Take Checking...Don't take Checking away? Do we really know

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

NSHA Rules

Take Checking...Don't take Checking away? Do we really know

Post by NSHA Rules »

Do we really know what the hell USAH is doing with this checking rule?

I have talked to many about this rule and most are furious and some with small kids who are afraid to compete in the checking are welcoming this proposed rule change.

I talked to a USA Hockey Rep and he said they are not taking body contact out of PeeWee's and they are going to promote more Body contact in Squirt hockey.

Do you see the key wording here? BODY CONTACT vs BODY CHECKING!!

I am convinced that this is where they're going with the the game and I am not totally against this if they do it the way I believe they are going to do it.

This is what I believe they are pushing from all I have read and heard from people in the know. Squirts they are going to allow more angling and pinching off on the boards as well as checking the stick so they get more use to contact early. At peewee they are going to allow more body contact (light checking while playing the puck, hands on hands) and allowing hard physical contact in the corners and in front of the net but are going to elimate the blow up checking while not playing the puck(runs at kids who are skating with their heads down or looking back for passes).

At Bantams it is BODY CHECKING as you see it today, another words Bantams will not change a bit.

I think they are trying to have a system that slowly introduces kids to the extremely aggressive nature to Checking in this great game.

The problems with this is now, you are putting more in the refs hands once again. More Subjective decision making for refs means more problems. This is the only down fall to this proposed rule change.

I am not totally against this if we can get it right.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

There is no need to change the rules....the only thing that needs changing is that the refs need to more vigorously enforce the rules against head shots, charging, boarding and checking from behind.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Hogwash. The change would be a joke!!!! Leave the game alone.
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

muckandgrind wrote:There is no need to change the rules....the only thing that needs changing is that the refs need to more vigorously enforce the rules against head shots, charging, boarding and checking from behind.
Couldnt have said it better myself. I'm so sick of USA blaming checking for the numbers dropoff of first year peewees to first year bantams. Most likely it lies in other factors most notably money. It is during this age thats kids grow out of Junior sized equipment and move up to Senior gear. That size 6 Bauer Supreme One80 that was $189 last year is now $329 as soon as little johnny needs a size 6.5. Those Junior Wood sticks that sell for $30 a pop are now $100+ composite one peices. 12" gloves come with a $30 increase over the same 11" model and so on.

Thats quite an investment for mom and dad when their kid has been an average B player his entire life or may not have realistic high school aspirations.
NSHA Rules

Post by NSHA Rules »

I'm not sold on the changes either but I understand what they are trying to get rid of. I tell my kids that they need to focus Hands on Hands so they aren't getting checking from behinds or head contacts.

In the beginning of the year I had 3 kids get checking from behind penalties and sit in the box for 10 minutes. When we worked hands on hands drills we haven't had a checking from behind since then. Everytime we get hands up on checks we end up having to talk to the kids because the refs don't call it all the time.

So I agree that the refs don't always do their job so coaches have to talk to their players instead of high fiving them when they take another players head off and don't get called for it.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

How do we keep the checking at PeeWee, but still get the second half of the deal of increasing body contact at Squirt (which I think is the key)
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Take off the bird cage and require a proper fitting windshield.

Expose the chin and the little mouths will close.
JSR

Post by JSR »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:
muckandgrind wrote:There is no need to change the rules....the only thing that needs changing is that the refs need to more vigorously enforce the rules against head shots, charging, boarding and checking from behind.
Couldnt have said it better myself. I'm so sick of USA blaming checking for the numbers dropoff of first year peewees to first year bantams. Most likely it lies in other factors most notably money. It is during this age thats kids grow out of Junior sized equipment and move up to Senior gear. That size 6 Bauer Supreme One80 that was $189 last year is now $329 as soon as little johnny needs a size 6.5. Those Junior Wood sticks that sell for $30 a pop are now $100+ composite one peices. 12" gloves come with a $30 increase over the same 11" model and so on.

Thats quite an investment for mom and dad when their kid has been an average B player his entire life or may not have realistic high school aspirations.
I disagree with this as the premise. The reason being that it doesn't explain why ALL sports have significant drop offs in participation at these same ages, dropoffs that are in line with hockey. The fact is this is the age when kids start deciding for THEMSELVES what activities they want to participate in and many choose for THEMSELVES for various reasons not to continue with hockey. One of MANY reasons is the hitting (I knwo some personally who have quit based on that) but it is not the only reason nor the most prevalent. Take checking away, keep it, modify it, I guarantee the numbers will remain largely eqaul to what they are now because it's not the most prevalent reason of why kids quit the sport at that age.
forreal

Post by forreal »

After reading the most recent USA hockey magazine, it seems like the checking rule is all but changed. The vote appears to be a formality. The article speaks of various committees supporting the change.

I might be missing something but do they have any interest in what their paying participants have to say. In discussing this with many other parents and coaches, they all think the change is rediculous. We also unfortunately feel resigned to the fact that they will change the rule with out our input. I have wrote a letter as someone had previously suggested. Do we have any other options?
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

What's next...taking tackeling out of youth football games? :shock:
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:What's next...taking tackeling out of youth football games? :shock:
Yes. Haven't you seen the story of Dave Duerson? Interviews with Troy Aikman on down have flooded ESPN, and there has been much talk about youth football.
blindref

Post by blindref »

How about coaches, parents and players learning how to properly give and take a check.
I see very few practices working on techniques on how to take a check.
Most associations have a one hour clinic for new peewees at the start of the year and that's it.
You don't improve your stickhandling and shooting without practice, checking and taking checks will improve with practice too.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

forreal wrote:After reading the most recent USA hockey magazine, it seems like the checking rule is all but changed. The vote appears to be a formality. The article speaks of various committees supporting the change.

I might be missing something but do they have any interest in what their paying participants have to say. In discussing this with many other parents and coaches, they all think the change is rediculous. We also unfortunately feel resigned to the fact that they will change the rule with out our input. I have wrote a letter as someone had previously suggested. Do we have any other options?
I love how they only showed one write in that supported checking and then about six moms that wrote in against checking. :roll: I've seen this propaganda everywhere.

I think it's a done deal.
forreal

Post by forreal »

MrBoDangles wrote:
forreal wrote:After reading the most recent USA hockey magazine, it seems like the checking rule is all but changed. The vote appears to be a formality. The article speaks of various committees supporting the change.

I love how they only showed one write in that supported checking and then about six moms that wrote in against checking. :roll: I've seen this propaganda everywhere.

Unfortunately looks like your right. Hopefully other options will be available for those they want to stay on a better path for development.

I think it's a done deal.
FIRE*ON*ICE

Post by FIRE*ON*ICE »

InigoMontoya wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:What's next...taking tackeling out of youth football games? :shock:
Yes. Haven't you seen the story of Dave Duerson? Interviews with Troy Aikman on down have flooded ESPN, and there has been much talk about youth football.

Seriously??? As a parent of a solid 10 year old boy who LOVES football because he can hit! (with rules of course). This is what full contact sports are all about. It can be a great outlet for many kids! He can't wait til pee wees so he can check and doesn't get thrown in the box every time some little kid bounces off him when he stands strong on his skates! He is NOT cheap, just strong! Leave the rules alone! Have the little ones try figure skating instead if they are afraid! And I am a MOM!