Edina Squirt A tourney predictions

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheGreenHornet

Edina Squirt A tourney predictions

Post by TheGreenHornet »

Post'em, Rank the teams by pool, then the final FOUR.
hotsauce

Post by hotsauce »

Not sure about rankings but...

St micheal Blaine in 3rd
Place game. Stma wins by 3

Edina Stillwater in final. Edina cruises.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

Championship: Edina over Fargo (42-1) yes, forty two to one.

Consolation: STMA over Andover (?!) (6-2)
- If Andover shows up, they have the players to compete. Question is, will they be ready???

**Pools as shown seem to be rather unbalanced. Thoughts?
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

Somebody should alert karleast to avoid the wait and just get this thread locked. Doesn't seem like this thread has much of a chance at staying civil.
TheGreenHornet

Post by TheGreenHornet »

MnMade-4-Life wrote:Championship: Edina over Fargo (42-1) yes, forty two to one.

- If Andover shows up, they have the players to compete. Question is, will they be ready???

Delete
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

TheGreenHornet wrote:
MnMade-4-Life wrote:Championship: Edina over Fargo (42-1) yes, forty two to one.

Delete
geez, rough crowd ...

Championship: Edina handily beats Fargo 8-1

Consolation: STMA over Andover 6-2
- Andover has a shot to get out of the pool, albeit an outside shot. But there are no other "big boys" in their pool.

**And seriously, why are Edina and STMA in the same pool? They seem to be the consensus 1 & 2 teams in the state? At least that's what all the great(?) hockey minds are/were saying on the squirt "A" thread. Now if STMA had their goalie back from the FIRE ... now that would be fun to watch.
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
forreal

Post by forreal »

Stma is solid and playing well. There last loss was before thanksgiving to Andover.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I hope no nutjob coach runs up the score on any of these KIDS!!!!!
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

Hey for real,

sTMA got beat by chaska in the thanksgiving tournament. So they have been beaten since thanksgiving and it was by chaska no less. May want to rethink the old "man is STMA great" thought.
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

Hey for real,

sTMA got beat by chaska in the thanksgiving tournament. So they have been beaten since thanksgiving and it was by chaska no less. May want to rethink the old "man is STMA great" thought.
forreal

Post by forreal »

hockeygirl2 wrote:Hey for real,

Geez, someone else says they are the 2nd rated team in the state and you bite my head off for saying their solid. If I'm
Wrong I'm sorry, but i thought st micheal won the Hopkins thanks giving tournament. Dont think chaska was even in it.
TheGreenHornet

Post by TheGreenHornet »

forreal wrote:
hockeygirl2 wrote:Hey for real,

Geez, someone else says they are the 2nd rated team in the state and you bite my head off for saying their solid. If I'm
Wrong I'm sorry, but i thought st micheal won the Hopkins thanks giving tournament. Dont think chaska was even in it.
Forreal you are correct, STMA won the Championship in the Hopkins Thanksgiving tourney, Chaska was not there for squirt A according to the backet that was posted.
From what I heard, The STMA/ Andover was a combined practice/Scrimmage no score was kept, only a coach on the ice to keep control. STMA is good, but may not have the depth to get by Edina.
iwearmysunglassesatnight

Post by iwearmysunglassesatnight »

[quote="hockeygirl2"]Hey for real,

sTMA got beat by chaska in the thanksgiving tournament. So they have been beaten since thanksgiving and it was by chaska no less. May want to rethink the old "man is STMA great" thought.[/quote]

stma and chaska were not in the same thanksgiving hockey trny
Was a duster and paying for it?????
57special

Post by 57special »

Fargo has a good record this year, but against what caliber of competition? There are 2, maybe 3 boys on their team who MIGHT make this year's version of the Edina squad, which is stacked. Don't know about the other teams. Is Stillwater good this year?
itsjustkidshockey

Post by itsjustkidshockey »

I think some folks might be looking at the PeeWee A team for STMA - They lost to Chaska in the consolation championship of the Eden Prairie Thanksgiving tourney.

Easy to confuse Squirts with Pee Wees???
Trout

Post by Trout »

Edina 3 OMG 1 (shots over 30 to about 5) Pretty much dominated but OMG goalie stood tall! Could have been much worse.

Andover 7 Eagan 1 (didn't see this one)

STMA 3 Elk River 3 (Saw this one... ER looked like the better team this time around. They controlled more of the play and outshot STMA about 30 to 20...STMA goalie made a few really good saves which kept them in it)

Fargo 7 Stillwater 5 - Stillwater outplayed them controlled about 70% of the play and outshot them significantly with many more scoring chances however their goaltending was very suspect giving up 5 on first 8 shots.

Edina was winning early against EP when I had to take off.

I didn't see Blaine they were playing Eagan after the Edina game.

After day one I would say Edina and ER are the best in their bracket but you never know since ER and STMA tied they may have some issues getting in. EP and OMG could make a push and get through.

