98 Fire tryouts?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

2112
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Post by 2112 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:55 pm

JSR, do you actually believe the fire would be as competitive if the Minnesota kids did not play on the team?
Do you base your thoughts on any real proof, or does it just fit into your agenda?

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 pm

2112 wrote:JSR, do you actually believe the fire would be as competitive if the Minnesota kids did not play on the team?
Do you base your thoughts on any real proof, or does it just fit into your agenda?
JSR is a carpet bagger from Madison Wisconsin.

The people that are actually affected by the fire have a right to their opinion.

Anyone that has spent 6 or more years in the Minnesota system understands the argument.

Attending a couple of wild west summer tournaments in Minnesota just isn't enough experience to discuss what is a serious topic for many Minnesota hockey people.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Too bad so many of them don't wish to state it...

old goalie85
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Q- Has not effected FL @ all. I like options. IF I lived in wester Wi I would welcome a rule that gave MORE local kids a shot. You and I both know this has been a "timebomb" waiting to go off. This may infact push Mn hockey to loosen up. I don't think AAA is bad. Just would like to see Mn kids represent Mn teams. Not skate around the system. I'm for Mn having a few AAA teams of our own. Is that straight forward enogh for you. FL benifitted from the Fire program 93 Kohls.

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:20 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Q- Has not effected FL @ all. I like options. IF I lived in wester Wi I would welcome a rule that gave MORE local kids a shot. You and I both know this has been a "timebomb" waiting to go off. This may infact push Mn hockey to loosen up. I don't think AAA is bad. Just would like to see Mn kids represent Mn teams. Not skate around the system. I'm for Mn having a few AAA teams of our own. Is that straight forward enogh for you. FL benifitted from the Fire program 93 Kohls.
That's pretty much what I expected you to say. I just think it would be good for knowledgeable hockey people to speak up. It makes it a lot easier for the fence sitters to figure it out.

AAA will get here sooner or later. We all know how the level of AAA summer hockey has improved in the last couple of years.. The Nat's are a good example of a good team moving into the top team category.

It's pretty hard to go back to association hockey after a season on a real tier 1 team.

What we need is a little more clarity...Thank you for your reply ....Q!

Wrister
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:57 am

98 Fire Tryout

Post by Wrister » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:26 pm

It would be interesting to see how many players from WI tryout and how many of them get booted for MN players. I would be curious if the Fire was a MN program and had 90% WI players on the team if many of these same posters would be ok with that? These same people would be screaming about getting the cheese head kids out of a MN program.

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Re: 98 Fire Tryout

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Wrister wrote:It would be interesting to see how many players from WI tryout and how many of them get booted for MN players. I would be curious if the Fire was a MN program and had 90% WI players on the team if many of these same posters would be ok with that? These same people would be screaming about getting the cheese head kids out of a MN program.
Let's face it.. The Fire is a Minnesota program hiding out in Wisconsin.
The border towns are a little different, as about half if not more of the population work and play in Minnesota. The Fire has no effect on the Wisconsin kids that can make the team.

Hudson and River Falls have vibrant youth programs.

That being said, many people would love to see tier 1 programs in Minnesota. We already have them in Wisconsin.

The rest of the argument is just dumb.. Those "Cheese head kids" as you call them that can make the team are on it...Why drag the program down for some phony quota?

old goalie85
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:57 pm

I wouldn't like it if the shoe was on the other foot!!! No way Wisc kids on a mn team no one would. Try dropping team Wisc in the Elite prep and put those kids on Mn teams you would hear the sceaming in Madison. Same difference to me.

old goalie85
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:58 pm

I meant you could hear the Mn screaming all the down in Madison.

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:04 pm

old goalie85 wrote:I wouldn't like it if the shoe was on the other foot!!! No way Wisc kids on a mn team no one would. Try dropping team Wisc in the Elite prep and put those kids on Mn teams you would hear the sceaming in Madison. Same difference to me.
Your talking about the current system i assume.

If the Nat's went Tier 1 in Minnesota, and they could recruit a kid from New Richmond Wisconsin to get into the playoffs would you say no way.

I don't think so.. And when Yuro imports the A list for summer AAA tournaments, I suppose you are right in his face insisting that only Minnesota kids can play on a Minnesota team..

