Peewee A State Tournament Brackets

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins It?

Hermantown
10%
MAML
3%
Lakeville South
24%
Eden Prairie
14%
STMA
3%
Elk River
17%
Prior Lake
26%
Osseo/Maple Grove
2%

Total votes: 58

Irish

Post by Irish »

With respect. D6 is the toughest district in the state.

It's hard to argue with EP's strength of schedule or Prior Lake. Look for Edina to take back next year.
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Irish wrote:With respect. D6 is the toughest district in the state.

It's hard to argue with EP's strength of schedule or Prior Lake. Look for Edina to take back next year.
Unfortunatly you are probably right, Edina had a 3 year run as State Champs. It's nice to have at least one year off :wink:
Monsterbuck1

Post by Monsterbuck1 »

GTTN wrote:
Monsterbuck1 wrote:
GTTN wrote: You must not have watch this kid much. He was one of the best goalies in the state LAST year. He is by far the best goalie in the state. PL has ridiculous fire power so losing to them a couple times isn't bad. If he has a good weekend they can definitely win state. EP doesn't dominate games but with the goalie and Middlestat and Sullivan they get their chances.

This kid was the only goalie who shut out PL this year...
OK GTTN - I will take your word for it, but why are there several top teams with GAA that are far superior to EP's? I realize EP has had a tough schedule but so have many of these teams. It would be really interesting to see the save percentage of all of these top programs. Many of them actually rotate their goalies. I happen to know one of them that is sub 1.70 for his team that did not make the State Tournament. I agree that the EP goalie is nice but may not be the top goalie in the state at this time. This is just simply my opinion.

GAA by team

LVS - 1.44
STMA - 1.73
PL - 1.87
ER - 2.03
Still - 2.17
OMG - 2.30
Cent - 2.58

EP - 2.92 ?????
Monster its called D6. EP has the hardest schedule in the state (look at myhockeyrankings). They played MTKA 6 times, Edina 5 times, Prior Lake 5 times. Not to mention other offensive power houses ER 5 times, LVS 3 times, OMG 3 times. I put the strength of schedule next to each teams GAA below like you mentioned before.

LVS - 1.44 - SOS 14.61
STMA - 1.73 - SOS 12.30
PL - 1.87 - SOS 15.05
ER - 2.03 - SOS 14.33
Still - 2.17 - SOS 14.55
OMG - 2.30 - SOS 15.20
Cent - 2.58 - SOS 14.55
EP - 2.92 - SOS 15.78 (EDI SOS 15.60, MTKA SOS 15.42)

4 out of the 5 teams that have a SOS in the 15's are in D6 (OMG is the other team).

I respect your opinion...which teams goalie is better?
OK - I'm a little biased - but I like the Stillwater goalies for example.

When playing top 10 teams:
EP - 3.96 GAA
SW - 3.99 GAA
When playing teams out of top 10:
EP - 1.87 GAA
SW - 1.48

The stats are very close when playing top teams. You honestly can't accurately compare goalies without save percentage data. A teams defensive style has a lot to do with the GAA. I'm sure there are other goalies that are pretty similiar. Again, I think the EP goalie is very strong but there is not big seperation of the top 10 goalies at the Peewee level. IMO.
offside14

Post by offside14 »

Monsterbuck1 wrote:
GTTN wrote:
Monsterbuck1 wrote: OK GTTN - I will take your word for it, but why are there several top teams with GAA that are far superior to EP's? I realize EP has had a tough schedule but so have many of these teams. It would be really interesting to see the save percentage of all of these top programs. Many of them actually rotate their goalies. I happen to know one of them that is sub 1.70 for his team that did not make the State Tournament. I agree that the EP goalie is nice but may not be the top goalie in the state at this time. This is just simply my opinion.

GAA by team

LVS - 1.44
STMA - 1.73
PL - 1.87
ER - 2.03
Still - 2.17
OMG - 2.30
Cent - 2.58

EP - 2.92 ?????
Monster its called D6. EP has the hardest schedule in the state (look at myhockeyrankings). They played MTKA 6 times, Edina 5 times, Prior Lake 5 times. Not to mention other offensive power houses ER 5 times, LVS 3 times, OMG 3 times. I put the strength of schedule next to each teams GAA below like you mentioned before.

LVS - 1.44 - SOS 14.61
STMA - 1.73 - SOS 12.30
PL - 1.87 - SOS 15.05
ER - 2.03 - SOS 14.33
Still - 2.17 - SOS 14.55
OMG - 2.30 - SOS 15.20
Cent - 2.58 - SOS 14.55

4 out of the 5 teams that have a SOS in the 15's are in D6 (OMG is the other team).

EP - 3.96 GAA
SW - 3.99 GAA
EP - 1.87 GAA
SW - 1.48

The stats are very close when playing top teams. You honestly can't accurately compare goalies without save percentage data. A teams defensive style has a lot to do with the GAA. I'm sure there are other goalies that are pretty similiar. Again, I think the EP goalie is very strong but there is not big seperation of the top 10 goalies at the Peewee level. IMO.
Agree GAA is more of a team stat than a goalie stat. To really compare apples to apples its save percentage that tells the tale. Any peewee goalie who can maintain a save percentage of .90 or better deserves big kudos. This is the age where players mature and become better than goalies, especially without contact, the quality and quantity of scoring opportunities make it very difficult for the goalies. As far as the EP goalie being the best by far think that is a stetch. I would say there is atleast 2 or 3 others that are right there with him and one of them is a first year peewee.
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

offside14 wrote:
Monsterbuck1 wrote:
GTTN wrote: Monster its called D6. EP has the hardest schedule in the state (look at myhockeyrankings). They played MTKA 6 times, Edina 5 times, Prior Lake 5 times. Not to mention other offensive power houses ER 5 times, LVS 3 times, OMG 3 times. I put the strength of schedule next to each teams GAA below like you mentioned before.

LVS - 1.44 - SOS 14.61
STMA - 1.73 - SOS 12.30
PL - 1.87 - SOS 15.05
ER - 2.03 - SOS 14.33
Still - 2.17 - SOS 14.55
OMG - 2.30 - SOS 15.20
Cent - 2.58 - SOS 14.55

EP - 3.96 GAA
SW - 3.99 GAA
EP - 1.87 GAA
SW - 1.48

Agree GAA is more of a team stat than a goalie stat. To really compare apples to apples its save percentage that tells the tale. Any peewee goalie who can maintain a save percentage of .90 or better deserves big kudos. This is the age where players mature and become better than goalies, especially without contact, the quality and quantity of scoring opportunities make it very difficult for the goalies. As far as the EP goalie being the best by far think that is a stetch. I would say there is atleast 2 or 3 others that are right there with him and one of them is a first year peewee.
If this is true I will pick which ever team this 1st year is on to win state next year :lol:
toeslapper

Post by toeslapper »

NO ONE WILL BEAT EDEN PRAIRIE. THEY HAVE THE BEST GOALIE IN THE BIG KID. EDEN PRAIRIE IS FINALLY AT FULL STRENGTH AND READY TO ROLL.

E.P. PLAYED A TOUGH SCHEDULE TO PREPARE FOR THIS TOURNAMENT. IT'S NOT WHERE YOU BEEN, IT'S WHERE YOUR GOING.

STATE CHAMPS YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.
HOCKEYlover1919

Post by HOCKEYlover1919 »

toeslapper wrote:NO ONE WILL BEAT EDEN PRAIRIE. THEY HAVE THE BEST GOALIE IN THE BIG KID. EDEN PRAIRIE IS FINALLY AT FULL STRENGTH AND READY TO ROLL.

E.P. PLAYED A TOUGH SCHEDULE TO PREPARE FOR THIS TOURNAMENT. IT'S NOT WHERE YOU BEEN, IT'S WHERE YOUR GOING.

And who's your kid on this "amazing" team of yours :lol:
Trout

Post by Trout »

I have to say... of course you all think D6 is the only district you are all in it!

I have seen every pee wee A team at least 3 times this year and d6 is good but PL is the only team with a team that stands out above the rest.

PL, OMG and LVS are a step above everyone else and I am not from any of those associations.

I would take every one of the next 6 to 8 teams and put them almost even (Edina, ER, Centennial, EP, Hermantown, Stillwater, Tonka and EP!) EP is not very deep, they have a few very good players and a good goalie but there are many teams deeper than they are and all the teams at this level have very good players.

You had 2 no brainer wins in Regions and that is a fact...It is not a long haul in that region, you needed 2 good wins out of 5 games, from here on out depth does matter! I doubt you beat LVS, Hermantown and PL in a row...not likely.

