Difference Between Junior $99 and $299 Skates?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sunsetcliffs98

Difference Between Junior $99 and $299 Skates?

Post by Sunsetcliffs98 »

My Mite is close to needing his second pair of skates. The first were cheap Bauer Vapor 2.0 for something like $79.00. He will probably jump into the "junior" category of skates where I noticed a healthy jump in price. If you take for example the Bauer Extreme skate that I see every other kid wearing there are like 7 models ranging in price from $59 to $379.

What's the difference???!!!!!!!
edgeless2

Re: Difference Between Junior $99 and $299 Skates?

Post by edgeless2 »

Sunsetcliffs98 wrote:My Mite is close to needing his second pair of skates. The first were cheap Bauer Vapor 2.0 for something like $79.00. He will probably jump into the "junior" category of skates where I noticed a healthy jump in price. If you take for example the Bauer Extreme skate that I see every other kid wearing there are like 7 models ranging in price from $59 to $379.

What's the difference???!!!!!!!
I'm no expert but $379-$79=$300 difference. Just kidding, I couldn't resist because 2 of my kids just breached the size 6 albatross which took the skates from $200-$250 up to the $500 area and it's very frustrating.
PWD10

Post by PWD10 »

As I read your comments I was reminded of the article this week in Lets Play Hockey about concerns for the future of hockey... Here is a link to it http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online-ed ... rt-ii.html
Costs were one of the big concerns.. Wait till you go from the Junior to Seniors....talk about sticker shock...

I don't think with regards to limiting the high end sticks per the article will work but I could be wrong. Tried going the wood route and they just don;t last or stand up very well to kids with good upper body strength. In fact they maybe more dangerous if you ask me. Nothing like getting a eye or face full of high impact wood shards coming at you on a slapshot.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Wow! That's a real doom-and-gloom article. It portrays the decline of hockey in the leading area for the sport in our country. What does that mean for the rest of us!?
Be kind. Rewind.
trev2k1

Post by trev2k1 »

our family usually leases skates from stores(hockey zone).
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

depends on how much you are skating. If he is on the ice every day buy a better quality pair. The steel is better and materials used will last longer, but by no means does he need the total one or reebok 20's the next price point line will tackle most young players needs.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Take him into a reputable store (e.g. Hockey Zone, Letterman's, Total Hockey, SportsWorldUSA) where someone knows what he's (or she's) talking about. They'll talk to the kid, they'll talk to you, they'll recommend a skate based on his use, his size, his skating style, etc. and put him in the right size. Other than having the wrong coach, having the wrong skates is most detrimental to the kids skating development.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

someplace in the middle is usually safe

if you go the bauer route somewhere around the X5.0 is where they start using the LS2 steel which is a little better (holds an edge better).

I know kids skating on X2.0 & 3.0's, who skate pretty well in them.

most of the major brands are pretty darn good down to $100 or so.
observer

Post by observer »

The most common mistake is going for the top of the line with any brand. The top of the line skates are made for 6'5", 220 pound NHL players not squirts. The kids want the top model, because some friends already have them, but it's not a good decision as the little players can't flex the boot. They look like they're skating in ski boots. 2-3 models down from the top will be a better performing skate for youth players. The retailer won't always give the best advice as they like selling $599 skates.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

black sheep wrote:
if you go the bauer route somewhere around the X5.0 is where they start using the LS2 steel which is a little better (holds an edge better).
As a skate sharpener, I just want to point out:

This is a silly criteria. Any skate you're looking at will have stainless steel blades unless you're looking at goalie or figure skates. The LS2 is just shaped differently to (supposedly) limit rockering through dozens of hand-sharpenings.

Whether one stainless blade "holds an edge" longer than another is not a distinguishing factor between $150 and $300 skates. With ANY blade, you should sharpen every 3 hours. (More often if skating outdoors).

Skates today are built so much better than they were 30 years ago. Everything but the lowest price points is just fine for most youth players. A real stud who is on the ice for 70 hours this coming summer might want a high performance skate, but I'd never spend $500 on skates until the feet stop growing. In the $300 range, there are skates that have exactly the same tech and performance as skates at 3X the price. Just not the coolest and most extreme "APX" NAME stamped on it.

This, BTW, is true in almost ALL sports. Technology migrates downward. Todays "Crazy Light" will be tomorrow's average skate. The top end skates are high cost and low margin to help pay for the new tech or styling, and next year the same tech will trickle down... in literally just one year.

