Edina Squirt A team, Who developed the players?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Edina Squirt A team, Who developed the players?

Post by 0904 »

Here is the AAA team each player plays on

Jack Walker = 96 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Chase Jungels = 97 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Mark Kaske = 97 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Henery Bowlby = 97 machine {Minnesota Made}
Ryan Zuhldorf = 97 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Luke Peronnovich = 97 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Jack Lawton = 96 Machine Pracrice Player {Minnesota Made}
Chris Bloom = 97 Machine Pracrice Player {Minnesota Made}
Taylor Williamson = 97 Machine Pracrice Player {Minnesota Made}
Paul Meyer = 96 Deuce {Minnesota Made}
Dylan Malmquist = 96 Deuce {Minnesota Made}
Joe Fewer = 97 Deuce {Minnesota Made}

Casey Dornbach = 97 Blades {His Dad is a Blades coach}
Ben Foley =?

Thats 14 of the 15 skaters, I do not know who the last skater is/or what if any AAA team they are on.

Two things: They all skate alot on AAA teams and most all of them for the Machine or Deuce.

Is it any wonder that people want to do MMs Choice league?
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

What is the point of this post? And what is a "Pracrice Player"?
O-townClown

Thanks for sharing the roster

Post by O-townClown »

I will tell you right now what will happen. You don't have to believe me, but if you look back I'll be right.

These kids will be very good. They are strong players to begin with and they will have plenty of repetition. BUT... they're only Squirts. Pre-puberty.

As these kids age, some will grow. Some won't grow enough or they'll grow too late. Some kids not on the list will keep doing what they're doing, they'll work hard and improve.

There will be some different kids on the list when they are 10th graders. Minnesota Made may be a wonderful program, but they can't stop that.

I haven't lived in Minnesota for over a decade, but I know the parents of at least six of the kids you listed. Using our age group as a precedent, yes, several of the top players in Squirts were the best players in HS. That said, I can name kids billed as stars in Pee Wees or even Bantams that plateaued for one reason or another.

If I lived in the area my son would be bugging me to play more hockey and I'd probably let him. There's nothing inherently wrong with Minnesota Made, but if you look at most of the complaints they can be summed up in these categories:

* BURNOUT - there is a much greater risk of losing interest in such a structured, pressure-filled environment
* LIMITATIONS - Edina's HS team will have 20 kids in 8 years and they have ten times that in the Squirt program. Most kids won't have hockey careers past youth with or without MM
* PURPOSE - sure the kids are developing into better hockey players, but are they getting a chance to be kids?

I'll always remember a story a friend told me about why he hated his own father. He'd been groomed for baseball success all his life. As a HS senior he was playing very well and in the mix for a scholarship. He separated his shoulder (I can't recall how... this was BASEBALL after all) and his dad ran onto the field, looked down at him, and said, "there goes Virginia!" before walking away in disgust.

There are things more important that athletics. At least to some people.
Hockeyguy_27

Re: Edina Squirt A team, Who developed the players?

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

This is so true! Bernie has forgotten more about hockey than anyone in the world has ever known. If it wasn't for Bernie, instead of being the first overall draft choice in the NHL draft, Eric Johsnon would most likely be flipping burgers at McDonalds

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist!
waylon

MM

Post by waylon »

Here we go! Breakout it's your turn :wink:
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
Last edited by waylon on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorno82

Post by sorno82 »

Did MM actually develop those players from scratch, or did they recruit Mites that showed a lot of promise, hold tryouts, and picked the cream of of the crop in terms of athletic ability and hockey skills? I would venture to guess that if MM did not exist, that team would look very similar. Again, MM does a great job in developing hockey players, but he does not take kids with no ability and makes them great at an early age. For his Machine and Deuce teams, he picks from the best (at that time), and develops them.

Bernie is no Gordon Bombay :D

I would like them to grab C and lower B squirt players and make them Peewee A players. Or maybe those kids have balance in their life and would not buy into the program. When his program matures, there may be some of those kids that go from C to A. That will sell the concept better than anything else.
gerryodrowski

who "developed" these players?!

Post by gerryodrowski »

Honest to God people, have you no idea how absurd this thread is?!
jancze5

Edina

Post by jancze5 »

So, is this post basically saying that MM Machine/Deuce is basically
Summer AAA for Edina? :?:
Can't Never Tried

Re: who "developed" these players?!

