Checking leagues for Pee Wee and Squirts???

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

youngatheart

Checking leagues for Pee Wee and Squirts???

Post by youngatheart »

Has anyone heard of leagues being developed within Minnesota that allow checking at the PeeWee and also at the Squirt level? I apologize if this topic has been addressed.
mp#99

Post by mp#99 »

70's and 80's
youngatheart

Post by youngatheart »

Thanks for the typical wisecrack response. It does appear that MM is doing this very thing, or will be doing it in the future, from the information I have been told. I was just attempting to get some confirmation on this.
QuackerTracker

Post by QuackerTracker »

Super duper AAA hockey tournaments all summer. Under insured tournamets with all the checking you can handle!!!
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

QuackerTracker wrote:Super duper AAA hockey tournaments all summer. Under insured tournamets with all the checking you can handle!!!
Wow slamming the only real hockey left in USA hockey! Underinsured? That's the best you can come up with. I would say the escape from USA hockey umbrella is probably the best your going to get. But your clearly in the everyone deserves a trophy camp.
QuackerTracker

Post by QuackerTracker »

edgeless2 wrote:
QuackerTracker wrote:Super duper AAA hockey tournaments all summer. Under insured tournamets with all the checking you can handle!!!
Wow slamming the only real hockey left in USA hockey! Underinsured? That's the best you can come up with. I would say the escape from USA hockey umbrella is probably the best your going to get. But your clearly in the everyone deserves a trophy camp.
I am a full supporter of AAA hockey. Just not unsanctioned hockey with unregistered officials not qualified to work the levels. I want kids to have the opportunity to play at the highest levels. But these summer teams are out of control. Look at all the complaining on this board. Team jumping, parents writing checks to get Billy on a team (yes I know it happens in the rest of the country), kids not seeing the ice, or whatever else parents complain about. But who watches for the overall safety of the game. If a player injures another player in a summer tournament game what discipline is there? None. He will be back the next weekend playing. Summer AAA hockey has done nothing but increase the “everyone is a gets a trophy mentality”. Tournaments have teams play for 12th place so they get that 1 more game so parents will write the big checks.

The sad fact is the state of hockey can’t send a team to compete in national championships (except Shattuck and I wouldn’t call that a MN team. MN should be the laughing stock of the rest of the country. When places like Nevada, Texas and California are producing better hockey players then this state and what is the response from MN residents? “Kids need to play shinny outside more”. Last I checked Nevada, Texas and Cali don’t have outdoor ice.

I am still on the fence on the whole checking thing. I love the flow of the games but I am unsure of the future affects. A lot of people seem to think bantam hockey is going to be filed with injuries; I’m taking the wait and see approach. The issue is we live in a world controlled by lawyers and if a kid at the PeeWee level gets injured in game with checking allowed the lawsuits could be out of control. I fear for the summer tournaments to come and players to be injured. I sure don’t want to be near the rink if it happens.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Are California, Nevada and Texas really sending boat loads of more quality players to D-1 schools and the NHL?
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Great Post Quick

Send me an email at editor@youthhockeyuhub.com

I'm writing an article about this topic as we speak. would love to get your opinion on this or anyone's for that matter.

TS
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

QuackerTracker wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
I am a full supporter of AAA hockey. Just not unsanctioned hockey with unregistered officials not qualified to work the levels. I want kids to have the opportunity to play at the highest levels. But these summer teams are out of control. Look at all the complaining on this board. Team jumping, parents writing checks to get Billy on a team (yes I know it happens in the rest of the country), kids not seeing the ice, or whatever else parents complain about. But who watches for the overall safety of the game. If a player injures another player in a summer tournament game what discipline is there? None. He will be back the next weekend playing. Summer AAA hockey has done nothing but increase the “everyone is a gets a trophy mentality”. Tournaments have teams play for 12th place so they get that 1 more game so parents will write the big checks.

The sad fact is the state of hockey can’t send a team to compete in national championships (except Shattuck and I wouldn’t call that a MN team. MN should be the laughing stock of the rest of the country. When places like Nevada, Texas and California are producing better hockey players then this state and what is the response from MN residents? “Kids need to play shinny outside more”. Last I checked Nevada, Texas and Cali don’t have outdoor ice.