Apples and oranges my friend...

old goalie85
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:12 pm

A guy would have to get on his knees to be face to face w/Steve. As far as the rest of your statement " food for thought" .

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:14 pm

old goalie85 wrote:A guy would have to get on his knees to be face to face w/Steve. As far as the rest of your statement " food for thought" .
:lol: I knew there was a reason i liked you !!!

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

So let’s play the what if game..

What if The Fire, The Machine, the Blades, The Reebok nationals, The TC Bulls, the Legacy, The Edge, and, The Icemen…formed a Tier 1 AAA league in the State of Minnesota?

Here is an 8 team league that would be competitive on the National scene out of the gate. With the addition of two or three kids per team, a national championship could be a reality for the State of Minnesota.

If the league were to end at Bantam age it would not hurt the Minnesota High School League. It would make it better!!

It would affect the association youth programs in as much as their studs would be doing something a lot more productive for their individual hockey development. All things being equal, Minnesota hockey would still have what they have now without penalizing a few elite players.

So tell me again ...why is this a bad thing ???

JSR
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:55 pm

2112 wrote:JSR, do you actually believe the fire would be as competitive if the Minnesota kids did not play on the team?
Do you base your thoughts on any real proof, or does it just fit into your agenda?
How do I have an agenda? The Fire have ZERO impact on me, my association, my kids etc....

As for competitiveness, are you telling me you are totall, 100% certain that if the Fire were 60% WI kids and 40% MN instead of the current 25% WI kids, 75% Mn kids that it would somehow be leaps nd bounds wrose off?? Lot so good skaters in WI, especially up north, I doubt moving the percentages by that amoutn would make a huge diffference, probably pretty negligible especially in the age group they field teams at.

JSR
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Everyone knows that the Fire is the only outlet for kids in the twin city metro to play winter AAA tier 1 hockey.

We also know that Minnesota hockey want's the Fire magnet gone.

As a Wisconsin resident that is living within spitting distance of Hudson, I can say the Fire program isn't hurting anyone in this part of Wisconsin.

Perhaps the fact that they are always competitive on the national level has something to do with the fact so many people would like to see them gone.

There are a lot of people that have pretty solid opinions regarding the Fire.

The fire club isn't hurting anyone. In fact it's helping a few..

Get off the kill the Fire kick and worry about your own programs.
Quasar wrote:
2112 wrote:JSR, do you actually believe the fire would be as competitive if the Minnesota kids did not play on the team?
Do you base your thoughts on any real proof, or does it just fit into your agenda?
JSR is a carpet bagger from Madison Wisconsin.

The people that are actually affected by the fire have a right to their opinion.

Anyone that has spent 6 or more years in the Minnesota system understands the argument.

Attending a couple of wild west summer tournaments in Minnesota just isn't enough experience to discuss what is a serious topic for many Minnesota hockey people.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Too bad so many of them don't wish to state it...
Do you even know what a carpetbagger is? I suspect not considering your incorrect useage of the term here.

That said, first of all where in ANY of this thread was I trying to kill off the Fire. I don't think I even offered an opinion at any point in the conversation about the Fire one way or another. I offered a few bits of FACTUAL knowledge that I don't think anyone but Wrister knew before I mentioned it because I thought you folks might want to know. Sounds to me like your fuse is so quickly lit you can't even read objective commentary without thinking it's some sort of attack........

As for whether the Fire help or hurt any communities, kids or whatever, that's an opinion you have not a fact. I have no idea if it's helping or hurthing anyone, hence I've offered no opinion to that effect nor have I attacked anyone regarding the subject. Learn how to properly use the terminolgy you tried to attack me with and then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation. :roll:

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:22 pm

JSR wrote:
Everyone knows that the Fire is the only outlet for kids in the twin city metro to play winter AAA tier 1 hockey.

We also know that Minnesota hockey want's the Fire magnet gone.

As a Wisconsin resident that is living within spitting distance of Hudson, I can say the Fire program isn't hurting anyone in this part of Wisconsin.

Perhaps the fact that they are always competitive on the national level has something to do with the fact so many people would like to see them gone.

There are a lot of people that have pretty solid opinions regarding the Fire.

The fire club isn't hurting anyone. In fact it's helping a few..

