STILLWATER IS AT IT AGAIN!

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

douglasdoright

Post by douglasdoright »

Maybe Phil should apply at Hill!
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

douglasdoright wrote:Maybe Phil should apply at Hill!
Hey, dat dare rymes!!!!!! :lol:
wingman

Post by wingman »

Thats funny, didn't know Stillwater 'NEEDED' new coaches, or there was a coaching problem. From 2006 going back the A Bantam coach and the A peewee coach were the two best in the state and their records and dedication proved it. Their teams were perinial power houses. So one must ask themselves what really was the need for change?
Good luck to the new bantam coach, he will have the same HM player issues--it will be how he deals with them off the ice that will be more important! Hopefully he finds some common ground that works. Less is More!!!!
jumper4

Post by jumper4 »

Wingman...I have to agree with you on that!
I say if its not broke...dont TRY to fix it. The coaches you are refering to are excellent coaches....that was a big mistake Stillwater made by getting rid of them...there really isnt many left at Stillwater that have the experience and the knowledge those two have. Not to mention how fast other assoc. wanted to get ahold of them.
The ones that are there, well they will probably be gone soon too.
wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink »

jumper4 wrote:Wingman...I have to agree with you on that!
I say if its not broke...dont TRY to fix it. The coaches you are refering to are excellent coaches....that was a big mistake Stillwater made by getting rid of them...there really isnt many left at Stillwater that have the experience and the knowledge those two have. Not to mention how fast other assoc. wanted to get ahold of them.
The ones that are there, well they will probably be gone soon too.
It is funny that this has been brought up again cause I was just thinking about it after the comments posted in the Spirit of Duluth Bantam thread. There was talk about the lack of discipline the players played with and how it was trickling down from the coaches.

The first thing I thought of when I read that was how that kind of stuff didn't fly with the former coach. His teams played hard nosed but were never dirty and those teams never lost control. I want to make it clear that this is strictly hearsay from people I've talked to. I have not seen myself so make your own judgement on my comments to follow. But from what I've heard, these coaches border on out of control at times with the way they have their team play. It is still too bad the former coach isn't there.

BTW, have the top teams still continued to boycott stillwater from their schedules?
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter
hockeysuburb

Post by hockeysuburb »

The current Bantam A and Peewee A coaches in stillwater have forgot more about hockey than the other two ever knew or will ever know. They treat the kids with more respect than I have ever seen.
4thekids

Post by 4thekids »

hockeysuburb - I read this forum quite often and hardly ever post, but I just wanted to give some observations that I made at two tournaments this year regarding the Stillwater teams and their coaches. At the Eden Prairie tournament I walked out of the arena on the second day to witness the Stillwater PeeWee's engaged in some sort of dryland conditioning just after Centennial had beat them by 5 or 6 goals. The coach for Stillwater, who appeared to be in his 20's, had these kids doing the dryland right in the middle circle of the turnaround drop off area in front of the rink. Now it is understandable that if the team wasn't performing up to their ability that a coach can send a message like this. But displaying them in front of every team and fan is not, in my opinion, "treating the kids with more respect". Quite to the contrary, this conditioning should have been done out of the public spectre and made a team-only issue. To really "respect" these players you should not make a public spectacle of them as a means of discipline, they are only 12 and 13. I'm sure every player felt about as low as they could when the opponents passed by them on the way to their cars.

At the Duluth tournament I attended the championship game and watched as the head Bantam coach, who also appears to be in his 20's, tried to make some sort of point by openingly mocking the referee after what he considered a bad call. The coach slowly clapped (if you were there you would have known he was being extremely disrespectful) right in the direction of the referee and would not stop even after being warned. He ended up being ejected. I am all for standing up for your team but what type of example is he setting for the players? I spoke to a Stillwater parent and they indicated it was the second time the coach had been ejected from a game this season (not sure why he was ejected the first time).

My point here is, it doesn't matter how much knowledge a coach has if he doesn't possess the abilities and skills to effectively teach to YOUNG hockey players about being good citizens. Developing the next Gretzky at the expense of creating solid individuals is just not right. The actions that youth coaches take and the examples they set will affect these kids far beyond their playing days.

Just my two cents. I will go back to just reading the posts now...
Educator29

Post by Educator29 »

Coaches just remember your coaching KIDS. Its not NHL, JR's etc. Kids!! your impacting there lives. as a Father, I have seen kids cry because of the way coaches treat them. Not good!!.
Last edited by Educator29 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jumper4

Post by jumper4 »

Why does it seem there are so many probablems with this assoc?

