OMG vs Stillwater...controversy at end

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

East Pee Wee

OMG vs Stillwater...controversy at end

Post by East Pee Wee »

I have an East Side A Pee Wee kid so we decided now that our season was over we would go see a game and ... and we saw a great game last night between 2 very good Pee Wee teams. Either could have made some noise at state now I believe neither will!

Game was awesome, OMG controlled first but Stillwater goalie was AWESOME and kept them in it. 1 - 0 OMG after 1. 2nd period started like the first but Stillwater picked it up with about 10 min left and the game was basically even after that 1-1 after 2.

3rd period was CRAZY. about 8 min left OMG gets a break as the Stillwater goalie misplayed a dump in and scored. Stillwater comes back and scores on a shot from the circle off the OMG defenseman stick. With 3 min left OMG picks the pocket of the stillwater defenseman at the side of the net and scores. Stillwater back with a a score great move out of the corner 3-3 2 min left. Then stillwater pressuring again right off the faceoff and all 3 forwards get caught low and the puck pops out to the OMG stud defenseman and he takes it end to end and scores. 4 -3 1:30 left. Pulled goalie and an empty net goal, great game by both sides.

Then the unthinkable happens, the OMG scorer and a stillwater player cross in front of the stillwater bench the OMG player raises his elbow and hits the stillwater kid in the head putting him down then chirps at stillwater bench (as all the kids seem to do these days) and goes to fist bump his teamates. The hit was not viscious but definately happened and it was right in front of the ref. The ref was FURIOUS! He then called a game misconduct with intent to injure and now the OMG player is out for the first game of the state tourney. This kids is their best forward! Without him I believe they have no chance at beating PL in game one of the state tourney.

Unfortunate ending. In the lobby outside there were some somber faces on both sides, Stillwater losing and OMG because they now know their chances are drastically reduced at state! It was interesting, even several Stillwater people felt it was overkill for the player to be gone for the first game at state, however they seemed more frustrated with the fact that after the game the when the kids number was called to recognize all the players the stillwater kids were going over and shaking the OMG kids hands and this kid who was ejected started to skate out to shake hand but only went half way and skated back leaving the stillwater kid out there to congratulate him standing alone. Poor judgement agian, didn't look good.

Very tough lesson to learn!
Hoc2x21

Re: OMG vs Stillwater...controversy at end

Post by Hoc2x21 »

East Pee Wee wrote:I have an East Side A Pee Wee kid so we decided now that our season was over we would go see a game and ... and we saw a great game last night between 2 very good Pee Wee teams. Either could have made some noise at state now I believe neither will!

Game was awesome, OMG controlled first but Stillwater goalie was AWESOME and kept them in it. 1 - 0 OMG after 1. 2nd period started like the first but Stillwater picked it up with about 10 min left and the game was basically even after that 1-1 after 2.

3rd period was CRAZY. about 8 min left OMG gets a break as the Stillwater goalie misplayed a dump in and scored. Stillwater comes back and scores on a shot from the circle off the OMG defenseman stick. With 3 min left OMG picks the pocket of the stillwater defenseman at the side of the net and scores. Stillwater back with a a score great move out of the corner 3-3 2 min left. Then stillwater pressuring again right off the faceoff and all 3 forwards get caught low and the puck pops out to the OMG stud defenseman and he takes it end to end and scores. 4 -3 1:30 left. Pulled goalie and an empty net goal, great game by both sides.

Then the unthinkable happens, the OMG scorer and a stillwater player cross in front of the stillwater bench the OMG player raises his elbow and hits the stillwater kid in the head putting him down then chirps at stillwater bench (as all the kids seem to do these days) and goes to fist bump his teamates. The hit was not viscious but definately happened and it was right in front of the ref. The ref was FURIOUS! He then called a game misconduct with intent to injure and now the OMG player is out for the first game of the state tourney. This kids is their best forward! Without him I believe they have no chance at beating PL in game one of the state tourney.

Unfortunate ending. In the lobby outside there were some somber faces on both sides, Stillwater losing and OMG because they now know their chances are drastically reduced at state! It was interesting, even several Stillwater people felt it was overkill for the player to be gone for the first game at state, however they seemed more frustrated with the fact that after the game the when the kids number was called to recognize all the players the stillwater kids were going over and shaking the OMG kids hands and this kid who was ejected started to skate out to shake hand but only went half way and skated back leaving the stillwater kid out there to congratulate him standing alone. Poor judgement agian, didn't look good.

