Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

scrapiron
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Post by scrapiron » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Wisconsin Fire Shut Down.

Gordy Loftquist of the Wisconsin Fire (father of former Gopher Sam Losftquist) Informed the coaches of the Wisconsin Fire that the program was being shut down due to loss of sanctioning.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4037
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:52 pm

And Walser is coming in to sponsor a lesser team now at the Made?

old goalie85
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Maybe Medtronic, or 3M @ the Super rink????

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:10 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Maybe Medtronic, or 3M @ the Super rink????
All he has to do is change Wisconsin to Walser and make a few copy changes on the web site, Viola ... The Walser Fire ....

Of course this is the fringe talking !

O-townClown
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Post by O-townClown » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 pm

scrapiron wrote:Wisconsin Fire Shut Down.

Gordy Loftquist of the Wisconsin Fire (father of former Gopher Sam Losftquist) Informed the coaches of the Wisconsin Fire that the program was being shut down due to loss of sanctioning.
Mr. Gadaski, is this for real? Plans noted on their site were to expand by adding the 98s. There also is a position paper that touts their accomplishments and references inclusion in the new High Performance League.
Be kind. Rewind.

silentbutdeadly3139
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Re: Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:39 pm

O-townClown wrote:
scrapiron wrote:Wisconsin Fire Shut Down.

Gordy Loftquist of the Wisconsin Fire (father of former Gopher Sam Losftquist) Informed the coaches of the Wisconsin Fire that the program was being shut down due to loss of sanctioning.
Mr. Gadaski, is this for real? Plans noted on their site were to expand by adding the 98s. There also is a position paper that touts their accomplishments and references inclusion in the new High Performance League.
Went to the site and saw Zach Sikich coach of the 98 Blades is listed as coach of 98 Fire, right next to Bernie McBain of MM. Looked very strange.

Yakunin
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:56 pm

Post by Yakunin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Confirmed tonight that the Wisconsin Fire Organization has pulled the plug on all there teams. This will send alot of players scrambling for homes for next years winter season.

hockeyoldtimer
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:37 am

This news of the Fire finally being shut down must have Minnesota Hockey and all the associations jumping for joy! They finally got what they wanted the demise of AAA hockey choice for Mn kids in the winter. Now all the kids
from small associations who had no choice but to play on their parent coached local teams will be stuck there.
A majority of the Fire kids have always come back to form the backbone of Minnesota High school teams. Both private and public sectors. Pushing "Johnny back to play with his friends" will hurt everyone in the long run.
The Wisconsin Fire provided a place for these kids to grow and develop and even be competitive with the big associations.
I am sure everyone is raising a beer in celebration for the demise of the Fire
and the victory for Mn hockey. I for one, am sad the choice and level of play
will be taken away from our kids.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4037
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 am

hockeyoldtimer wrote:This news of the Fire finally being shut down must have Minnesota Hockey and all the associations jumping for joy! They finally got what they wanted the demise of AAA hockey choice for Mn kids in the winter. Now all the kids
from small associations who had no choice but to play on their parent coached local teams will be stuck there.
A majority of the Fire kids have always come back to form the backbone of Minnesota High school teams. Both private and public sectors. Pushing "Johnny back to play with his friends" will hurt everyone in the long run.
The Wisconsin Fire provided a place for these kids to grow and develop and even be competitive with the big associations.
I am sure everyone is raising a beer in celebration for the demise of the Fire
and the victory for Mn hockey. I for one, am sad the choice and level of play
will be taken away from our kids.
The Royals Dad's, Benito Juarez's and Juicemans are just afraid that a Fire type program might develop kids faster than their own mega association. They don't want anyone to have anything better, but in all reality it's was just a place to equal the playing field.

These same guys are the one's that think by holding others back that they'll have a better chance of getting their kid to the top. Again, in all reality, we're just holding MN Hockey back........ Could you imagine if we gave all Mn kids great opportunities?

Who thinks these three guys are from the Mora's, Becker's, Sleepy Eye's??
Their tunes would change in an instant...... :idea:

Benito Juarez
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:26 am

Post by Benito Juarez » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 am

Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4037
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:18 am

Benito Juarez wrote:Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:
Against better options until they come to your area.......... I get it :wink:

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:20 am

Benito Juarez wrote:Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:
I for one would love to see a tier 1 all star team from 16. Benito, let me ask this question. Do you think District 16 could field an all star team that would competitive state wide?