I know they brought in so many new coaches to make it a stronger and better assoc.
Since I am not directly involved I am wondering if this is how alot of assoc. work????? I dont see too many other subjects like these.

Also, does anyone know much about the new training facility in Stillwater?
Last edited by jumper4 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Educator29

Post by Educator29 »

What is missing is EDUCATION. We need to do a better job at training our coaches. Not on the X's and O's. But the How to teach, or child development.
Last edited by Educator29 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slapper Al

Post by Slapper Al »

Let me just say that I know these two personally and I know that they are in it for the development of the kids both in the near term (hockey) and for the long term (life skills). Both have teaching and hockey in their blood (family of educators) and are learning to deal with the youth hockey and the politics. As for the assistant quitting you will need to find a new source because there was more involved than what that story states, but what is done is done. Being in your 20s shouldn't matter and you need to give these young men a chance to develop these kids. You will be proud of what Stillwater hockey will become and the kids that result out of the program. Too many snap judgements. Change is difficult, but don't go into it blind and assuming because they are young they can't educate. Problem with too many of our educators now is the unwillingness to adapt to today's child and more importantly to today's parent. This seems to be the bigger issue here!
4thekids

Post by 4thekids »

Slapper Al - Don't misunderstand from my estimating their age, I am not trying to say they aren't good coaches because they are young, but I am making a statement more in relation to how they handle situations at this age. I have the ability to have hindsight since I am well into my 40's and have raised two hockey players. The decisions they (coaches) made in the instances I gave tell me that probably they didn't think out the possible consequences of their actions (as you stated they are "learning to deal with youth hockey and politics" which means even you know they are not experienced in this area). I would say that in all facets of life we make decisions in our earlier years that we would not make now. The problem here will be if the coaches are "unwilling to adapt" their style to act in a more appropriate manner for the children they are coaching. And it is the coaches that should adapt, not the parents. If Educator29 is correct, and the assistant left for his stated reasons, then I think the head coach should reflect on how he is dealing with the kids. "Giving these young men (coaches)" a chance to develop these kids may prove to do more harm than good if they don't change some of the things they are doing (swearing, disrespecting officials, etc). If the assistant left for other reasons, it still does not release the head coach from acting in an age-appropriate way in front of these 12 and 13 years olds.

This post really has me intrigued because I think it's situations like these that crossover into other associations and I find it interesting how everyone reacts to them. Slapper Al, can you expand on the "Too many snap judgements" statement? I guess I am trying to find a "snap judgement" in the string.

Also, can you expand on your point of:

"Problem with too many of our educators now is the unwillingness to adapt to today's child and more importantly to today's parent. This seems to be the bigger issue here!"

We as readers need some insight into exactly what you feel is the issue at hand? From reading it the way you typed it, it appears you are saying the coaches in this instance (educators) are unwilling to adapt to their players and parents? Is that correct? Or are you trying to say that the players and parents need to adapt to the coaches style?

On a final note, I firmly believe ALL coaches are "in it for the development of the kids both in the near term (hockey) and for the long term (life skills)." I don't think any adult gets into coaching with thoughts of how they can seriously damage the futures of young men. The big difference is if the coach is able to achieve development (no just wins and losses, but true development of individuals) by the methods and examples they set. In the case of Stillwater, I guess it remains to be seen.
Slapper Al

Post by Slapper Al »

I don't want to get into a long debate as my main point is that we should give these two a chance and let them develop the program the way Phil and the Stillwater organization envisions. Sorry for being so vague in my response, but here is what I meant by the statements.

1) The Asst coach quitting story as given is not complete and it revolves arounds politics that I will not get into on a public forum.

2) My point on education changing is that the parents are more into making excuses rather than creating a culture of accountability with our youth. I will not condone excessive swearing at this age and think that needs to change, but at the same time parent involvement should be kept to only reoccuring issues or issues that can't be settled between the kid and the coach. By creating excuses constantly we are not helping these kids prepare to the life ahead. 12-13 year olds are being pushed in sports harder than they ever had, with kids commiting to college only 2 years later in some cases, and perspective needs to be had by all parties involved. Coaches are put in a tough spot because many times these kids come into their A team after being told they are a superstar by their AAA coach or their jacket wearing father, and instantly the coach needs to build credibility or fail.