I am still on the fence on the whole checking thing. I love the flow of the games but I am unsure of the future affects. A lot of people seem to think bantam hockey is going to be filed with injuries; I’m taking the wait and see approach. The issue is we live in a world controlled by lawyers and if a kid at the PeeWee level gets injured in game with checking allowed the lawsuits could be out of control. I fear for the summer tournaments to come and players to be injured. I sure don’t want to be near the rink if it happens.
Well said.
QuackerTracker

Post by QuackerTracker »

Green and White Fan wrote:Are California, Nevada and Texas really sending boat loads of more quality players to D-1 schools and the NHL?
1 from Texas, 1 from Cali and 1 from Vegas, and 3 from MN on the U20 team.

3 from Cali, 1 from Texas, and 4 from MN on the NTDP U18 team.

1 From Cali and 5 from MN pm the U17 team

Last year MN had 54,325 registered players or a .02% change of being one of those players
TX, NV and CA had 35,112 or a .02% chance.

Less players producing equal talent. MN needs to reevaluate what they are doing.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

IMO, checking should start in squirts. Let them develop with checking instead of needing to adapt to it later. I fear for those kids who will have their first checking with kids who have been checking for a few years. Next years second year bantam will have had four years of checking. First year bantams will have had one year of checking, two years ago.

The adaptation was difficult for some at peewees. What will it be like with bantams when the kids are bigger and stronger and can do much more damage then 80-120 lb peewees?
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

Another thing I have noticed is there is more hotdog puck hogging in peewees and less passing. Less like hockey and more like individual skill showcasing. The beauty of checking is that it forces puck hogs to pass.

I've noticed that a kid will try to stickhandle through three defenders while not even looking to pass. With checking, that kid learns really quick that he will be flattened for that sort of selfish play.
HSRef77

Post by HSRef77 »

Outoftowner wrote:Another thing I have noticed is there is more hotdog puck hogging in peewees and less passing. Less like hockey and more like individual skill showcasing. The beauty of checking is that it forces puck hogs to pass.

I've noticed that a kid will try to stickhandle through three defenders while not even looking to pass. With checking, that kid learns really quick that he will be flattened for that sort of selfish play.

I don't necessarily agree that there has been less passing. I would say there has been less dump and chase hockey.

Also, remember that "flattening" a kid is one of the reasons the rule was changed.....checking is separating your opponent from the puck with the idea that you or your teammate will get control of the puck.
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

Between the kid's games this winter, I suspect I have watched 100+ plus peewee games. The passing is a joke. It is now a toe-pull competition. Kids are gonna learn REAL quick if they play spring/summer hockey. Also, if a kid is carrying the puck and an opponent delivers a well-placed shoulder to his chest or lays a perfect Giles-like hip check on him and flattens the kid, sorry, but that's part of the game. If the kid gets "flattened" in the process of separating him from the puck, that's the way it goes. USA Hockey wanted to lament the "blowup" hits just for the sake of hitting a kid. That penalty was already on the book: if the kid getting checked didn't have the puck, it is called interference. If the kid doing the checking makes contact with the head, it is called head contact. If the kid doing the checking brought his arms up, you can call elbowing. The rules were already there, just needed to do a better job of enforcing them.
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

Between the kid's games this winter, I suspect I have watched 100+ plus peewee games. The passing is a joke. It is now a toe-pull competition. Kids are gonna learn REAL quick if they play spring/summer hockey. Also, if a kid is carrying the puck and an opponent delivers a well-placed shoulder to his chest or lays a perfect Giles-like hip check on him and flattens the kid, sorry, but that's part of the game. If the kid gets "flattened" in the process of separating him from the puck, that's the way it goes. USA Hockey wanted to lament the "blowup" hits just for the sake of hitting a kid. That penalty was already on the book: if the kid getting checked didn't have the puck, it is called interference. If the kid doing the checking makes contact with the head, it is called head contact. If the kid doing the checking brought his arms up, you can call elbowing. The rules were already there, just needed to do a better job of enforcing them.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:Great Post Quick

Send me an email at editor@youthhockeyuhub.com

I'm writing an article about this topic as we speak. would love to get your opinion on this or anyone's for that matter.

