STILLWATER IS AT IT AGAIN!

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Shooter75

Post by Shooter75 »

LOOKS’ LIKE PHIL HAS MADE ANOTHER CHANGE AT THE BANTAM LEVEL. WHEN IS THE MADNESS GOING TO END???

:roll:
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

Shooter, you gotta help me out here. Are you saying that Stillwater replaced yet another A bantam coach? If so, who did they hire and is last years coach going back to B?
Shooter75

Post by Shooter75 »

Yep. They fired yet another coach. Not sure who appointed yet. I hear that the B coach did not return due to all the boards crap.
jancze5

Post by jancze5 »

The new Stillwater coach is going to be good, without names, he does have NTDP background. The Stillwater community has recieved a good apple this time.
New England Prep School Hockey Recruiter
puckboy

names

Post by puckboy »

who is it?- why the secret?
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

Did he coach at the Peewee level last year?

Does he do TV commentary for the High school Tournament?

Did he play hockey for Hastings growing up?

Does his last name end with a -SOR-?
Educator29

Post by Educator29 »

These people always think there are better coaches out there. do they realize lately there has been a hug shortage of qualified coaches because good guys like this are no longer willing to put up with the crap anymore. The KIDS suffer the most. try some consisitancy !!!!!
Last edited by Educator29 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

Educator29 wrote:I am not from Stillwater - But does phil, or there hockey board realize how many players they have lost to Hill Murry or other schools. These people always think there are better coaches out there. do they realize lately there has been a hug shortage of qualified coaches because good guys like this are no longer willing to put up with the crap anymore. The KIDS suffer the most. try som consisitancy !!!!!

Look at the H.S. Team. I believe the "A"BAntam team was more successful then the H.S. team. Not to strong last year. One of the worse in the confrence. losing 5 or so quality kids from last year to Hill has to make the school adminitrators start looking at the source. He may have been a great player, but is does he know how to run a program? I don't know just asking the question.

Sorry but Stillwater has been losing kids to Hill long before Housley arrived. I didn't know Stillwater HS and the A Bantam team played in the same conference? I think a Stillwater Mite team went unbeaten all season and is now tearing up the Showcase circuit. Phil better lock those kids in to the high school now! Stillwater, like Woodbury and many other East Metro school districts are just sharing the love, Hill and St Thomas wouldn't survive without the Stillwater families sharing thier money and spreading the wealth.

Housley and the Ponies will be just fine. Thanks for worrying about them.
clickclick

Post by clickclick »

Even if they have an amazing coach coming in, will their team even be that good?
RushnCircles

Post by RushnCircles »

if i hear the name "housley" and the word "hockey" mentioned again in the same sentence, i will voluntarily induce vomitting. don't you people have anything else to do. - for God's sake, watch a soap opera or the weather channel, or . . . . . . . i know . . . . . . build a rink in your back yard, skip the "elite classic" and the "super series" and instead play in the various 3 x 3 tournaments held in the spring and the fall, and watch your child have the time of his life !

Oh, and bring a goalie, or 2, with you ( to the 3x3 tourny)
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

Matt Doman is a new coach to the Stillwater Youth Hockey Association and will be heading up the Bantam A team. Matt's extensive hockey career began playing for Team Illinois AAA Hockey Club. He was a member of the Select 15, 16, & 17 USA Hockey Teams, US National Junior Team 1999, Captain of the US National Junior Team 2000. Matt was a four time letter winner and two time assistant captain during his tenure at the University of Wisconsin Madison. He went on to play professional hockey for the St. John Flames of the AHL and the Johnstown Chiefs of the ECHL. During his career, Matt has coached at many camps and clinics. Most recently he was working as Director of Player Development and coach for the Milwaukee Junior Admirals and Head Instructor with DC Hybrid Skating.

They've got quite a few new coaches with UW-Madison connections
Educator29

Post by Educator29 »

Sounds to young to know the mental side of a 13 - 14 year old kid though. Sounds like he would have been a better fit as an assistant first to get seasoned. AAA illinios hockey is different then MN Hockey.
Last edited by Educator29 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Well it sounds more to me (with that experience), like a young man that has internal desire to reach goals, I have met many young coaches that are wise beyond their years, and show a lot more discipline, and self restraint then a lot of these so called seasoned coaches.
I don't know the guy..but to question his abilities, you either better know him or have interviewed him to make a broad judgment that he is not ready.

Also not knowing the kids is just what everyone wants these days, a breath of fresh air, and a clean slate, hopefully no ties to anyone, that way clear objective thinking is possible.

8)
Educator29

Post by Educator29 »

I can't argue with that. I just have a hard time when I see so many Long time coaches who put in so much time get booted just for the sake of Change. Its that grass is always greener mantallity. Don't get me wrong the guys playing accomplishments are very good. But like I said - It doesent mean he can coach - youth hockey, is new to him. Unless there was a serious issue and / or you knew the current coaches wasen't the right guy to change just because I do not feel is right. I did not mean my last message to be harsh (If taken that way)
Can't Never Tried

I would look at it this way.
With where he has been, he has been surrounded by some of the best hockey coaches involved in youth hockey today, he obviously learned a lot from them to get where he did.
Now he can share that which made him successful to the Ponies.