Stillwater losing to Fargo may change my thoughts on that bracket, however they are not out of it yet. They looked good at times but their defense and goaltending were their issue and will need to be better against Andover and Blaine for sure. Fargo would be middle of the pack in D10 or D2 from what I saw. They will probalby not be in the finals but if they pull what I would call an another upset over either Andover or Blaine they may be able to sneak through. Eagan most likely won't make it. Depending n Stillwaters ability to recover from this loss it may be 3 d10 teams in the finals (ER, Andover and Blaine!) with Edina.
forreal

Post by forreal »

So I guess I was off on stma. They lost to mg this afternoon. Also very surprised that Blaine tied Egan. Maple grove is having a good tournament so far!
Trout

Post by Trout »

Wow. Blaine tie with Eagan surprises me as well. I would say that makes that pool wide open! Tomorrow will be interesting for sure.

OMG may be able to give ER a run for 2nd. How did the EP Edina score end up.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Trout wrote:Wow. Blaine tie with Eagan surprises me as well. I would say that makes that pool wide open! Tomorrow will be interesting for sure.

OMG may be able to give ER a run for 2nd. How did the EP Edina score end up.
Edina 10
EP 0
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Better than 18 to 0.
woodywood

Post by woodywood »

[quote="Trout"]Wow. Blaine tie with Eagan surprises me as well. [/quote]

Looked pretty evenly matched to my eye. Saw the 2nd and 3rd and the Eag goalie made save after save down the stretch to keep them in it. Toss out a controversial goal by Blaine in the 2nd -- I would, standing right behind the net -- and they lose this game.

Maple Grove looked solid in the game afterwards. Everyone touts this STMA team and they're good, but not THAT good.
57special

Post by 57special »

Blaine beat Fargo 6-1. Fargo actually outshot Blaine, but played sloppy hockey, while Blaine played very smart. Blaine backchecked to prevent clear scoring chances, their goalie covered up well, and they floated a forward up past Fargo's D which Fargo didn't adjust to very well. The Fargo boys have talent, but the D was caught repeatedly on odd man rushes , the forwards didn't pass to, and the goaltending didn't do them any favors.

Fargo has some physical talent and could cause trouble for most teams in the tournament if they play smarter.

Blaine might be a sleeper team. Appear to be well coached.
Trout

Post by Trout »

Interesting tourney so far. I have seen most of the teams at least once and several for parts of all 3 games.

Edina as expected head and shoulders above. Several teams can keep it to 5 goals but that is about it.

ER looks second best to me, Tied STMA but looked better than the knights.

OMG and STMA about equal in the 2 games I saw. EP didn't look good in the games I saw.

In the other pool it is very intersting. Stillwater outshot and controlled 70% of the game time I watched...gave up 2 shots and 2 goals against andover in 2nd period. Andover had maybe 2 min in stillwater zone...with that said Stillwater makes big mistakes at blue line and gives up many soft goals. Same thing happend against Fargo and Eagan. They can skate with anyone here except Edina but don't play D. Andover likely to make it out of pool, not sure if the second will be Fargo, Eagan or Blaine. Messy. No one in that pool stand out over the others. Blaine and Andover looked better to me. Andover has a few diffence makers and if you let them get away they will make you pay.

Edina wins in all in a walk and ER takes second...just an opinion. Both games at least 3 goal games.
forreal

Post by forreal »

Any updates?
Trout

Post by Trout »

Pool A
Edina 4-0 won it beat ER today 9-0. Outshot pretty much everyone in by 30 in each game
ER 2nd good tourney, tough loss today
OMG 3rd pretty good tourney, nice looking team
EP 4th nice win today vs STMA, played much better today than earlier in the weekend
STMA 5th Tough tourney for them...time to regroup, rely a lot on the big defenseman, didn't score enough

Pool B
Andover 3-1 won it ... lost to Blaine today 7-2, probably overacheived but their best players came through when they needed to. Probably not the tourney to over acheive in...they get Edina tomorrow. If they think 7-2 vs Blaine was bad wait until tomorrow. It could be a slaughter if Edina pours it on.
Blaine 2nd, tie with Eagan was surprising, lost to stillwater today 2-1 played pretty OK not great but stillwater goalie came through with some good saves. D10 rematch tomorrow vs Blaine
Stillwater 3rd...nice win today vs Blaine to salvage a bad tourney for them, better goaltending today, were a little off otherwise underacheived in this tourney
Fargo 4th Not deep enough to have much of a chance, nice win vs Stillwater early mixed up this group
Eagan 5th Ties with Stillwater and Blaine surprising, definately near the bottom of the pack in this tourney.

Take out Edina on the top and Fargo and Eagan on the Bottom and the rest of the teams looked pretty even to me overall pretty good tourney. Any tourney with Edina this year is for 2nd place. I hope someone makes me eat my words!