OMG vs Stillwater...controversy at end

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cdale

Post by Cdale »

57special wrote:D6 Peewee rule is that a 5 minute fighting also gets a game misconduct on the scoresheet, but actually results in a 3 game suspension and a disciplinary hearing.
That's what I thought....and as a side note I'm pretty sure an OMGHA Bant B-1er received same suspension (3 games) for throwing punches vs Wayzata in Region final same day. He for sure through punches, was kicked out of game and I thought/heard it was a 3 gamer as well. http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... _Final.pdf
2good4u

Post by 2good4u »

lmao so glad this finally has gotten called on the city teams, i hate to break it to a lot of you but it really sucks listening to all the city parents scream and bicker when they come north, then their kids learn these wonderful habits from watching their parents, and now we have little soccer players on the ice who throw their hands up in the air when ever they fall and whine and scream for a penalty and swear at the refs when they don't get their way, then more than often the coaches join in and try to defend the player when they little twits get called for unsportsmanlike conduct or are given a misconduct for their language, glad this kid is out for the season, learn your lesson; shut up and get off the ice, your sh*t does stink and everyone sees it, it would also be nice to have all the hockey moms stop confronting the refs after the game to give them their opinion because nobody cares and you're really just upsetting the refs, in the end the refs got this right and the kid got what he deserved :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

2good4u wrote:lmao so glad this finally has gotten called on the city teams, i hate to break it to a lot of you but it really sucks listening to all the city parents scream and bicker when they come north, then their kids learn these wonderful habits from watching their parents, and now we have little soccer players on the ice who throw their hands up in the air when ever they fall and whine and scream for a penalty and swear at the refs when they don't get their way, then more than often the coaches join in and try to defend the player when they little twits get called for unsportsmanlike conduct or are given a misconduct for their language, glad this kid is out for the season, learn your lesson; shut up and get off the ice, your sh*t does stink and everyone sees it, it would also be nice to have all the hockey moms stop confronting the refs after the game to give them their opinion because nobody cares and you're really just upsetting the refs, in the end the refs got this right and the kid got what he deserved :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
And stay off my lawn you young city whippersnappers!
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

2good4u wrote:lmao so glad this finally has gotten called on the city teams, i hate to break it to a lot of you but it really sucks listening to all the city parents scream and bicker when they come north, then their kids learn these wonderful habits from watching their parents, and now we have little soccer players on the ice who throw their hands up in the air when ever they fall and whine and scream for a penalty and swear at the refs when they don't get their way, then more than often the coaches join in and try to defend the player when they little twits get called for unsportsmanlike conduct or are given a misconduct for their language, glad this kid is out for the season, learn your lesson; shut up and get off the ice, your sh*t does stink and everyone sees it, it would also be nice to have all the hockey moms stop confronting the refs after the game to give them their opinion because nobody cares and you're really just upsetting the refs, in the end the refs got this right and the kid got what he deserved :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I love that bad behavior by one kid becomes a "cities vs. up north" comparison! Of course there is never any such behavior by the outstate players or parents! Spare us the arrogance.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
I love that bad behavior by one kid becomes a "cities vs. up north" comparison! Of course there is never any such behavior by the outstate players or parents! Spare us the arrogance.
Perhaps ignorance is the correct word!
East Pee Wee

Post by East Pee Wee »

Interestingly I almost didn't start this post because I figured it might end up heading down a path such as this.

Overall that game had little to no controversy, the refs did a good job, the parents were good sports and the players played well. Some of the top Pee Wees in the state (Stillwater #8 is super strong on his skates and their goalie was great as well as OMG #6 and #3 who everyone has mentioned on here before). These two teams IMO would have both been very worthy state participants would have given PL a run for their money! Now not so much...

I overheard an OMG and Stillwater dad talking about their three 45 minute games being 9 to 9 with 1.5 minutes to go before OMG got that last goal then the EN goal. I also saw several talking, smiling with each other, as SWTR parent telling an OMG dad congrats and they deserved the win. A few bad moments don't make everyone a punk!

The fact is this has an impact on the State Tournament and like I said it was borderline IMO for this kid to get kicked out. I saw it as the Stillwater kid skated in his way and while he may have hit him on purpose it was not viscious by any means but he raised his arm and hit the pony (unfortunately it was in the head). If he had just bumped him in the shoulder it would have been over looked (he is taller for sure).

I am sure this kid learns from this, it is a tough punishment!
jackdaw

How many games is the suspension for, 1 or the whole tourney

Post by jackdaw »

East Pee Wee wrote:Interestingly I almost didn't start this post because I figured it might end up heading down a path such as this.

Overall that game had little to no controversy, the refs did a good job, the parents were good sports and the players played well. Some of the top Pee Wees in the state (Stillwater #8 is super strong on his skates and their goalie was great as well as OMG #6 and #3 who everyone has mentioned on here before). These two teams IMO would have both been very worthy state participants would have given PL a run for their money! Now not so much...

