EDINA for Titletown USA

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

countrygentleman wrote:Lol..... things change in three years. That's not current. Look at my link. That is from 2008. Yours is from 2005. Current is the only thing you've got. It gives no objective facts or subjective flare to back it up. They very well may have drawn the name out of a hat.

While it cannot be argued that Edina has won more state championships from every sport than Eden Prairie one has to remember that Eden Prairie is a relatively new city. Eden Prairie wasn't a powerhouse in the 60s/70s/80s/early 90s. Edina has been a top notch 'burb for decades. Now you are arguing for Edina. The most titles and longevity are good qualities for "Titletown." Eden Prairie for a couple. EP has been top notch for a couple decades? How many titles have they won in that time period? Edina has 53+. Care to substantiate your claim? Maybe SI realized that and said eventually (fifty years?) down the line, when EP has had the same time frame at the same level of Edina, they will be the best. You can justify it anyway you want. That is the beauty of your SI link. It is wide open for far fetched conclusions

BTW, I don't want anyone to think that I am an Edina loving, Eden Prairie hating guy. There are objective standings out there that would support EP being a current, but not historical, #1. I don't see the point of doing the homework for both sides. C'mon CG, step up to the plate.
hockey34721

Post by hockey34721 »

what about roseu they should be considered for titletown usa
countrygentleman

Post by countrygentleman »

Never did I say Eden Prairie should be a titletown finalist. Read my posts. I was simply pointing out that Edina is not currently number one in the state for athletics. Eden Prairie is. That doesn't mean Edina doesn't deserve titletown, because they have, by far, won more titles. I correcting your error. That's all.
Iraqnam
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

And your only evidence is an apparantly arbitrary claim. Why do you think EP is currently #1? How many titles have they won in the last 20 years (your defined period of their excellence)? How many did they win last year? Present something to back up your stand.
countrygentleman

Holy ****! Read my last post, kid. NEVER DID I SAY EDEN PRAIRIE SHOULD BE A "TITLETOWN" FINALIST! My whole intention of bringing up the SI link was to show you that Eden Prairie is now rated number one in athletics in the state. That has nothing to do with state championships. You had said Edina is number eight in the nation. I pointed out that they are no longer number eight. That's all!

There is no doubt in my mind that Edina is more a "titletown" than Eden Prairie.

The whole post about Edina being around for fifty years more than Eden Prairie illustrates my point that Eden Prairie may some day catch Edina in championships won.
Iraqnam
countrygentleman

A quick search of the two high schools show my points CLEARLY. Edina's earliest championship won was in 1954 in boys golf. They have had a steady about of ships won from the 60s to today.

Eden Prairie won their first ship in 1980 in girls cross country. There is a solid twenty six year advantage there. Look at the fifty state titles EP has won and roughly THIRTY have been won in the last ten years alone. Thats more than 50% of their titles.

Obviously Edina is titletown.

However, Eden Prairie is currently the team to beat, usually no matter the sport. That's my damn point.
Iraqnam
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

countrygentleman wrote:Holy ****! Read my last post, kid. NEVER DID I SAY EDEN PRAIRIE SHOULD BE A "TITLETOWN" FINALIST! My whole intention of bringing up the SI link was to show you that Eden Prairie is now rated number one in athletics in the state. That has nothing to do with state championships. You had said Edina is number eight in the nation. I pointed out that they are no longer number eight. That's all!

There is no doubt in my mind that Edina is more a "titletown" than Eden Prairie.

The whole post about Edina being around for fifty years more than Eden Prairie illustrates my point that Eden Prairie may some day catch Edina in championships won.
Being #1 has nothing to do with winning championships? You have a confusing system.

You can't catch up if you are falling further behind. How many has EP won in the last 20 years? last 10 years? Compare it to Edina and report back if you like.

Perhaps we should drop it. After all, you don't think that EP should be a Titletown finalist and this is a Titletown thread.
O-townClown

in the running

Post by O-townClown »

I've seen some ESPN coverage of this. Boston, Pittsburgh, Chapel Hill I think, Lawrence.

If it is about pro and college Edina has no shot. If Edina has no shot it isn't looking too good for Gilbert, International Falls, and Roseau. Not even if John Harris wins this week on the Senior Tour.
Be kind. Rewind.
North9

Post by North9 »

well the eveleth golden bears are true champs haha
HockeyDadMN

Post by HockeyDadMN »

Years ago Edina had better ice. The community built one of the first indoor rinks and did an incredible job maintaining their outdoor ice.

Now they probably have more 3 and 4 year olds skating per capita, than any city in the state. No one recruits young players better than Edina. They also have established a great coaching tradition.

They actually have too many kids, but Minnesota Made will help them reduce the numbers over the next couple years.
BluelineD19

Post by BluelineD19 »

EDINA OWNS ALL :!: :!: :!:
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Edina doesn't own all.......... They don't own the state peewee A champianship from 3 years ago, the bantam A state champianship from 2 years ago, or last years state bantam A champianship. I believe that honor goes to another community very close to Edina though. :lol:
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:Edina doesn't own all.......... They don't own the state peewee A champianship from 3 years ago, the bantam A state champianship from 2 years ago, or last years state bantam A champianship. I believe that honor goes to another community very close to Edina though. :lol:
You're not saying, God forbid,.........CHASKA?????? :shock:

thank you for thinking of us but, no, really; we do not deserve to be even mentioned in the same breath as some of the other teams above. :P unless you are talking about our nice, crime free trailer parks or our ability to waste tax dollars on structures in the name of improving education.
fighting all who rob or plunder
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

tomASS,

Don't be rediculious! :lol:
oldram

Re: in the running

Post by oldram »

O-townClown wrote:I've seen some ESPN coverage of this. Boston, Pittsburgh, Chapel Hill I think, Lawrence.

If it is about pro and college Edina has no shot. If Edina has no shot it isn't looking too good for Gilbert, International Falls, and Roseau. Not even if John Harris wins this week on the Senior Tour.
Edina will probably try to claim John Harris as a native son.