Being a product of the Metro, I don't know. I hope.. But I don't know
I would like to hear your take on this.. Q

Benito Juarez
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:26 am

Post by Benito Juarez » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 am

Quasar wrote:
Benito Juarez wrote:Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:
I for one would love to see a tier 1 all star team from 16. Benito, let me ask this question. Do you think District 16 could field an all star team that would competitive state wide?

Being a product of the Metro, I don't know. I hope.. But I don't know
I would like to hear your take on this.. Q
Sure they could be competitive talent wise. But realistically if a team was scattered across the entire district, it would be nearly impossible to have the proper amount of practice time to be an effective team.

Unless my powerball #'s hit.

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 am

Benito Juarez wrote:
Quasar wrote:
Benito Juarez wrote:Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:
I for one would love to see a tier 1 all star team from 16. Benito, let me ask this question. Do you think District 16 could field an all star team that would competitive state wide?

Being a product of the Metro, I don't know. I hope.. But I don't know
I would like to hear your take on this.. Q
Sure they could be competitive talent wise. But realistically if a team was scattered across the entire district, it would be nearly impossible to have the proper amount of practice time to be an effective team.

Unless my powerball #'s hit.
What if the District lines were changed?

I'm with you on the Power Ball solution :D

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Re: Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Post by Quasar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:51 am

hockeyoldtimer wrote:This news of the Fire finally being shut down must have Minnesota Hockey and all the associations jumping for joy! They finally got what they wanted the demise of AAA hockey choice for Mn kids in the winter. Now all the kids
from small associations who had no choice but to play on their parent coached local teams will be stuck there.
A majority of the Fire kids have always come back to form the backbone of Minnesota High school teams. Both private and public sectors. Pushing "Johnny back to play with his friends" will hurt everyone in the long run.
The Wisconsin Fire provided a place for these kids to grow and develop and even be competitive with the big associations.
I am sure everyone is raising a beer in celebration for the demise of the Fire
and the victory for Mn hockey. I for one, am sad the choice and level of play
will be taken away from our kids.
While I whole heartily agree with sentiments of your post, I'm thinking there may be another reason. Now that Minnesota Made can operate in the State of Minnesota, the Fire may no longer be needed. I think it is being replaced by the Walser team that will be forming next spring. What do you think about that possibility?

hockeyoldtimer
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:32 am

Quasar,
I think the Walser team is a true possibility for next summer and maybe the following winter, from what I've heard but not a definite yet.
I feel for the approximately 100 kids who worked hard, went to the Fire tryouts and made the teams and now have to look for other options. I know kids from all over the state who made teams and will now be looking for a team. Too bad Walser can't take these kids this winter and make new AAA teams for the 97-2001 levels. Won't happen this soon as too many obstacles from MN hockey.

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Re: Wisconsin Fire Shut Down

Post by Quasar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:02 pm

hockeyoldtimer wrote:Quasar,
I think the Walser team is a true possibility for next summer and maybe the following winter, from what I've heard but not a definite yet.
I feel for the approximately 100 kids who worked hard, went to the Fire tryouts and made the teams and now have to look for other options. I know kids from all over the state who made teams and will now be looking for a team. Too bad Walser can't take these kids this winter and make new AAA teams for the 97-2001 levels. Won't happen this soon as too many obstacles from MN hockey.
Yeah, I agree .. Maybe some one will pop up this fall.. If not Walser, then someone else. Otherwise, there are a group of good kids that will be paying the price for wanting something more.

spin-o-rama
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Post by spin-o-rama » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Quasar wrote:
Benito Juarez wrote:Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:
I for one would love to see a tier 1 all star team from 16. Benito, let me ask this question. Do you think District 16 could field an all star team that would competitive state wide?

Being a product of the Metro, I don't know. I hope.. But I don't know
I would like to hear your take on this.. Q
FYI, there aren't 16 districts.

