TOP 10 MINNESOTA SQUIRT "A" TEAMS

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:seriously, you clowns get this worked up about squirt hockey?
The stronger A Squirt teams will become the stronger A Bantam teams nine times out of ten......Bantams will be here for them in a blink of an eye. I find it very interesting.

They keep score, have tournament champions, and even have district titles. It's quite possible to clap your hands at some of these events.

Most of these A Squirt parents spend five thousand plus a year for all that comes along with Hockey... They better get worked up about something!

Now go shoot some venison for winter and make sure the kerosene is stored safely. :roll:

Were you the clown jumping with pom-poms last year when Grand Rapids took third at Fargo? :lol:
AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle »

MrBoDangles wrote: The stronger A Squirt teams will become the stronger A Bantam teams nine times out of ten......
...Furthermore strong bantam A teams typically represent a strong Varsity squad a couple years later....

I believe I read that the Kyle Rau EP squad won the Fargo tournament when they were squirts. So maybe it's ok to be excited about squirt hockey. And even if they don't pan out to be varsity all stars, it's STILL ok to be excited about squirt hockey as hockey is an exciting game.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

AlterEagle wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: The stronger A Squirt teams will become the stronger A Bantam teams nine times out of ten......
...Furthermore strong bantam A teams typically represent a strong Varsity squad a couple years later....

I believe I read that the Kyle Rau EP squad won the Fargo tournament when they were squirts. So maybe it's ok to be excited about squirt hockey. And even if they don't pan out to be varsity all stars, it's STILL ok to be excited about squirt hockey as hockey is an exciting game.
beyond that, they're our friggin' kids ... remember how excited you were when your kid took their first dump in the big potty?!
OH MY GAWD ... A MIRACAHHHL!!
Yeah, everyone has every right to celebrate their kids ... regardless of what the haters (myself included) may say.
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

sooooo, any more scores???
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
itsuptoyou

Andover A vs Blaine A SQUIRT scrimmage

Post by itsuptoyou »

Heard they will scrimmage-

Both have 'orange' and 'blade' blood??

Who will win?
forreal

Post by forreal »

MnMade-4-Life wrote:sooooo, any more scores???
Dunno, any more Andover updates. Arent they missing one of their best players too:)
emptynet

Post by emptynet »

MrBoDangles wrote:
BlackTape wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: How many kids does Elk River bring back from last years A team? They only had one B-1 team and it wasn't the strongest..

What's the secret over at STMA? They only have three or four Squirt teams every year and they're able to compete with the best.....?
You crack me up Mr Bo. 1/2 the team is back and two move-ins from other association that were A Squirts.

Did you guys get your rink yet?
Where did the two new move-ins come from?
1. Edina
2. Elk River
3. Andover
4. Minnetonka
5. Wayzata
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Stillwater
9. Grand Rapids
10. STMA
hockeydad0930

Post by hockeydad0930 »

Based on OG's score that Forest lake beat Centennial 7-1, I wouldn't leave them in the Top 10. Squirt hockey is always full of surprises...pretty hard to list a Top 10 with nothing to base it off.

Edina is obviously gonna be there but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of teams all bunched up behind them this year as top teams. Getting 10 and 11 year olds to show up consistently isn't the easiest thing to do.

Looking forward to Thanksgiving weekend when we can see some of these teams play a meaningful game and see how things start to shape up.
emptynet

Post by emptynet »

hockeydad0930 wrote:Based on OG's score that Forest lake beat Centennial 7-1, I wouldn't leave them in the Top 10. Squirt hockey is always full of surprises...pretty hard to list a Top 10 with nothing to base it off.

Edina is obviously gonna be there but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of teams all bunched up behind them this year as top teams. Getting 10 and 11 year olds to show up consistently isn't the easiest thing to do.

Looking forward to Thanksgiving weekend when we can see some of these teams play a meaningful game and see how things start to shape up.
Getting 10 and 11 year olds to show up consistently isn't the easiest thing to do.
The 2000 machine don't seem to have an issue with this. I know I'm comparing apples.
hockeydad0930

Post by hockeydad0930 »

emptynet wrote:
hockeydad0930 wrote:Based on OG's score that Forest lake beat Centennial 7-1, I wouldn't leave them in the Top 10. Squirt hockey is always full of surprises...pretty hard to list a Top 10 with nothing to base it off.

Getting 10 and 11 year olds to show up consistently isn't the easiest thing to do.
The 2000 machine don't seem to have an issue with this. I know I'm comparing apples.
Comparing apples, maybe. But also comparing kids who are almost all Peewees now. Very few kids from the 2000 Machine team are Squirts anymore.

All I was trying to say is that things are so shaken up through the year, that while the teams you had listed are all very good, other than Edina and maybe a couple others, most of those teams are probably no better on any given day than a lot of other teams.

We've got 4 Machine players (01 and 02) on our SQA team (and no my son is not one), but that doesn't mean we are always going to show up and play our best each and every day. It's Squirt hockey and anything can and will happen. That's what keeps it interesting. Looking forward to a fun year.
MrBoDangles

Re: Andover A vs Blaine A SQUIRT scrimmage

Post by MrBoDangles »

itsuptoyou wrote:Heard they will scrimmage-

Both have 'orange' and 'blade' blood??

