Goalie companys [ who's the best] ?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

old goalie85

Goalie companys [ who's the best] ?

Post by old goalie85 »

My youngest has become a goalie. [last year of mite] Looking at options and I see about 10 to 15. Who do I get the most bang for my $$$?
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

IMO Goalcrease is the best, particularly for a younger goalie.
OneMoreYear

Post by OneMoreYear »

hockey4ever wrote:IMO Goalcrease is the best, particularly for a younger goalie.
Agree. Best when it comes to emphasis on skating and edge work in the crease as well - biggest mistake most parents make with young goalie is not focusing on skating. Also very good for high end Bantam and H.S. goalies. Expensive.
JSR

Post by JSR »

OneMoreYear wrote:
hockey4ever wrote:IMO Goalcrease is the best, particularly for a younger goalie.
Agree. Best when it comes to emphasis on skating and edge work in the crease as well - biggest mistake most parents make with young goalie is not focusing on skating. Also very good for high end Bantam and H.S. goalies. Expensive.
Intersting you say that. When I was growing up my coaches always said the best skaters on the ice should be goalies. I was speaking to one the the top goalie coaches in the midwest recently and asked him about that and he said that being a great skater obviously never hurts anyone BUT that the old adage about the goalie being the best skater on the ice is just that an old adage, he said with todays goalies the #1 thing is can they stop the puck form going in the net, with so many different styles and sizes of goalies that old adage just isn't as applicable as it once was, this was according to him, not me and who am I to disagree with a guy whom many NHL pro goalies seek out in the offseason to work with.... just found it interesting and seemed appropriate to this topic
TheJet

Post by TheJet »

Skate skate skate IMO. Try a few out, some will try to make him fit their style and some will accomodate how the kid likes to play and/or fit his tendancies. All are $$.
jpiehl

Post by jpiehl »

I agree, you really just have to try some different ones. I sent my son to one of the big, highly touted goalie development places, and he came back worse after a week than before he went. Not that they do anything bad, it just wasn't a proper fit. He has found a few that he likes that work well with him, but there really isn't a one size fits all approach.
Chandler23

Post by Chandler23 »

Does an 8 year old really need training from a goalie company? Can't you just bomb shots on him all day? Or, judging from your screen name, teach him everything that you know?

Take advantage of all the 3 on 3 games going on in the off-season. There's plenty of places that will give goalies plenty of work at a cheap price. Or you'll find AAA teams will availability still where goalies are 1/2 the price.

Or maybe money isn't an issue. Then I'd recommend Stauber. But at your kid's age, just keep him in front of the net and facing shots. Next week, next month, or next year he might not want to play it any more.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

$ is an issue. I watch the kids play now and style very different. He has three older bros,one older sister so he gets shots in the backyard. FL uses GDI and after watching, certain things are much different then the days of "stacking your pads, and the skate save" Thanks!!
BBgunner

Post by BBgunner »

With his age and $$ and keeping him enjoying the game and position why not stick with GDI or Premier since he will know the instructors they are good and already know him and what to work on. As he gets older then branch out and seek more training different points of view. At 8 fundamentally he needs to work on angles, tracking the puck, positioning on the ice, and body control. Playing goalie is kind of like a golf swing it is reps lots of them to build confidence, with confidence comes victories.
Ozzie82

Post by Ozzie82 »

Seeing a ton of shots at 3x3 or at the local outdoor rink is good, but if you don't know what you're doing and you're reinforcing bad habits it can be a problem. IMO a combination of seeing a ton of shots AND training is needed. With training comes knowledge, with knowledge comes confidence, and with confidence comes success.

My son has worked with Steve Carroll, Goalcrease, and Dave Rogalski at Impact Hockey, and they are all great. I recommend all of them. I also recommend going to multiple coaches. The more info that can be gotten from people who know what they are doing, the better.

And... yes, training is expensive. So are $1500 leg pads and all the other equipment you have to buy. No doubt it is tough being a goalie parent. But it's been great for my son, and the life lessons that go hand in hand with being a goalie are immeasurable.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Thanks, they seem very good to me.
Milk Carton Matty #6

Post by Milk Carton Matty #6 »

old goalie85 wrote:$ is an issue. I watch the kids play now and style very different. He has three older bros,one older sister so he gets shots in the backyard. FL uses GDI and after watching, certain things are much different then the days of "stacking your pads, and the skate save" Thanks!!
The "Go Down Institute" ... not one of my favorites... poor habits, and think that just a position can make you better vs making saves.... Would say goal crease or MEGA over GDI
99GoalieDad

Post by 99GoalieDad »

