TOP 10 MINNESOTA SQUIRT "A" TEAMS

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Shortsidegoal

TOP 10 MINNESOTA SQUIRT "A" TEAMS

Post by Shortsidegoal »

quote)))
Last edited by Shortsidegoal on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

1 ) Edina
2 ) other
3 ) Valley Fair
4 ) Gotham City
5 ) Des Moines
6 ) Green Acres
7 ) other
8 ) Fargo
9 ) other
10) The Dells
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

MnMade-4-Life wrote:1 ) Edina
2 ) other
3 ) Valley Fair
4 ) Gotham City
5 ) Des Moines
6 ) Green Acres
7 ) other
8 ) Fargo
9 ) other
10) The Dells
Edina
Edina Squirt B1-1 Green
Edina Squirt B1-1 White
"other"
AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle »

Cdale wrote:
MnMade-4-Life wrote:1 ) Edina
2 ) other
3 ) Valley Fair
4 ) Gotham City
5 ) Des Moines
6 ) Green Acres
7 ) other
8 ) Fargo
9 ) other
10) The Dells
Edina
Edina Squirt B1-1 Green
Edina Squirt B1-1 White
"other"
...funny. But you forgot about Edina SB Gold and Black....
emptynet

Post by emptynet »

OK, I'll fall in to the trap......

1. Edina
2. Elk River
3. STMA
4. Minnetonka
5. Wayzata
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Stillwater
9. Fargo Flyers
10. Grand Rapids
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

emptynet wrote:OK, I'll fall in to the trap......

1. Edina
2. Elk River
3. STMA
4. Minnetonka
5. Wayzata
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Stillwater
9. Fargo Flyers
10. Grand Rapids
How many kids does Elk River bring back from last years A team? They only had one B-1 team and it wasn't the strongest..

What's the secret over at STMA? They only have three or four Squirt teams every year and they're able to compete with the best.....?
Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez »

MrBoDangles wrote:

1. Edina
2. Elk River
3. STMA
4. Minnetonka
5. Wayzata
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Stillwater
9. Fargo Flyers
10. Grand Rapids
How many kids does Elk River bring back from last years A team? They only had one B-1 team and it wasn't the strongest..

What's the secret over at STMA? They only have three or four Squirt teams every year and they're able to compete with the best.....?
The Secret is in the Orange Sauce.

:wink:
57special

Post by 57special »

Fargo isn't in MN, and if it was it wouldn't be in the top 10.
BlackTape

Post by BlackTape »

MrBoDangles wrote:

1. Edina
2. Elk River
3. STMA
4. Minnetonka
5. Wayzata
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Stillwater
9. Fargo Flyers
10. Grand Rapids

You crack me up Mr Bo. 1/2 the team is back and two move-ins from other association that were A Squirts.

Did you guys get your rink yet?
Hockey 4 Ever

Post by Hockey 4 Ever »

That last post didn't make any sense.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

BlackTape wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

1. Edina
2. Elk River
3. STMA
4. Minnetonka
5. Wayzata
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Stillwater
9. Fargo Flyers
10. Grand Rapids

You crack me up Mr Bo. 1/2 the team is back and two move-ins from other association that were A Squirts.

Did you guys get your rink yet?
That's great! I knew that they had a couple strong kids coming back, just didn't know how many. Might just be the best team out there...

We have two rinks
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Should we start a list for the TOP 10 Mite programs too?
CRMiteHockey

Post by CRMiteHockey »

Anyone have a rundown on the teams from district 10? Wondering if Coon Rapids will be competitive this year.
Hockey 4 Ever

Post by Hockey 4 Ever »

CRMiteHockey wrote:Anyone have a rundown on the teams from district 10? Wondering if Coon Rapids will be competitive this year.
I agree with MrBoDangles. What is STMA's secret? A lot of people have asked the same question. Anyone have an answer? Our association needs the same secret! What will their Squirt A's be like this year? The Edina's EP's, Elk River's, OMG and so on are obvious.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Benito Juarez wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

1. Edina
2. Elk River
3. STMA
4. Minnetonka
5. Wayzata
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Stillwater
9. Fargo Flyers
10. Grand Rapids

The Secret is in the Orange Sauce.

