Unique Rules That Make You Laugh/Shocked to Learn Existed

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GoldenBear

Unique Rules That Make You Laugh/Shocked to Learn Existed

Post by GoldenBear »

No matter how long we have played or coached it seems that every so often you see a ref make a call and you walk away from the rink learning something new.

Two I have to offer are: 1) Goalie loses his stick, defenseman gives his stick to goalie, while defenseman goes to retrieve stick, puck gets in his feet and he uses his new stick (goalie stick) to stick-handle or shoot the puck. Penalty. No one other than goalie can use stick.

2) Penalty shot awarded on breakaway; team can replace goalie (use goalie on bench) to enter game for penalty shot.
freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

I thought the goalie stick one was common knowledge.

In Iowa we were told after getting a penalty that you cannot check girls that play on boys teams at levels that allow checking.
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

freighttrain wrote:I thought the goalie stick one was common knowledge.

In Iowa we were told after getting a penalty that you cannot check girls that play on boys teams at levels that allow checking.
I was told by a Canadian team that up there a check from behind is a ejection not a 2-10. They were suprised when one of their players were not tossed.
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

If a goalie has ample time to play the puck before being pressured by an opposing player but doesn’t and then smothers the puck to avoid pressure. He can be called for delay of game. Here’s the rule:

Rule 609 (f)
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a goalkeeper who has an opportunity to play the puck with his or her stick prior to being pressured by an attacking player, but instead intentionally causes a stoppage of play.

From what I have seen, usually the ref will bark at the goalie to release the puck and usually the goalies will comply. However the ref can assess a minor delay of game penalty if the goalie doesn’t comply.

Another rule that has always caused uncertainly in my mind is intentional off sides. If you watch and listen to a game, spectators and some coaches for that matter, think it should be called about 12 times a game. The dead give-away is usually a coach or spectator pointing their arm in the direction of the other end of the rink coupled by a very quizzical look on their face when play is blown dead for an off side call. However when I talk to some very seasoned refs I know, they tell me it really should only be called about 3 times a year by any one ref. They are of the opinion most people don’t really understand the rule. Although, if you read the rule as it’s written, it’s my opinion that intentional off sides could reasonably be called 2-4 times per game on each team. Here’s the rule:

Rule 626 (e)
If, in the opinion of the Linesman, a player has intentionally caused an off-side play (including a puck shot on goal), the puck shall be faced-off at the nearest end zone face-off spot in the Defending Zone of the offending team. (Note) An intentional off-side is one which is made for the purpose of deliberately securing an immediate stoppage of play regardless of the reason, or where an off-side play is made under conditions where there is no possibility of completing a legal play.

How many times in any given game do you see a defenseman, trapped in the neutral zone, avoid giving up an odd-man rush or break-away by dumping the puck right back into the zone even though there are one ore more players well off-sides? I see it several times a game and intentional off-sides is rarely called if ever. It has always been my assumption that in the mind of most referees, this is such a minor infraction that they don’t want to continuously punish teams with defensive zone face-offs. Even though the rule says they probably should.
"I find tinsel distracting"
defense

Post by defense »

I had my helmet ripped off a few times....thankfully my happened to stay attatched to my body not the helmet...in at least one intance, the ref made me end my shift and go to the bench.
I have seen players be ejected from games for standing up in the penalty box.
A few times in games I played in, toward the end of a very rough game, the ref simply lined up on the faceoff dot and let the clock run out....didn't know they could do that...they also have been known to outlaw checking.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

JoltDelivered wrote: Another rule that has always caused uncertainly in my mind is intentional off sides. If you watch and listen to a game, spectators and some coaches for that matter, think it should be called about 12 times a game. The dead give-away is usually a coach or spectator pointing their arm in the direction of the other end of the rink coupled by a very quizzical look on their face when play is blown dead for an off side call. However when I talk to some very seasoned refs I know, they tell me it really should only be called about 3 times a year by any one ref. They are of the opinion most people don’t really understand the rule. Although, if you read the rule as it’s written, it’s my opinion that intentional off sides could reasonably be called 2-4 times per game on each team. Here’s the rule:

Rule 626 (e)
If, in the opinion of the Linesman, a player has intentionally caused an off-side play (including a puck shot on goal), the puck shall be faced-off at the nearest end zone face-off spot in the Defending Zone of the offending team. (Note) An intentional off-side is one which is made for the purpose of deliberately securing an immediate stoppage of play regardless of the reason, or where an off-side play is made under conditions where there is no possibility of completing a legal play.

