How common is it?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dangle_snipe

How common is it?

Post by dangle_snipe »

How common is it for a program to field a B1 and B2 but no A team?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Doesn't happen in D16, but we only have 2 bantam teams from each assn and some have but 1 team.
observer

Post by observer »

How common is it for a program to field a B1 and B2 but no A team?
Extremely rare to none. The decision is likely up to the association which should know where each year's class of kids fit in their District competition but also state wide. B1 and C maybe.
dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe »

Interesting..... I was made aware of a peewee B team that was pretty dominate and later found out that they didnt have an A team but rather fielded a B1 and B2. I assumed it was rare because i have never heard of it.
jpiehl

Post by jpiehl »

It may be more common at squirts, I know a couple of years ago both St. Francis and Coon Rapids had a B1, B2, and C, and St. Francis has the same this year, too. Won't happen in District 5, though, because they have a rule that if you have more than one team at a level that you have to have an A team.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

jpiehl wrote:It may be more common at squirts, I know a couple of years ago both St. Francis and Coon Rapids had a B1, B2, and C, and St. Francis has the same this year, too. Won't happen in District 5, though, because they have a rule that if you have more than one team at a level that you have to have an A team.
No Bantam A...North St. Paul. My guess a few more out there.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

That D-5 rule should be state wide. Why would you have a B/B2/and a C team? Makes no sense.
auld_skool

Post by auld_skool »

In D6 it's very rare but not unheard of. It might happen a little more in girls hockey than boys.
GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch »

I know in the North St. Paul case they only had about 34 Bantams total this year, and lost a few sophmores to JV. They were about 5 - 40 - 5 last year at Bantam A, and didn't really know what to expect this year. They only one A team which is thier A peewee team. They aren't having any more sucess than last years A bantam team. Their numbers are low with a total of 36 peewees, all taking it on the chin.
dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe »

How would you feel if you were to go to a peewee B tournament and play a team that was A calliber but opted down to play B1?

Post by 2112 »

dangle_snipe wrote:How would you feel if you were to go to a peewee B tournament and play a team that was A calliber but opted down to play B1?
I would feel very sad, would need a kleenex box by me for every game. Because the game of hockey is all about feelings now isn`t it. :( :( :(
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I would guess that it has happened quite a few times over the years in D10. The reason is the wide range of program sizes. There are several associations that may have 20-30 kids at a level and if they go 'A' they will end up losing most of their games by 10 or more goals. Even going 'B1' they will struggle to make the D10 playoffs. But if they go to some smaller tournaments the 'B1' team may be out of place.

The new 'A' and 'AA' experiment this year in D10 at the bantam level appears to have worked out well so it may no longer be an issue if the rule is adopted statewide.
jpiehl

Post by jpiehl »

Cowboy wrote:I would guess that it has happened quite a few times over the years in D10. The reason is the wide range of program sizes. There are several associations that may have 20-30 kids at a level and if they go 'A' they will end up losing most of their games by 10 or more goals. Even going 'B1' they will struggle to make the D10 playoffs. But if they go to some smaller tournaments the 'B1' team may be out of place.

The new 'A' and 'AA' experiment this year in D10 at the bantam level appears to have worked out well so it may no longer be an issue if the rule is adopted statewide.
That may be the case sometimes, but two years ago when Coon Rapids and St. Francis both decided to not have a Squirt A, and instead ran B1, B2, and C, it ended up with Coon Rapids vs. St. Francis for the District 10 title, so they were both clearly not doing it because they felt they couldn't compete, they just wanted to have hardware teams. And St. Francis is doing it again this year, so it isn't like they had to do it to compete in D10 and ended up winning out of district games, both rolled over their D10 schedules, too.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

jpiehl wrote:
Cowboy wrote:I would guess that it has happened quite a few times over the years in D10. The reason is the wide range of program sizes. There are several associations that may have 20-30 kids at a level and if they go 'A' they will end up losing most of their games by 10 or more goals. Even going 'B1' they will struggle to make the D10 playoffs. But if they go to some smaller tournaments the 'B1' team may be out of place.

That may be the case sometimes, but two years ago when Coon Rapids and St. Francis both decided to not have a Squirt A, and instead ran B1, B2, and C, it ended up with Coon Rapids vs. St. Francis for the District 10 title, so they were both clearly not doing it because they felt they couldn't compete, they just wanted to have hardware teams. And St. Francis is doing it again this year, so it isn't like they had to do it to compete in D10 and ended up winning out of district games, both rolled over their D10 schedules, too.
Hardware teams at B1 SQ? really!? How is CR doing this year in PWA? they have 3 wins. It's pretty much the same team, minus 1 player, as it was 2 years ago at B1 SQ. They were hardly "hardware" chasing. They are trying to put the kids in the best possible position to compete, have fun and develope.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

If you ever get out to a St. Cloud vs Wilmar or a St. Micheal vs LDC game you may change your mind. 12-0 / 17-0 etc.. type games are not much fun for anyone involved.
puckhead58

Post by puckhead58 »

Pretty common as you go North. North Shore (Silver Bay/Two Harbors), Denfeld, and Moose Lake did not field A teams at the Bantam or PW (NS & ML) levels this year. Not sure about Pine City, Mora, Cambridge-Isanti. Depends on each years situation, numbers and depth-wise.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

IMO, it depends on how deep the talent is. If the bottom half of the team is B2-calibre, while the top half has maybe 2-3 "A" calibre and the rest B1....then, they should be playing B1.

The problem is that team declarations are usually held before tryouts take place, so it's hard to determine.

If that B1 team dominates over the others, then they probably should've played A. But if they play "A" and only go winless in District, they should've played B1.

Very tough call.