Post by Can't Never Tried »

gerryodrowski wrote:Honest to God people, have you no idea how absurd this thread is?!
This was the best contribution so far :D
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thanks for sharing the roster

Post by Silent But Deadly »

O-townClown wrote:I will tell you right now what will happen. You don't have to believe me, but if you look back I'll be right.

These kids will be very good. They are strong players to begin with and they will have plenty of repetition. BUT... they're only Squirts. Pre-puberty.

As these kids age, some will grow. Some won't grow enough or they'll grow too late. Some kids not on the list will keep doing what they're doing, they'll work hard and improve.

There will be some different kids on the list when they are 10th graders. Minnesota Made may be a wonderful program, but they can't stop that.

I haven't lived in Minnesota for over a decade, but I know the parents of at least six of the kids you listed. Using our age group as a precedent, yes, several of the top players in Squirts were the best players in HS. That said, I can name kids billed as stars in Pee Wees or even Bantams that plateaued for one reason or another.

If I lived in the area my son would be bugging me to play more hockey and I'd probably let him. There's nothing inherently wrong with Minnesota Made, but if you look at most of the complaints they can be summed up in these categories:

* BURNOUT - there is a much greater risk of losing interest in such a structured, pressure-filled environment
* LIMITATIONS - Edina's HS team will have 20 kids in 8 years and they have ten times that in the Squirt program. Most kids won't have hockey careers past youth with or without MM
* PURPOSE - sure the kids are developing into better hockey players, but are they getting a chance to be kids?

I'll always remember a story a friend told me about why he hated his own father. He'd been groomed for baseball success all his life. As a HS senior he was playing very well and in the mix for a scholarship. He separated his shoulder (I can't recall how... this was BASEBALL after all) and his dad ran onto the field, looked down at him, and said, "there goes Virginia!" before walking away in disgust.

There are things more important that athletics. At least to some people.
The thread topic might not be the best but the "Clowns" opinion is right on!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

gerryodrowski wrote:Honest to God people, have you no idea how absurd this thread is?!
Gerry, I'm not sure I understand how you feel. Discussing the merits of the burgeoning Minnesota Made program sure seems relevant on a message board for Minnesota Youth Hockey.

Care to elaborate?
O-townClown

So true

Post by O-townClown »

sorno82 wrote:Did MM actually develop those players from scratch, or did they recruit Mites that showed a lot of promise, hold tryouts, and picked the cream of of the crop in terms of athletic ability and hockey skills? I would venture to guess that if MM did not exist, that team would look very similar. Again, MM does a great job in developing hockey players, but he does not take kids with no ability and makes them great at an early age. For his Machine and Deuce teams, he picks from the best (at that time), and develops them.

Bernie is no Gordon Bombay :D

I would like them to grab C and lower B squirt players and make them Peewee A players. Or maybe those kids have balance in their life and would not buy into the program. When his program matures, there may be some of those kids that go from C to A. That will sell the concept better than anything else.
Sorn, this is my primary gripe with the McDonald's All-America game or any tennis or golf instructor. David Leadbetter plucks Michelle Wie once she's already a world-class player, then wants to take credit for her success. ??? No. Homey don't play dat.

The Mite Choice cut more kids than they kept. One parent involved said they kept 100, but the number could have been 80 or 90 because the talent pool at the bottom (of the 100 they kept out of 220 applications) was iffy.

Who's the guy that's gonna take the other 120 that want to work at their game and help them? That'd be a story.

Many of the super elite Shattuck players didn't need Shattuck. Nothing against the place, but it'll mean more when a hack 8th grader shows up and BECOMES Sidney Crosby.
breakout

Re: MM

Post by breakout »

waylon wrote:Here we go! Breakout it's your turn :wink:

Stop it :oops:
breakout

Post by breakout »

It's just another version/diversion for the over the top group :lol:

There is more than one thread that has been locked up by that bunch.

How does that go Boogey, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Is that satisfactory waylon?
gerryodrowski

Post by gerryodrowski »

O-townClown wrote:
Gerry, I'm not sure I understand how you feel. Discussing the merits of the burgeoning Minnesota Made program sure seems relevant on a message board for Minnesota Youth Hockey.

Care to elaborate?
No.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

gerryodrowski wrote:
O-townClown wrote:

Care to elaborate?
No.