FYI ... The East was by far the toughest region with ALL teams in the top 20 and 2 of the top 3 (LVS and OMG)! That means anyone can beat you! Good Luck at State if you get hot you could win it all but I would say it is unlikely!
toeslapper

Post by toeslapper »

I HAVE NO KID ON EDEN PRAIRE. I JUST KNOW THAT GOALTENDING WINS PLAYOFF GAMES AND WHEN YOU HAVE THE BEST YOU HAVE A GREAT CHANCE. I REMEMBER A CERTAIN WILD TEAM THAT MADE IT TO THE WEST CON. FINALS WITH A SO SO TEAM BUT GREAT GOALTENDING.

YOU WILL ALL EAT CROW WHEN EDEN PRAIRE WINS STATE.

P.S. LAKEVILLE SOUTH IS OVERRATED, HERMANTOWN C'MON REALLY AND E.P. JUST TOOK PRIOR LAKE TO O.T.
Trout

Post by Trout »

You need to stop YELLING!

We will see...odds are they don't make it past the first round.

Have you seen Hermantown? Probably not, if you play PL 5 times you are bound to have a close game or two, we all know the goalie is good...but he isn't that much better than the rest and your team isn't deep enough to keep that many shots off him! Go ahead try to play your top line and a half against LVS...won't work. I am pretty sure he gave up 7 or 8 up north when you played them...and yes I do believe he played even if one or two of the other kids didn't.

Like i said, good luck if you get HOT you have a chance but that is whith any tourney.
toeslapper

Post by toeslapper »

Sorry cap lock was on and I was to lazy to take it off.

You are right we will see.

E.P. will prove all the doubters wrong.

p.s.

e.p. has #11, #14, #18, #15 which I would take over any other players in this tournament.
Monsterbuck1

Post by Monsterbuck1 »

toeslapper wrote:NO ONE WILL BEAT EDEN PRAIRIE. THEY HAVE THE BEST GOALIE IN THE BIG KID. EDEN PRAIRIE IS FINALLY AT FULL STRENGTH AND READY TO ROLL.

OK - I am officially sick and tired of hearing about the best goalie in the state! Is it because he's almost 6 ft tall and has a golden flow? He is solid but not the best in the state. You make him sound like Jimmy Jetland back in the day for crying out loud. If EP wins it all, it will not be because their goalie is great. It will have more to do with depth and all of their players stepping up to the plate. This is why I think Hermantown may schock us all.
Irish

Post by Irish »

Monsterbuck1 wrote:

OK - I am officially sick and tired of hearing about the best goalie in the state! Is it because he's almost 6 ft tall and has a golden flow? He is solid but not the best in the state. You make him sound like Jimmy Jetland back in the day for crying out loud. If EP wins it all, it will not be because their goalie is great. It will have more to do with depth and all of their players stepping up to the plate. This is why I think Hermantown may schock us all.
I disagree! If EP wins state it will be because of their goalie. A hot goalie can make a difference. Which goalie will play the best?
NCs

Post by NCs »

It’s no mystery that quality goal tending is paramount to winning a championship. Especially, given the offensive horse power headed to Alexandria next weekend. I’ve seen all of the qualifying teams play at least once and there are too many talented goalies in the mix to focus on just one kid. The truth of the matter is the Eagles have yet to ride great goaltending to a significant Sunday tournament win. Ex (i) PL beats EP in Duluth Tourney final (ii) Edina Tourney – EP loses to both ER and Edina on Sunday for a 4th place finish (iii) WBL Tourney – Centennial racks 8 in the first two periods of the semis and ER beats EP later in the day resulting in another 4th place finish.
Make no mistake, EP goaltender(s) are good. But, no evidence exists that the Eagles will ride goaltending to a Sunday Championship. If they did, it would be a first. For the sake of the 2-3 EP fans on the board, I hope history takes a detour for you next weekend.
Also…….Nobody cares about strength of schedule and GAA in March. There won’t be a “Yeah, but…… ” bracket in Alex. As luck, (or in some cases bad luck) would have it, he majority of the teams responsible for your award winning strength of schedule and subsequent inflated GAA are staying at the same hotel next weekend. You might go home on Saturday, but your precious SOS will increase. All believers in these stats will have to check with the tournament director to see how they intend to handicap each game to recognize the hardships endured throughout the season. Let me know what he says.
Best of luck to all the teams headed to Alexandria. Let’s hope the games are as unpredictable and entertaining as this whole season.
Monsterbuck1