My hat is off to the ref for getting this right. I am sick and tired of all of these little chirping punk kids pulling these types of things and not being punished for it.
Its unfortunate the kid misses the 1st round of state but showing poor sportsmanship once again during the handshake just proves he needs an education in respect and good sportsmanship.
[-X
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

I agree.

I actually wish the kid was out for the whole tournament.
Then, maybe he would really learn his lesson.
Maybe...
KICKED-IN-THE-PRIVATES

Re: OMG vs Stillwater...controversy at end

Post by KICKED-IN-THE-PRIVATES »

East Pee Wee wrote:I have an East Side A Pee Wee kid so we decided now that our season was over we would go see a game and ... and we saw a great game last night between 2 very good Pee Wee teams. Either could have made some noise at state now I believe neither will!

It's not unthinkable, seen it several times at youth and varsity levels. Hooray for the Ref for doing his job!!! First I've heard of the Ref doing the right thing.

It's a great lesson for ALL the kids involved! You make a poor decision, be ready to suffer the consequences....
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Another great bi-product of the classy Blades organization :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tenoverpar

blades

Post by Tenoverpar »

Blades...really, this kid is a product of his PARENTS you idiot.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

I think T. Bianchi and Prior Lake would have handled OMG regardless whether or not he played.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

And stay off my grass you young whippersnappers!
Knowyourrole

Post by Knowyourrole »

I know this doesn't have to do with OMG but you see the same thing all over. I was up in the North Region Peewee A and a kid from Hermantown scores a goal and after skating by his bench goes by and salutes coaches from Centennial. No class at all from Hermantown but after hearing there parents complain about every offsides, penalty, or any call at all I see where the kids would get it. It was actually funny to see one group of Hermantown fans that seem normal on 1 side cheering and the other group off loud mouths from Hermantown on the other side I'm guessing even the normal parents don't like hearing it. They do have a very talented group but there going to get a bad rap for a group of about 6-8 fans that were at the games.
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Knowyourrole wrote:I know this doesn't have to do with OMG but you see the same thing all over. I was up in the North Region Peewee A and a kid from Hermantown scores a goal and after skating by his bench goes by and salutes coaches from Centennial. No class at all from Hermantown but after hearing there parents complain about every offsides, penalty, or any call at all I see where the kids would get it. It was actually funny to see one group of Hermantown fans that seem normal on 1 side cheering and the other group off loud mouths from Hermantown on the other side I'm guessing even the normal parents don't like hearing it. They do have a very talented group but there going to get a bad rap for a group of about 6-8 fans that were at the games.
Bitter Party of One, Bitter Party of One :lol:

We should all be as classy as Centennial :shock:
Knowyourrole

Post by Knowyourrole »

I didn't say anything about how classy Centennial was.. I have no problem with celebrating a goal but to rub into another team I think is classless. If my kid did that I would have something to say to him also.
Knowyourrole

Post by Knowyourrole »

Also Elk River kicked the crap out of us and scored lots of goals and celebrated but I didn't mention them or there fans being classless. This was 1 kid and a few fans that acted like that.
Chandler23

Post by Chandler23 »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote: We should all be as classy as Centennial :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:
Knowyourrole wrote:I know this doesn't have to do with OMG but you see the same thing all over. I was up in the North Region Peewee A and a kid from Hermantown scores a goal and after skating by his bench goes by and salutes coaches from Centennial. No class at all from Hermantown but after hearing there parents complain about every offsides, penalty, or any call at all I see where the kids would get it. It was actually funny to see one group of Hermantown fans that seem normal on 1 side cheering and the other group off loud mouths from Hermantown on the other side I'm guessing even the normal parents don't like hearing it. They do have a very talented group but there going to get a bad rap for a group of about 6-8 fans that were at the games.
Bitter Party of One, Bitter Party of One :lol:

We should all be as classy as Centennial :shock:
Perhaps what he's saying its not an association but societal problem that's not corrected by parents. You see it everywhere, Hermantown, Centennial etc. Team down by bunch but they score and celebrate like they scored the game winner, happens from mites thru HS and in every sport. I can see some celebration but it's over the top.
MegaMan

Post by MegaMan »

Typical Maple Grove kid.....
woodstickguy

Post by woodstickguy »

We played Hermantown in Bemidji. They by far have the worst fans we have seen this year - loud and rude. Forced several of our parents to have to move to the other side of the rink. I can't say much for the coaches and players either because after we jumped out to an early lead, they called a timeout then ran our goalie trying to knock him out of the game. Fortunately he was OK after a ten minute delay. They were so intent on hitting our kids they forgot to play the game and it cost them in the end.
jackdaw

Doesn't Surprise Me!

