Residency rule

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyover40

Residency rule

Post by hockeyover40 »

Has there been any changes to the residency rule from last year? If I remember right, you register where you live, and you can apply for a waver to play where you go to school. And associations are obligated to grant wavers.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Haven't heard of any changes regarding that rule.

Several talked about it, but only heard of one guy open enrolling his kid and asking for the waiver.

Someone should ask Q if he and the others who don't like their associations are willing to drive 30+ miles several times a week for club hockey, why not find some acceptable association and and open enroll your kids at one of the schools there? I mean at least until the club hockey gets here.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

HockeyDad41 wrote:Haven't heard of any changes regarding that rule.

Several talked about it, but only heard of one guy open enrolling his kid and asking for the waiver.

Someone should ask Q if he and the others who don't like their associations are willing to drive 30+ miles several times a week for club hockey, why not find some acceptable association and and open enroll your kids at one of the schools there? I mean at least until the club hockey gets here.
As far as I know there are a number of associations serving more than 1 high school. If that's the case where you are. You have a choice. If not, you don't have a choice. The waiver is not an issue. It's pretty clear. Play where you live..or.. play where you go to school.

Club hockey is an entirely different issue being discussed elsewhere. If you have questions ask the development director at your association. He or she will be glad to help you out.

Oh, for what it's worth, Quasar does not have an association. He lives in Wisconsin. He just posts on this forum because he has been involved with Minnesota hockey for years, and he is still interested.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Quasar wrote:

As far as I know there are a number of associations serving more than 1 high school. If that's the case where you are. You have a choice. If not, you don't have a choice. The waiver is not an issue. It's pretty clear. Play where you live..or.. play where you go to school.

Club hockey is an entirely different issue being discussed elsewhere. If you have questions ask the development director at your association. He or she will be glad to help you out.

Oh, for what it's worth, Quasar does not have an association. He lives in Wisconsin. He just posts on this forum because he has been involved with Minnesota hockey for years, and he is still interested.
What does the high school have to do with any of this?
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

HockeyDad41 wrote:
Quasar wrote:

Associations feed high schools. Middle schools have more than one association with students in the middle school. The parent can state that his kid is going to go to high school X Therefore his kid can play for association X rather than association A

Like I said talk to your development director if you think you're in this situation. Just ask your kid if he goes to school with kids that play in a different association. If he says yes, you may have a choice which association of the two he plays for.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Quasar wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:
Quasar wrote: As far as I know there are a number of associations serving more than 1 high school. If that's the case where you are. You have a choice. If not, you don't have a choice. The waiver is not an issue. It's pretty clear. Play where you live..or.. play where you go to school.

Associations feed high schools. Middle schools have more than one association with students in the middle school. The parent can state that his kid is going to go to high school X Therefore his kid can play for association X rather than association A

Like I said talk to your development director if you think you're in this situation. Just ask your kid if he goes to school with kids that play in a different association. If he says yes, you may have a choice which association of the two he plays for.
Does the physical location of the school come into play? If a school falls within the boundaries of an association, does that not give the attending student the option of playing for that association?

If I live in Forest Lake and want my kid to play for the Edina youth hockey association as a first year squirt, can't I just find an elementary school located down there and open enroll my kid?
trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline »

If our public school district is in a different city then where we live, can we choose to play for the city name association where our home is?
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

trippedovertheblueline wrote:If our public school district is in a different city then where we live, can we choose to play for the city name association where our home is?
Your association is based on boundary lines determined by Minnesota hockey. If you live Metroville, but your association is in Dover, and you go to school in Dover, You play in Dover.

Understand, this is just what I think. It is not official, but I'm pretty sure it is correct
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

HockeyDad41 wrote:
Quasar wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote: What does the high school have to do with any of this?

Does the physical location of the school come into play? If a school falls within the boundaries of an association, does that not give the attending student the option of playing for that association?

If I live in Forest Lake and want my kid to play for the Edina youth hockey association as a first year squirt, can't I just find an elementary school located down there and open enroll my kid?
NO !!
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

Quasar wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:
Quasar wrote: Associations feed high schools. Middle schools have more than one association with students in the middle school. The parent can state that his kid is going to go to high school X Therefore his kid can play for association X rather than association A

NO !!
If you live in one association, and attend school in another, you can get an automatic waiver regardless of where that school is. If you live in Forest Lake, and go to school in Edina, you can play hockey in Edina.
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

SECoach wrote:If you live in one association, and attend school in another, you can get an automatic waiver regardless of where that school is. If you live in Forest Lake, and go to school in Edina, you can play hockey in Edina.
I stand corrected !!
jpiehl

Post by jpiehl »

You can play either where you live, or where you go to school. You register with the association where you live, and if you would rather play where you go to school you get an automatic waiver to play in that association instead. Or at least that is what the rule was for the 2010-2011 season.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... s_rev1.pdf
A. RESIDENCY POLICY MH is a community-based amateur hockey program. Members in good standing are to participate on teams from their local association (local affiliate) based on the residence of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s). The boundaries of the geographical area served by each local association are determined by MH and recorded in the Affiliate Agreements. In some circumstances, players may participate in another association by requesting a formal waiver from this policy. B. RESIDENCY RULE 1. Youth Hockey players must register and participate with the association whose boundaries incorporate the player’s residence. If a player desires to participate on a team from any other association, the player must obtain a waiver. a. All waiver requests must be submitted on a current Waiver Form provided by MH. b. The Waiver Form must indicate the reason for the waiver request. (school attendance, opportunity to play on travel team, co-op team, etc.). c. Any conditions that apply to a waiver must be indicated on the Waiver Form and initialed by all parties executing the waiver. d. Waiver Forms must be signed by the releasing and receiving association presidents before being submitted to the District Director for approval. If the releasing and receiving associations are in two districts, the waiver form must be submitted to both District Directors for approval. 2. Definitions Association of Residence – the association whose boundaries incorporate the player's residence. Association of School Attendance – the association whose boundaries incorporate the location of the school the player attends. Home Association – either the Association of Residence, or the Association of School Attendance to which a player has been properly waived. 3. A waiver shall be granted to any player who wishes to participate in the MH association whose boundaries incorporate the school in which the player is enrolled and is attending. For schools with multiple campuses, the "main" campus shall prevail unless agreed otherwise by the affected District Director(s). Players waived based on school choice shall be deemed to be members of their Association of School Attendance and shall have full rights and privileges accorded to all members of that association, including voting rights. (Exception – see "Changing Schools" below.) Players receiving a waiver based on school attendance shall register with their Association of School Attendance for as long as they are qualified students of that school (including the first year). 4. Players waived for non-school attendance reasons shall be subject to the receiving association's policies in accordance with MH governing documents (e.g. may not be eligible for "A" team, may be assigned to lowest available team, etc.). They shall remain members of their Home Association, not the association they were waived into, with full rights and privileges accorded to all members of their Home Association, including voting rights. 5. Changing Schools a. Players whose Home Association has been based on residence: Players who newly enroll in a school outside of the boundaries of their Association of Residence without a corresponding change of residence, shall elect one of the following: 1. Retain full eligibility to compete at any classification in their Association of Residence; or 2. Be eligible at the "B" classification or lower in their new Association of School Attendance for one (1) year beginning with the first day of attendance in the new school (a waiver is required). b. Players whose Home Association has been based on school attendance: Players who newly enroll in a school outside of the boundaries of their Association of School Attendance without a corresponding change of residence, shall elect one of the following: 1. Have full eligibility to compete at any classification in their Association of Residence; or 2. Have full eligibility to compete at any classification in their new Association of School Attendance if they completed the grades of school offered at their former Association of School Attendance; or 3. Be eligible at the "B" classification or lower in their new Association of School Attendance for one (1) year beginning with the first day of attendance in the new school if they did not complete the grades of school offered at their former Association of School Attendance. c. Submit unusual circumstances to the District Director for determination. The Director's decision is final. 6. A player that participates without a necessary waiver is considered an ineligible player. Refer to the Section entitled Eligibility Provisions. A waiver must be obtained before a player can participate outside of their Home Association. During a season, a player that registers or participates with one association cannot participate with any other association without a waiver (applies to players with dual residency).
7. A player denied a waiver by his/her Home Association may appeal in writing to the District Director having jurisdiction over the Home Association, who after investigation will issue a ruling. The decision of the District Director is final. Also see Section entitled Eligibility Provisions. 8. Players having dual citizenship, one being the United States, must also conform to the residency rule.
trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline »

situation

so i live in eagan, but our public school is burnsville..... we can't play for eagan hockey association? Sounds like both school and city should be applied not just school. Not that there is anything wrong with b'ville
observer

Post by observer »

You register and play where you live. If you'd like your child to play where they attend school you can waive to the association where they attend school. Normally, this wouldn't occur until bantam seasons, which are usually 8th and 9th grade, maybe PeeWee, but is usually done to have your child play hockey in the community where they will likely attend high school. A lot of families wait until 9th grade, second bantam season, when their child is starting high school in most communities.
scoreandscoreoften

Post by scoreandscoreoften »

Is the residency rule still in effect, or has there been a change?
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

"...but is usually done to have your child play hockey in the community where they will likely attend high school..."

Which is funny how the proponents sold it as needed at the younger levels so Johnny can play with his classmates or else might quit hockey in 2nd grade.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

2008-09 was the last year the “residency” rule was in effect. As we all know, this meant your child had to play were you lived. If you wanted to play elsewhere, you needed a waiver signed EVERY year. In most cases your child would never be eligible to play higher than the B-level.

Starting in 2009-10, the rule was completely changed. Your “home association” was that of where you attended school. Since most kids live and play where they go to school, this was not an issue. However, it now made it legal for open-enrolled kids to play at the A-level since a waiver was not longer required (it was now their home association). For kids that played for their association of residence, but went school elsewhere, a one-time waiver was required to stay with your association of residence.

In 2010-11, the rule changed again, and continues to be as such: A child now can play for EITHER their association of residence OR association of school attendance. The default “home association” reverted back to residency. Thus, a one-time waiver is required to make your association of school attendance your “home association”. This is not stated in the rule language, but it is the process. The waiver is signed by both association Presidents (residence and school attendance). If you’re crossing districts, then both District Directors need to sign too. Contact any of the District Directors, and they will tell you the same.

However, there are still some associations that don’t understand this rule. If you’re denied a waiver by your association of residence to your association of school attendance, contact your District Director and MN Hockey immediately.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

There was a proposal from the rules committee to clean up language in the residency part of the participation rule. Was to be voted on at the June summer meeting,do not know if passed or passed with changes or was tabled. Waiting for the meeting minutes to be posted. The new handbook should be posted on the Mn Hockey web site in a few weeks I hope.
The Enlightened One

Post by The Enlightened One »

Is that waiver a one time deal? Can you live in Forest Lake and send your kid to school this year in Edina and waive him into Edina and then when you realize that your options are better in Eagan waive him into Eagan next year? I heard that it is pretty much make your move and live with it.