St. Cloud Youth Hockey Split

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Gold and Blue Too

St. Cloud Youth Hockey Split

Post by Gold and Blue Too »

The MAC expansion was approved for $55.00 per person provided the number of players doesnt drop and provided the cost does not go up for the cost of the building. The Cost of the Area that SCYHA will have is 375,000.00 over a 15 year payment. This is based on this years costs, but we were told at the board meeting by a MAC representative that it will not be build this year, so the costs may change. The space being purchased for hockey is just the space. It does not include any equipment. All the supervision would be done by volunteers, (coaches). The board passed this vote and it will be a passed Vote as long as costed do not go up by more than 25 percent and the association does not split. If either of those things happen then it will be revisited. I think the cost will be more than $55.00 per player, provided the association will need to purchase equipment. I know that we have board members that feel this will be done with donations. I think we are having trouble getting our sponsorships filled, will we get the equipment donated? Only the future hockey families will know the answer to that when the bill comes.
zippitydoda

Post by zippitydoda »

Who else is in on this project? I would think costs are going to increase from what was quoted. They almost always do.
frederick61

Post by frederick61 »

I have been gone the past two days and still wonder where this thread is at. Is it so hard for someone involved with St. Cloud youth hockey to articulate a vision of where the program should be. It’s called “brainstorming”. You put an idea of that vision in a single statement “out there” for people to pick at. Let me start the vision statement out, “In 2010 season, St. Cloud youth hockey will best serve the community by ……

As for administration costs, according to Google Maps, a round trip from St. Cloud to Blaine is a 150 miles with the last 30 miles as stop and go depending on traffic. At 25 miles to a gallon and $6.00 a gallon of gas (in 2010 or sooner), the cost of the trip to one game will be $36 or half the administration fee.
BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 »

"In 2010 season St. Cloud youth hockey will best serve the community by...being one association under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all hockey players...and not part of Wicked's group".
frederick61

Post by frederick61 »

BlueGoose5 wrote:"In 2010 season St. Cloud youth hockey will best serve the community by...being one association under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all hockey players...and not part of Wicked's group".
It's a start. Now maybe Wicked's group has one?
western

Post by western »

BlueGoose5 Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In 2010 season St. Cloud youth hockey will best serve the community by...being one association under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all hockey players...and not part of Wicked's group".

BlueGoose5 funny you should say this, does this mean all hockey kids
will get their hockey paid for, a PWB2 parent told me your PWA coach
talk 2 skaters into playing goalie and that SCYHA paid their hockey
for the year, so he could have 2 goalies, since SCYHA had 4 pw teams and
only 4 pw goalies, the parent also said they only won 1 game, because
they didn't have a real goalie, does this what you mean justice for all[/img]
western

Post by western »

just a note won't hear from wicket today, said to be going golfing
BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 »

Western, that sure came out of left field. What in the blazing western sky are you referring to? Perhaps the family you have in mind received a scholarship, which should be confidential. Scholarships are offered by most, if not all, hockey associations, you know.
western

Post by western »

you don't address 4 teams/4goalies and pwa got 2 out of the 4
pwb2 none, you should check with your board what they payed for
and these weren't scholarships, the pwa coach even told the 2 kids
to go lease goalie skates and SCYHA would pay it, but your treasure
sent the bill to the pwa coach and told him to pay
I guess the skaters just had to take their lumps, so the pwa team
could have 2 goalies
observer

One is Best

Post by observer »

News flash,

Bloomington is rumored be be merging their 2 associations, Kennedy and Jefferson, into one.

Why is the fourth largest city in Minnesota doing this? So more kids can skate at the appropriate level and, unfortunately I imagine, because of declining numbers. One strong association skates more kids at the appropriate level where they'll have more fun, and develop more, better, skaters, than two associations that will have SEVERAL players skating at the wrong level. Why do you suppose smaller associations merge with their neighbors?

Anyways, sounds selfish again to me. 90% of all the people have stated clearly to stop creating division and pull on one rope together. Frankly, I think now Wicked needs to remove himself from leadership, and involvement, and just be supportive.

Especially now with what I'm reading about building rinks, St. Cloud Hockey better put their hands together, and work together, to develop as many hockey players as they can, with one strong association.