3) The snap judgements comment is based on a few instances where publically they have made poor decisions, but there is a lot of good that is happening behind the scenes. I also think that development is at the core of an A level team and right or wrong they are trying to prepare these kids to be better hockey players.

4) Bottom-line if there are issues they need to get surfaced with the coaches not on the internet. Teachers/coaches need to get there start somewhere and these two seem to be dedicating a lot of their time for the future of these kids and the Stillwater community. If they are taking it in the wrong direction they need to be told that, but thus far that is not the case. I am just stating my case that you will see kids with a better understanding of the fundamentals than you have in the past.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

deleted
Last edited by PoniesDad45 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikita

Homework

Post by mikita »

High Flyer wrote:
Educator29 wrote:Sounds to young to know the mental side of a 13 - 14 year old kid though. But he sure sounds like a player. he could scrimmage the team like most young coaches do. and skate the drills to show how good he is. Why do programs want these young, inexperienced coaches. Hasent stillwater proven to enough people that just cause you were a good player does not mean you can coach! Sounds like he would have been a better fit as an assistant first to get seasoned. Youth hockey is no where near what this guy have been around since he was a kid. and plus AAA illinios hockey is different then MN Hockey. there is a thing to be said about Knowing the Kids, associations etc. We'll play "B"
Educator29-

Sounds like you should do your "homework" before you open your mouth. Matt Doman is a great addition to the Stillwater program and yes, he does have experience coaching teen aged boys. If you would of done your homework on the guy first, you would of found this out.

I personally watched him take a group of very average hockey players at the U16 level and develope them over the course of just one season and mold them into a championship team that won state and regional tournaments, taking them to the nationals.

Anyone can coach a group of talent hockey players, but if someone is taking a group of average teenage kids and can get them to the next level, where they can not only compete, but beat the best teams, well thats a coach.

Educator29, seems like you should go back to summer school and learn something.
High Flyer AKA T.S. I do agree that this coach sholud be given time to see what he can do. He does have a good resume.
I think what is getting lost here is that the A bantam coach from last year has been promoted to the varsity with a promise that he will take over when housley leaves after this season. Also what is not known is that the previous A bantam coach and the new A bantam coach work for a company that is owned by housley and others on the board. Also the new A bantam coach did not have to go through the interview process as other coaches both new and returning have had to do. This is a large assocation and I agree that good coaches lead their teams to over achieve. Housleys teams have under achevied every year. He is a losing coach. He has the same record as the last coach who was forced out and was a wonderful teacher in the school system. Also Housley has not been able to keep the kids here. Stillwater kids playing at other schools was at an all time high last year.
youngblood08

Re: Homework

Post by youngblood08 »

mikita wrote:
High Flyer wrote:
Educator29 wrote:Sounds to young to know the mental side of a 13 - 14 year old kid though. But he sure sounds like a player. he could scrimmage the team like most young coaches do. and skate the drills to show how good he is. Why do programs want these young, inexperienced coaches. Hasent stillwater proven to enough people that just cause you were a good player does not mean you can coach! Sounds like he would have been a better fit as an assistant first to get seasoned. Youth hockey is no where near what this guy have been around since he was a kid. and plus AAA illinios hockey is different then MN Hockey. there is a thing to be said about Knowing the Kids, associations etc. We'll play "B"
Educator29-

Sounds like you should do your "homework" before you open your mouth. Matt Doman is a great addition to the Stillwater program and yes, he does have experience coaching teen aged boys. If you would of done your homework on the guy first, you would of found this out.

I personally watched him take a group of very average hockey players at the U16 level and develope them over the course of just one season and mold them into a championship team that won state and regional tournaments, taking them to the nationals.

Anyone can coach a group of talent hockey players, but if someone is taking a group of average teenage kids and can get them to the next level, where they can not only compete, but beat the best teams, well thats a coach.

High Flyer AKA T.S. I do agree that this coach sholud be given time to see what he can do. He does have a good resume.
I think what is getting lost here is that the A bantam coach from last year has been promoted to the varsity with a promise that he will take over when housley leaves after this season. Also what is not known is that the previous A bantam coach and the new A bantam coach work for a company that is owned by housley and others on the board. Also the new A bantam coach did not have to go through the interview process as other coaches both new and returning have had to do. This is a large assocation and I agree that good coaches lead their teams to over achieve. Housleys teams have under achevied every year. He is a losing coach. He has the same record as the last coach who was forced out and was a wonderful teacher in the school system. Also Housley has not been able to keep the kids here. Stillwater kids playing at other schools was at an all time high last year.

