USA Hockey

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

edgeless2

USA Hockey

Post by edgeless2 »

Just want to send a shout out to USA hockey for raising registration fees 33%! Well done fantastic way to grow membership.
savagegopher

Post by savagegopher »

I agree what a joke! The fee should not be more than $10
McLuvin

Post by McLuvin »

Below is what USA Hockey Lists as benefits for our $40. USA Hockey is supposed to be care takers of the game, not a Robin Hood Organization taking from one group to give to its own interests. I look through the list and find very little that justifies the money. Certainly appears to be focused on the top 0.5% of players. I liken USA hockey to a pyramid scheme or even worse a Ponzi Scheme. Don't even get me started on the fee's they charge the volunteer coaches. I agree with Savagegopher, $10 at the most.

In the Youth Player benefits I can find only one line that applies to 99% of kids and that is the ADM benefits. I think USA Hockey can do better.

All Members
• Subscription to USA Hockey Magazine, the most widely distributed hockey publication in the world
• World-class insurance coverage to provide peace-of-mind for all involved in the sport
• Extensive risk management dedicated to the safety of all participants, including research and education
• Membership in the organization that sends Team USA to:
— Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
— World Championships at all levels for both men and women
— Other international events
• Official Playing Rules to provide consistency for all participants
• Exclusive offers from:
— Professional hockey teams
— Equipment manufacturers
— Official partners of USA Hockey
Youth Players
• Mandated background screening for all adults with access to youth players
• Training utilizing The American Development Model which provides age-appropriate learning
in a fun environment
• A focus on addressing the specific needs of female players
• Opportunity to play in District and National Championship Tournaments
• Opportunity to be selected for:
— Regional and National Player Development Camps and Festivals
— Select Teams
— National Team Development Program
• An extensive Junior Program for players to develop in preparation for the collegiate and
professional ranks
savagegopher

Post by savagegopher »

World-class insurance coverage to provide peace-of-mind for all involved in the sport

What would a policy like this cost an association?

If you had 500 kids and coaches in an association, that’s $25,000, would a policy cost you more than 10k.

What are the ramifications not to belong, Isn’t Minnesota hockey strong enough to say take a hike?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Thanks for the reminder. My registration expires today and I needed to re-up for 2012-13.

For an organization that people say does nothing, they sure field a lot of complaints.
Be kind. Rewind.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

Is there a table available that lists the numbers of USA Hockey members by state? It doesn't feel like MN gets the representation we deserve.

There is nothing of value I receive from our memberships our family is FORCED to have.

I wish Minnesota Hockey would just sever ties with USA Hockey.
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Quite possibly the "Understatement of the Millenium"! Representation?... Are you kidding me? Most LEGIT polls showed that 85-90% of MN Hockey Members OPPOSED the new Checking ages,... yet it passes unanimously? WHAT REPRESENTATION? You have none. You can put a dozen other decisions in that same category so it certainly is a justifiable question of when is enough, enough. It's difficult to seperate safety, over economic prosperity... but well over 3/4'ths of the decisions over the past 5 years have been to BEEF UP the bottom line, and the integrity of the game has, and will, suffer more. Case in point, A large number of members quit Hockey in the PeeWee to Bantam phase... Many kids cite the physical aspects of the game, because that's easier to explain/justify to Parents than, Girls, School, OTHER vises in life that appear in this age group, and VIOLA', the bean counters recommend to eliminate Checking to retain the inevitable loss of membership a little longer. AN ENTIRELY ECONOMIC decision that WASN"T accepted by ANY sort of majority, and shoved down our throats for the betterment of Membership Retention, and screw the history of the game. The very sad part is that this checking rule change will enevitably hurt more kids... but I hope I am entirely wrong.

barry_mcconnell wrote:Is there a table available that lists the numbers of USA Hockey members by state? It doesn't feel like MN gets the representation we deserve.There is nothing of value I receive from our memberships our family is FORCED to have.

I wish Minnesota Hockey would just sever ties with USA Hockey.
savagegopher

Post by savagegopher »

I plan on asking our board next week to start a petition asking that USA Hockey reduce their fee.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I will ask ours as well. Let me or Chi-town know how to go about it.
savagegopher

Post by savagegopher »

I'm thinking

On the top of the page,

On behalf of the __________ Hockey Assocition and it members we are requesting that USA hockey consider reducing its membership fee for the 2013/2014 season.