Quasar
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Quasar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:17 pm

spin-o-rama wrote:
Quasar wrote:
Benito Juarez wrote:Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:
I for one would love to see a tier 1 all star team from 16. Benito, let me ask this question. Do you think District 16 could field an all star team that would competitive state wide?

Being a product of the Metro, I don't know. I hope.. But I don't know
I would like to hear your take on this.. Q
FYI, there aren't 16 districts.
Hey Benito,

Guess you'll have to stop playing up there seeing as you don't exist
:roll:

Benito Juarez
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:26 am

Post by Benito Juarez » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Quasar wrote:
spin-o-rama wrote:
Quasar wrote:
Benito Juarez wrote:Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:
I for one would love to see a tier 1 all star team from 16. Benito, let me ask this question. Do you think District 16 could field an all star team that would competitive state wide?

Being a product of the Metro, I don't know. I hope.. But I don't know
I would like to hear your take on this.. Q
FYI, there aren't 16 districts.
Hey Benito,

Guess you'll have to stop playing up there seeing as you don't exist
:roll:
Must be a trick answer.

Image

:lol:

spin-o-rama
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Post by spin-o-rama » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 pm

spin-o-rama wrote:
Quasar wrote:
Benito Juarez wrote:Mr.BoJangles:

Not from a Mega association. I reside in a very small and isolated area of the State.
If you/they start a Tier 1 team in District 16, I'll listen.

:wink:
I for one would love to see a tier 1 all star team from 16. Benito, let me ask this question. Do you think District 16 could field an all star team that would competitive state wide?

Being a product of the Metro, I don't know. I hope.. But I don't know
I would like to hear your take on this.. Q
FYI, there aren't 16 districts.
Sorry, I placed the bolded "all" right before 16. I'm off to the optometrist.
:oops:

D3Dude
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Post by D3Dude » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Sorry to see the program go - it's been a great alternative option.

O-townClown
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Since there's such tremendous demand for an alternative to community-based hockey, what's to stop others from forming Independent teams registered in Hudson, Somerset, Superior, La Crosse?

Is it that there aren't enough Wisconsinites that want to be the 25% (or whatever) required for Wisconsin to recognize the team? It would seem like WAHA-Unclassified would be a workable solution for all the disenchanted.
Be kind. Rewind.

Task Force 34
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

Post by Task Force 34 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:11 pm

WAHA killed the unclassified status classification. That is the reason the Fire had to fold. USA Hockey always recognized the Fire as Tier 1 (and so did the rest of the USA and Canada).

WAHA created the unclassified status to allow the teams to register in WI but not be allowed to qualify for the State and National USA Tournaments, yhus protecting the other Tier 1 teams in WI.

The fallout of this decision is that the Somerset rink will likely be in jeopardy as the Fire was a significant tenant who purchased ice from the arena which serviced the debt on the rink.

It's a shame, not just for the Fire players, but for the community in general.

O-townClown
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Task Force 34 wrote:WAHA killed the unclassified status classification. That is the reason the Fire had to fold. USA Hockey always recognized the Fire as Tier 1 (and so did the rest of the USA and Canada).

WAHA created the unclassified status to allow the teams to register in WI but not be allowed to qualify for the State and National USA Tournaments, yhus protecting the other Tier 1 teams in WI.

The fallout of this decision is that the Somerset rink will likely be in jeopardy as the Fire was a significant tenant who purchased ice from the arena which serviced the debt on the rink.

It's a shame, not just for the Fire players, but for the community in general.
Thanks. Saying USA Hockey recognized Fire as Tier I is confusing to me. If you can't play in Nationals... Were they coded Tier I on the official roster, and their qualifying path was blocked by the WAHA affiliate? Interesting.

We see the same thing here in that "have not" rinks often agree to host teams that target players from the "haves". If Somerset has been unable to build a youth hockey program to support its rink, why should they get players from other areas? Just a rhetorical question. There's no easy solution.

We have a rink that is always struggling. Finally I realized maybe we need it to go away and then we don't have to worry so much about protecting them. Similarly, a youth program has languished and asked for one concession after another. This year they did away with it and directed the kids to get on other teams. While I want to see hockey grow and thrive, at some point it is just too hard for some places.
Be kind. Rewind.

Post Reply