Get off the kill the Fire kick and worry about your own programs.
Quasar wrote:
2112 wrote:JSR, do you actually believe the fire would be as competitive if the Minnesota kids did not play on the team?
Do you base your thoughts on any real proof, or does it just fit into your agenda?
JSR is a carpet bagger from Madison Wisconsin.

The people that are actually affected by the fire have a right to their opinion.

Anyone that has spent 6 or more years in the Minnesota system understands the argument.

Attending a couple of wild west summer tournaments in Minnesota just isn't enough experience to discuss what is a serious topic for many Minnesota hockey people.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Too bad so many of them don't wish to state it...
Do you even know what a carpetbagger is? I suspect not considering your incorrect useage of the term here.

That said, first of all where in ANY of this thread was I trying to kill off the Fire. I don't think I even offered an opinion at any point in the conversation about the Fire one way or another. I offered a few bits of FACTUAL knowledge that I don't think anyone but Wrister knew before I mentioned it because I thought you folks might want to know. Sounds to me like your fuse is so quickly lit you can't even read objective commentary without thinking it's some sort of attack........

As for whether the Fire help or hurt any communities, kids or whatever, that's an opinion you have not a fact. I have no idea if it's helping or hurthing anyone, hence I've offered no opinion to that effect nor have I attacked anyone regarding the subject. Learn how to properly use the terminolgy you tried to attack me with and then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation. :roll:
Guess I hit a nerve !!

Your input so far has shown that you have no understanding of the situation here.

You are welcome to state your views . So am I.

I spent many years in the Minnesota hockey system. as a player, a coach and a parent of a player.

When you say we have no idea if what we are saying is right or wrong, you are mistaken!! We have a lot of experience eating each other alive over this subject, which you would know if you were any thing but an opinion on a internet forum.

As for the carpetbagger reference. It fits.. Basically an out of town expert with a straw suitcase, which describes you to a tee !!

JSR
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Quasar wrote:
JSR wrote:
Everyone knows that the Fire is the only outlet for kids in the twin city metro to play winter AAA tier 1 hockey.

We also know that Minnesota hockey want's the Fire magnet gone.

As a Wisconsin resident that is living within spitting distance of Hudson, I can say the Fire program isn't hurting anyone in this part of Wisconsin.

Perhaps the fact that they are always competitive on the national level has something to do with the fact so many people would like to see them gone.

There are a lot of people that have pretty solid opinions regarding the Fire.

The fire club isn't hurting anyone. In fact it's helping a few..

Get off the kill the Fire kick and worry about your own programs.
Quasar wrote:
2112 wrote:JSR, do you actually believe the fire would be as competitive if the Minnesota kids did not play on the team?
Do you base your thoughts on any real proof, or does it just fit into your agenda?
JSR is a carpet bagger from Madison Wisconsin.

The people that are actually affected by the fire have a right to their opinion.

Anyone that has spent 6 or more years in the Minnesota system understands the argument.

Attending a couple of wild west summer tournaments in Minnesota just isn't enough experience to discuss what is a serious topic for many Minnesota hockey people.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Too bad so many of them don't wish to state it...
Do you even know what a carpetbagger is? I suspect not considering your incorrect useage of the term here.

That said, first of all where in ANY of this thread was I trying to kill off the Fire. I don't think I even offered an opinion at any point in the conversation about the Fire one way or another. I offered a few bits of FACTUAL knowledge that I don't think anyone but Wrister knew before I mentioned it because I thought you folks might want to know. Sounds to me like your fuse is so quickly lit you can't even read objective commentary without thinking it's some sort of attack........

As for whether the Fire help or hurt any communities, kids or whatever, that's an opinion you have not a fact. I have no idea if it's helping or hurthing anyone, hence I've offered no opinion to that effect nor have I attacked anyone regarding the subject. Learn how to properly use the terminolgy you tried to attack me with and then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation. :roll:
Guess I hit a nerve !!

Your input so far has shown that you have no understanding of the situation here.

You are welcome to state your views . So am I.

I spent many years in the Minnesota hockey system. as a player, a coach and a parent of a player.

When you say we have no idea if what we are saying is right or wrong, you are mistaken!! We have a lot of experience eating each other alive over this subject, which you would know if you were any thing but an opinion on a internet forum.