IMO, the real value is in the mid- to upper-mid models. Unless you're a person with the irrational desire to have the latest greatest and most expensive RIGHT NOW, I'd save the extra $200 for the next stick.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

PWD10 wrote:In fact they maybe more dangerous if you ask me. Nothing like getting a eye or face full of high impact wood shards coming at you on a slapshot.
Umm... just wanted to point out that carbon fibers are WAY more dangerous and toxic. But I have never seen a kid come off the ice complaining about slivers in his face from either kind of stick.

And I'd argue that for kids wood shafts break far less often because there's a lower limit to how flexible wood can be -- never the flex 30 or 40 you see in many youth composites. My kid has NEVER broken a wooden shaft but he broke about a dozen composites in the year he transitioned from youth to junior sticks. (He plays more with the composites but often does use wooden sticks for shinny and practice.)
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Shinbone_News wrote: With ANY blade, you should sharpen every 3 hours. (More often if skating outdoors).
Shin, I agree with everything you've said except the part about incredibly frequent sharpenings. I like dull skates and my son does too.
Be kind. Rewind.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

O-townClown wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote: With ANY blade, you should sharpen every 3 hours. (More often if skating outdoors).
Shin, I agree with everything you've said except the part about incredibly frequent sharpenings. I like dull skates and my son does too.
I sharpen skates also and believe their is signifigance differnce between the LS2 steel and the SSS. To each his own I guess. Both are fine at any rate. I buy LS2.

OTC - if you like duller skates you should try a shallower grind. Not sure what you guys are on but 1/2 or 5/8.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

black sheep wrote:OTC - if you like duller skates you should try a shallower grind. Not sure what you guys are on but 1/2 or 5/8.
1/2"

I don't get them done so long as they don't have bad nicks or bare patches.

Possible that our indoor ice is softer than what you find in a Minnesota winter.
Be kind. Rewind.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

O-townClown wrote:
black sheep wrote:OTC - if you like duller skates you should try a shallower grind. Not sure what you guys are on but 1/2 or 5/8.
1/2"

Possible that our indoor ice is softer than what you find in a Minnesota winter.
If your on a 1/2, you should try 5/8th, that is what I skate on normally. If you haven't tried it shallower you might be surprised. I can't skate on a sharp 1/2, feels like im on tracks.
JSR

Post by JSR »

black sheep wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
1/2"

If your on a 1/2, you should try 5/8th, that is what I skate on normally. If you haven't tried it shallower you might be surprised. I can't skate on a sharp 1/2, feels like im on tracks.
Hey skate sharpener guys. My son just finished his first year of Pee Wee's. Skating wise he is excellent and very proficient on his edges but I've noticed lately in games he is losing his edge even after a fresh sharpening. He has been skating at 7/16 is it maybe that he needs to move to a 5/8 or 1/2 because the moves he is now capable of physically aren't able to be pulled off on a 7/16 edge and the edge just won't hold or do I misunderstand the physics of it? A little help in that department would be appreciated.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

JSR wrote:
black sheep wrote:
O-townClown wrote: 1/2"

Hey skate sharpener guys. My son just finished his first year of Pee Wee's. Skating wise he is excellent and very proficient on his edges but I've noticed lately in games he is losing his edge even after a fresh sharpening. He has been skating at 7/16 is it maybe that he needs to move to a 5/8 or 1/2 because the moves he is now capable of physically aren't able to be pulled off on a 7/16 edge and the edge just won't hold or do I misunderstand the physics of it? A little help in that department would be appreciated.
7/16 is basically the same as 1/2 radius. It should technically be sharper because it is a deeper hollow. Rule of thumb is this. 1/4 inch is a very deep hollow for sharp turns and agility. Although, you cut into the ice and lack glide. Especially the more you weigh. If you are squirt that weighs 60 lbs you might get away with skating on that because there is not that much force into the ice. If you weigh 180lbs you may struggle.

Now if you skate on a 5/8 radus you will have a shallower hollow and will get more glide and the agility/sharp turns may struggle.

Remember this. BOTH ARE SHARP. and good skaters can turn well on 5/8 hollow. Most people skate on 1/2inch radius cuz its in the middle.

If your son is losing an edge it may be the sharpener. Make sure he is skating on even edges. That is more likely the problem...
JSR

Post by JSR »

This is nuts! wrote:
JSR wrote:
black sheep wrote: If your on a 1/2, you should try 5/8th, that is what I skate on normally. If you haven't tried it shallower you might be surprised. I can't skate on a sharp 1/2, feels like im on tracks.
7/16 is basically the same as 1/2 radius. It should technically be sharper because it is a deeper hollow. Rule of thumb is this. 1/4 inch is a very deep hollow for sharp turns and agility. Although, you cut into the ice and lack glide. Especially the more you weigh. If you are squirt that weighs 60 lbs you might get away with skating on that because there is not that much force into the ice. If you weigh 180lbs you may struggle.

