MN Made Machine coming apart (as predicted)?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Doglover

Post by Doglover » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:58 am

cooper26 wrote:I wasn't there. I don't know them and I don't care, except to say:
Sure we all appreciate the incredible amounts of time these people put in!
However, volunteerism is not a license to be an idiot or even do everything your own way. The jobs come with responsibilities - to all the kids, their parents, and the game itself. If you don't like that or can't live up to it, you shouldn't be volunteering. Or you should be removed.
There are limits to acceptable behavior and this forum is a perfect place to discuss them.
Cooper nails it! Being a coach does not give you free license to abuse players, humiliate players, or model bad sportsmanship (this is not directed at the MM coaches - just bad coaches in general). Shame on the parents for not pulling their kids off teams that have over the top coaches who can't handle the competitive part of the game in a constructive way.

Northwoods is right. The days of the old coach that makes the game fun and is positive win or lose, may be gone but I know there are still some great coaches out there that really care about the kids and not just their own egos. Parents - find those coaches! They are the role models you want for your kids so they grow up to not only love hockey, but grow into respectable adults! Those are the coaches who also spend endless hours preparing for practices and in ice rinks on beautiful days while we are on the golf course, but you can trust them with your young kids. Once the kids reach HS, you can't choose the coach. Make it a good experience while you still get some say and most likely your kid will play HS and by then be mature enough to handle and understand what makes good/bad coaching.

hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:21 am

Cooper nails it! Being a coach does not give you free license to abuse players, humiliate players, or model bad sportsmanship (this is not directed at the MM coaches - just bad coaches in general). Shame on the parents for not pulling their kids off teams that have over the top coaches who can't handle the competitive part of the game in a constructive way.

Northwoods is right. The days of the old coach that makes the game fun and is positive win or lose, may be gone but I know there are still some great coaches out there that really care about the kids and not just their own egos. Parents - find those coaches! They are the role models you want for your kids so they grow up to not only love hockey, but grow into respectable adults! Those are the coaches who also spend endless hours preparing for practices and in ice rinks on beautiful days while we are on the golf course, but you can trust them with your young kids. Once the kids reach HS, you can't choose the coach. Make it a good experience while you still get some say and most likely your kid will play HS and by then be mature enough to handle and understand what makes good/bad coaching.
Bingo! If I'm a "problem parent" because I expect my kid's coach to be a good coach and a good role model, then I accept that label. I appreciate and support good coaches and good role models. Many of us would not be where we are today had we not had some excellent mentoring from great coaches in our formative years. Having said that, many of us also had a couple of bad apple coaches along the way that did more damage than good.

Road Rage, I understand that coaches are paid pennies on the hour, but no one forced them to accept the position. Once a coach accepts the position, he or she has duties towards the kids that he or she coaches. Some coaches do exercise bad judgment frequently and those coaches should be relieved of their duties. The good coaches should continue to be promoted and supported by the kids' parents. Fortunately, my son has had more good coaches than bad coaches. I pat the good ones on the back and say "thank you."

Bluemind, lead by example, step out from behind the curtain and reveal your true identity. You're bashing the Minnesota Hockey Board on another thread while hiding behind your moniker.

bluemind

Amen and pass the amunition

Post by bluemind » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 am

Doglover,

Nice speech, I am getting misty with the nostalgic look back to the "old coach" and the old time hockey days. When you stand on your soap box to you actually get much over 5'8" ?

My_Kid_Loves_Hockey

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:33 am

fastncrash

Please tell us all on here the just thefacts so people are not making judgements. Was it a clean game, cheap, good game or poor game?

I find it funny that you would ask this:
ask them why they pulled their hand away, tucked their chin on their chest and skirted away like a couple of scared kids when another Parent caught one of their hands just long enough to say "Thank You for NOT Coaching my kid!"
That parent showed class too IMO. :oops:

iceguy2

Post by iceguy2 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:16 pm

My son stared with Mn Made as a mite doing skills drills each year and we've been happy with Bernie and crew. Seven years later my son is always a top player on the A team. I believe Mn Made had a great impact on his skill development. If your kid doesn't get the drill would you rather pay the $$ and just have him get back in line or do it over until he gets it right. If you watch his younger group he keeps the discipline and attention that helps them as they get older in anything they try.
HockeyDad41 wrote:We're looking forward to checking out the Choice league this fall.