How many times in any given game do you see a defenseman, trapped in the neutral zone, avoid giving up an odd-man rush or break-away by dumping the puck right back into the zone even though there are one ore more players well off-sides? I see it several times a game and intentional off-sides is rarely called if ever. It has always been my assumption that in the mind of most referees, this is such a minor infraction that they don’t want to continuously punish teams with defensive zone face-offs. Even though the rule says they probably should.
See the fans are smarter than the refs ... let the argument begin
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

We were hassled this year for having rips or zippers open in the inner thigh of our breezers...thought that was a little overbearing.
DMom

Post by DMom »

JoltDelivered wrote:If a goalie has ample time to play the puck before being pressured by an opposing player but doesn’t and then smothers the puck to avoid pressure. He can be called for delay of game. Here’s the rule:

Rule 609 (f)
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a goalkeeper who has an opportunity to play the puck with his or her stick prior to being pressured by an attacking player, but instead intentionally causes a stoppage of play.

From what I have seen, usually the ref will bark at the goalie to release the puck and usually the goalies will comply. However the ref can assess a minor delay of game penalty if the goalie doesn’t comply.

Another rule that has always caused uncertainly in my mind is intentional off sides. If you watch and listen to a game, spectators and some coaches for that matter, think it should be called about 12 times a game. The dead give-away is usually a coach or spectator pointing their arm in the direction of the other end of the rink coupled by a very quizzical look on their face when play is blown dead for an off side call. However when I talk to some very seasoned refs I know, they tell me it really should only be called about 3 times a year by any one ref. They are of the opinion most people don’t really understand the rule. Although, if you read the rule as it’s written, it’s my opinion that intentional off sides could reasonably be called 2-4 times per game on each team. Here’s the rule:

Rule 626 (e)

That's why I love refs!!! As the parent of a defenseman, I always get a kick out of forwards who won't pass back to an open defenseman at the point, but think nothing of, when they are about to be leveled, sending it back to a d who is outside of the zone and double covered. Than if you get the rare intentional call, it's the d's fault. Tag up is the way to go, but without that, than judicious refs are the only solution.
DMom

Post by DMom »

I was surprised this year by a call with one second left on the game clock. It was recorded after the buzzer. I didn't really see the point at the time, and I'm sure the kid thought he got away with something, but it did impact that team's fairplay point.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

When was the last time someone remembers a team checking for an illegal curve and bringing out the dime. I saw it about five years ago in a bantam game....made me laugh, I hadn't seen it since the 80's prior to that.
blindref

Post by blindref »

GoldenBear wrote:When was the last time someone remembers a team checking for an illegal curve and bringing out the dime. I saw it about five years ago in a bantam game....made me laugh, I hadn't seen it since the 80's prior to that.
They changed the rule a few years ago to allow up to a 3/4 inch curve.
Even Ovechkin doesn't use one that big of a curve.
blindref

Post by blindref »

mngopherfan wrote:We were hassled this year for having rips or zippers open in the inner thigh of our breezers...thought that was a little overbearing.
The MSHSL made a HUGE deal about this three years ago.
Your refs probably work high school too.
Why wouldn't you have them zipped up?
The kids can more easily get hurt and the "kilt look" went out about ten years ago.

Another seldom inforced rule is kids who play with extra loose chinstraps.
This can be considered dangerous equipment and is never called.
Hopefully all of the emphasis about concussions might cause parents to tell their kids to tighten their $5.00 chinstrap on their $169.00 helmet and not to chew on their $200.00 custom mouth guard.
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

Yep, the mouth guard one always gets me too. If I can see kids skating around with half the guard in their mouth, and the other curled around their cheek, you would think the ref would notice at some point.

The other one I see a lot is the facemask not strapped back tight, so it is hanging low and flopping around. It does make for an interesting bruise pattern if they get hit the right way though.
bigtimescout

Post by bigtimescout »

mngopherfan wrote:We were hassled this year for having rips or zippers open in the inner thigh of our breezers...thought that was a little overbearing.
Ya never understood this one, always got warned before the game about it then just un-zipped mid first period. Never got talked to once about it after that.