Apparently you must not have worn your Mikita very much. that would explain your lack of knowledge about Stillwater.

*High school team has improved thier Section Playoff seating every year.

* Not only do they play in a tough Conference they also play some of the toughest teams for nonconference opponents. Duluth East, Minnetonka, BSM, Cloquet, Tartan and Grand Rapids. (no DE or Tartan this year as the have added East Ridge to the SEC)

*Double OT 5-4 lose to Hill sticks in many of these returning players guts for this season, which has the potential to be ther best ever.

*The players they lost (aka Hill Kids) have been gone for a couple years now, don't recall any A Bantams from the past 2 teams that left, maybe a few B Bantams but the Summer practices have had the most kids ever. Past 2 seasons there was 40-45 at tryouts this year there will be around 60+.

* The Stillwater JV team won the Innaugural Traveling SEC JV Champions Trophy this past season. It is something the SEC Coaches put into place ( driven by Housley) So the JV teams don't feel so left out and show that they do matter. Only team to beat Woodbury JV 2x's also only lost 2-3 games.

*Who didn't know that the Bantam coaches work at The Edge?? Do they wear a disquise to work or something? Just because you just found out doesn't mean the people that matter didn't know.

* Look at Matt Doman's resume, Do you think he needs to interview? Other Associations would love to have a non-parent coach of his caliber and experience.

* We will see how good of a Coach Mr Long is with his new team. But from what I have seen at Stillwater and his time at WBL, he must be a good friend or your glasses are pretty rosey!

* What Bantam A coach was promoted? They have a guy running practices now that the high school coach cannot be with the team and you must know more about Phil then Phil himself he has no plans of leaving yet.

* Sure The Ponies haven't made it to State yet, but do you see any State Peewee or Bantam trophies in the Stillwater case in the past 5 years? I would say they is a lot more under-achieving going on in Towns like Centennial, Edina, Eden Prairie (until last year), Woodbury and a few others. They have come ready to play with the boys that stayed, look at the teams mentioned above and you will see a trend. They all lose a ton of TALENT to the Privates.

So Mikita put the helmet on and tighten that chinstrap. Have your mom drive you over to the St Croix Rink this winter, heck I will even pay for your ticket and a coffee to keep you warm or awake if the game puts you to sleep. But from what I know and have seen, these boys are more ready then they have ever been.

My son has enjoyed his time with Coach Housley and is looking forward to his year with the team.
mikita

Re: Homework

Post by mikita »

youngblood08 wrote:
mikita wrote:
High Flyer wrote: Educator29-

Apparently you must not have worn your Mikita very much. that would explain your lack of knowledge about Stillwater.

*High school team has improved thier Section Playoff seating every year.

* Not only do they play in a tough Conference they also play some of the toughest teams for nonconference opponents. Duluth East, Minnetonka, BSM, Cloquet, Tartan and Grand Rapids. (no DE or Tartan this year as the have added East Ridge to the SEC)

*Double OT 5-4 lose to Hill sticks in many of these returning players guts for this season, which has the potential to be ther best ever.

*The players they lost (aka Hill Kids) have been gone for a couple years now, don't recall any A Bantams from the past 2 teams that left, maybe a few B Bantams but the Summer practices have had the most kids ever. Past 2 seasons there was 40-45 at tryouts this year there will be around 60+.

* The Stillwater JV team won the Innaugural Traveling SEC JV Champions Trophy this past season. It is something the SEC Coaches put into place ( driven by Housley) So the JV teams don't feel so left out and show that they do matter. Only team to beat Woodbury JV 2x's also only lost 2-3 games.

*Who didn't know that the Bantam coaches work at The Edge?? Do they wear a disquise to work or something? Just because you just found out doesn't mean the people that matter didn't know.

* Look at Matt Doman's resume, Do you think he needs to interview? Other Associations would love to have a non-parent coach of his caliber and experience.

* We will see how good of a Coach Mr Long is with his new team. But from what I have seen at Stillwater and his time at WBL, he must be a good friend or your glasses are pretty rosey!

* What Bantam A coach was promoted? They have a guy running practices now that the high school coach cannot be with the team and you must know more about Phil then Phil himself he has no plans of leaving yet.

* Sure The Ponies haven't made it to State yet, but do you see any State Peewee or Bantam trophies in the Stillwater case in the past 5 years? I would say they is a lot more under-achieving going on in Towns like Centennial, Edina, Eden Prairie (until last year), Woodbury and a few others. They have come ready to play with the boys that stayed, look at the teams mentioned above and you will see a trend. They all lose a ton of TALENT to the Privates.