Now if you skate on a 5/8 radus you will have a shallower hollow and will get more glide and the agility/sharp turns may struggle.

Remember this. BOTH ARE SHARP. and good skaters can turn well on 5/8 hollow. Most people skate on 1/2inch radius cuz its in the middle.

If your son is losing an edge it may be the sharpener. Make sure he is skating on even edges. That is more likely the problem...
Thanks very helpful as it is a very recent problem so I will look into whether his edges are even or not tonight. Thanks
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

JSR wrote:
This is nuts! wrote:
JSR wrote: Hey skate sharpener guys. My son just finished his first year of Pee Wee's. Skating wise he is excellent and very proficient on his edges but I've noticed lately in games he is losing his edge even after a fresh sharpening. He has been skating at 7/16 is it maybe that he needs to move to a 5/8 or 1/2 because the moves he is now capable of physically aren't able to be pulled off on a 7/16 edge and the edge just won't hold or do I misunderstand the physics of it? A little help in that department would be appreciated.

Thanks very helpful as it is a very recent problem so I will look into whether his edges are even or not tonight. Thanks
i would also look if there is something else that might be damaging an edge...is at a particular rink, new bag, different guards etc...or a new sharpening, place or person.

also double check to make sure the steel is firm in the holder.

steel wins vs ice for quite a while.

I have seen some seriously (surprisingly) uneven edges. Always good to check. The rocker radius can also change over time and hit a point of no return for some skaters.

IF you are having trouble, I'd bring it to the most reputable skate shop and have their best guy check them out. Even replacement steel and / or holders are pretty cheap compared to having skate issues during games.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Agree with black sheep on this. 7/16ths is pretty edgy and not likely the problem unless your skater is REALLY small and lightweight. Conversely, he may be too heavy for 7/16ths and need 1/2 inch or even 5/8ths hollow, because he's skating that deeper hollow off sooner.

I've heard people having this issue a bit with flat-bottom V sharpening as well, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

If he skates on Reeboks, old CCM's, Eastons or any other brand that has the external 8MM nuts holding the runner in place, be sure those things are TIGHT. I've seen those loosen way up during a season for no discernable reason, and that'll have a skater literally losing an edge on tight turns.

Check the edges for even-ness (the bottom, across the two edges, should form a perfect T with the sides of the blade) and/or change sharpeners -- go to a good shop like General Sports or Westwood (these are just the ones I know and respect, there are plenty of others).
JSR

Post by JSR »

Thanks again guys, very helpful and usefull information. We take his skates to the most repuatble and consistant place in our area here so I'm taking them back in to have them check the things you guys mentioned as he had a tryout last night and was having edge problems for the second night in a row (we hadn't had time to get them resharpened or looked at yet since Monday). Luckily he still made the team despite that but it needs to get fixed so thanks again!
observer

Post by observer »

I'll guess you're sure he's not on the plastic and needs new steel?

Another common problem with the younger ones is that several benches have metal supports on the back of the boards. Small players clip the metal as they're climbing in and out of the bench and can ding a new sharpening.

European teams wear their skate guards to the arena door and leave them there like the figure skaters. Ever wonder why the figure skaters do that? Sand and dirt on the floors won't break a piece of the edge like the metal in the benches but can dull them quickly.

When you inspect the blades if there's a 1-2-3 inch piece missing he's clipping something. Battling around the net and stepping on it is a common way to damage them too.
scoreandscoreoften

Post by scoreandscoreoften »

black sheep wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
1/2"

What are the pluses and minuses of 1/2 vs 5/8th's ?
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

scoreandscoreoften wrote:
black sheep wrote:
O-townClown wrote: 1/2"

What are the pluses and minuses of 1/2 vs 5/8th's ?
A 1/2 inch hollow is deeper hollow then 5/8. which means they will feel sharper and potentially allow you to turn sharper and be more agile. The minus is you will lose glide. 5/8 hollow will give you more glide and will be a shallower hollow. Its personal preference.

If you ever feel like your skates are too sharp. Try a 5/8 hollow and see how you like like it. When I was a kid my skates always seemed too sharp after I got them sharpened and they felt better after I skated on them a few times. I would have benifited from a shallower hollow and they would have felt good right away.