ChiTown Shuffle Results

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Pylon

ChiTown Shuffle Results

Post by Pylon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:37 pm

02 AAA Pacific Selects 1 14 Delaney Hockey 3

02 Elite 2K2 Warriors 5 MN Machine 1

01 AAA Pacific Selects 4 Michigan Nationals 6

01 Elite Bauer Selects 8 MN Machine 1

00 AAA Indy Wings 8 Michigan Nationals 4

00 Elite Pacific Selects 1 MN Machine 3

99 AAA Indy Wings 8 Michigan Nationals 1

99 Elite MN Blades 0 MN Machine 3

98 AAA California Cougars 1 Michigan Nationals 2

98 Elite Bauer Selects 7 Jr. Steelers 1

97 AAA Chicago Blues 5 Hardcore Hockey 4

97 Elite MN Machine 1 St. Louis Blues 4

U16 AAA Wisconsin Jr Jets 3 Chicago Hawks 2

U16 Elite Team Illinois 3 Bauer Selects 5

6 Minnesota teams made the finals, they won 2. Pretty impressive.
3 Bauer Selects made the finals they won all 3.
2 Manitoba teams made the finals, they won 1.
Pacific Selects had good representation there as well.

the_juiceman

Re: ChiTown Shuffle Results

Post by the_juiceman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Pylon wrote:02 AAA Pacific Selects 1 14 Delaney Hockey 3

02 Elite 2K2 Warriors 5 MN Machine 1

01 AAA Pacific Selects 4 Michigan Nationals 6

01 Elite Bauer Selects 8 MN Machine 1

00 AAA Indy Wings 8 Michigan Nationals 4

00 Elite Pacific Selects 1 MN Machine 3

99 AAA Indy Wings 8 Michigan Nationals 1

99 Elite MN Blades 0 MN Machine 3

98 AAA California Cougars 1 Michigan Nationals 2

98 Elite Bauer Selects 7 Jr. Steelers 1

97 AAA Chicago Blues 5 Hardcore Hockey 4

97 Elite MN Machine 1 St. Louis Blues 4

U16 AAA Wisconsin Jr Jets 3 Chicago Hawks 2

U16 Elite Team Illinois 3 Bauer Selects 5

6 Minnesota teams made the finals, they won 2. Pretty impressive.
3 Bauer Selects made the finals they won all 3.
2 Manitoba teams made the finals, they won 1.
Pacific Selects had good representation there as well.
I would say the Bauer selects were impressive--3 for 3
Minnesota 2 of 6 Impressive? maybe if that was your batting average!!

Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:09 pm

If we're gonna compare, we should at least compare apples to apples. Bauer Selects had teams in all 7 levels and got 4 to finals and won all 4, very impressive once they got to the finals. Machine had teams in 6 levels and got to the finals in 5 of the six, one could say a more impressive average than the 4-for-7 by the Bauers. In addition, the fact that the Bauers bring kids in from all parts of the country to compete on their teams should be factored in, whereas the Machine teams do not have rosters loaded with out of state kids that are flown in for tournaments. Just an opinion, but I think it is more impressive to roster a group of kids, train them a certain way, then go compete in and win a tournament, than simply picking up the phone and putting an all-star team of sorts together to compete. To me, that doesn't prove you can coach, it only proves that you have a lot of people on speed dial.

Pylon

Post by Pylon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:13 pm

I call 6 teams from Minnesota making the finals impressive! Just making it to the finals in this tournament is a great achievement in my opinion.
The Bauer Selects had 6 teams entered in 6 divisions.
Minnesota had 9 teams entered in 6 divisions.

Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:17 pm

I agree with what you typed, but truth be told, there were 7 divisions, including the U16s.

But again, I agree. Getting 5 of 6 teams into the finals on Sunday is a pretty good accomplishment for the Machine, considering Mann and Co. were bringing kids in from all over the country.

Will be interesting to see how the rosters on the Selects have changed when they come to town next week for the Stars n Stripes.

inthenet

Post by inthenet » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:38 pm

99 Bauer selects had players on this team from 7 states. I wonder how much training they get?

Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 pm

00 Bauers had kids from all over as well. They brought one up from Florida and another from Dallas, just to list a couple. Spoke to some of the parents in the lobby before the semis sunday morning and they said the kids were brought together for a practice on Thursday, the day before the tournament started. Gotta believe it's tough to build any kind of cohesion with other kids after only 90 minutes on the ice.