I overheard an OMG and Stillwater dad talking about their three 45 minute games being 9 to 9 with 1.5 minutes to go before OMG got that last goal then the EN goal. I also saw several talking, smiling with each other, as SWTR parent telling an OMG dad congrats and they deserved the win. A few bad moments don't make everyone a punk!

The fact is this has an impact on the State Tournament and like I said it was borderline IMO for this kid to get kicked out. I saw it as the Stillwater kid skated in his way and while he may have hit him on purpose it was not viscious by any means but he raised his arm and hit the pony (unfortunately it was in the head). If he had just bumped him in the shoulder it would have been over looked (he is taller for sure).

Has the suspension been determined and if so, for how many games?
silentbutdeadly3139

Re: How many games is the suspension for, 1 or the whole tou

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

jackdaw wrote:
East Pee Wee wrote:Interestingly I almost didn't start this post because I figured it might end up heading down a path such as this.

Not sure if its accurate but MN hockey report is reporting he is out for the entire tournament. If true then that will hurt them a LOT.

http://minnesotahockeyreport.com/2012/0 ... urnaments/
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

jackdaw wrote:

I guess we will all find out when the tournament begins next Friday; but I highly doubt an elbowing major will result in a multiple game suspension. Can't believe all the fuss being made over this...its not like the Stillwater player sustained any injury as a result of this "incident". Lets just wait and see...I mean we're talking about a 13 year old kid here.:idea:
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

hockey59 wrote:
jackdaw wrote:

I guess we will all find out when the tournament begins next Friday; but I highly doubt an elbowing major will result in a multiple game suspension. Can't believe all the fuss being made over this...its not like the Stillwater player sustained any injury as a result of this "incident". Lets just wait and see...I mean we're talking about a 13 year old kid here.:idea:
No one is making big deal about it. Just talking about if he was suspended because that would be tough not having best players able to play at state.
Dog77

Post by Dog77 »

Just heard that they rescinded the penalty, he has been reinstated to play in their first and all games at state.... :shock: :? :wink:
Monsterbuck1

Post by Monsterbuck1 »

Dog77 wrote:Just heard that they rescinded the penalty, he has been reinstated to play in their first and all games at state.... :shock: :? :wink:
I will preface this by saying - I'm a Stillwater parent and saw the incident. I am actually pleased to hear the decision. I would hate to have a child (that's what he is after all) miss out on such a great event such as the State Tournament. I hope that not only the player, but all players involved learn that there is no place in this game to be a poor sport. Hopefully bearing this cloud of shame over the past several days will change the player forever. After all, there are many life lessons that can be learned from the game of hockey. Good sportsmanship and fairplay are among the best lessons to be learned. Good luck SH and the OMG team. Play the game to win and play it with the highest integrity. It will serve you well now and into the future.
scoreandscoreoften

Post by scoreandscoreoften »

Not so sure I agree with the reinstatement. What's the message being sent here? That if it's an important event like the state tournament that you don't have to serve your penalty? If someone has enough pull you can have your penalty overturned?

Look what happened with the BSM kid. He gets kicked out of the game and his penalty he's gone. Can't go back out the ice to celebrate with his team or receive his medal. They don't let him back out on the ice because because it's a great event, and he'll miss being a part of it. That's part of the penalty.

I have mixed emotions about this, and I feel others must too. An awful lot of visits since the 1st post today. Maybe this will get the dialog going.
TheOctopus

Post by TheOctopus »

scoreandscoreoften wrote:Not so sure I agree with the reinstatement. What's the message being sent here? That if it's an important event like the state tournament that you don't have to serve your penalty? If someone has enough pull you can have your penalty overturned?

Look what happened with the BSM kid. He gets kicked out of the game and his penalty he's gone. Can't go back out the ice to celebrate with his team or receive his medal. They don't let him back out on the ice because because it's a great event, and he'll miss being a part of it. That's part of the penalty.

I have mixed emotions about this, and I feel others must too. An awful lot of visits since the 1st post today. Maybe this will get the dialog going.

Have to agree... Whats called on the ice stands no matter what the circumstances are. A player needs to be held accountable for his/her actions and in this case this player has been granted a pass. Not fair to those whos passes were not granted in similar circumstances.
East Pee Wee

Post by East Pee Wee »

Interesting that it was reversed. I worry a little about impact of that reversal.

I was there and saw it...my angle wasn't great so not sure how bad it really was... I do know the ref was right there and the ref was pretty mad at the time of the call. I hope they spent some time with him to get his input to make this decision. In the arena the Penalty was called "Misconduct with intent to injure".
If they didn't work with him on this reversal it surely will make him feel like "why should I make the call if they are not going to support me in making the call" "Screw you guys" (at least that is how I would feel!)

The questions I have are:
Who reversed it and how were they able to reverse it? Did someone have video of this to show some committee? Did the Stillwater coaches weigh in to help with this decision?

Just wondering. Not sure if the call was correct or not but once it is made I have some concerns about changing it and the impact overall.