So Mikita put the helmet on and tighten that chinstrap. Have your mom drive you over to the St Croix Rink this winter, heck I will even pay for your ticket and a coffee to keep you warm or awake if the game puts you to sleep. But from what I know and have seen, these boys are more ready then they have ever been.

My son has enjoyed his time with Coach Housley and is looking forward to his year with the team.
Wow, I must have hit a nerve.
Fact: In the last two years Elemes,Faust,Bahe,Shaunnesey have left for Hill. Ring a bell?

Fact: The jv teams at Stillwater always seem to post decent records

Fact: The varsity under Housley leadership is under 500. No matter what league you are in that is a losing record.

Fact: I don't know that Dohman or the new A bantam coach is old enough to have a lengthy coachinf resume. They may bring a new outlook and be very good at what they do. It just seems that the policies that are in place don't seem to apply if you are employed by Housley and his cronies.

Fact: I don't know Mr. Long. I only know what I have been told by many of your parents. He is a very good teacher and person.

Fact: His five year record before Housley came is the same as Phils. He also took a team to the region semi finals.

Fact: When you mention other large programs, Centennial, Edina, E.P. Woodbury and don't forget White Bear they have all placed teams in the H.S. State Tournament. Has Stillwater? ( ever )

I have some spare change if you would like to wager on weather Phil leaves after this season. Now that his son is a senior. Who is wearing the rose colored glasses? Keep drinking the Phil Koolaid. I will let you borrow the Mikita.
Fire and Ice

Post by Fire and Ice »

Might I quickly add that Phil had NEVER won a section game until this year.

Also in reference to Centennial, Edina, and Ep...they have all won State HS, Bantam, and Peewee Championships I would hardly call that underachieving.

Can I get some of that KOOL AID :lol:
Centennial AA State Champions 2004
hemiman

Post by hemiman »

Is it true that Housley blackballs kids attending Hill and other schools from playing A bantams and maybe some peewees? I heard that at a select tourney this year.
If its true, I lose a lot of respect for a guy I admired as a kid.
minorleagr

Post by minorleagr »

Not true - look at last years rosters.

Evaluators pick the top 10-13 kids (depending on scores) and the coach selects the rest from the A pool. Coach has to to ready to answer to the Travelling board if he wants to pick a #22 over a #12.

Fact: Faust and FAUST (father was a legacy at Hill and a member of the amazing 83 squad.) Johnson , Bahe and Shaunessy I believe all had parents that attended private school. Casto I am not certain of.

Fact: JV has not always posted great records.

Fact: varsity may have the same records as prev regime but like previous poster had mentioned , there is no Little Sisters of the Poor on their schedule. They regularly schedule Duluth East , Cloquet , Benilde , Breck, Etc..... I think the section seeders look more at a 5-3 loss to Duluth East more favorable than a 11-0 romp over ???. Also , if you want to be better , dont you want the competition more than an easy win?

Fact: Matt Doman and John Funk do have coaching experience... Quite a few minor leaguers and D1 guys coach when their season is over - AAA???? Potulny , Riddle etc ... Would this be a issue if these 2 were coaching in Wayzata ,Edina or E.P. in 2-3 years--- no , you would be talking about great young talent then...

Fact: Doug Long is a great person and coach and I wish him well.. Raw deal from the Kool-Aid drinking parents looking for an excuse for their neighbor to send to Hill....

Fact: Yes Doman and Funk operate the EDGE training facilty , but there are 10 owners and yes Phil and some board members are involved along with a few current and former Wild players...With 10 owners and a medium sized facility , I dont think they're in it to buy that new vacation home. www.edge-hockey.com

Fact: Yes Phil is involved in the youth program... He participates in the pee wee and Bantam practices (last 3yrs) in addition to coaching the High School when he can. When the teams are picked , he holds a coaches meeting that he goes over things that not only the high school is working on but what other high schools, colleges NDTP and pro teams around the country are working on. Wow, what a novel idea , everyone on the same page in an association ..He also assigns his players to help out at the mite practices. The little guys get a huge kick out of this esp. my 5 yr old.

Fact: The sectional loss to Hill had a lot of Stillwater kids on the ice that night- Stillwaters team and the 6 kids from Stillwater on Hills roster. Pretty good represtentation from the Association I would say...

