,any kid who can stick it out will make it to a very high level NHL,D1,write there names down,Kids from our state make it every year why not my kid,my oldest played AAA at the '90 level and many kids that he played with will be D1,him and I talked D1 all the time,he was very close,but it's not over yet.And my youngest will cotinue to shoot for the moon,and not settle for being average,I am not average at my job,nor would I accept my boy's settling for average,one more thing,the Machine has since asked my son back,because he took the cut the right way and cotinued to work at his game,and maybe a small kid with alot of heart,and character can make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hobey Faker

Re: MM

Post by Hobey Faker »

waylon wrote:I have been around youth hockey for quite awhile now,and have waisted many $ on camps,clinics,etc.I have a son at the Varsity level,and a squirt,my youngest played for the machine and was cut,because he will more than likely not be big enough to play at the NHL level.And I agree he will be lucky to be 5'10".Bernie is running a business,And if I were him I would do the same.The training my son recieved for 1 summer was the best I've ever seen,any kid who can stick it out will make it to a very high level NHL,D1,write there names down,Kids from our state make it every year why not my kid,my oldest played AAA at the '90 level and many kids that he played with will be D1,him and I talked D1 all the time,he was very close,but it's not over yet.And my youngest will cotinue to shoot for the moon,and not settle for being average,I am not average at my job,nor would I accept my boy's settling for average,one more thing,the Machine has since asked my son back,because he took the cut the right way and cotinued to work at his game,and maybe a small kid with alot of heart,and character can make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Waylon,
congrats to your son and to you! I like to here parents supporting there kids dreams wheather or not they are viable.
as they get older and see how there abilities stack up with there peers they will know or learn the reality for better or worse.
to tell your kids it is impossible to reach your goals or dreams at an early age to protect them from a possible let down is worse in my eyes than letting them try and fail.
the folks that have nothing but smart ass remarks about young achievers
with D-1 or NHL goals are fallowers of the masses and hate to see others succeed.
waylon

MM

Post by waylon »

Hobey,Thank you!I get tired of these folks who come on here and knock thhose for talking D1 or NHL,I believe anyone who has found this forum is passionate about hockey,the only people I know who bash these goals of D1 in my assoc. are your C level parents,.Maybe I'm crazy but whatever it is my kids are doing school,music dance I will afford them every oppurtunity to be the best!I have never done anything half way,that I was passionate about,share your kids passion and it will go along ways,some of you may learn a thing or 2.My highschooler was very close,and my youngster is on his way.One of the 1st things Bernie told our team is you can't look at it like there only 9,there allready 9 time to get to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hobey Faker

Post by Hobey Faker »

theref wrote:Sorry, I skipped over the majority of this post because it's pointless. I offer you the poor man's solution. Take your kids to the outdoor rinks and let them play with the bigger, faster, and smarter kids. You pick up a lot more from playing with people with more experience and you learn to work harder and be smarter about what you do on the ice. Besides, the main goal about the outdoor rink is .............FUN. Which is why we all play the game in the first place, right?
How about have fun learning the skills properly and still go to the outside rink so they can school the bigger and older kids!
these responces sound like the kids only skate at mm; I garentee they are at the outdoor rinks more than most, these are kids with a passion
for hockey and are above most kids there age as far as skill level.
BoogeyMan

Curious

Post by BoogeyMan »

Why do some people worry about other people's kids? Who cares if little Johnny or Little Billy skate with select teams, on outdoor ice, or in their own association? Fact is, parents should know what's best for their own kids.

Not any one association is perfect. There are pro's and con's to every association. There is no way to keep everyone happy. As long as the kids are having fun and developing in a safe and fun manner that's what counts.
If I can get my son to play with buddies at MM paying $200 dollars more for twice the ice time, better instructors and better players. Why not? He's still having fun. He learning at a higher level. As long as he's having fun. I'm having fun. No brainer!

Please don't worry about someone else's kid if it doesn't directly effect you. Let your son play on outdoor rinks. I wish him luck and hope he makes the NHL and Olympic team someday.