Put lines and leave at the rink.
Trash Hauler

Post by Trash Hauler »

I propose we get the petitions going to change governing bodies to the one that runs summer hockey in Minnesota.
barry_mcconnell

Would it be possible for an individual association to opt out of USA Hockey?

$40 x 600 (#players and coaches in association) = $24,000

Seriously, what did our association get in return? Keep the stupid magazine. If our association wasted $24,000 on anything else people would be having a fit.

Let's track down the budget for USA Hockey. I found this so far: http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Meetings/ ... Report.pdf

"Over 577,000 online registrations were processed for this season (2011)"

577,000 x $40 = $23M (how much comes from MN?)
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Not much in that mag. I'd rather read the FREE Lets play hockey.
barry_mcconnell

2011 Annual Report: http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedFiles/ ... rt_WEB.pdf

Expenses (2011)
--------------------
Membership services 8,945,564
Inline hockey 403,422
National team development 3,308,860
International programs 5,349,396
Internet program 586,426
Player development 1,689,286
Officials 1,628,628
Coaching 1,591,284
Junior program 390,581
Adult program 1,610,313
Annual Congress/Winter Meetings 791,301
Youth program 517,604
Membership development 1,212,949
American Development Model 1,515,703
--------------------------------------
Total Expenses $29,541,317

Hmmm, membership services? Need to dig deeper.
barry_mcconnell

Supporting Services
-----------------------
General and administrative 4,553,802
Marketing and fundraising 892,245
Total supporting services $5,446,047

So $5.4M for overhead?

Marketing and fundraising expenses of $892,000 generated Advertising and merchandising revenue of $392,000? Gotta say I'm not impressed with that performance.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

barry_mcconnell wrote:Would it be possible for an individual association to opt out of USA Hockey?
An entire association? probably not unless they were large enough to be able to play against only themselves. My association has over the years chosen to not have mites, supermites, and house leagues not be a part of USA Hockey. I believe they all are now though.

It wouldn't be all that tough for a bunch of associations to get together and pull out of USA Hockey, the MSHSL runs outside of USA Hockey for example. A handful of years ago a group in my area wanted Rochester to form a "House" league outside USA Hockey with nearby communities as a way to try and keep costs and travel down for the recreational player but it was shot down by a board who thought $2000+ a year isn't much money. ( No wonder wrestling is growing)
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

savagegopher wrote:On behalf of the __________ Hockey Assocition and it members we are requesting that USA hockey consider reducing its membership fee for the 2013/2014 season.
It is considered every year.
Be kind. Rewind.
Irish

Post by Irish »

What's next? Are you going to start complaining about the cost of gas? :wink:
nobama

Post by nobama »

Nonsense with the gas lets talk about the yearly tobacco bill going up in smoke from those running the program. [-X :^o
Irish

Post by Irish »

nobama wrote:Nonsense with the gas lets talk about the yearly tobacco bill going up in smoke from those running the program. [-X :^o
I'm more concerned about Gas prices. How are the Suburbans and Escalades going to get to and from the rink every day? Or why are skates getting so expensive? Paying $800 for skates is more alarming.

Paying USA hockey and Minnesota to govern the sport is low complaint factor..... Please do better with next complaint.
nobama

Post by nobama »

It is the Brass that runs in full size rental cars my friend. While the AVEO would make more sense economically while helping out with the greenhouse effect as well. It never even comes into question full size it is with less than AVEO results. :shock:
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

I guess I'm just not seeing anything go up 33% yoy in anything, including gas in this economy. Happy times for all those with 4 or 5 kids. I guess that's the upside of a monopoly.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

edgeless2 wrote:I guess I'm just not seeing anything go up 33% yoy in anything, including gas in this economy. Happy times for all those with 4 or 5 kids. I guess that's the upside of a monopoly.
It went up 33% over the last 8 years too, so it seems small when one spins it a different way.

I get it. You don't see value in it. I'd love it if you could opt out of the fee for life the first time you ever sign your kid up in return for rendering that child ineligible for national team play forever.
Be kind. Rewind.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

I agree $40 to USA Hockey is crazy. BUT, why does MN Hockey need $10 per player and coach and referee? Each association pays additional fees to roster each team, pay for tournaments, etc. But why the $10 per player? On top of fees paid to individual Districts?

As the national sanctioning body, one can argue about the $40 USA fee and make a good claim that all we really see is a magazine and suplemental insurance coverage. But how else is USA going to pay for Ann Arbor or the sled hockey team?