Fairplay point

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

slapshot44

Fairplay point

Post by slapshot44 »

I'm not quite sure what districts use it, but I know that district 6 uses it. Basically you get an extra point if you get under a certain amount of penalty minutes in a game. I'm not sure, but I think it's either 12 or 14 minutes. So, what do you think of the rule?
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

Its required in MN Hockey. The number of minutes depends upon your age group so go look on the minnesotahockey website to see how many minutes you can have. You can also lose it when your coached gets tossed out or a player gets tossed out. Its been around at least 2 years and some rough teams have been bumped outof playoffs or dropped a seeding spot.
slapshot44

Post by slapshot44 »

My personal opinion is that penalty's are punishment enough when you have to serve time in the penalty box. With the fairplay point it's like penalizing the team that got the penalty two times.
Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy »

slapshot44 wrote:My personal opinion is that penalty's are punishment enough when you have to serve time in the penalty box. With the fairplay point it's like penalizing the team that got the penalty two times.

Indeed, didn't this ding dongs running MN hockey read the constitution? Double Jeopardy!?
Stay Classy, Minnesota.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

With the way refs are calling penalties these days, the number of penalty minutes for the fairplay point should be raised. It is causing some of the bigger teams to play less physical.
woodley

Post by woodley »

starmvp wrote:With the way refs are calling penalties these days, the number of penalty minutes for the fairplay point should be raised. It is causing some of the bigger teams to play less physical.
OR. . . . . maybe the team should look to conform to the rules and the way they are being enforced. . . . USA Hockey is very clear in the ref seminars and have films of examples to show good and bad calls. . . I think they're available on the Internet at the USA Hockey website. It isn't rocket science. If the action causes you to get a penalty, find a different action! If the team continues to choose to play outside how the rules are being called, there should be some price. . . . It's known as the fair play point!
Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy »

woodley wrote:
starmvp wrote:With the way refs are calling penalties these days, the number of penalty minutes for the fairplay point should be raised. It is causing some of the bigger teams to play less physical.
OR. . . . . maybe the team should look to conform to the rules and the way they are being enforced. . . . USA Hockey is very clear in the ref seminars and have films of examples to show good and bad calls. . . I think they're available on the Internet at the USA Hockey website. It isn't rocket science. If the action causes you to get a penalty, find a different action! If the team continues to choose to play outside how the rules are being called, there should be some price. . . . It's known as the fair play point!
OR... maybe they should continue to receive two minutes in the box. Too many penalties will always contribute to losing more games, you don't need Herb Brooks to tell you that. So why punish them even more in the standings, when I'm sure they've lost enough points by losing games from to many penalties. It isn't rocket science, after all :idea:
Stay Classy, Minnesota.