As for the carpetbagger reference. It fits.. Basically an out of town expert with a straw suitcase, which describes you to a tee !!
Actually in this instance you are the carpetbagger as the Fire are a WI team. Making them under WI jurisdiction and hence anything about them makes them a WI issue not a MN issue, I don;t care how close or far they are from the boarder, the minute they register as a WI team they are a WI team to be dealt with by Wisconsites. Hence, it is actually you who are the carpetbagger in this instance. Again please understand your subject matter and quit thinking that just because it is a team made up of mostly MN kids that somehow the team is not a WI issue. If youw ant to to be a MN issue then bring the team back across the boarder and deal with it there.

As for your other misinofrmed assertions, please tell me where I ever said anything to the effect that "When you say we have no idea if what we are saying is right or wrong". I do not see anywhere in this thread that I told anyone they were right or wrong on anything opinion based but you sure stuck your nose in on overstretched your bounds on some fact based issues. You are welcome to state your views but atleast have some semblance of objectivity and show some semblance of decorum, your point would carry more weight if you did. It shows how narrow minded you are that you thought my posts even remotely insinuated that I wanted to kill off the Fire and that I had some sort of carpetbagging agenda. Wow, the only nerve hit on this thread is clearly the one touched off in you and shown clearly by yoru nonsencial rants.

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Ok, JSR, let me give this a try...

As for the carpetbagger joke, perhaps if you know that I am a Wisconsin resident we can put that one to bed. I have been living in Wisconsin for over twenty years. I think that takes care of the previous subject.

You are correct that the whole issue is a Wisconsin issue.

There is nothing the Minnesota Fire supporters would like better than to move the team to Minnesota.

Because of the structure of Minnesota youth hockey this cannot be done.

For a while the Fire did their thing without any negative vibes from anyone.

But it became a threat to Minnesota hockey. So they found people like you in the Wisconsin system that didn't care about border town disputes.

It might be helpful to know that the Fire resides in the official greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul metro area. But you are right it is across the river in Wisconsin.

And yes you are correct... It is a hot button issue with me!!

I just don't like people wielding power over others just because they can, especially when it means zero to them as you stated.

I don't want to have a on-going verbal, or any other kind of contest about this with you.

So if I said, or did, anything that you feel was out of line you must understand I was reading between the lines.

So for that I apologize ....

For taking the side of the Fire ..Not so much....

O-townClown
Posts: 4044
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 pm

old goalie85 wrote:What % of teams like Chi-Mission, Det. Honey, Compuware, St Louis Jr, Blues, Yada yada are from those states??? This question maybe up O-town's alley.
Old:

Very good question. I don't have hard numbers, but I have an idea to help you understand that these teams at the top of the Tier I world are not reliant on local players.

A discussion with the Illinois affiliate Prez at the Winter Meeting discussed the fact that some percentage (I think 10-20%) of their Tier I players are from outside the affiliate. He felt that Tier I should give opportunities for players from the affiliate to play at the so-called 'highest level'. Why do we need outsiders? Of course, I could have countered and it would lead to a circular argument. Maybe the imports provide the depth so the teams are strong enough, thus letting the Illinois players be competitive at this level. An example of a player from outside the affiliate is Dustin Byfuglien.

St. Louis had the Jr. Blues ranked #1 in the computer rankings for several birth years two seasons ago. An out-of-area player on their Pee Wee team was the Norman kid (dad was a top HS recruit out of the Twin Cities in mid-80s). I think they live in White Bear Lake.

As for Detroit, they don't dominate the scene at AAA Squirt. As kids get older it gets crazy. Billet families take in players to play Bantam hockey. The top five programs are heavily sponsored. An example of a player moving to Detroit for youth hockey is Rocco Grimaldi. I know some Florida kids that have migrated that way (Conway, Carpenter) and next year there will be several more as the Everblades 98 (runner-up Tier I National Championship) team split up. The myth is that you are competing against the best players from Michigan or Detroit. The reality is that for Bantams and Midget these teams are the best players from Michigan plus exceptional kids that are joining these teams from other areas.

A story about the reasoning behind HPC was told to me this way. USA Hockey officials were watching a final of Tier I, probably either Bantam or Midget. The team from Detroit had three kids from Texas and the team from Dallas had three kids from Detroit. It was clear as a bell that youth hockey needed to be improved (if you are an optimist) or fixed (if you acknowledged the obvious flaws). Stuck on the planning board, the HPCs are going to require geographic sensibility since the practice to game ratio means far fewer games.

