Another Way to Look at Pee Wee teams: SESAME STREET version

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Another Way to Look at Pee Wee teams: SESAME STREET version

Post by O-townClown »

Ever heard of the book "Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten"? Well, I'm gonna go back even further.

I see the top and bottom halves for the PWA brackets and am reminded of Sesame Street. No offense to a couple of the teams that qualified, but Minnesota Hockey's district/sectional alignment this year merely set up a couple lambs for the lions.

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely...right!

Another version:

Three of these things belong together
Three of these things are kind of the same
Can you guess which one of these doesn't belong here?
Now it's time to play our game (time to play our game).

Mpls Park vs. EGF

Blaine vs. Woodbury

BOTTOM
Roseau vs. Owatonna

Edina vs. Wayzata

They could even do the graphic the same way where they split the screen in four sections and give kids a little time (length of the song) to choose their answer.
Be kind. Rewind.
mitch

Post by mitch »

hahahahaha...

you could sing the same song for Bantam B trny....

Why not rank them 1-8 and bracket accordingly???

and another question why is regions not bracket/double elimination play??
MSHSL doesn't even do pool play...
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

I agree. Seed like HS Tourny.
TTpuckster

If you only had........

Post by TTpuckster »

Actually OTC,

Based on your input so far, you should actually reference the movie "The Wizard of Oz"

There is a song in there that is actually all about you.

The lyrics go as follows:

I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin' while
my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain.

By the way, the hospital called.

They wanted to let you know that your brain won't be ready for at least another week.

Too bad.
5thgraders

Post by 5thgraders »

Clown's brain is a little mushy and I know why ](*,)
facts1

Post by facts1 »

The districts allign themselves to form different regions. I do agree that the south region was a weaker one but thats how it went this year get over it and good luck to all the boys. :lol:
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

facts1 wrote:The districts allign themselves to form different regions. I do agree that the south region was a weaker one but thats how it went this year get over it and good luck to all the boys. :lol:
Facts, compounding that is the fact that Minneapolis kind of gerrymanders away from geographic neighbors like Edina, Wayzata, and Eden Prairie.

Owatonna is overmatched and Minneapolis will have to play well to be in game.
Be kind. Rewind.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

You get a quarter for 'gerrymander'. Was that on your Word of the Day toilet paper?
_X_hockey4life_X_

Post by _X_hockey4life_X_ »

The system needs to be fixed. There's no way two stellar teams like Wayzata and Edina need to face-off in the first round, while Roseau can basically stroll their way into the semi's. When these things happen, the best in state can't possibly be all represented. This problem starts with regionals. Whether you want to believe it or not, the South region is usually far weaker than all the others, and North ain't that hot either.

Now, I know this has been constantly argued upon because it wouldn't be a "state" tournament, but there needs to be a way to make sure the good teams are represented in state. I mean come on, a 70-some ranked team is "better" than a team like Burnsville or Elk River? Those two amazing teams were denied access because they were pitted against Edina and Wayzata respectively. Flip that around, and perhaps Elk River and Burnsville win, then it's a crime not to have Wayzata and Edina in the tourney. I'll bet Roseau sure had troubles in their 10-0 cakewalk of the regional championship.

All in all, I'm not sure a whole lot can be done about the situation just because of how the teams are spaced geographically, (most of the top teams hailing from the metro) but shouldn't the best teams have the ability to play in a State Tournament?
hockeyman84

Post by hockeyman84 »

_X_hockey4life_X_ wrote:the South region is usually far weaker than all the others
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't district 6 in the south last year and 8 the year before that?
_X_hockey4life_X_

Post by _X_hockey4life_X_ »

[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't district 6 in the south last year and 8 the year before that?[/quote]

That may be the case, but generally speaking, those teams don't venture south too often. In most cases those districts fall into either the east or west districts I believe. I suppose saying "far weaker" was the wrong wording, but you can't tell me that the teams that repeatedly are in the south region can on a year to year basis compete equally with the metro teams. The talent just doesn't ever seem to match up.

Now this isn't a bash of the South Region so don't go there. I guess my post above was more of a rant of how bad the seedings and regional distribution is, so if I said anything that was offensive, I didn't to for it to be personal. I was just on a rant.
conditioningsucks

Post by conditioningsucks »

[quote="_X_hockey4life_X_"][/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't district 6 in the south last year and 8 the year before that?[/quote]

That may be the case, but generally speaking, those teams don't venture south too often. In most cases those districts fall into either the east or west districts I believe. I suppose saying "far weaker" was the wrong wording, but you can't tell me that the teams that repeatedly are in the south region can on a year to year basis compete equally with the metro teams. The talent just doesn't ever seem to match up.

Now this isn't a bash of the South Region so don't go there. I guess my post above was more of a rant of how bad the seedings and regional distribution is, so if I said anything that was offensive, I didn't to for it to be personal. I was just on a rant.[/quote]

Dude, The south regional had Dsix last year, Deight the prior year. Next year it will have Dthree.

Every four or five years the rotation creates some opportunities for other teams and this year is one of them.

Here is the MN Hockey tournament sheet that lays out who plays who each year:

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/handbook ... 1%20r2.pdf

Don't make "generalization" statements when they simply aren't true.