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:07 am

98 Bauer Selects are from all over, as well. Chicago, Boston, Florida, you name it. However, I don't think any of you really get the point. Spring/Summer AAA hockey in Minnesota is about development. Spring/Summer AAA hockey anywhere else is totally about the money and winning medals or trophies. If Bauer Selects or whoever wins a lot of tournaments, then there will be a line out the door next year with parents having checks in hand.

Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:35 am

I completely understand the point, but I just find it more impressive for an organization to roster a group of kids, train them to play in events during the season and then have the kind of success that the Machine did over the weekend. Seems like it would be much easier to simply call around the country and ask kids to play for a weekend. Looks good in the trophy case but doesn't prove you have good coaches; just proves you have a lot of people in your "contacts" folder of your cell phone.

Wrister

ChiTown Shuffle Results

Post by Wrister » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 am

It is very difficult to agrue against what Deep Breathe is saying!

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:30 am

Deep Breath wrote:I completely understand the point, but I just find it more impressive for an organization to roster a group of kids, train them to play in events during the season and then have the kind of success that the Machine did over the weekend. Seems like it would be much easier to simply call around the country and ask kids to play for a weekend. Looks good in the trophy case but doesn't prove you have good coaches; just proves you have a lot of people in your "contacts" folder of your cell phone.
Great points! On Friday the tourney didn't seem to start out all that great for the Machine but at the end of Sunday their results were very impressive. Are rosters for these teams listed anywhere?

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 am

Deep Breath wrote:I completely understand the point, but I just find it more impressive for an organization to roster a group of kids, train them to play in events during the season and then have the kind of success that the Machine did over the weekend. Seems like it would be much easier to simply call around the country and ask kids to play for a weekend. Looks good in the trophy case but doesn't prove you have good coaches; just proves you have a lot of people in your "contacts" folder of your cell phone.
I'll argue that it's tougher to have success with kids who've never practices together than a team of kids who know their roles and the system they are playing. Remember the movie "Miracle" when Herb Brooks talks about why NHL ALL-Star teams did not have success against the Russians..... The Machine were impressive, not taking that away from them but just saying you can argue this stuff both ways.

Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:26 am

Fair point but it is much easier to win on sheer talent at the younger levels (02-00) and when Kevin and Co. pick up the phone, they are not simply calling in decent squirt-aged players; they are calling in some of the top players at the age level.

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:44 am

Deep Breath wrote:Fair point but it is much easier to win on sheer talent at the younger levels (02-00) and when Kevin and Co. pick up the phone, they are not simply calling in decent squirt-aged players; they are calling in some of the top players at the age level.
I would agree that sheer talent has an edge at younger ages, especially the squirts and below, but the kids on the Machine are no slouches either.

open ice

Post by open ice » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:10 am

The Michigan Nationals were well represented in their inaugural event. 4 of 5 teams participating in the open division made it to championship games, 2 won (01's & 98's). To the best of my knowledge, these teams were made up of western michigan kids only. Congrats! The future looks bright for the nationals and hockey in western michigan.

Blackhawk

Minnesota Should Be Proud

Post by Blackhawk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 am

Thought your teams represented very well, beating or holding your own against teams that are exactly the definition of what is wrong with USA/AAA hockey. Flying all stars in at the 8-14 year old level to play real teams, just so that you can win by 8-10 goals a game serves NO PURPOSE other than feeding some egos and wallets. The fact that Machine beat a couple of these National All Star teams was a terrific win for people that really love the sport and would love to see some sanity brought to it. The guy that runs this thing is a great marketer, but he is absolutely willing to ruin fair and competitive play just to serve his own purposes. I hope that you are all able to hold on to the terrific system that has served you so well.