Last anecdotal story is the guy at one of my coaching certification classes. His son had played for the St. Louis Jr. Blues (where they lived) and then the Wisconsin Fire. What!?

Some posters look up to Tier I like it is the holy grail of youth hockey. My opinion is that it is a cesspool because adults involved with the better teams have demanded a wholly distorted emphasis on winning. For the masses in the middle or below, "AAA" hockey is really just "AA that can pay". Why get on a team just to be fodder for the strongest programs? Hockey is a sport where you can develop individually even if you aren't surrounded by the next Paul Coffey.

I'm certainly no expert on Tier I, so I can't get you the hard numbers on roster composition. Hopefully these comments help.
Be kind. Rewind.

council member retired
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Nordeast Mpls

Post by council member retired » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:30 pm

[quote="O-townClown"][quote="old goalie85"]What % of teams like Chi-Mission, Det. Honey, Compuware, St Louis Jr, Blues, Yada yada are from those states??? This question maybe up O-town's alley.[/quote]

Old:

Very good question. I don't have hard numbers, but I have an idea to help you understand that these teams at the top of the Tier I world are not reliant on local players.

A discussion with the Illinois affiliate Prez at the Winter Meeting discussed the fact that some percentage (I think 10-20%) of their Tier I players are from outside the affiliate. He felt that Tier I should give opportunities for players from the affiliate to play at the so-called 'highest level'. Why do we need outsiders? Of course, I could have countered and it would lead to a circular argument. Maybe the imports provide the depth so the teams are strong enough, thus letting the Illinois players be competitive at this level. An example of a player from outside the affiliate is Dustin Byfuglien.

St. Louis had the Jr. Blues ranked #1 in the computer rankings for several birth years two seasons ago. An out-of-area player on their Pee Wee team was the Norman kid (dad was a top HS recruit out of the Twin Cities in mid-80s). I think they live in White Bear Lake.

As for Detroit, they don't dominate the scene at AAA Squirt. As kids get older it gets crazy. Billet families take in players to play Bantam hockey. The top five programs are heavily sponsored. An example of a player moving to Detroit for youth hockey is Rocco Grimaldi. I know some Florida kids that have migrated that way (Conway, Carpenter) and next year there will be several more as the Everblades 98 (runner-up Tier I National Championship) team split up. The myth is that you are competing against the best players from Michigan or Detroit. The reality is that for Bantams and Midget these teams are the best players from Michigan plus exceptional kids that are joining these teams from other areas.

A story about the reasoning behind HPC was told to me this way. USA Hockey officials were watching a final of Tier I, probably either Bantam or Midget. The team from Detroit had three kids from Texas and the team from Dallas had three kids from Detroit. It was clear as a bell that youth hockey needed to be improved (if you are an optimist) or fixed (if you acknowledged the obvious flaws). Stuck on the planning board, the HPCs are going to require geographic sensibility since the practice to game ratio means far fewer games.

Last anecdotal story is the guy at one of my coaching certification classes. His son had played for the St. Louis Jr. Blues (where they lived) and then the Wisconsin Fire. What!?

Some posters look up to Tier I like it is the holy grail of youth hockey. My opinion is that it is a cesspool because adults involved with the better teams have demanded a wholly distorted emphasis on winning. For the masses in the middle or below, "AAA" hockey is really just "AA that can pay". Why get on a team just to be fodder for the strongest programs? Hockey is a sport where you can develop individually even if you aren't surrounded by the next Paul Coffey.

I'm certainly no expert on Tier I, so I can't get you the hard numbers on roster composition. Hopefully these comments help.[/quote]

top ten post

O-townClown
Posts: 4044
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Oh, forgot to mention.

A longtime NHL player's kid shows on a Chicago roster for his first-year of PW next Fall. "Pee Wee Minor" in AAA-speak. The family lives in the greater Tampa Bay area and his son played on the Tampa 2000 last year.

Yes, you read that right. He's moving for youth hockey at age 10/11. His father is still listed as coach for the Tampa Bay Alliance Tier I 2000 team, so it doesn't appear the family is moving. I guess a host family is involved? Possibly a family friend? Whatever. The point is that a strong Chicago-area team is getting stronger by adding a player from 1,200 miles away.
Be kind. Rewind.

old goalie85
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks O-town.

Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:55 am

O-Town--

You're wrong about Detroit and Squirt Tier 1. Little Cesaar's was the best team around this past winter at that age level. As far as team's rosters and the percentage of local kids that play, Mission and Bauer Selects are more than half out of town kids at certain levels. Watched the Mission play this winter and the number of out of town helmet decals was at least two-thirds of the roster. As far as the Selects go this spring/summer, have seen them play a few times this year and they have the Jr Lightning kid, another from Dallas, a couple from the Philadelphia Jr. Flyers, a few more from Little Ceasar's, one from the Barons and a couple from the Mission to round it out. While reading the posts on this topic, I keep coming back to the same question: why do people care so much what other people do with their time and money? If a family wants to fly their kid from Tampa to Chicago to Toronto to Minneapolis to play hockey, so what. If they have the means and the kid has the ability, knock yourself out.

O-townClown
Posts: 4044
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:26 am

Deep Breath wrote:O-Town-- You're wrong about Detroit and Squirt Tier 1. Little Cesaar's was the best team around this past winter at that age level.
Deep, agreed. I think you are taking one part of my comment and dissecting it too much. In general, the Detroit-based Squirt teams are mainly Detroit kids, no?

When kids move to the area expressly for hockey as Bantams and Midgets they have to be displacing someone from the roster, right? Grimaldi, Carpenter, Conway, and so on. Do they displace another import, or is it a kid that is actually from Detroit?

I have the impression the roster composition becomes less and less local as the kids age. Is this wrong?

Looking at the rankings:

2001

1. Little Caesars North
4. Honeybaked
8. Belle Tire
16. Little Caesars South
20. Compuware
28. Victory Honda

2000

1. Little Caesars
4. Honeybaked
14. Compuware
23. Victory Honda
35. Belle Tire

1999

1. Little Caesars
7. Compuware
9. Honeybaked
20. Belle Tire
40. Victory Honda

1998

2. Little Caesars
4. Honeybaked
6. Compuware
20. Victory Honda
22. Belle Tire

1997

1. Compuware
4. Little Caesars
5. Honeybaked
6. Belle Tire
45. Victory Honda

1996

1. Belle Tire
7. Little Caesars
11. Honeybaked
20. Victory Honda
30. Compuware

U16

3. Honeybaked
5. Little Caesars
16. Belle Tire
18. Compuware
33. Victory Honda

U18

6. Honeybaked
8. Compuware
9. Belle Tire
10. Victory Honda
29. Little Caesars

There seems to be one laggard per birth year. Throw that our and the top four for the older teams are relatively stronger than they start out when Squirts. Four in the Top 10 for U18 and 1997s! I don't think we'll ever see that for Squirts.
Be kind. Rewind.

jackstraw
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 12:58 pm

helmets?

Post by jackstraw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:28 am

You mean the Mission don't all have the same helmets?!?!?!?

JSR
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 am

Deep Breath wrote:O-Town--

You're wrong about Detroit and Squirt Tier 1. Little Cesaar's was the best team around this past winter at that age level. As far as team's rosters and the percentage of local kids that play, Mission and Bauer Selects are more than half out of town kids at certain levels. Watched the Mission play this winter and the number of out of town helmet decals was at least two-thirds of the roster. As far as the Selects go this spring/summer, have seen them play a few times this year and they have the Jr Lightning kid, another from Dallas, a couple from the Philadelphia Jr. Flyers, a few more from Little Ceasar's, one from the Barons and a couple from the Mission to round it out. While reading the posts on this topic, I keep coming back to the same question: why do people care so much what other people do with their time and money? If a family wants to fly their kid from Tampa to Chicago to Toronto to Minneapolis to play hockey, so what. If they have the means and the kid has the ability, knock yourself out.
I always thought the Mission were a true Tier 1 winter team whereas the Bauer Selects are just a spring/summer team? And if I am correct then using the Bauer Selects is completely irrelevant to the topic as we are only talking in season winter Tier 1 teams. Spring/Summer teams are a completely different thing. As for the mission, up to the Bantam age level they are predominantly Illinois kids, maybe a handful are out of state (and the majority of those are usually from nearby southern WI, though not always) but the majority are in state kids at those age groups. Again, Bantam major, MM and mm are a little different and tend to have more out of state kids.

Post Reply