Focus now. There will be one strong association in St. Cloud this winter. Get together and start your hard work. With more teams at more levels. Go get the 5 and 6 year olds from all over town. More kids will have more fun, and have better opportunities, if you work together.
observer

And

Post by observer »

Another observation,

You guys are extremely dysfunctional with extremely poor leadership!

Go back to square 1. Frederick is suggesting it starts with a long hard look in the mirror. It seems as though several have totally lost sight of their primary mission and goal.

The whole organization needs "counseling" from a recognized, strong, association. It's a cool opportunity for St. Cloud to really fix it up.
forthekids

Recruiting

Post by forthekids »

Both associations should be spending time, money and resources recruiting. It was stated best........

Go get the 5 and 6 year olds from all over town. More kids will have more fun, and have better opportunities, if you work together.
huskyhockey17

Post by huskyhockey17 »

Western sounds an awful lot like wicked. Maybe they are one in the same?
nofinish

population

Post by nofinish »

I looked up some population figures: (Wykepedia numbers)
St. Cloud = 66,000
Maple Grove = 68,000
Plymouth = 78,000

Observer mentioned the Bloomington merger, Maple Grove and Osseo have merged, North Metro has merged, Armstrong and Cooper are merging. Why would it make sense for St. Cloud to go against the grain and split when it doesn't even have the poplulation of some of these cities that have merged. They probably had good reasons to merge.

My guess is they aren't building any houses in St. Cloud right now either so you can't be expecting a population boom. Stick together, save some money and build on what you have.
western

Post by western »

huskyhockey17 not hardly, but i thinking you are also blue/gold &
bluegoose5 how bout it
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

western wrote:huskyhockey17 not hardly, but i thinking you are also blue/gold &
bluegoose5 how bout it
Absolutely the worst assumption ever. Take time to read what each of them has to say. Blue&Gold makes comments regarding things being done in the best interest of the kids and shows general concern. BlueGoose, on the other hand, chastises (and I would say fairly) the current self-appointed board of SCTYHA.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
RLStars

Re: population

Post by RLStars »

nofinish wrote:I looked up some population figures: (Wykepedia numbers)
St. Cloud = 66,000
Maple Grove = 68,000
Plymouth = 78,000

Observer mentioned the Bloomington merger, Maple Grove and Osseo have merged, North Metro has merged, Armstrong and Cooper are merging. Why would it make sense for St. Cloud to go against the grain and split when it doesn't even have the poplulation of some of these cities that have merged. They probably had good reasons to merge.

My guess is they aren't building any houses in St. Cloud right now either so you can't be expecting a population boom. Stick together, save some money and build on what you have.
For the betterment of St. Cloud Tech Hockey.
forthekids

Who REALLY cares?

Post by forthekids »

It has been said by the MN Hockey Committee that the proposed association should come back the the existing hockey association (SCYHA) and both should work together to increase numbers so that WHEN and IF the numbers are higher this could be addressed.

Mr Kennedy said at that meeting he would be willing to help recruit into the SCYHA. SCYHA said they would address this issue at the Pee Wee and Bantam level each year based on the criteria of numbers and talent. SCYHA is dedicated to keeping about the kids.

Why, oh why is Mr Kennedy and his "group" not satisfied? Oh, that's right because to them it was NEVER about the kids. I certainly did not see Mr Kennedy working with any of the youth at the shooting clinic last night sponsored by SCYHA and SCSU Men's Hockey. Showing support for St Cloud's youth? I think not! Simply self serving!
MetCenterFan

Post by MetCenterFan »

western wrote:you don't address 4 teams/4goalies and pwa got 2 out of the 4
pwb2 none, you should check with your board what they payed for
and these weren't scholarships, the pwa coach even told the 2 kids
to go lease goalie skates and SCYHA would pay it, but your treasure
sent the bill to the pwa coach and told him to pay
I guess the skaters just had to take their lumps, so the pwa team
could have 2 goalies
You are reading too much into this. Refer to the listing of board members for St Cloud youth hockey and you will find that the PWA coach also serves as the goalie coordinator. It would be logical for a goalie coordinator to recruit youth goalies--particularly when there is a shortage of goalies at an age level. This is a non-issue.
wickedshot

Post by wickedshot »

To the above poster:

Didn't know about the camp. Would have been happy to help. Coached in the association not only when I had a kid in the program, but when I didn't. Was that for the kids?