dogeatdog1

Re: Minnesota Should Be Proud

Post by dogeatdog1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:33 am

Blackhawk wrote:Thought your teams represented very well, beating or holding your own against teams that are exactly the definition of what is wrong with USA/AAA hockey. Flying all stars in at the 8-14 year old level to play real teams, just so that you can win by 8-10 goals a game serves NO PURPOSE other than feeding some egos and wallets. The fact that Machine beat a couple of these National All Star teams was a terrific win for people that really love the sport and would love to see some sanity brought to it. The guy that runs this thing is a great marketer, but he is absolutely willing to ruin fair and competitive play just to serve his own purposes. I hope that you are all able to hold on to the terrific system that has served you so well.
At the 99 level Little Cesars team WAS their winter team. Machine and Blades Played them tough and knocked them out of the tourney. The Little Ceasar team was Ranked #1 Nationally for the winter season. This is why the Machine and Blades play in these tournaments Props to them for competing and showing the rest of the hockey world that Minnesota has the best of both worlds. Strong Spring AAA and great Association Hockey. The model should not be messed with!!!

Pylon

Post by Pylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:25 pm

dogeatdog1 wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Thought your teams represented very well, beating or holding your own against teams that are exactly the definition of what is wrong with USA/AAA hockey. Flying all stars in at the 8-14 year old level to play real teams, just so that you can win by 8-10 goals a game serves NO PURPOSE other than feeding some egos and wallets. The fact that Machine beat a couple of these National All Star teams was a terrific win for people that really love the sport and would love to see some sanity brought to it. The guy that runs this thing is a great marketer, but he is absolutely willing to ruin fair and competitive play just to serve his own purposes. I hope that you are all able to hold on to the terrific system that has served you so well.
At the 99 level Little Cesars team WAS their winter team. Machine and Blades Played them tough and knocked them out of the tourney. The Little Ceasar team was Ranked #1 Nationally for the winter season. This is why the Machine and Blades play in these tournaments Props to them for competing and showing the rest of the hockey world that Minnesota has the best of both worlds. Strong Spring AAA and great Association Hockey. The model should not be messed with!!!
Lets not kid ourselves, a lot of the Machine teams practice year round. A lot of spring hockey programs bring kids together for the first time in April and THEN start practicing.

buttend

Post by buttend » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Pylon wrote:Lets not kid ourselves, a lot of the Machine teams practice year round. A lot of spring hockey programs bring kids together for the first time in April and THEN start practicing.
97's NO
98's NO
99's YES ( 99 Fire)
00's NO
01's NO Many of the Kids played in Choice League
00's NO Many of the kids played in Choice League

One!

The Other Bash Brother

Post by The Other Bash Brother » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:10 pm

buttend wrote:
Pylon wrote:Lets not kid ourselves, a lot of the Machine teams practice year round. A lot of spring hockey programs bring kids together for the first time in April and THEN start practicing.
97's NO
98's NO
99's YES ( 99 Fire)
00's NO

One!
Pylon must be bitter

Pylon

Post by Pylon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:51 am

Thats odd, i talked to a parent from a younger Machine age group and they said they started practicing in September and go through out the year. Guess he was wrong. My bad.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:50 am

buttend wrote:
97's NO
98's NO
99's YES ( 99 Fire)
00's NO

One!
So... Only one Machine teams gets together EVER during the association season? Never on Sunday nights at the Made? Hmmmm

hunting247

Post by hunting247 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:56 am

Pylon wrote:Thats odd, i talked to a parent from a younger Machine age group and they said they started practicing in September and go through out the year. Guess he was wrong. My bad.
Yes some machine teams will practice together sporadically throughout the winter season (1-2 times a month) but I find that hard to believe that this gives them the edge over other teams.

Pylon

Post by Pylon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:25 am

No bitterness here! I think the more the kids are together the better. That definitely gives them a slight advantage over others who throw the kids together for the first time in April. I like the idea of the kids skating together as often as possible, i am for keeping the teams together through out the season but that discussion is for another day.

Lagerstrom

Post by Lagerstrom » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:05 pm

My son plays for the the 2000 Machine team, for what it is worth, we did not have any practices over the 2010/2011 winter season since the players were playing for their respective teams which inluded the 2000 Fire and many associations across the Metro. Mandatory practices did not begin until after Spring break, April 5th. Interesting as well the 2000 Bauer Selects team is basically the same team they had last year with maybe two to three new players. That team has been together for some time. The 2000 Machine team did have some practices during the prior winter season (2009/2010), but not this past winter. I can not speak for the other Machine teams. Thank you.