Post by Monsterbuck1 »

NCs wrote:It’s no mystery that quality goal tending is paramount to winning a championship. Especially, given the offensive horse power headed to Alexandria next weekend. I’ve seen all of the qualifying teams play at least once and there are too many talented goalies in the mix to focus on just one kid. The truth of the matter is the Eagles have yet to ride great goaltending to a significant Sunday tournament win. Ex (i) PL beats EP in Duluth Tourney final (ii) Edina Tourney – EP loses to both ER and Edina on Sunday for a 4th place finish (iii) WBL Tourney – Centennial racks 8 in the first two periods of the semis and ER beats EP later in the day resulting in another 4th place finish.
Make no mistake, EP goaltender(s) are good. But, no evidence exists that the Eagles will ride goaltending to a Sunday Championship. If they did, it would be a first. For the sake of the 2-3 EP fans on the board, I hope history takes a detour for you next weekend.
Also…….Nobody cares about strength of schedule and GAA in March. There won’t be a “Yeah, but…… ” bracket in Alex. As luck, (or in some cases bad luck) would have it, he majority of the teams responsible for your award winning strength of schedule and subsequent inflated GAA are staying at the same hotel next weekend. You might go home on Saturday, but your precious SOS will increase. All believers in these stats will have to check with the tournament director to see how they intend to handicap each game to recognize the hardships endured throughout the season. Let me know what he says.
Best of luck to all the teams headed to Alexandria. Let’s hope the games are as unpredictable and entertaining as this whole season.
Well said NCs! Not bad bad for your 1st post. You must have been sitting back reading all of this silliness and decided enough is enough. I agree that stats don't matter much this time of the year. It is fun however to talk about the numbers a little. As we all know, Hockey is the ultimate team game. I'm pretty sure the State Championship will be awarded to the best TEAM not the best player in Alexandria.
ThePuckStopsHere

Oh Too Funny, :lol: Man this kid has the best marketing team I have ever seen on this blog. We have had this BS blown up our a$$ all year starting with the Velocity Tournament. Check those tournament stats he was middle of the class at best.

The best goalie in the tournament doesn't get pulled in a Centennial semifinal game in the Goheen tourney, the best goalie in the tourney doesn't give up a 9 spot to LVS in the Roseau tourney.

Go LVS!!!! :wink:
NCs

Post by NCs »

Monsterbuck1 wrote:
NCs wrote:It’s no mystery that quality goal tending is paramount to winning a championship. Especially, given the offensive horse power headed to Alexandria next weekend. I’ve seen all of the qualifying teams play at least once and there are too many talented goalies in the mix to focus on just one kid. The truth of the matter is the Eagles have yet to ride great goaltending to a significant Sunday tournament win. Ex (i) PL beats EP in Duluth Tourney final (ii) Edina Tourney – EP loses to both ER and Edina on Sunday for a 4th place finish (iii) WBL Tourney – Centennial racks 8 in the first two periods of the semis and ER beats EP later in the day resulting in another 4th place finish.
Well said NCs! Not bad bad for your 1st post. You must have been sitting back reading all of this silliness and decided enough is enough. I agree that stats don't matter much this time of the year. It is fun however to talk about the numbers a little. As we all know, Hockey is the ultimate team game. I'm pretty sure the State Championship will be awarded to the best TEAM not the best player in Alexandria.

I agree. Statistics can be entertaining. As a parent and/or coach, it's difficult not to get sucked into the fascination of the numbers. IMO, statistics in PW hockey have only one place: To prop up the parents and coaches after the latest loss and rationalize the "what ifs" or as I can them, "whiffs."

On the other hand, Spreadsheet Hockey is a slippery slope to a 13 yr old as data is tabulated, filtered and manipulated by an adult. Statistics serve only to plant an expected outcome in the young mind before the puck even drops (ie team A beat team B and team B beat team C. So, logically speaking, team A should beat team C). I have teenage kids and believe me, logic plays no role in their everyday life.

The State Championship will not be individually credited to (i) a goalie, (ii) a 90+ regular season goalie scorer (fyi - there are enough of those guys heading to Alexandria to make any goalie want to stay home) (iii) a coach or dare I say, (iv) a parent. I will guarantee one thing; the winning TEAM will get that little something extra from the kid who has waited all season to shine. Might only be one goal or one shift, but he'll step up!!!!

