Lost Players

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who is the #1 preseason Favorite in Bantam "A"

Edina
15%
East
11%
EP
4%
WBL
7%
Wayzata
4%
Elk River
30%
Burnsville
7%
Rochester
4%
Andover
7%
OMG
11%

Total votes: 27

Chuck Norris Fan

Lost Players

Post by Chuck Norris Fan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Ok, tryouts are either over or in full swing for most Bantam teams... at least in the metro area.

So who lost kids to HS or to other programs this year.

How will this change the balance of power from Pee Wee's to Bantams?
"I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top"

Hockey guy1486

Post by Hockey guy1486 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Burnsville lost 2 players, their returning goalie and a forward. Both trying out for Burnsville High School

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:16 am

I believe Edina lost two players trying out for high school teams. Have another first year who is injured and out until January.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:23 am

Just curious (and too lazy to look up rules): Do players who try out for HS lose their bantam eligibility for the year? If so, what do they do instead? I guess generally slot to JV if they were realistic in the first place about having any shot at all? Or do they go to junior gold?

It's been years since I dealt with this issue, just wondering.

DMom

Post by DMom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:10 am

Shinbone_News wrote:Just curious (and too lazy to look up rules): Do players who try out for HS lose their bantam eligibility for the year? If so, what do they do instead? I guess generally slot to JV if they were realistic in the first place about having any shot at all? Or do they go to junior gold?

It's been years since I dealt with this issue, just wondering.
Generally, they sign up and tryout as bantams, get assigned a team and give up their spot when picked up by the high school coach. If they don't do that than their options are JV and JG. I'd say if they didn't bother to tryout at Bantams they are feeling pretty secure with the high school.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:48 am

Some bantam teams will have 4-5 players tryout for high school teams. It's often stated, for the experience. They obviously want the coach to see them and get a sense where they might fit. Bantam practices the week of high school tryouts can be lightly attended in some associations. If they don't make the high school varsity team they return to their bantam A team.

JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:54 pm

observer wrote:Some bantam teams will have 4-5 players tryout for high school teams. It's often stated, for the experience. They obviously want the coach to see them and get a sense where they might fit. Bantam practices the week of high school tryouts can be lightly attended in some associations. If they don't make the high school varsity team they return to their bantam A team.
Observer...you are correct. Actually I think High School rules dictate that the week tryouts are occuring at High School, those bantam players that are involved in the high school tryouts are not allowed to skate with their bantam teams, even though they have been on the bantam team for possibly 6 weeks already. MSHL rules get very specific about not allowing "dual particpation".
"I find tinsel distracting"

the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:02 pm

JoltDelivered wrote:
observer wrote:Some bantam teams will have 4-5 players tryout for high school teams. It's often stated, for the experience. They obviously want the coach to see them and get a sense where they might fit. Bantam practices the week of high school tryouts can be lightly attended in some associations. If they don't make the high school varsity team they return to their bantam A team.
Observer...you are correct. Actually I think High School rules dictate that the week tryouts are occuring at High School, those bantam players that are involved in the high school tryouts are not allowed to skate with their bantam teams, even though they have been on the bantam team for possibly 6 weeks already. MSHL rules get very specific about not allowing "dual particpation".
Jolt is spot on--they can't practice, be in the locker, do dryland or go to team meetings. Once HS teams are selected--they can return to their bantam team--unless, of course they make the HS team

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:29 pm

If they make the high school team they must be removed from the youth roster. High school rules, Mn Hockey rules if the players participated with a high school team after 12/31 then they can not participate on a Mn Hockey sanctioned team.

Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Heard EP lost a kid to injury for season!

Edina is down some guys to Benilde!

Centennial lost a D to Shattuck

Wayzata lost pitlick to Shattuck

Rochester lost guys to HS

any more out there?
"I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top"

wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Jake wahlin is trying out for the WBL H.S team
2012 pond hockey All Star

inthenet

Post by inthenet » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Lakeville North will make some noise...

7 returning A players from last season...

Picked up 2 top kids from Lakeville South...

1 goal away from state last season...

thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:34 pm

inthenet wrote:Lakeville North will make some noise...

?????????? and i agree. It will be a good year.

Hockey guy1486

Post by Hockey guy1486 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:41 am

inthenet, don't you mean "1 game away from PLAYING to go to state"? This is according to the Bantam A South Region results from last year. I just want to confirm, thanks.

inthenet

Post by inthenet » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Hockey guy1486 wrote:inthenet, don't you mean "1 game away from PLAYING to go to state"? This is according to the Bantam A South Region results from last year. I just want to confirm, thanks.
No, they lost to Rochester in semi's by ONE goal in OT. Rochester than lost to Woodbury in finals, and both teams advanced to State...So it was 1 goal NOT 1 game...!!!

Hockey guy1486

Post by Hockey guy1486 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:18 am

Um.....no...the semis are on the WINNERS side of the brackets. They lost their 1st game, but did a great job coming all the way back, but then lost to Rochester. Roch then had to play Mankato to go to state. If they would have won that game against Roch they would have played Mankato. So again, not 1 goal away, they were 1 game away. Just pointing out a fact thats all. I am taking nothing away from them coming all the way back.

inthenet

Post by inthenet » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:44 am

Hockey guy1486 wrote:Um.....no...the semis are on the WINNERS side of the brackets. They lost their 1st game, but did a great job coming all the way back, but then lost to Rochester. Roch then had to play Mankato to go to state. If they would have won that game against Roch they would have played Mankato. So again, not 1 goal away, they were 1 game away. Just pointing out a fact thats all. I am taking nothing away from them coming all the way back.
HG1486 thanks for the correction...see you at the rink.

DMom

Post by DMom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 am

Which team was the younger Lindgren on?

Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 am

DMom wrote:

Which team was the younger Lindgren on?
Florida Everblades.

:wink: