Mn Selects Tryout?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Outoftowner

Mn Selects Tryout?

Post by Outoftowner »

I have an 02 who tried out for a AAA team. He thought he did really good but heard there are six "Selects" players that didn't even tryout.

My first thought was, "Selects" at mites?
Was there a tryout process for Mite level "Selects to determine who are the best mites?

Or is Selects just a who you know, self-appointed elite status thing?

Kind of like a Super Special/ Super Awesome, Premium Elite hockey camp that takes anyone with enough money?

My second thought was: How does a kid know where he stands, skill wise, if not all the players are there to prove they are better?

The team roster hasn't come out yet so I don't know if he made the team or not, but it will be interesting to see who these six magical superstars are that didn't even need to be bothered with a fair tryout.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

No try out for selects, super series,or elite classic. The kids get picked/chosen for a variety reasons.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

Can I ask what AAA team? I understand if you dont want to say since you didn't state it in your post. Most AAA teams have already had tryouts, and most teams are picked minus maybe a couple players. So tryouts will be added to fill those spots. Many kids who already made the team dont come to those tryouts..

Not sure if this is case with your AAA team or not.

Also many of the 02's that play selects, super series, elite classic play squirts and many "A" squirts, not mites.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

old goalie85 wrote:No try out for selects, super series,or elite classic. The kids get picked/chosen for a variety reasons.
Heard this a couple of years ago, quoted something like

- coach's kid
- coach assistants' kid
- coach's friends' kids
- coach kid's friends

of course not always the case ... but no need to be caught up with not being selected. My kids did it before and no big deal, seriously. It did not help or hurt my kids' hockey.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

This is nuts! wrote:Can I ask what AAA team? I understand if you dont want to say since you didn't state it in your post. Most AAA teams have already had tryouts, and most teams are picked minus maybe a couple players. So tryouts will be added to fill those spots. Many kids who already made the team dont come to those tryouts..

Also many of the 02's that play selects, super series, elite classic play squirts and many "A" squirts, not mites.
I understand that they maybe feel they have a team and just want to fill in open positions.

It may be illogical in thinking that every year is a new year and that every kid should earn his spot on a team. Maybe that's not based in reality.

Also I don't want to say which team, because I'm not trying to slam them. I guess I feel that my kid is a pretty good player (big surprise right? :wink: ) and would just like him to have a fair tryout. I don't at this point know whether he made the team or not. If they are good and he belongs there based on skill, I'd hope he has fair consideration.

My O2 is a mite waiver up who tried out and made the squirt A team, although not a very good squirt A team. I was thinking that IF an 02 was a Selects player from last year, wouldn't he have been a mite the winter before Selects and would have been a first year squirt this season?

What other factors would be included other then skill when considering who is a Selects player?

I guess I'm just confused about why there isn't a tryout and if there isn't, how does a player get considered?

Thanks for your input.
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Outoftowner wrote:
This is nuts! wrote:Can I ask what AAA team? I understand if you dont want to say since you didn't state it in your post. Most AAA teams have already had tryouts, and most teams are picked minus maybe a couple players. So tryouts will be added to fill those spots. Many kids who already made the team dont come to those tryouts..

I understand that they maybe feel they have a team and just want to fill in open positions.

It may be illogical in thinking that every year is a new year and that every kid should earn his spot on a team. Maybe that's not based in reality.

Also I don't want to say which team, because I'm not trying to slam them. I guess I feel that my kid is a pretty good player (big surprise right? :wink: ) and would just like him to have a fair tryout. I don't at this point know whether he made the team or not. If they are good and he belongs there based on skill, I'd hope he has fair consideration.

My O2 is a mite waiver up who tried out and made the squirt A team, although not a very good squirt A team. I was thinking that IF an 02 was a Selects player from last year, wouldn't he have been a mite the winter before Selects and would have been a first year squirt this season?

What other factors would be included other then skill when considering who is a Selects player?

I guess I'm just confused about why there isn't a tryout and if there isn't, how does a player get considered?

Thanks for your input.
Here some advice - Don't piss away your time, money and most of all your kids summer.

When its all said and done and when your son is a senior he will not be who he is as a person or hockey player because of some AAA summer hockey team :wink:
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

Mnhockeys wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:No try out for selects, super series,or elite classic. The kids get picked/chosen for a variety reasons.
Heard this a couple of years ago, quoted something like

- coach's kid
- coach assistants' kid
- coach's friends' kids
- coach kid's friends

of course not always the case ... but no need to be caught up with not being selected. My kids did it before and no big deal, seriously. It did not help or hurt my kids' hockey.

I'm not too caught up with it. It would seem from what I'm reading, Selects is not necessarily the best players. If I have any problem, I guess it would be that Selects is carrying some form of elite status, and if a player is elite why not get him out on the ice and prove it? Especially when its potentially edging out other players for a spot on a team.