Served as a squirt coordinator when I didn't have a kid in the program. Was that for the kids?

Agreed to serve on the recruitment committee when I don't have a kid in the program. Well, you get the idea.

I however, was turned away from the hockey committee, as was another member of our group who volunteered. Why? The committee isn't even formed yet? Furthermore, if recruitment is the top issue, why am I only the third volunteer to step up other than the existing president?

Also, there is nothing on the website asking for volunteers for this committee. Why? It should be at the top of the list, I would think. I e mailed the president asking for this to be done. If you're for the kids, why aren't you stepping up? I also asked when our first meeting is. No response. I'm ready to get going.
forthekids

Post by forthekids »

Amazing that you did not know when it has been on the web site for at least three weeks. That is where you should look for existing programs. Of course you would know about more if you came to more than just one SCYHA meeting in the last year.

Also just to clarify, the Hockey Committee is not a new unformed committee. It has beenin existence for years. The Recruitment Committee is a newly formed committee. You can check the minutes from the Board Meeting if you are confused and need clarification. It makes sense that since recruitment is the first step in your proposed split you would have your time best served there.

I enjoy the way you turn this on my volunteering in the association. Fact is that you do not see me proposing a split. Trust me, I put in my hours.

As for the first Recruitment Committee.............I am sure that people would love to get started. They just happen to be spending time trying to lay this idiotic proposal to rest.
wickedshot wrote:To the above poster:

Didn't know about the camp. Would have been happy to help. Coached in the association not only when I had a kid in the program, but when I didn't. Was that for the kids?

Served as a squirt coordinator when I didn't have a kid in the program. Was that for the kids?

Agreed to serve on the recruitment committee when I don't have a kid in the program. Well, you get the idea.

I however, was turned away from the hockey committee, as was another member of our group who volunteered. Why? The committee isn't even formed yet? Furthermore, if recruitment is the top issue, why am I only the third volunteer to step up other than the existing president?

Also, there is nothing on the website asking for volunteers for this committee. Why? It should be at the top of the list, I would think. I e mailed the president asking for this to be done. If you're for the kids, why aren't you stepping up? I also asked when our first meeting is. No response. I'm ready to get going.
wickedshot

Post by wickedshot »

I should come to more of your meetings? Doesn't seem to me that many members who have kids attend, not even when I'm on the agenda. Why?

Trust you that you put your time in? Why should I? Private message me and let me know what you do for SCYHA and don't bother saying you coach. What do you do above and beyond that doesn't directly involve your kid? Tell me and I'll trust you. I'm not turning anything around. You get to question me. I get to question you.

I'm well aware of the hockey commitee. It has existed for years. But there are no members on it now according to your admin. director. Again. Why?

Please stop with the excuses on recruitment. This issue has taken from February to now, to be generous. Please list all the recruitment activities that went on the nine months prior, as someone in an earlier post asked.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

I don't post under any other pseudonyms... no need. I'm pretty clear on my opinions and most people understand where I stand.
wickedshot

Post by wickedshot »

Blue and Gold:

I agree. You are upfront about where you stand. While we have some disagreements, we also are in agreement on a number of issues. I also respect the fact you privately contacted me so that we could visit one on one instead of firing off from behind cover.
forthekids

Post by forthekids »

I should come to more of your meetings? Doesn't seem to me that many members who have kids attend, not even when I'm on the agenda. Why?

I am guessing they don't care to hear what you have to say. But that is just a guess.

There certainly are members on the Hockey Committee. Members have played an active role this past season at helping the younger levels implement changes to improve the effectiveness of the program.

Please list all the recruitment activities that went on the nine months prior, as someone in an earlier post asked.

This past season seemed to be a season of filling postitons, organizing and putting on place changes that will only improve the association overall, for the kids. They have along way to go, certainly, Rome was not built in a day, and neither will a bigger, better SCYHA. There is a great group of people that care about all youth that want to participate in the wonderful game of hockey, not just about building high school teams. So many life lessons are taken from this game. The biggest hurdle in regards to recruitment that the currect association has/had to overcome is the negative image it had because of individuals with selfish agendas.

Again you failed to answer the question of why your group was not satisfied with the results (that you helped come up with) at the last SCYHA BOD meeting?