Bantam B1 State Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:WOW. A #1 ranking for an A team playing B...what a great accomplishment...they should have won (that is what they were after when they decided to play B)

Again, I'm not bitter. Just sick of associations chasing trophy's by making poor development decisions like this one and then treating it like it was a great idea.

No real suprise that it is a team from Duluth...trying to hold on to that "up north" winning tradition.
Not even just a little bitter? There was a long thread last year about OMG Crimson's B1A team and there tiered Bantam approach in the interest of development. It's okay for the big associations to make "development" decisions, but not the small ones? Three one goal wins and you're bitching because they didn't play A? I suspect that the "development" of the kids was better served at B1.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Way to go DD! I think this is the best story at all levels of the state tournament. Congrats Denfield anyone associated with this run will have memories for a lifetime!
shooter803

Post by shooter803 »

Great season Duluth Denfeld - awsome job developing the players this season & great run to take home the championship!
Tcmd

Post by Tcmd »

Denfeld had 22 skaters and 4 goalies for try outs, mading 2 teams of 11 and 2 goalies for each team at the Bamtam level. Hard to make an A team with that number of kids. All Denfeld need to get to the state tournament was Heart. Why not us
Blah blah

Post by Blah blah »

Congratulation to the Denfeld Hunters Bantam B team for winning state this year!!! When u come from an area who has a small feeder program to make up your teams( remember we coach them but Marshall still can swipe them)!!! So when u got 22 kids trying out and 4 goalies!!! It's pretty hard to make an A team when u split them into two teams!!! The Denfeld boys have came along way since the beginning of the year!!! They have had road blocks that they overcame with the injuries!! We r very proud of our coaching staff and the boys!!!
Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon »

Metro people need to quit whining over the lack of an A team at Denfield. Fact is that Edina, Wayzata, and OMGHA cut over 60-70 kids from their top B1 teams. There were probably more legitimate Bantam A players on each of those teams than what DD had.

DD got hot at the right time, rode a hot goalie, and beat the top two teams in state to win the championship. A truly outstanding accomplishment.
goaliemonkey3035

Post by goaliemonkey3035 »

first game DD 21 shots EGF 35 shots
second game DD 29 shots Wayzata 42 shots
third game DD 15 shots OMG 44 shots

each game ended 2-1 maybe the goal tending had something to do with the out come of the game.

what would your organization do with only 22 skaters
Little King

Denfeld

Post by Little King »

For the people who are whining about Duluth Denfeld winning the B1 State tournament. Have you watched the team play? They have 1 A level player IMO, and that is their goalie. Without their goalie they lose most games by 3 or more goals. I am not discrediting this team, it is a great story, but in no way should DD have played at the A level, without their goalie, they would have been hard pressed to play at the B level.

Congrats to Denfeld, they did what they had to do to win a state championship!
silentbutdeadly3139

Re: Denfeld

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

Little King wrote:For the people who are whining about Duluth Denfeld winning the B1 State tournament. Have you watched the team play? They have 1 A level player IMO, and that is their goalie. Without their goalie they lose most games by 3 or more goals. I am not discrediting this team, it is a great story, but in no way should DD have played at the A level, without their goalie, they would have been hard pressed to play at the B level.

Last I heard the goalie is part of the team :D
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

Little King wrote:For the people who are whining about Duluth Denfeld winning the B1 State tournament. Have you watched the team play? They have 1 A level player IMO, and that is their goalie. Without their goalie they lose most games by 3 or more goals. I am not discrediting this team, it is a great story, but in no way should DD have played at the A level, without their goalie, they would have been hard pressed to play at the B level.

Have YOU watched DD play?
You make it sound like the goalie scored a few between making saves.
DD has several kids who would be justified on an A team roster. They are a young group, which would typically struggle against teams who are heavy with 2nd year players. That they handled those kinds of teams is a good indicator that they have more than one A level player on the roster. Give the TEAM some credit.
Tcmd

Post by Tcmd »

Have YOU watched DD play?
You make it sound like the goalie scored a few between making saves.
DD has several kids who would be justified on an A team roster. They are a young group, which would typically struggle against teams who are heavy with 2nd year players. That they handled those kinds of teams is a good indicator that they have more than one A level player on the roster. Give the TEAM some credit.[/quote]

Handle what kind of teams, It is not like they came there and blue all the teams out of the water. It was a one goal different on all the games, with one game going into overtime.
So if Denfeld is a A team, they beat the Best A teams in that tournament.
That's what you are saying,
look at Denfelds games in Districts and Regional no Blow outs games 2 to 1 games most ending in overtime.
what was the scores in your Districts and Regional. Blow outs
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

Tcmd wrote:
Handle what kind of teams, It is not like they came there and blue all the teams out of the water. It was a one goal different on all the games, with one game going into overtime.
So if Denfeld is a A team, they beat the Best A teams in that tournament.
That's what you are saying,
look at Denfelds games in Districts and Regional no Blow outs games 2 to 1 games most ending in overtime.
what was the scores in your Districts and Regional. Blow outs
Just what do you think "MY" districts and regionals were? I was pulling for Denfeld the whole way through so they were my horse in the race.