To answer your first question, No they don't
Your last response says it all! Buy the man a beer! :lol:
fighting all who rob or plunder
northwoods oldtimer

Triple A

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

You triple A clowns have turned this board into the Bevis and Butthead forum. No content just fronting some johnny goal scorer, all world, lights out individual great phenom. Go watch the mighty Gophers take the ice and tell me how great 5 individuals can play the game. The rest of us are on moron patrol why you clowns figure it all out.
breakout

Re: Triple A

Post by breakout »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:You triple A clowns have turned this board into the Bevis and Butthead forum. No content just fronting some johnny goal scorer, all world, lights out individual great phenom. Go watch the mighty Gophers take the ice and tell me how great 5 individuals can play the game. The rest of us are on moron patrol why you clowns figure it all out.

most of them won't figure it out :cry:
O-townClown

Re: Triple A

Post by O-townClown »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:You triple A clowns have turned this board into the Bevis and Butthead forum. No content just fronting some johnny goal scorer, all world, lights out individual great phenom. Go watch the mighty Gophers take the ice and tell me how great 5 individuals can play the game. The rest of us are on moron patrol why you clowns figure it all out.
Funny thing about your post is that it shows your ignorance. The Minnesota Made teams in question - Squirt age - play impressive team hockey. I saw one period this summer and was floored. Is it good for the kids? Sure, go ahead and debate that. Are they creating puckhogging individuals? No.

Actually, that's what park hockey is known to do.

Which "johnny goal scorer, all world, lights out individual great phenom" is this thread about? I haven't caught anyone talking about individual kids on any of the posts. Did I miss something?

Your screen moniker is "northwoods oldtimer". Kind of ironic that the Twin Cities aren't known for turning out singularly dominant individual players. Corey Millen, Henry Boucha, George Pelawa, Mike Anotnovich... those guys all came from the North.

Go watch a game and then post. It'll make more sense that way.
sorno82

Post by sorno82 »

We can look at this another way. Who has developed most of the players that make up the MM teams. Looks like the Edina hockey association is doing a heck of a job developing AAA caliber players with parents who have the checkbooks to match :idea:
:lol: :lol:
jancze5

sorno

Post by jancze5 »

TOUCHE' to Sorno for that one...nicely put!!
watchdog

ok

Post by watchdog »

I'm totally in favor of (some summer hockey) some baseball and some golf. these kids that are playing every weekend and practicing all week is rediculous. At the age of 9,10 and 11???? get a grip people. i'm thinking by the time they get to highschool their either a robot on skates or totally burnt out. have you ever stop to think that what your doing to help is doing more harm than good? players need intensity,hunger and drive. a good polished robot wont make it to greatness.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

OT Clown,

"I may be 1500 miles away, but I heard the story. Mindboggling..."

Are you really 1500 miles away or do you live in Edina? Your really seem to be up on what is going on at MM, Minnesota AAA summer programs and with Edina. You're confusing me.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Rocket78 wrote:You're confusing me.
Leave me out of it. You've confused yourself.
OT Clown,

"I may be 1500 miles away, but I heard the story. Mindboggling..."

Are you really 1500 miles away or do you live in Edina? Your really seem to be up on what is going on at MM, Minnesota AAA summer programs and with Edina.
Uh, yes. Typical homeboy from the O-town. And I'm known - as such.

I am aware of what is going on at Minnesota Made. Frankly, I'm quite fascinated by it. Despite not setting foot in an ice rink for over a decade, two years ago I told a friend that is a youth hockey coach, organizer of clinics, and proprietor of a website on hockey that he needed to look to basketball to see the future of hockey. This assessment was gleaned from the stories I heard from hockey and close observation of youth (called "grassroots") basketball.

Shoe circuit, 80 games a summer, etc... I thought he'd have a business opportunity to possibly capture a slice of the pie. He seemed disinterested, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Golf lagged tennis by 20 years. Hockey lagged basketball by the same. The path to earning a college scholarship with your clubs has changed.

Like I said, I know the parents of at least six kids on that list. As for the ex-NHLer losing it when he kid was made a B player, that's the talk of the town for those with hockey players in the youth program.

With a moniker like Rocket78, I'm wondering if you played at John Marshall then or something. Do you know the band Rocket 88? They were quite popular locally about 10-12 years ago and then they moved out trying to make a national splash. I have no idea what happened to them.
O-townClown

CORRECT!

Post by O-townClown »

sorno82 wrote:We can look at this another way. Who has developed most of the players that make up the MM teams. Looks like the Edina hockey association is doing a heck of a job developing AAA caliber players with parents who have the checkbooks to match :idea:
:lol: :lol:
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

This is a two-way street and you get it.