I would highly recommend Devenir Goaltenders-

http://devenirgoaltenders.wordpress.com/

We have worked with Ryan Ess for 4 years and he's done wonders for our tender.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Thanx-I have ?'s about the newer style as well. It seems it was developed for pro's that are 6'4", squirts/pee-wees are 4'6".
JSR

Post by JSR »

old goalie85 wrote:Thanx-I have ?'s about the newer style as well. It seems it was developed for pro's that are 6'4", squirts/pee-wees are 4'6".
Are you trying to develop good habits and the proper way to play the game for when they are older and bigger. Or are you trying to win games now? My question is not one of condesention but rather just the bigger picture. We have a very small goalie on our Pee Wee A team and admittedly we give up some goals purely because he is small and some good pee wee skaters can just snipe him no matter what he does. But when you watch him he moves better than most golaies I have seen in our area and he plays his angles very well and has a good glove. My hope is he continues to have a passion for the spor and the position because I believe that by the time the kids are juniors in high school he'll have grown and be one of the best goalies in our area, meanwhile other goalies who are thought of as "good" in our area are really just bigger and fill more net IMHO
99GoalieDad

Post by 99GoalieDad »

In my opinion, it's about developing technique and making the right save selection. The style and technique will stop more pucks as they get older if they learn good habits now.
Goalie Dude

Post by Goalie Dude »

Old Goalie85 - Check your PM
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

First sorry about your kid choosing goalie. I wouldn't trade the experience we have had for anything but it is a long expensive road.

Have been very happy with Goalcrease over the years with my oldest, now my youngest is becoming a goalie as well. We will most likely stay with them. Way back they used to do an intro to goalie camp that was great and not that expensive, I remember they did an off ice session about how the equipment went on and some talks with parents with goalie parenting tips. Not sure if they still do that but I thought it was helpful back then. I also strongly suggest you talk one of your teams coaches into going to Steve Carrol's Goalie coaching clinic through MN Hockey, if they wont then you should. While players are skating their drills at the start of practice then someone can take your goalie and work on the goalie skating. Goalie C cuts, shuffles and T-glides with good hand position, getting good habits early will pay off for a long time. If you pay the fee to send a coach this will be the best money you spend.

3 on 3 is a ton of fun but you will not work out of any bad habits there, they will likely just get more ingrained. If the team in front of him is outclassed in 3 vs 3 it can be a bit of a bummer so make sure they are in the right league.

Welcome to the club.
The Enlightened One

Post by The Enlightened One »

Interesting topic so far. All of the companies that you have mentioned are good. There are several things that you do need to know though in order to do your job in developing your goalie.

First, the best coaching that your kid will get will be from his own team mates. He will receive coaching tips including such things as "you have to stop that puck", and "you have to try to catch that puck" and also positive self esteem building tips too. It is good for your kid to hear that "we could have won that game if our goalie was any good". The best of course is when the parents say it after the game in the lobby area so that he can hear it as he comes out of the locker room. Remind him that it is good to have them talking about him. The best will come from the parent of the defenseman or the winger who stands in the stands and watches his kid push kids to the inside all day (allowing them to keep the puck just to make it exciting) and then if their kid happens to be in the area of the net during a scramble the kid gets out of the way because he is afraid of contact so that their forwards can get off a clean 3rd or 4th shot on goal in 15 seconds. That parent usually has the best coaching tips for you goalie, they will include such gems as if he did not let in all of those easy goals we would have won and also things like "you need to be able to get up faster so you have a better chance at stopping the puck". It is in poor taste for you to point out that in most cases kids have enough of a back hand to hit an open net from 3 feet away so if you don't want to be considered to be a bad hockey parent don't say it.

Second, you job includes getting your goalie to properly understand his place in life. When he takes his team into over time while being outshot 2 to 1 by the other team he has to be the first one down the ice to help mob the winger who won the game in OT. If your child does not race down the ice to congratulate the shooter he is wrong. Your child also needs to understand that even though he was just outshot 2 to 1 or more it is his fault that the team lost. He has to understand that yelling screen, screen at his D makes them wonder if there are mosquitoes around the net area so yelling it is a waste of time and breath and makes it harder for them to focus on their real job which is to stand in the way of your goalie so that he can't see the puck. Really, it is distracting, tell your child not to do that. Your child has to be properly apologetic to his team mates for losing the game. At no time is it fair for him to point out that even though breakaways are exciting to watch from the stands (especially for the other team's parents) that some D try to not allow them. Even the suggestion that you should push a kid to the outside or (heaven forbid) take the puck from him at the blue line is in poor taste.