Again, I don't even know if it did in my son's case. He came home and told me about the "Selects" players. He seemed pretty impressed that they must be "so good" they don't even need to tryout.

Who knows, maybe they are the coaches' kids' friends or maybe they are really good. We'll find out soon enough. I'd prefer that my son get beat out by actual players in a fair tryout, instead of absent players that carry the "Selects" prestige.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I can help you out on the AAA part. If the existing team has a core group of checks,or I mean kids, then there is no reason for those in power to replace said checks,or I mean kids. If team had huge defection of checks then you and your checkbook would already know. Picking up what I'm puttin down???
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

Outoftowner wrote:

Thanks for your input.
I guess it depends on what is meant by being a "selects" player. The MN Selects is a one tournament thing, and that is it. I beleive you can go to the website and and fill out a player profile to be considered. I also believe 02's could not play last year in the MN select tourny. 02's are the youngest group this year. Go to mnselects.com for info on that tourny.

Most AAA teams are looking for the best players they can find. Not sure what program you are trying to be part of, but if your son is good enough most will teams will want him..

Good luck, not sure if any of this helps...
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:
Outoftowner wrote:

Thanks for your input.
Here some advice - Don't piss away your time, money and most of all your kids summer.

When its all said and done and when your son is a senior he will not be who he is as a person or hockey player because of some AAA summer hockey team :wink:

I hear ya! The schedule isn't too much for my son's interest. It seems like it would match up pretty well. He loves hockey so we thought we'd skate this summer, but still gonna be playing baseball, swimming, fishing etc...

He really wants to play, so I'll let him. If he gets sick of it, we'll do something else. :D
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

old goalie85 wrote:I can help you out on the AAA part. If the existing team has a core group of checks,or I mean kids, then there is no reason for those in power to replace said checks,or I mean kids. If team had huge defection of checks then you and your checkbook would already know. Picking up what I'm puttin down???
LOL!

I hear ya!

very funny post.

Thanks!
observer

Post by observer »

Two different discussions.

Your AAA tryout should be just that. 02 teams aren't as set as a 98 team so some teams will want multiple players. An 98 team might be only looking for a replacement player or two.

MN Selects is a AAA tourney that in theory is run by coaches from the 4 regions of the state.

http://www.mnselects.com

It looks like this is the first year for 2002s. The coaches from the region will invite strong players in the region based on all, or some, of the coaches in the region. There isn't any tryouts and often the teams stay close to the same year to year. Someone else mentioned if you consider who the strongest 2002s in any part of the State they will likely be 2002s born before July 1 and will already have played a year of Squirts and seen by other Squirt coaches in the designated region.

It's a good tourney and experience. It is in St. Cloud, which isn't great for some, and it seems as though it's an always busy weekend (spring break). Some teams are very good, year after year, and others don't do as good of job finding the best players.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

This is nuts! wrote:
Outoftowner wrote:

Thanks for your input.
...Snip....
Most AAA teams are looking for the best players they can find. Not sure what program you are trying to be part of, but if your son is good enough most will teams will want him..

That is what I'm hoping. Kids learn soon enough that there are a lot of politics in many areas of our lives. I'd hope to avoid that as long as possible as it concerns sports.

Again, I want him to get beat out by real players that he can witness as being better then him. That way if he desires, he can work on whatever it is that kept him off the team. I'd prefer that he witness his competition and learn something from it. If he does not make the team. [/b]
Last edited by Outoftowner on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

Also, don't let anyone in this forum tell you what is good for your kid. If he wants to play in the summer let him, if he doesn't, then do something else.

My kid doesn't like baseball, he likes hockey, and if I told him he couldn't play in the summer he would be crushed. It's my son's decision, Not anyone else's decsion. Maybe next year he doesn't want to play. Thats up to him. :D
jpiehl

Post by jpiehl »

Outoftowner wrote:
This is nuts! wrote:
Outoftowner wrote: I understand that they maybe feel they have a team and just want to fill in open positions.

Thanks for your input.
...Snip....

That is what I'm hoping. Kids learn soon enough that there are a lot of politics in many areas of our lives. I'd hope to avoid that as long as possible as it concerns sports.

Again, I want him to get beat out by real players that he can witness as being better then him. That way if he desires, he can work on whatever it is that kept him off the team. I'd prefer that he witness his competition and learn something from it. If he does not make the team. [/b]
While I can certainly see that you want him to witness the kids that may beat him out for a spot, that may not be realistic. If a coach already knows how a kid performs, there is no need have him come to tryouts. Yes, this is sometimes used as the good old boys network, but many times they already know the player is a high performer so they just want to concentrate on the kids out there to fill the holes without having a lot of other kids out there for no real purpose.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

This is nuts! wrote:Also, don't let anyone in this forum tell you what is good for your kid. If he wants to play in the summer let him, if he doesn't, then do something else.