I am not putting down Denfeld kids. On the contrary, I am giving them a hell of a lot more credit than that poster did. I think you are reading my meaning of HANDLE wrong.

The gap between 1st year to 2nd year bantams can be huge, so teams made up of primarily 2nd year players tend to be stronger. Denfeld was able to compete with those teams, through the course of the entire season, even though they had a younger squad. That to me says that they have some A caliber players besides just the goalie. If you think I was putting a knock on DD, go back and read my other posts. I have known most of those kids since they were mites, and there is some talent in that group. A group of "barely B players" as that poster put it, would not win state, no matter how good the goalie is.

With the numbers situation there, I totally understand their reasoning for playing B1 this year. There were too many question marks going into the season. Winning the championship had a hell of a lot to do with the kids hard work, development and very good coaching. I would expect that if the eligible players all return next year, they will move back up to the A level.
Tcmd

Post by Tcmd »

Sorry my bad..... Miss read.....
hockeymom1997

Duluth Denfeld Bantam B State Championships

Post by hockeymom1997 »

Coming from a mom...I have a hard time with people who have no idea what this team has gone through this year to get where it is commenting. There was a VERY big incident that happened to this team in the beginning of the year that resulted in a player (on an already small team) being taken off the team. This team skated with 3 defensmen and 2 centers for 98% of their games due to an injury to one of their better players. Sometimes, due to illness, we skated with less than 10 players. The thing that sets this team apart isn't wether they are "A" players or "B" players. Its the fact that they came together as a TEAM. I have never seen anything like it. They have a great relationship with each other and the parents all get along. How do you like that?! How often do you have something like this happen in our sport? Our boys worked harder than anything I have ever seen before. I don't know about where you are from...but in West Duluth we tell our kids: "Work hard and you will be rewarded." They did, and have EVERYTHING to be proud of. So perhaps if you don't know the whole story you should just congratulate the team who won. It wasn't a fluke. They played the same amount of games as everybody else and came out on top more times than not with a lot fewer resources than 90% of other hockey associations out there. So yeah, be bitter, while we celebrate a hard earned State Championship with a great group of kids and parents. :D
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

When I heard the outcome of the final...I was very excited (nothing against OMG), but because I had been following them all year.

A friend from Superior in December told me, "watch out for Denfeld in BB1...they may make it to state.." So i added them to my database of BB1 teams. Almost to the day I started following them, they started winning almost every game. By early February they were in our T10.

Coming out of a very tough district and even tougher region, I thought eventually they would get worn out...skating 11 kids is almost impossible at that age.

So when they won, i was excited for what they accomplished and didn't care what trophy they were chasing and how many kids were in their association. They won state...give them the credit they deserve.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

I guess someone better make the call to SI.....we have a new cover story
puckhead58

Post by puckhead58 »

Dang.....tough crowd in here
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

I have noticed over the past few years that it really does not matter what association wins the state tournament at the B1 Pee Wee or B1 Bantam level. There is always an excuse as to why this team shouldn't have won the tournament. I give all the credit to DD for winning this tournament and working hard and winning the tournament.
hockeymom1997

Post by hockeymom1997 »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:I guess someone better make the call to SI.....we have a new cover story
You are NOT a nice man. Saying anything else to a grumpy old man would be a waste of my time. Have a good day. Signed...STILL celebrating! :D
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

hockeymom1997 wrote:
oldschoolpuckster wrote:I guess someone better make the call to SI.....we have a new cover story
You are NOT a nice man. Saying anything else to a grumpy old man would be a waste of my time. Have a good day. Signed...STILL celebrating! :D
Way too kind - the guy is an idiot. The loaded A team from an association with 20 players beat the poor defenseless B1A teams from Wayzaa and OMG (both with over 100 Bantam players). Shame that the DD board wasn't smart enough to call the experts to find out how they should develop their players. Then they would have played A and gotten beat 15-0 and had so much more fun.