Finally...MB - The only thing that was learned was that this kid can get punished, and then not have any consequences...JMO

Good Luck to OMG...they have life again!
57special

Post by 57special »

Same thing happened in D6. Player gets three games for fighting (clear cut, he decked a guy after whistle, then continued fracas... two minutes left and his team is up 5-0) ,yet serves only one rather meaningless game against a weak opponent. D6 caves under pressure from the coach. What is the message here?
u12dad

Post by u12dad »

East Pee Wee wrote:Interesting that it was reversed. I worry a little about impact of that reversal.

I was there and saw it...my angle wasn't great so not sure how bad it really was... I do know the ref was right there and the ref was pretty mad at the time of the call. I hope they spent some time with him to get his input to make this decision. In the arena the Penalty was called "Misconduct with intent to injure".
If they didn't work with him on this reversal it surely will make him feel like "why should I make the call if they are not going to support me in making the call" "Screw you guys" (at least that is how I would feel!)

The questions I have are:
Who reversed it and how were they able to reverse it? Did someone have video of this to show some committee? Did the Stillwater coaches weigh in to help with this decision?

Just wondering. Not sure if the call was correct or not but once it is made I have some concerns about changing it and the impact overall.

Finally...MB - The only thing that was learned was that this kid can get punished, and then not have any consequences...JMO

Good Luck to OMG...they have life again!
Could not agree more! It will be interesting to find out who made the decision: the same people (MN Hockey) that instituted the increase in severity of penalties for like kind infractions? So MN Hockey wants to stop this type of action and yet over rules a ref who was put in charge of making the call.
Then people wonder why refs don't want to ref- its like teachers, they have no authority when it is taken away by the whiners and the make-Johnny-feel-gooder's!
trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline »

Couldn't OMG scheduled a scrimmage before the tourney, and have the player serve his suspension?
bigpuckguy21

Post by bigpuckguy21 »

trippedovertheblueline wrote:Couldn't OMG scheduled a scrimmage before the tourney, and have the player serve his suspension?
Nope, only way that works is if the scrimmage was scheduled prior to when the incident happened.
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

bigpuckguy21 wrote:
trippedovertheblueline wrote:Couldn't OMG scheduled a scrimmage before the tourney, and have the player serve his suspension?
Nope, only way that works is if the scrimmage was scheduled prior to when the incident happened.
In District 10 it has to be a district game or a tournament game for the player to serve the suspension. If scrimmages are already scheduled or even if you schedule a scrimmage the player has to sit out but it does not count for his suspension.
scoreandscoreoften

If the "intent to injure" call is correct, this goes completely opposite of the message MN hockey is sending to make the game safer. I wonder what the MN hockey board thinks about this reversal. Anyone?

Maybe there's a logical explanation here. Anyone in the know care to explain?
not.the.one.to.gossip.but

OMG PLAYER

Post by not.the.one.to.gossip.but »

i know the kid. hes a very confident kid. but i also know hes not gonna let anyone get in his way. stillwater kid tried to sneek through the oncoming happy maple grove train after the goal. so it wasnt a " we are already losing 10-1 and have nothing else to lose might as weell cheaply deck a kid" maple grove was winning so its just a matter of " yeah! we just scored so get out of my way" after the game, kid felt extremely bad. not because he got suspended but for what came over him.
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Re: OMG PLAYER

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

not.the.one.to.gossip.but wrote:i know the kid. hes a very confident kid. but i also know hes not gonna let anyone get in his way. stillwater kid tried to sneek through the oncoming happy maple grove train after the goal. so it wasnt a " we are already losing 10-1 and have nothing else to lose might as weell cheaply deck a kid" maple grove was winning so its just a matter of " yeah! we just scored so get out of my way" after the game, kid felt extremely bad. not because he got suspended but for what came over him.
Sounds like the kid didn't learn his lesson and that the suspension should have stuck. If a player on my team ever did this even if he was the best kid on the team he would still be suspended and watching from the stands. Arrongance like this will not get this kid anywhere in life.
scoreandscoreoften

I'm sure the kid is a good kid, and maybe he learned a lesson. But I'm still concerned with the message this is sending kids, coaches, teams, associations, districts. The more I think about this, the more concerned I get. The more questions I have. Like if this was a third line kid or a fifth or sixth D man, would there be a reversal? This kind of stuff is why some people want out of association hockey. The politics, the double standards.

There have been over 300 visits to this subject since I last posted, and 2 posts. Looks like nobody wants to touch this with a 10ft. pole. Where are all the regular posters? Muck, Clown, Bo, Elliot, Inigo, and the rest. Don't tell me you don't have an opinion, pro or con. Lets hear from some of you people.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

no horse in the race; this topic should be done. I hope he scores 20 goals this weekend, the kid--he's a kid--has been vilified enough by people who don't have anything better to do. If it was as bad as some say/think, the Stillwater players will have 7 seasons to get SH back....but it sounds like a soccer penalty...very little contact and everyone going batsh*% about nothing. I really think its the posters here who have made it a mission to sound like experts on the matter. Good luck SH and all others this weekend at your respective state tournaments. GB