My kid doesn't like baseball, he likes hockey, and if I told him he couldn't play in the summer he would be crushed. It's my son's decision, Not anyone else's decsion. Maybe next year he doesn't want to play. Thats up to him. :D
I agree 100%

We live in a relatively crappy association. My boys skate the season and spend countless hrs on the outdoor rink. I've had people try to tell me that I'M going to burn them out. I'm thinking: How am I burning them out when it its THEM who bug me constantly to go up to the town rink. It is them who bug me about summer hockey? I wonder if the burnout warnings come from people who are disappointed in the level of skill or level of commitment from their own kid... I don't know. It would seem from my personal experience in my association, that the people who give this warning, have kids with a moderate to slight interest in hockey and are below the curve in the skill area.

People have a right to their opinions.

"Too much" is relative to the family and the kids interest in hockey. I think I'll burn myself out before I'll burn my kids out on hockey.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

Outoftowner wrote:
This is nuts! wrote:Also, don't let anyone in this forum tell you what is good for your kid. If he wants to play in the summer let him, if he doesn't, then do something else.

I agree 100%

We live in a relatively crappy association. My boys skate the season and spend countless hrs on the outdoor rink. I've had people try to tell me that I'M going to burn them out. I'm thinking: How am I burning them out when it its THEM who bug me constantly to go up to the town rink. It is them who bug me about summer hockey? I wonder if the burnout warnings come from people who are disappointed in the level of skill or level of commitment from their own kid... I don't know. It would seem from my personal experience in my association, that the people who give this warning, have kids with a moderate to slight interest in hockey and are below the curve in the skill area.

People have a right to their opinions.

"Too much" is relative to the family and the kids interest in hockey. I think I'll burn myself out before I'll burn my kids out on hockey.
Well said!
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

jpiehl wrote:
Outoftowner wrote:
This is nuts! wrote: ...Snip....

While I can certainly see that you want him to witness the kids that may beat him out for a spot, that may not be realistic. If a coach already knows how a kid performs, there is no need have him come to tryouts. Yes, this is sometimes used as the good old boys network, but many times they already know the player is a high performer so they just want to concentrate on the kids out there to fill the holes without having a lot of other kids out there for no real purpose.

I understand.

I would say a coach like that has a pretty high view of their assessment capabilities ( and some maybe do).

I feel the most logical way to assess an rate players is to have them play against each other.

In this case, there is last years team and what I understand to be six new kids who are Selects players who do not have to tryout and then there are the rest of the kids.

I'm thinking that six more players would not be out of the realm of possibility to fit on the ice.

Once again, no offense to Selects parents here; these six kids maybe are REALLY good. If that is the case, then get them out on the ice to prove it along with the rest of the kids.

ETA- Another thing I'm wondering is that this team had a full roster last year. Are six kids being bumped off by these no-show Selects players? I would imagine they and their kids will be upset, if it happens and will ask the same questions I'm asking.

It would be a curious thing to have a great tryout and then be beat out of a position by the hope and expectation of a no-show player...

Thanks you guys!

I'll let you know how it turns out. :D
jpiehl

Post by jpiehl »

Outoftowner wrote:
jpiehl wrote:
Outoftowner wrote: That is what I'm hoping. Kids learn soon enough that there are a lot of politics in many areas of our lives. I'd hope to avoid that as long as possible as it concerns sports.

I understand.

I would say a coach like that has a pretty high view of their assessment capabilities ( and some maybe do).

I feel the most logical way to assess an rate players is to have them play against each other.

In this case, there is last years team and what I understand to be six new kids who are Selects players who do not have to tryout and then there are the rest of the kids.

I'm thinking that six more players would not be out of the realm of possibility to fit on the ice.

Once again, no offense to Selects parents here; these six kids maybe are REALLY good. If that is the case, then get them out on the ice to prove it along with the rest of the kids.

ETA- Another thing I'm wondering is that this team had a full roster last year. Are six kids being bumped off by these no-show Selects players? I would imagine they and their kids will be upset, if it happens and will ask the same questions I'm asking.

It would be a curious thing to have a great tryout and then be beat out of a position by the hope and expectation of a no-show player...

Thanks you guys!

Well, I'm not a selects parent so no offense there, I'm just another dad who has been around a while. I would hope that the coach is going off of more than the fact of them being selects, maybe he has seen them play on numerous occasions so he knows what he is getting. But maybe not. And if he is taking them sight unseen, you are likely better off if your kid isn't skating for that team anyway.

As far as kids getting bumped off, nobody knows the answer to that except the coach and any kids that it happened to. But I will say that in the early years of a team it is pretty common to have large numbers of kids moving around, it settles down a bit a few years in.