TS
I bumped up a topic on the Junior Forum on this site. "MN kids performing well in the USHL"

Something that needs to be solved!
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

QuackerTracker wrote:
Green and White Fan wrote:Are California, Nevada and Texas really sending boat loads of more quality players to D-1 schools and the NHL?

Last year MN had 54,325 registered players or a .02% change of being one of those players

Less players producing equal talent. MN needs to reevaluate what they are doing.
This is a skewed perspective; Minnesota HS hockey produces more than enough competition for kids to turn down playing in Ann Arbor. I highly doubt there are kids from Texas and Nevada turning down playing for the NTDP team because they feel they can be challenged at their local high school level.

Not to mention Shattuck is just as an attractive option to MN kids, 20% of which on the Prep team are from MN as are 50% of the Bantam Tier 1's.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

HSRef77 wrote:
I don't necessarily agree that there has been less passing. I would say there has been less dump and chase hockey.

Also, remember that "flattening" a kid is one of the reasons the rule was changed.....checking is separating your opponent from the puck with the idea that you or your teammate will get control of the puck.
Please forgive my politically incorrect terminology, but in my day it was called "flattening" a puck hog. It was also a great lesson in team play(for the puck hog). I of course define "flattening" as good clean bodychecking.

I respect and appreciate your seemingly sensitive view of certain terminology. I will try in the future to remember that we live in a much more sensitive world. Please accept my apology.
Last edited by Outoftowner on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuackerTracker

Post by QuackerTracker »

TheSiouxSuck wrote: This is a skewed perspective; Minnesota HS hockey produces more than enough competition for kids to turn down playing in Ann Arbor. I highly doubt there are kids from Texas and Nevada turning down playing for the NTDP team because they feel they can be challenged at their local high school level.

Not to mention Shattuck is just as an attractive option to MN kids, 20% of which on the Prep team are from MN as are 50% of the Bantam Tier 1's.
That might be few that turn down the NTDP for the 17s and 18s but not a single player would turn down the oppertunity to play for the 20s in th WJC. I would say those numbers are pretty clear for that team.

In 2010 there where 5 MN kids on the U20 roster. The rest of the country is passing our kids by and quickly.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Five out of how many 22/20 ? That's 25 % MN.
youngatheart

Post by youngatheart »

More Details. Starting next fall, Minnesota Made will be starting a new Squirt League similar to Choice that will be made up of second year Squirts which will teach and allow checking within game play.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

Peewee Choice League had checking this year.

(don't know if someone said that already)
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Could Minnesota being doing things better, probably. Are we the laughing stock of hockey and being blown away by California, Texas and Neveda. no way and that comment is ridiculous.

Seeing Aaron Ness starting on one blue line and Dustin Byfuglien on the other blue line up in Winnipeg the other night, was a pretty proud moment for Roseau, MN. Show me a town in California or Texas with a population of 2500 doing that!
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

QuackerTracker wrote:

Wise man once said " all statistics lie and all men who use them are liars."

Those stats do not meant that only those were the only 12 kids that MN could produce to go to the national level. That just means those were the only ones who went.

We don't know how many MN players could have gone and that would have kept your Texas, California, and Nevada Kids from going.

We don't know how many MN kids choose to stay here because they learn so much and get so much better, verses the TX, CA, NV kids that leave the first chance they get because hockey is not so great in those states.

We don't know how many current under 20, under 18 and under 17 kids from MN will pass by those kids that are playing for the nation development program.

If you are going to use stats, try how many MN vs Tx, CA, NV are in D1 college programs, or maybe dare I say the show.
"I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top"
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

Great post Chuck!

This is a societal issue. Logic and Critical thinking are lacking everywhere we turn. Read between the lines people. In addition to the board, just watch the nightly news.