Post by jackdaw »

MegaMan wrote:Typical Maple Grove kid.....
I saw the same behavior from the OMG kids earlier in the season at the EP Tournament. Unbelievably bad behavior after the game in which they tied; parents were not any better. It sounds like the feather doesn't fall too far from the nest. Coaches must also be commending the behavior if it is still going on.
MegaMan

Re: Doesn't Surprise Me!

Post by MegaMan »

jackdaw wrote:
MegaMan wrote:Typical Maple Grove kid.....
I saw the same behavior from the OMG kids earlier in the season at the EP Tournament. Unbelievably bad behavior after the game in which they tied; parents were not any better. It sounds like the feather doesn't fall too far from the nest. Coaches must also be commending the behavior if it is still going on.
Completely agree, the behavior at the Bantam A level from the parents and the players after their loss to rosemount in regions was incredibly disrespectful and unacceptable...

Post by 2112 »

Ossie Ossie Ossie Oh Oh Oh !!!! Ossie Ossie Ossie Oh Oh Oh!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hockey59

OMG vs. Stillwater

Post by hockey59 »

I wasn't at the game (and I'm not from OMG) but I do know the kid who's actions at the end of the game have been commented on. If you were AT THE GAME and you have comments regarding what you observed, that has some validity...but what I get a kick out of...are the chowders...who jump on this thread and make off-base comments about a game they didn't attend...and a kid they don't know.

My son played on the same team last summer with this kid...he is a great kid and one of the most personable kids I've ever met in the years I've been involved with youth hockey.

And yes...I do realize some chowder's come on here to make flip comments because they think they are witty or funny...which they are neither.
IMHO

Re: OMG vs. Stillwater

Post by IMHO »

hockey59 wrote:And yes...I do realize some chowder's come on here to make flip comments because they think they are witty or funny...which they are neither.
Please, leave MegaMan out of this.

8)
Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 »

hockey59 wrote:I wasn't at the game (and I'm not from OMG) but I do know the kid who's actions at the end of the game have been commented on. If you were AT THE GAME and you have comments regarding what you observed, that has some validity...but what I get a kick out of...are the chowders...who jump on this thread and make off-base comments about a game they didn't attend...and a kid they don't know.

My son played on the same team last summer with this kid...he is a great kid and one of the most personable kids I've ever met in the years I've been involved with youth hockey.

And yes...I do realize some chowder's come on here to make flip comments because they think they are witty or funny...which they are neither.
Elmer Fud says some people are "witty funny". :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Irish

Post by Irish »

hockey59 wrote:I wasn't at the game (and I'm not from OMG) but I do know the kid who's actions at the end of the game have been commented on. If you were AT THE GAME and you have comments regarding what you observed, that has some validity...but what I get a kick out of...are the chowders...who jump on this thread and make off-base comments about a game they didn't attend...and a kid they don't know.

Hockey59- I don't doubt he's a great kid. I've spoke with one of the parents and he pretty much paints the same picture. With that said there's a reason trouble follows certain players. See it all the time.

Regardless of what happened in Eden Prairie he needed to learn from his mistake and the coach needed to take care of business. Even though it doesn't sound like a cheap shot by any means it wasn't called for.

Look on the bright side. If OMG loses to PL they have an excuse. :wink:
MegaMan

Post by MegaMan »

Ok, i might have worded that a little strongly, I WAS at the game, and saw the ending, what he did was a little immature. I was more focusing on the parents. It is one thing for the kids on the ice to be disrespectful, but for the adults in the stands, that makes me quite upset
57special

Post by 57special »

D6 Peewee rule is that a 5 minute fighting also gets a game misconduct on the scoresheet, but actually results in a 3 game suspension and a disciplinary hearing.