The reality of AAA is that they can make the team of whatever kids they want, for whatever reason they want, and it isn't always based on talent. After year one, it is rarely based on pure talent. A coach may want to hold on to some kids simply because he knows them and he knows the parents aren't going to cause him problems, while they may let some more talented players go because they are high maintenance. Different programs have different philosopies, and the high end programs generally have no problem letting a kid go if a better one comes along, the more 'community' based programs tend to have a bit more loyalty. But it is up to each team how they want to do things.

Good luck, hope it all turns out for you!
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

jpiehl wrote:
Outoftowner wrote:
jpiehl wrote: While I can certainly see that you want him to witness the kids that may beat him out for a spot, that may not be realistic. If a coach already knows how a kid performs, there is no need have him come to tryouts. Yes, this is sometimes used as the good old boys network, but many times they already know the player is a high performer so they just want to concentrate on the kids out there to fill the holes without having a lot of other kids out there for no real purpose.

I understand.

Thanks you guys!

Well, I'm not a selects parent so no offense there, I'm just another dad who has been around a while. I would hope that the coach is going off of more than the fact of them being selects, maybe he has seen them play on numerous occasions so he knows what he is getting. But maybe not. And if he is taking them sight unseen, you are likely better off if your kid isn't skating for that team anyway.

As far as kids getting bumped off, nobody knows the answer to that except the coach and any kids that it happened to. But I will say that in the early years of a team it is pretty common to have large numbers of kids moving around, it settles down a bit a few years in.

The reality of AAA is that they can make the team of whatever kids they want, for whatever reason they want, and it isn't always based on talent. After year one, it is rarely based on pure talent. A coach may want to hold on to some kids simply because he knows them and he knows the parents aren't going to cause him problems, while they may let some more talented players go because they are high maintenance. Different programs have different philosopies, and the high end programs generally have no problem letting a kid go if a better one comes along, the more 'community' based programs tend to have a bit more loyalty. But it is up to each team how they want to do things.

Thanks.

I'm basically trying to take a positive view of it. IF my kid is good enough, I hope he earns a spot.

I realize that I may be sounding a bit like a sour grapes parent and truly I don't intend on acting that way.

I'd hope that my little 9 year old has a positive outcome for giving his all.

If he doesn't make the team, I'll assume all the players are better and just encourage him that it's up to him if he wants to work harder to beat out a few kids next year. In the mean time we will look for something else.

Again, I'd prefer that he SEE the kids that beat him out... if it happens.
I mean at this point we don't even know If he made the team or not.

Thanks all, for the input and explaining "Selects" to me.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

jpiehl wrote: Well, I'm not a selects parent so no offense there, I'm just another dad who has been around a while. I would hope that the coach is going off of more than the fact of them being selects, maybe he has seen them play on numerous occasions so he knows what he is getting. But maybe not. And if he is taking them sight unseen, you are likely better off if your kid isn't skating for that team anyway.

Bingo... They can ask who ever they want and it doesn't have to be the best, most talented kids. Parents are also being selected so if your trouble it will reflect badly on your child ... and if the mom is hot that will reflect BETTER on jr.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
jpiehl wrote: Well, I'm not a selects parent so no offense there, I'm just another dad who has been around a while. I would hope that the coach is going off of more than the fact of them being selects, maybe he has seen them play on numerous occasions so he knows what he is getting. But maybe not. And if he is taking them sight unseen, you are likely better off if your kid isn't skating for that team anyway.

Bingo... They can ask who ever they want and it doesn't have to be the best, most talented kids. Parents are also being selected so if your trouble it will reflect badly on your child ... and if the mom is hot that will reflect BETTER on jr.

LOL! the hot mom comment!
hockeydad11

Post by hockeydad11 »

Outoftowner you should be called "out of touch". Sir you do not have clue. You are clearly a guy the goes which ever way the wind blows.
mnhockey2019

Post by mnhockey2019 »

My guess is that the tryout you attended today was the tryout for the 02 Legacy, since knowing the make up of that team and understanidng that the head coach is also coaching a team in the Selects, it would make sense that he has a number of his existing Legacy players on his Selects team. I don't think it is a big deal that a number of his existing players didn't show up at the tryout, and Outoftowner needs to understand that many of the AAA teams had tryouts last fall, so as other posters have said, teams are currently trying to fill any remaining spots. If it is Legacy and your son is asked to play, the head coach is a good coach and a good guy.
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

hockeydad11 wrote:Outoftowner you should be called "out of touch". Sir you do not have clue. You are clearly a guy the goes which ever way the wind blows.
OK... thank you for the off topic, personal attack.

Apparently my point of a fair tryout is outside your vocabulary...

Your kid didn't need to show up for try outs did he?

Have a wonderful day.