Next, it is a good thing to be ignored by the coaches during practice. Remember, if he is not yelling at you about last game then you must have done OK. It is considered proper coaching for coaches to play you and your goalie partner off each other to keep you both interested. A good coach will ignore you and will be happy when you stay out of the way during practice so that he can work with the hockey players. Never, ever, under any circumstances must your goalie ask an assistant coach to work with them during practice, that assistant's job is to watch the main coach do his thing so that he can learn the drills too, your job as goalie it to stand in the net and stop the puck. Make sure your kid knows this as he will get yelled at less often once he does.

Now, some info to help you out. Buy your coffee early before the game starts. Also hit the bathroom at the same time. This will reduce the chances that you will get caught between periods by parents who want to talk about how your child is doing, especially if you are losing. You, of course, are encouraged to go out between periods to tell the parents of the kid who scored about the amazing job their kid is doing. Stand in the corner of the stands away from all parents, it is quieter there and few parents will be brave enough to come over to talk to you if you are losing. If your kid loses the game for his team you have to look sad and apologize to the parents. At no time are you permitted to point out the number of breakaway saves made or to remind them that when your team gets shut out the fact that your kid let in a soft goal was pretty much irrelevant as the 5 good goals that were scored pretty much sealed the deal. Your team lost, your goalie lost it for them. Be humble, be sad, apologize to the other parents, it is the right thing to do.

All of that said, welcome to the club. We meet in the corner of the stands during the game and compare notes. We will tell you that your kid made a nice save and will warn you about the hackers from that next team that you are gonna play.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

The Enlightened One wrote:Interesting topic so far. All of the companies that you have mentioned are good. There are several things that you do need to know though in order to do your job in developing your goalie.

First, the best coaching that your kid will get will be from his own team mates. He will receive coaching tips including such things as "you have to stop that puck", and "you have to try to catch that puck" and also positive self esteem building tips too. It is good for your kid to hear that "we could have won that game if our goalie was any good". The best of course is when the parents say it after the game in the lobby area so that he can hear it as he comes out of the locker room. Remind him that it is good to have them talking about him. The best will come from the parent of the defenseman or the winger who stands in the stands and watches his kid push kids to the inside all day (allowing them to keep the puck just to make it exciting) and then if their kid happens to be in the area of the net during a scramble the kid gets out of the way because he is afraid of contact so that their forwards can get off a clean 3rd or 4th shot on goal in 15 seconds. That parent usually has the best coaching tips for you goalie, they will include such gems as if he did not let in all of those easy goals we would have won and also things like "you need to be able to get up faster so you have a better chance at stopping the puck". It is in poor taste for you to point out that in most cases kids have enough of a back hand to hit an open net from 3 feet away so if you don't want to be considered to be a bad hockey parent don't say it.

Second, you job includes getting your goalie to properly understand his place in life. When he takes his team into over time while being outshot 2 to 1 by the other team he has to be the first one down the ice to help mob the winger who won the game in OT. If your child does not race down the ice to congratulate the shooter he is wrong. Your child also needs to understand that even though he was just outshot 2 to 1 or more it is his fault that the team lost. He has to understand that yelling screen, screen at his D makes them wonder if there are mosquitoes around the net area so yelling it is a waste of time and breath and makes it harder for them to focus on their real job which is to stand in the way of your goalie so that he can't see the puck. Really, it is distracting, tell your child not to do that. Your child has to be properly apologetic to his team mates for losing the game. At no time is it fair for him to point out that even though breakaways are exciting to watch from the stands (especially for the other team's parents) that some D try to not allow them. Even the suggestion that you should push a kid to the outside or (heaven forbid) take the puck from him at the blue line is in poor taste.

Next, it is a good thing to be ignored by the coaches during practice. Remember, if he is not yelling at you about last game then you must have done OK. It is considered proper coaching for coaches to play you and your goalie partner off each other to keep you both interested. A good coach will ignore you and will be happy when you stay out of the way during practice so that he can work with the hockey players. Never, ever, under any circumstances must your goalie ask an assistant coach to work with them during practice, that assistant's job is to watch the main coach do his thing so that he can learn the drills too, your job as goalie it to stand in the net and stop the puck. Make sure your kid knows this as he will get yelled at less often once he does.

Now, some info to help you out. Buy your coffee early before the game starts. Also hit the bathroom at the same time. This will reduce the chances that you will get caught between periods by parents who want to talk about how your child is doing, especially if you are losing. You, of course, are encouraged to go out between periods to tell the parents of the kid who scored about the amazing job their kid is doing. Stand in the corner of the stands away from all parents, it is quieter there and few parents will be brave enough to come over to talk to you if you are losing. If your kid loses the game for his team you have to look sad and apologize to the parents. At no time are you permitted to point out the number of breakaway saves made or to remind them that when your team gets shut out the fact that your kid let in a soft goal was pretty much irrelevant as the 5 good goals that were scored pretty much sealed the deal. Your team lost, your goalie lost it for them. Be humble, be sad, apologize to the other parents, it is the right thing to do.

All of that said, welcome to the club. We meet in the corner of the stands during the game and compare notes. We will tell you that your kid made a nice save and will warn you about the hackers from that next team that you are gonna play.
Awesome!
Marty McSorely

Best I've seen on the forum in a long time

Post by Marty McSorely »

Enlightened #1 so awesome.

I still remember over hearing a mom in a squirt game years ago " the goalie should have caught that one".... yeah my kid should have caught that one.....but it would have helped if your kid would have given an effort to win the draw and not let the kid skate in uncontested.....

Yes that bitch still is under my skin....

Good luck being a goalie dad, it's not that bad! There are many of us out here and remember we know exactly how you feel. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Semper FI
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

WOW I'm going to hang that one up in my garage. Outstanding!!!!!!!
The Enlightened One

Post by The Enlightened One »

..... seriously though.

Each of them will have their strengths and weaknesses and no two of them are a like. As you know goalies are a diverse bunch. Find the company that matches your kid's style and temperament and go with them. One of the companies mentioned is very much into position and technique. They are not so worried about how you get from point A to point B but rather what position you are in when you end up in Point B. They are very into glove position, blocker angle, pad angle and etc. One of the other ones is very big into movement. They figure that if they can get you from Point A to Point B quickly and efficiently you will figure out how to stop the puck once you are at B. Another one is very into things like rebound control and body position. You can usually go to each of them and tell them you are thinking about using them and they will give you a cut rate on a couple of Into lessons. Look at the big picture. When you pay for an hour do you get an hour or do you get 45 minutes? How much goalie work and how much talking goes on? Does your goalie like it? Ask about coaches, some have the same people for ever and some turn them over. Can you request one or do you get who you get?

All in all your goalie is going to be trained in their methods and thought processes. It will get to the point after a year or so of training that people will look at your kid and say "oh, I see that he is an X goalie" and they will be right. You have to pick the company that fits your kid and that you can live with for awhile.

The biggest mistake that people make is to not research it. They are going to develop your kid into the goalie that matches their mindset. If you are 5 foot 2 and your wife is 5 foot flat chances are your kid is not going to be 6 foot 3. The ideal butterfly goalie is in the area of 6 foot 3. You might not want to take your genetically programmed 5 foot 3 or so goalie to a hardcore butterfly program. It will work at mites, will start to slack off at squirts, stop working at peewees and have him looking for work at bantams. OTOH, there are people who think that goalies should play on their feet and work with that theory in mind. Your 5 foot 3 goalie will do well with that approach. You will find some people who will tailor a program to fit your goalie, some have a canned (for lack of a better way to put it) approach to goalie training and follow their program.
CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD »

The Enlightened One wrote:Interesting topic so far. All of the companies that you have mentioned are good. There are several things that you do need to know though in order to do your job in developing your goalie.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :D :D That's awesome!!

Many good posts in this thread.
My son has worked with two different groups. He has learned productively from both and likes working with both. Early on, exposure to diverse methods is beneficial as they figure out what works for them. I have not found either organization countering my son's development. It seems each is open to progressing the things that work for him.
I suggest not becoming too rigid to a particular style or technique too soon because through exposure and an open mind you may find out something else works better. Just my $0.02.
woodley

Post by woodley »

I just watched my kid's last regular season high school game. . . kinda sad!!

As we went through the early years, I went to Steve Carroll's goalie coaching clinic. Fairly cheap (if I recall, less than $100 for an evening) and he provides great support. He will teach you many good, quick goalie drills, primarily skating, that can be done in breaks in the practice by the goalie without anyone having to direct him. These served my son VERY well!! If your child gets basic GOALIE skating ingrained, it will come out when the pucks are in play. Our high school goalie coach was a Div III All American. He still uses Carroll's basic "Ready, React, Recover" theory!

I never quite learned how to teach "Thick Skin" but that is also one of the best lessons for your son. He will have to have a different mentality than the rest of the team. One of the things I have done with my son after every game is talk about his "save of the game." It didn't matter if we lost 8-0 or won 2-1. We would each isolate a particular save and talk about how form, skating, reaction, etc, caused him to steal one!!

Best of luck, it's a long road paved with trials, but it also has a ton of jewels along the way!!! I wouldn't have traded it for the world!!