As far as change goes..
Have they been successful in the past under the former coach? are they losing players early to privates due to lack of success and or coaching style?
Educator29

Post by Educator29 »

Thanks for the discussion.
Last edited by Educator29 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't Never Tried

How much influence on the Bantam coaching change did the HS coach have?
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

Educator29 wrote:Sounds to young to know the mental side of a 13 - 14 year old kid though. But he sure sounds like a player. he could scrimmage the team like most young coaches do. and skate the drills to show how good he is. Why do programs want these young, inexperienced coaches. Hasent stillwater proven to enough people that just cause you were a good player does not mean you can coach! Sounds like he would have been a better fit as an assistant first to get seasoned. Youth hockey is no where near what this guy have been around since he was a kid. and plus AAA illinios hockey is different then MN Hockey. there is a thing to be said about Knowing the Kids, associations etc. We'll play "B"
Educator29-

Sounds like you should do your "homework" before you open your mouth. Matt Doman is a great addition to the Stillwater program and yes, he does have experience coaching teen aged boys. If you would of done your homework on the guy first, you would of found this out.

I personally watched him take a group of very average hockey players at the U16 level and develope them over the course of just one season and mold them into a championship team that won state and regional tournaments, taking them to the nationals.

Anyone can coach a group of talent hockey players, but if someone is taking a group of average teenage kids and can get them to the next level, where they can not only compete, but beat the best teams, well thats a coach.

Educator29, seems like you should go back to summer school and learn something.
Fire and Ice

Post by Fire and Ice »

???Will Stillwater get the games they need to be successful...Housley couldn't pull strings.
Centennial AA State Champions 2004
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

Educator29 wrote:Sounds to young to know the mental side of a 13 - 14 year old kid though. But he sure sounds like a player. he could scrimmage the team like most young coaches do. and skate the drills to show how good he is. Why do programs want these young, inexperienced coaches. Hasent stillwater proven to enough people that just cause you were a good player does not mean you can coach! Sounds like he would have been a better fit as an assistant first to get seasoned. Youth hockey is no where near what this guy have been around since he was a kid. and plus AAA illinios hockey is different then MN Hockey. there is a thing to be said about Knowing the Kids, associations etc. We'll play "B"

Just like my old drunk 7th grade science teacher proved that just because you drank your way through college doesn't mean you would make a great teacher. Stick to the Lunch room monitoring Educator29. This guy will be a great youth coach at Stillwater, who knows maybe even move into that HS spot after Phil is done.
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

Educator29 wrote:I have heard the players leaving are more do to the H.S Coach not the Bantam Coach?? and I would say - Yes - they have been successful. Bantams were a top 20 team last year maybe even a top 10 team... 95% of the "A" Bantams in the state would love to be has strong as there "A" Bantams. Thanks for the discussion.

Ummm...I don't think so.
RushnCircles

Post by RushnCircles »

Well, let me start by saying my 7th grade drunk science teacher was the best coach i ever had. . . . . anyway

If you follow youth hockey you will see that the most successful programs are based on numbers - year in and year out, the winningest programs are the largest programs. Yea, every so often there is an exception, and that's fantastic - a small school wins state and we talk about it for, oh, maybe 6 - 9 months, than its back to the e.p.'s etc.
But, when you have a large assoc., that has the numbers, and toils in obscurity (a.k.a. "underperforming") one must look at the leadership.

So, to the stillwater hockey supporters, does the name "Professor Harold Hill" mean anything?
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

When was Stillwater ever a Hockey SUPERPOWER??? Football yes, CrossCountry yes, Alpine Skiing yes, XCountry Skiing yes, Boys and Girls Swimming yes, Boys and Girls Soccer yes but Hockey ??? Never! Are you getting the picture? Thole used to not let his football players participate in hockey if they did they road the pine.

The A Bantam team was strong last year but we also have another program that goes by the name of White Bear Lake that we must compete against every year and that is who they lost to in regionals by 1 goal.

If you follow youth hockey you will see that the most successful programs are based on numbers - year in and year out, the winningest programs are the largest programs. Yea, every so often there is an exception, and that's fantastic - a small school wins state and we talk about it for, oh, maybe 6 - 9 months, than its back to the e.p.'s etc.

I couldn't agree with you more. Lakeville would be one of these but they split now Woodbury is getting stronger and they are splitting. It won't be much longer for EP to split. I think Stillwater will be getting stronger with some of the coachs in place and influance they have not talking just about the HS level, Sags, Cates now Doman they will have a big impact on the youth program.

How does a scamming band director fit into this?
davinci

Post by davinci »

Sags, Cates, they will have a big impact on the youth program.

delete
Last edited by davinci on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jumper4

Post by jumper4 »

Sounds like the coach is just fine...I dont have anyone skating for him though.