It makes for good theater. Cue the music any time.
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

You realize you are talking about a 13/14 year old kid, right? Good luck to all teams.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

hockey4ever wrote:You realize you are talking about a 13/14 year old kid, right? Good luck to all teams.
Yes they do, but that is how this bored is set up. To all the players, coaches, and parents, have a blast up in Alex. State tourney doesn't get much better.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

hockey4ever wrote:You realize you are talking about a 13/14 year old kid, right? Good luck to all teams.
My kid and a couple of his teammates are still only 11, no wonder he could not go the state this year. :cry: :cry:
mnhockeyguy77

Post by mnhockeyguy77 »

Monsterbuck1 wrote:

I have seen him play several times and watched many other goalies play; he seems to be a real special one. Rumors are flowing that he is already being looked at by the national development team and other junior programs.
If Ep wins state it is not solely because of him.. but it will be an extremely large factor. He does have the ability to carry/control the tempo of a game which is an extremely valuable asset to the team.
Also, big guns sullivan and middlestat need good showings along with Ep's strongest defensemen lieverman.
Hermmunster58

Post by Hermmunster58 »

Htown vs Elk River final. HT keeps it close but ER pulls away in 3rd for the championship. Sorry offsides STMA 2 and done. Just my opinion. Good luck all teams.
Monsterbuck1

Post by Monsterbuck1 »

mnhockeyguy77 wrote:
Monsterbuck1 wrote:

I have seen him play several times and watched many other goalies play; he seems to be a real special one. Rumors are flowing that he is already being looked at by the national development team and other junior programs.
If Ep wins state it is not solely because of him.. but it will be an extremely large factor. He does have the ability to carry/control the tempo of a game which is an extremely valuable asset to the team.
Also, big guns sullivan and middlestat need good showings along with Ep's strongest defensemen lieverman.
As a 53 old 1st time poster I am very disapointed in you MNhockey77. If there are actually scouts looking at an above average Peewee goalie in EP it must be the fact that they are looking at high end EP high school kids and were in the arena at the same time. Can we just talk about the teams and not individual players. I sure hope you're not related to this poor kid. PS - can you tell these scouts to get out of their home town and explore Minnesota? Best of luck in Alex'. PS - just havin' fun.
mnhockeyguy77

Post by mnhockeyguy77 »

Monsterbuck1 wrote:
mnhockeyguy77 wrote:
Monsterbuck1 wrote: OK - I am officially sick and tired of hearing about the best goalie in the state! Is it because he's almost 6 ft tall and has a golden flow? He is solid but not the best in the state. You make him sound like Jimmy Jetland back in the day for crying out loud. If EP wins it all, it will not be because their goalie is great. It will have more to do with depth and all of their players stepping up to the plate. This is why I think Hermantown may schock us all.

As a 53 old 1st time poster I am very disapointed in you MNhockey77. If there are actually scouts looking at an above average Peewee goalie in EP it must be the fact that they are looking at high end EP high school kids and were in the arena at the same time. Can we just talk about the teams and not individual players. I sure hope you're not related to this poor kid. PS - can you tell these scouts to get out of their home town and explore Minnesota? Best of luck in Alex'. PS - just havin' fun.

I'm sorry to hear your "disappointed".
But, no relation, just very impressed with his play I saw throughout the season.
And from what I heard they were at the game to watch him specifically.. regardless, we could bicker about that for hours but within 2-3 years (and post Select 15's) we will know more definitely what his future holds... and until then I think it will be worthless to argue about who's the "top goalie" in the state.

But yes... back to the tournament I suppose.
ThePuckStopsHere

mnhockeyguy77 wrote:
Monsterbuck1 wrote:
mnhockeyguy77 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear your "disappointed".
But, no relation, just very impressed with his play I saw throughout the season.
And from what I heard they were at the game to watch him specifically.. regardless, we could bicker about that for hours but within 2-3 years (and post Select 15's) we will know more definitely what his future holds... and until then I think it will be worthless to argue about who's the "top goalie" in the state.

But yes... back to the tournament I suppose.
Hopefully they did not see the Centennial game when he got yanked, or else he is going to play for the sisters of the poor lutheran blind college team :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enough with the sales pitch :roll: