AAA HOCKEY

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GQHOCKEY

AAA HOCKEY

Post by GQHOCKEY »

What do you think of people taking teams from the showcase hockey program and starting their own team and wondering why they are not invited to any local invite tournaments that showcase puts on. :cry:
TGO99

Post by TGO99 »

who cares
muckandgrind

Re: AAA HOCKEY

Post by muckandgrind »

GQHOCKEY wrote:What do you think of people taking teams from the showcase hockey program and starting their own team and wondering why they are not invited to any local invite tournaments that showcase puts on. :cry:
Like the 95 Wolverines/Mission or the 95 Vipers/Edge? They were invited to the Meltdown last year....Who are you talking about?
iwearmysunglassesatnight

Post by iwearmysunglassesatnight »

muck stay focused on the birds, safety first

GQ i dont think any of them care. Showcase may have offered them what they could, it may have been time time to try something different. It will shake out too whom offers the best product but it is quite possible that the Meltdown invite and Independent classic will feel a pinch. ( Ironic some say that Easton/Showcase trny in May is called the Independent AAA, yet formed the alliance to stop independence) That maybe the difference of profit vs non profit.
Was a duster and paying for it?????
stupidiswhatstupiddoes

Re: AAA HOCKEY

Post by stupidiswhatstupiddoes »

GQHOCKEY wrote:What do you think of people taking teams from the showcase hockey program and starting their own team and wondering why they are not invited to any local invite tournaments that showcase puts on. :cry:
Your statement or question is really saying why are people upset about not being invited to the local invite tourneys - correct?

The answer is that they shouldn't be upset because they made the conscious determination that Showcase did not offer enough value (i.e. practice time, competition, too expensive or whatever is important to that group) versus the ability to have full control of their team - in essence they placed a greater importance on control than participating in the local tournaments put on by Showcase.

I say this with also the thought that I like Showcase - they provide a service to Minnesota kids to get on the ice and play and that is great. They have been around a long time and hopefully will be around for many more years to come.

But, there also appears to be a counter effect to the Showcase/Minnesota Made/Cyclones/Monopoly Alliance in that more tournaments popping up that in the future compete with the Showcase tourneys.

- The Icemen tournament has commitments from some of the Blades teams, Canada, Chicago, Iowa, Nebraska, Northern Minnesota and a few of the local non-Alliance teams so that tournament could become a good one. They said they were talking to other non-Minnesota teams but would not mention names until deposits are received.

- The Warrior Cup put on the by the Magicians has the list of teams participating on their website.

So GQ, they should not be pissed but if they are than that is their problem to deal with.
manchild

Post by manchild »

The real question is who has paid! Until a team has paid you have no commitment. These poeple and groups can name drop all they want, but it is all smoke and mirrors. I know for a fact that they have recieved no money from the Blades. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out by the end of the summer.

Do you have a pair of skates?????? Well, you can be on my AAA team.
Chuck Norris Fan

Bring it on!

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

You, know to be honest with you, I love mn hockey and I love the opportunity for youth teams to win a title that means something in the state of hockey. However, with that said, I am ready for AAA hockey, I am ready for 8-10 elite teams to play in the state and compete at a national level.

We can keep the youth associations as we currently have them in place but, they should be for the average youth player, the recreational player, the winter hockey kids. When is the time for the top tier kids to get an opportunity to compete at the highest level? It will only better MN hockey and MN hockey players.

We hold on to the old dogmas of MN hockey in part due to tradition, and in part due to power. The power of MN hockey to control the associations and power of the associations and districts to control the families. Why can't we have the option of these teams? It is only MN hockey holding this back. I can't imagine why a hockey giant like MN hockey would want to keep the elite players in the state down, unless it was one of the two things that they all worry about, power or money.

Mn players are ready for teir 1 teams in this state, why isn't MN hockey?
jumper4

Re: Bring it on!

Post by jumper4 »

Chuck Norris Fan wrote:You, know to be honest with you, I love mn hockey and I love the opportunity for youth teams to win a title that means something in the state of hockey. However, with that said, I am ready for AAA hockey, I am ready for 8-10 elite teams to play in the state and compete at a national level.