Fact: Yes Phil might leave after his son graduates but you would never know by the way he is involved....If he does , he will have done more good than bad and will have left good footing for the Assoc.

Fact: I am not a Phil lover nor am I a hater.. I hate seeing a guy get trashed for heresay or assumptions.

Fact: I prefer LASIK and my RayBans over them hippie glasses you wear. I also prefer Crystal Light.

FACT: PM your first Name and I will leave you 2 courtesy tickets at the REC Center along with the 2 tickets I leave for Elvis..

"And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance down upon thee!" - Coach Jules
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

Rumor: The Stillwater board is foisting a professional relationship between the Association and Edge Hockey Inc. upon its members. The Board does not feel there is a conflict of interests in the fact that the Association president (as well as Housley and company) are owners of Edge hockey. Wow! That is bold isn't it. If that's true you have to give them credit for being so openly shameless.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

So what, another local association paid $30,000 to FHIT to have there players skate with them on Sundays. Couldn't change schedule even if they had a game or tournament. Scheuled time, no refunds.

Other training facilites are used all over the metro and why not? With the cost of icetime going up and more and more teams in some towns this is a good idea, as long as it is utilized the right way. And based on what my son has paid to train at the Edge, a lot less then a few other places.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

NONPROFIT BOARDS: conflict of interest
The board should establish conflict of interest policies regarding board, staff, volunteers, contractors, and organizational partners or allies and adhere to these policies in all dealings. The policies should include an obligation of each board member to disclose all material facts and relationships and refrain from voting on any matter when there is a conflict of interest.
Conflicts of Interest under Minnesota state law

Under Minnesota state law, a contract between a nonprofit corporation and a board member or members may be avoidable unless the interested board member or members can establish that:

The contract is fair and reasonable;
Full disclosure by the interested board member or members was made to the full board or voting members;
A two-thirds majority of the entire board or appropriate committees, or a full majority of the voting membership, in all cases not including the interested board member or members, voted in favor of the contract.
For further information, see the Minnesota statute section 317A.255. Also, the Minnesota Attorney General's Office, Charities Division (1200 NCL Tower, 445 Minnesota Street, Saint Paul, 612/297-4613), publishes a booklet, Fiduciary Duties of Directors of Charitable Organizations, which explains the law in narrative text.

Explaining Conflicts of Interest
For Board members of nonprofit organizations, conflicts of interest occur whenever a director acts in a position of authority on an issue in which they have financial or other interests. In other words, when there is a dual interest or the appearance of a dual interest for any board member, the potential for a conflict of interest exists. For example, directors of agencies could be in conflict of interest if they offer services to the organization on whose board they serve even if the charge for these services is at or below the market value. Similarly, if a board member contemplates purchasing or leasing property that the organization may wish to purchase, the board member may be placed in a conflict of interest situation.

In cases of potential conflict of interest, directors must act to preserve and enhance public trust in the organization by putting the interests of the organization ahead of all other business and personal interests. In addition to the public's sensitivity to self-dealing, activities which appear to have a conflict of interest can be the basis for lawsuits against the directors and officers.

When directors are confronted with an actual or apparent conflict of interest, there are reasonable steps that the organization can take to preserve its integrity. Directors need not be disqualified from boards simply due to conflicts of interest. Perhaps the most important step is for Board members to disclose information related to the possibility of dual interests to others on the board. Minimally, the director needs to inform the board of the important facts and details and must abstain from voting on the transaction. These actions should be recorded in the minutes to document the disclosure.
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

jollyroger wrote:Rumor: The Stillwater board is foisting a professional relationship between the Association and Edge Hockey Inc. upon its members. The Board does not feel there is a conflict of interests in the fact that the Association president (as well as Housley and company) are owners of Edge hockey. Wow! That is bold isn't it. If that's true you have to give them credit for being so openly shameless.
Voting board members with a financial interest in the Edge training facility openly disclosed this to the membership present at all meetings in which Edge training was discussed. Proposal was made and voting board members with no financial ties to facility voted on whether to intergrate into SAHA program or not. Those with a financial interest in the facility reclused themselves from voting.
All was done out in the open. The training facility could be a great asset to the program. Look what velocity has done for EP.

As for Housley and the Association, he's doing good things and going to great lengths to make the high school team a very desirable team to play for. As a coach, he wants to win and he can't be blamed for that. If a kid is good enough to play for an A team, he will.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

deleted
Last edited by PoniesDad45 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.