Who will win?
How did it end up?
offside14

Post by offside14 »

There are actually 7 squirt eligible players from the 2000 machine team. More specifically if you take the 6 returners to the Edina team (5- 00 machine and 1 - 00 blades) plus another 00 machine kid that just moved there in all likleyhood you will have 6 - 00 machine kids and 1 - 00 blades kid to start their roster out. Going to be darn good. The 00 machine coach won't hurt that team either.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

offside14 wrote:There are actually 7 squirt eligible players from the 2000 machine team. More specifically if you take the 6 returners to the Edina team (5- 00 machine and 1 - 00 blades) plus another 00 machine kid that just moved there in all likleyhood you will have 6 - 00 machine kids and 1 - 00 blades kid to start their roster out. Going to be darn good. The 00 machine coach won't hurt that team either.
That 2000 orange team is watered down. Aren't there like 30 kids on it?
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

HockeyDad41 wrote:
offside14 wrote:There are actually 7 squirt eligible players from the 2000 machine team. More specifically if you take the 6 returners to the Edina team (5- 00 machine and 1 - 00 blades) plus another 00 machine kid that just moved there in all likleyhood you will have 6 - 00 machine kids and 1 - 00 blades kid to start their roster out. Going to be darn good. The 00 machine coach won't hurt that team either.
depends ... are we counting the kids shipped in from Slovakia???
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
Pucksahater

Post by Pucksahater »

I heard they are looking at a kid from the Congo :D :lol:
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Pucksahater wrote:I heard they are looking at a kid from the Congo :D :lol:
I just love your 1st grade humor, that was brilliant :?
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

[quote="HockeyDad41"][quote="offside14"]There are actually 7 squirt eligible players from the 2000 machine team. More specifically if you take the 6 returners to the Edina team (5- 00 machine and 1 - 00 blades) plus another 00 machine kid that just moved there in all likleyhood you will have 6 - 00 machine kids and 1 - 00 blades kid to start their roster out. Going to be darn good. The 00 machine coach won't hurt that team either.[/quote]

That 2000 orange team is watered down. Aren't there like 30 kids on it?[/quote]

Usually, when somebody refers to an athletic team/program as "watered down", it has a connotation of being less competitive than it could be. Not sure if that was your intent or not, but the 2000 Machine team with 20 players (according to the Caribou stats) probably is not what most would consider to be "watered down". Looking at the results from the past season's tournaments, they beat everybody and won everything, for what it's worth; both in-state and out. It's amazing how quickly these threads can jump off topic. When referring to being "watered down", perhaps a better analogy is when an Association fields two balanced "A" teams, even though it is clear they don't have 30 "A" players at that level. That will "water down" both "A" teams and make each less competitive.
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

What is the last DOB eligable to play squirt? 9/30/00?
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Deep Breath wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:

Usually, when somebody refers to an athletic team/program as "watered down", it has a connotation of being less competitive than it could be. Not sure if that was your intent or not, but the 2000 Machine team with 20 players (according to the Caribou stats) probably is not what most would consider to be "watered down". Looking at the results from the past season's tournaments, they beat everybody and won everything, for what it's worth; both in-state and out. It's amazing how quickly these threads can jump off topic. When referring to being "watered down", perhaps a better analogy is when an Association fields two balanced "A" teams, even though it is clear they don't have 30 "A" players at that level. That will "water down" both "A" teams and make each less competitive.
I just don't see how 6 kids off of that orange team is going to make any kind of difference.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
sourgrapes

Post by sourgrapes »

I just don't see how 6 kids off of that orange team is going to make any kind of difference.[/quote]

Really?...i see adding 6 top talented kids from one team would make a huge difference for any team!

Well how about this equation....six '00 Orange+one '00 blades+ two '01 blades+a couple of '00 Ice edge+couple stealth+couple of other top kids from othe teams=undefeated season.
observer

Post by observer »

Minnesota Youth Hockey uses a July 1 to June 30 cutoff. In your example it sounds like players with a birthday of July 1 and after are still Squirt while those with a birthday before July 1 have moved to PeeWee.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

mackjogger wrote:

07/01/00
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

HockeyDad41 wrote:
Deep Breath wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote: That 2000 orange team is watered down. Aren't there like 30 kids on it?

I just don't see how 6 kids off of that orange team is going to make any kind of difference.
Of those 6, how many played orange and how many played black? ... maybe there wasn't a black team for the 00's??? I don't really know... anyone?
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

I just don't see how 6 kids off of that orange team is going to make any kind of difference.[/quote]

You could be right, but that's what some were saying last year for that Edina Squirt team that ended up going 41-0 with 37 runners. A lot of people have issue with the Machine teams for various reasons, right or wrong. But that 2000 team was clearly the best team in the area at that level this year and now you take a third of it and put them on the same Association team, which means the associaiton team will be nearly half Machine kids since the winter roster is only 15 kids. Odds are good the team could run the table again this winter.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

Deep Breath wrote:You could be right, but that's what some were saying last year for that Edina Squirt team that ended up going 41-0 with 37 runners.
Everyone knows the girl from the Edina team last year was the reason for 41-0. And I don't think she was on the 00 machine.

:P