We can keep the youth associations as we currently have them in place but, they should be for the average youth player, the recreational player, the winter hockey kids. When is the time for the top tier kids to get an opportunity to compete at the highest level? It will only better MN hockey and MN hockey players.

We hold on to the old dogmas of MN hockey in part due to tradition, and in part due to power. The power of MN hockey to control the associations and power of the associations and districts to control the families. Why can't we have the option of these teams? It is only MN hockey holding this back. I can't imagine why a hockey giant like MN hockey would want to keep the elite players in the state down, unless it was one of the two things that they all worry about, power or money.

Mn players are ready for teir 1 teams in this state, why isn't MN hockey?

Cant agree more!!!!!! :D
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

You know to continue on!

why don't we have an all district team at each level that hold try outs before October 1. Then all players who do not make the team can play at their home associations. The District AAA team would be funded via the associations and sponsors and compete with the other district teams and the other Teir 1 teams in the country. Ultimatly getting the opportunity to compete nationally.

I know I would pay to watch the District 3 1994s play the District 6 1994s, what a show that would be. It would give more kids an opportunity to play at a top level, with the district team and the openings created on top assocaition teams, that would improve the entire state.
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

manchild,

You seem to know who's paid for these tournaments but in a different forum you were looking for a team. Did you find one that was up to your requirements?

I think that you should contact the managers/administrators of the organizations to find out who has registered since you seem so concerned about who's in the Warrior Cup and Icemen tournament. .

My guess is many of the tournaments are still waiting for money from teams.......
MGHockey12

tournaments

Post by MGHockey12 »

manchild...wait til a couple weeks before the Meltdown or Predators tournaments...there should be plenty of throw together teams to play on.
DonnyHockey

Post by DonnyHockey »

AAA hockey needs to start being a 'true' AAA hockey league. The truth is teams call themselves AAA hockey and all they are is watered down teams that can't play with upper level teams. I think Spring/Summer hockey is great and gives kids opportunities to play more hockey which is great but let's start to put teams in even matched leagues and tourney's. A tiered system like A, AA, AAA or whatever. Nobody benefits from playing in a 15-1 type of game. There's enough teams out there where there would be plenty of competition at the various levels.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

DonnyHockey wrote:AAA hockey needs to start being a 'true' AAA hockey league. The truth is teams call themselves AAA hockey and all they are is watered down teams that can't play with upper level teams. I think Spring/Summer hockey is great and gives kids opportunities to play more hockey which is great but let's start to put teams in even matched leagues and tourney's. A tiered system like A, AA, AAA or whatever. Nobody benefits from playing in a 15-1 type of game. There's enough teams out there where there would be plenty of competition at the various levels.
I agree 100%.
manchild

Post by manchild »

Puckfan
Where my son skate is not part of this tournament issue. After making just a few calls about a couple of these "Premier AAA" programs all I can say is that it comes very close to fales advertisment.

They all say that they have these world class coaches then you find out that they are just dads who have had little experience coaching and have had little if any outside of Minnesota and none in Canada. The world class guy ends up being a "guest coach". Translation he will show up once or twice.
Then when you make just a couple of calls to some of the teams that are supposed to be come you find out that they have not paid any kind of deposit and have no commitment to play.

I have been down the AAA road before with an older boy and you can spend alot of money and time with some very poor groups. So in the end I would say buyer beware and make a few calls most all of these teams that are suppose to be coming have web site and contact numbers. These team are charging a ton of money to skate I am finding it is well worth the time to check out their claims.
Judgeandjury

Post by Judgeandjury »

DonnyHockey wrote:AAA hockey needs to start being a 'true' AAA hockey league. The truth is teams call themselves AAA hockey and all they are is watered down teams that can't play with upper level teams. I think Spring/Summer hockey is great and gives kids opportunities to play more hockey which is great but let's start to put teams in even matched leagues and tourney's. A tiered system like A, AA, AAA or whatever. Nobody benefits from playing in a 15-1 type of game. There's enough teams out there where there would be plenty of competition at the various levels.
Donald- Are you implying that Minnesota needs to go AAA?