PEACE!
waylon

MM

Post by waylon »

Amen,Do whats best for you and your situation,and let others do the same
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

theref wrote:Sorry, I skipped over the majority of this post because it's pointless. I offer you the poor man's solution. Take your kids to the outdoor rinks and let them play with the bigger, faster, and smarter kids. You pick up a lot more from playing with people with more experience and you learn to work harder and be smarter about what you do on the ice. Besides, the main goal about the outdoor rink is .............FUN. Which is why we all play the game in the first place, right?
Problem is when I have took my mite to play with the bigger smarter faster kids, is they never see the puck.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

After asking your kid what he wants to do, I guess you have a couple of choices. Don't let him skate with the bigger, faster, kids and put him with other kids with the same skills, or let him play with these kids. Remember, the MM program is for upper mites and not all kids are upper mites. The best thing for any mite is to skate with players at his or her own level.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

SEC Scotty wrote:
Problem is when I have took my mite to play with the bigger smarter faster kids, is they never see the puck.
Scotty, you should know by now that reality has no place in this thread!
MN Moose

Post by MN Moose »

Here's my take on this. And yes, each parent should do what's best for their kid but that doesn't mean this board can't be used for some advice/feedback from those who have been around a while.

With a son just graduating, a HS playing son, and another in bantams I can say looking back that there is very little I could have done when they were mites in the form of development to affect their ultimate level of play. Some people are born with talent and some are not. The most development usually occurs when the kids hit puberty. I can definitely say that over half of the kids that were Squirt A players - and skating circles around their peers - did not even make the HS varsity team. Everything changes when the get older and not just physically. Some get other interests, some get burned out, some don't like the coach. The best thing - in my opinion - you can do with a mite age kid is make sure they LOVE to play the game. If you build that in them, then their natural talent will come out whether or not they're in camps, clinics, elite leagues etc. I know it was a different era but I'm told that Phil Housley never was selected for an elite team or was in youth camps. And he turned out alright.

So bottom line I would say my advice is let the kids naturally enjoy playing which usually means letting them play with their buddies in the association. The only thing you could do at age 7-8 is hurt their development by burning them out - it's almost impossible to truly "develop' a mite level kid.
skillbuilder

In House mites

Post by skillbuilder »

Much of what Moose says is true regarding what puberty will do to parents best laid plans. My take on it is that a foundation of proper skill sets needs to be laid so when a child reaches puberty he is fully prepared to take them and run "if" he wants it bad enough, and is physically equipt to persue it. At some point it comes down to a combination of genetics, and work ethic, neither of which parents control. Those two things are not enough however, if the player has inferior skills, acumen for the game, and bad technique. I never want to say I didn't prepare my skater for success if someday he gets big, strong and driven. If the later does not occur he will realize he was provided the tools and allways remember my commitment and the time we had together coach and son. No regrets...
jancze5

skillbuilder

Post by jancze5 »

hey skillbuilder..are you having an August league this year? I'm looking to get my youngest son some time in net leading up to the season...

The latter part of this thread is right on, one of my Bantams best friends scored 110 points in his first Pee Wee year and just didn't grow and became an inferior player is second pee wee year and I believe he tallied 3 goals and at most 10 assists the second year...needless to say his parents fell off the planet and didn't get it...His dad is 5'5 and mom is 5'1..genetically he just didn't grow at 12 when some other kids came back 4-6" taller and 20 lbs heavier...

Hopefully the kid doesn't lose his will, he was a very talented, skilled player who hopefully will catch back up in high school..when it counts.
skateguymn

Post by skateguymn »

I have never posted here but I have been following this topic closely because I have kids this age and know some that are playing in the league. Has anyone heard about possible changes with regard to the ability of the players of this league? A couple parents of kids I know thought their kid would not make it but signed their kid up for tryouts to see where they stacked up. Low and behold their kids were sent an acceptance letter. The family was shocked because they thought there would be no way their kid would make it. Now they are out $400 no matter if they play or not.
He even said his kid was one of the worst out of 30 kids on the ice. He was prepared to use thlet down of being cut as a chance to teach his kid about working harder and getting better, maybe next year speach.
Maybe it is all about the money as some of you have said. Once you sign up and pay $400 they have your money. Why not take the cash and place as many kids as you can on a team anyway. 3 tryout nights, 2 sessions per night, 30 kids per tryout is what I heard. 180 kids total. Obviously not hurting for players.
From what I read this league was for upper end mites and potential elite players........Nothing elite or upper about the kid I am refering to.