:wink:
Was there a Monopoly connection?
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I don't think there is any secret to what STMA has done over the last 5 or 6 years. They've gotten their kids on the ice off-season. It seems that you can pick 13 kids out of 50 that skated during the summer and compete with a program that picks 13 kids out of 120, 50 of whom skated during the summer. I know there will be a host of folks that will respond with "go fishin'", but I'll bet those STMA kids have a heck of a lot more fun during the winter than the kids they beat up from Hutchinson and Willmar, similar sized towns that don't work hard to find summer skating opportunities for their kids - and they both have two sheets of ice, to STMA's one sheet (though I heard a whisper from out west that Hutch may only put ice in one rink this winter, to save the city some money).
Irish

Post by Irish »

I like the fact that newer programs are successful. Good job STMA. =D>
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Forest Lake had a goalie move in from Chicago, 3 rd year squirt. [because of different B-days] We [FL] may make some noise. No my kid will be on th B's so save the BS.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

We also had a kid wave in from NB.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

InigoMontoya wrote:I don't think there is any secret to what STMA has done over the last 5 or 6 years. They've gotten their kids on the ice off-season. It seems that you can pick 13 kids out of 50 that skated during the summer and compete with a program that picks 13 kids out of 120, 50 of whom skated during the summer. I know there will be a host of folks that will respond with "go fishin'", but I'll bet those STMA kids have a heck of a lot more fun during the winter than the kids they beat up from Hutchinson and Willmar, similar sized towns that don't work hard to find summer skating opportunities for their kids - and they both have two sheets of ice, to STMA's one sheet (though I heard a whisper from out west that Hutch may only put ice in one rink this winter, to save the city some money).
This echoes a pet theory I've been developing for a while: Summer hockey may eclipse winter hockey in terms of development of players. Most AAA programs would be well above .500 in almost any district, and the invite teams would mostly dominate any association team. IMO the better kids with longer term goals may gravitate to summer hockey where their team mates are so much better. Maybe that's sacrilege to say it -- but maybe it's also Minnesota's answer to the Tier 1 model.

Not that MN kids will stop playing association hockey (that would be like only playing football in the spring!!!), but they may look at winter as the off-season when their association teams are so lackluster compared to their AAA teams.
My_Kid_Loves_Hockey

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey »

InigoMontoya wrote:I don't think there is any secret to what STMA has done over the last 5 or 6 years. They've gotten their kids on the ice off-season. It seems that you can pick 13 kids out of 50 that skated during the summer and compete with a program that picks 13 kids out of 120, 50 of whom skated during the summer. I know there will be a host of folks that will respond with "go fishin'", but I'll bet those STMA kids have a heck of a lot more fun during the winter than the kids they beat up from Hutchinson and Willmar, similar sized towns that don't work hard to find summer skating opportunities for their kids - and they both have two sheets of ice, to STMA's one sheet (though I heard a whisper from out west that Hutch may only put ice in one rink this winter, to save the city some money).
Most of the kids that have had success are also member of many other summer sports (Baseball program is probably even better in that at the state tourny the 10AAA-2nd to WBL, 11AAA -1st, 12AAA-2nd to B'ville, 13AA-3rd) along with playing for so many different summer hockey teams.

While we only have 1 sheet, we travel to Buffalo, Monticello,Rogers, Princton, St. cloud for practices.....get ice where you can.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

My_Kid_Loves_Hockey wrote:
Most of the kids that have had success are also member of many other summer sports (Baseball program is probably even better in that at the state tourny the 10AAA-2nd to WBL, 11AAA -1st, 12AAA-2nd to B'ville, 13AA-3rd) along with playing for so many different summer hockey teams.

While we only have 1 sheet, we travel to Buffalo, Monticello,Rogers, Princton, St. cloud for practices.....get ice where you can.
Strong in multiple sports indicate good athletes, along with dedicated parents and kids willing to spend time and money in development ( summer and winter ) and add in some good coaching and I believe that is the recipe for sucess ... just like always and anywhere. There is no short cut.
trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline »

Another thing to take into account is DEVELOPMENT..... The kind with hammer and nails. How big and young is the STMA association? Not knocking what their doing well, but it starts with numbers.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Not knocking what their doing well, but it starts with numbers.
I think a previous poster pointed out that for the last few years they have been beating programs that get nearly 3 times as many kids. More kids are certainly always better than less kids, but I think STMA and several others (e.g. Farmington is not that big, but they have worked with a group of kids and seen some success) are showing that you can build a successful program without a hundred kids at each age group.
My_Kid_Loves_Hockey

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey »

trippedovertheblueline wrote:Another thing to take into account is DEVELOPMENT..... The kind with hammer and nails. How big and young is the STMA association? Not knocking what their doing well, but it starts with numbers.
Not sure of the exact #'s this year but it should be around 35-40 Bantams, 55 or so PW and around 60+ Squirts (usually there are around 5 or so mite move ups) and no idea what we have in the initiation program as I have a Bantam and am out of that loop.
Our Girls program,North Wright County River Hawks will have 2 U10's, 2 U12's and 1 U14 (maybe 15+ skaters). The U14's are the defending State Champs.