Hmmmm

Why do so many people rip on Minnesota Made and Bernie McBain?
:)

Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!!

96 Fire

Post by Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!! » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:07 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has heard that Bernie is coaching the 96 Fire and is bringing the 96 Machine with him? :shock:

muckandgrind

Re: 96 Fire

Post by muckandgrind » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:37 pm

Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!! wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has heard that Bernie is coaching the 96 Fire and is bringing the 96 Machine with him? :shock:
You mean, what's LEFT of the 96 Machine....

Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:40 pm

You mean, what's LEFT of the 96 Machine....
Muck-wasn't your kid on that team?

Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!!

Post by Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!! » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:55 pm

Yep I guess Do you know?

trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:11 pm

Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!! wrote:Yep I guess Do you know?
BMcBain$$$ is not coaching the 96' Fire. Murphy is coaching the 96', Murphy is not a McBain$$ follower.

Lowstickside

Post by Lowstickside » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:22 am

Is he the same guy who coached the '93 team a few years ago?

Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!!

Post by Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!! » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:30 am

trippedovertheblueline wrote:
Bring-it-don't-Sing-it!! wrote:Yep I guess Do you know?
BMcBain$$$ is not coaching the 96' Fire. Murphy is coaching the 96', Murphy is not a McBain$$ follower.
Are you sure? Just asking

hockeyover40

Post by hockeyover40 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:31 am

McBain is coaching the 99 Fire.

trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Lowstickside wrote:Is he the same guy who coached the '93 team a few years ago?
yes, good coach.

spectatorfun

Post by spectatorfun » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:25 pm

what kind of team will the fire have and who is going to play? will the machine kids take over the team-

trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:16 pm

spectatorfun wrote:what kind of team will the fire have and who is going to play? will the machine kids take over the team-
At what level? Do you mean will the Machine program philosophy take over the program in future years?

spectatorfun

Post by spectatorfun » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 pm

looking at the 96 and the 99 level. and yes, will the machine theme be followed by the fire program

Doglover

Post by Doglover » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:06 am

Call 9-1-1, the Fire's burning... It's a song (I like hockey and the kids' music).

Nhockeydad

99 Girls machine coaches

Post by Nhockeydad » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:26 pm

This weekend at the International cup the 99 Girls machine was thrown out after fighting with the 98 dream team coach in a game this weekend. He insisted that the other teams jersey looked too much like his own players and threw pennies at him for the two girls to wear. Real good example of a coach.

Road Rage

Post by Road Rage » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:04 pm

I certainly hope MM "does the right thing" and immediately relieves this coach of his duties, as they did w/ the 98 Deuce coach. Everyone seemed to think that there should be no second chances for that guy, but then again...

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Is it logical to assume that the dream team was a rainbow team? It sounds like only two of the girls had jerseys similar to the Machine. Why hadn't the dream team coach already made provisions for such a thing? Please tell me something more happened than the tossing of a couple jerseys in an attempt to alleviate confusion.

fantasycamp

Post by fantasycamp » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Sore nose
Kids keep flocking to MM and drinking the Kool-aid. What are you to do.
New staff members, more Choice teams. More clinics,Growing and growing
These jeck coaches are catching on, maybe they use that in marketing.
MM jerk coaches are better than your jerk coaches, join MM
What can be done to stop this evil of making youth hockey better,stronger,faster and acountable.
Keep bashing MM and BM and you may get a job in marketing.
With there growth they may need someone as update and connected as you.
Your history shows your love for MM and BM

harrison

Post by harrison » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:24 pm

fantasycamp wrote:Sore nose
What can be done to stop this evil of making youth hockey better,stronger,faster and acountable.
Were you by chance drunk when you wrote this?

Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:48 pm

harrison wrote:
fantasycamp wrote:Sore nose
Were you by chance drunk when you wrote this?
Sounds like a certain "5th Grader" that used to post here and hide behind his anonymous screen name.

5thgraders

Post by 5thgraders » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:53 am

Brent but by the facts he must be one of the smarter 5th graders

good luck in the nets :lol: