AA & A youth hockey associations

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 am

Trout wrote:It looks to me like Woodbury has both AA and A teams at Bantams and then at Pee Wee then have AA and then 2 B1 Pee Wee. I thought this was not an option under the new system...What you do for one you do for the other. Can someone confirm this? Am I wrong? I got the info from their website.

Also, it looks to me like the single A bantam teams that have a AA brother are doing better than the A pee wee teams with a AA brother. With the Exception of Edina and Maybe Chaska in Pee Wee's it looks like it is tougher for the second A team to compete at the Pee Wee level. Just a quick observation some of you may have other observations. Thoughts on this?
I think the only requirement was that if you did AA at one you had to do so at the other. After that (AA), you were free to configure however you saw fit.

ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 am

Trout wrote:It looks to me like Woodbury has both AA and A teams at Bantams and then at Pee Wee then have AA and then 2 B1 Pee Wee. I thought this was not an option under the new system...What you do for one you do for the other. Can someone confirm this? Am I wrong? I got the info from their website.

Also, it looks to me like the single A bantam teams that have a AA brother are doing better than the A pee wee teams with a AA brother. With the Exception of Edina and Maybe Chaska in Pee Wee's it looks like it is tougher for the second A team to compete at the Pee Wee level. Just a quick observation some of you may have other observations. Thoughts on this?
There are two pieces to the new system:

1. Are you a AA association? This is the piece you have to do the same in both Bantam and PeeWee.

2. What is your mix of teams (can be different). You don't need to field a AA and A at both Bantam and PeeWee, but you have to have a AA at both (if you are a AA association).

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 am

Bluewhitefan wrote:
DrGaf wrote:Good concept, horrible implementation.

These AA vs. A games are ridiculous.

Can't wait to see how the tourney's end up shaking out. Could be on par with Benghazi.
One of the more warped comparisons in the history of this board
Have you seen any of these? Not as far-fetched as it may seem. (sarcasm intended, obviously these AA v. A games are much worse.)

Watched a AA v A game last weekend. Shots were at least 15 to 1, score had to be about 15 to 0. I saw 6 goals in the period I watched.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

Trout

Post by Trout » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 am

AA vs A in an association with a AA team have been bad games that I have seen (I think this would be expected...)

I was actually looking at A teams with no AA playing A teams with a AA big brother and these have been pretty bad with few exceptions especially at Pee Wee.

The Bantam Games I saw were somewhat better. I think Woodbury might have gotten it right with their crew, went AA/A in Bantams and AA/B1 pee wees.

Might be wrong a long way to go and I have only a few games as my sample size but watching to see the trend. I would guess by Christmas we will know a lot more...these teams will start to shake out.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:50 am

DrGaf wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:
DrGaf wrote:Good concept, horrible implementation.

These AA vs. A games are ridiculous.

Can't wait to see how the tourney's end up shaking out. Could be on par with Benghazi.
One of the more warped comparisons in the history of this board
Have you seen any of these? Not as far-fetched as it may seem. (sarcasm intended, obviously these AA v. A games are much worse.)

Watched a AA v A game last weekend. Shots were at least 15 to 1, score had to be about 15 to 0. I saw 6 goals in the period I watched.
There was one victory in District 10 for the new AA/A pilot, Centennial's A(17-32) tied Champlin Park's AA(1-16) team. Great job to those that were for this! =D>

The only bad thing is that the Champlin kids are hanging their heads and feel like they have no chance in their high school (same conference) future after this slap in the face. Look for the talented Champlin kids to be much more likely to move to greener pastures. This is going to break down this state's great High School Hockey tradition.

Where is the good reason for this?

Simply disgusting..

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 am

I still don't get it. It's almost Dec. It's still not making sense.

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Centennial's B1 team tied CP's A team? That sounds better.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:46 pm

BadgerBob82 wrote:Centennial's B1 team tied CP's A team? That sounds better.
It does?

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Champlin Park might consider opting to the "A" level?

Spare me... "the kids are hanging their heads and feel like they have no chance in their high school (same conference) future after this slap in the face"

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:17 pm

BadgerBob82 wrote:Champlin Park might consider opting to the "A" level?

Spare me... "the kids are hanging their heads and feel like they have no chance in their high school (same conference) future after this slap in the face"
Are they able to opt to "A" in high school?

Ask Greybeard if he's heard parents, coaches and others complain. I've even heard of high school coaches complaining to the districts.

Got the info from a Summer team dad(pissed) that has a kid on the team.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Was this Cent Pee-wee ??? No way Bantams could have come with in 10 goals.

Trout

Post by Trout » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 pm

It will be very interesting to hear what eveyrone says at the end of the year...

(Example 1...)
Wayzata wins AA and A bantam! Wow that did a lot for the little programs.
(Example 2...)
WBL or some other big program wins Bantam B1 with no single A team ... Why didn't they field and AA and A ... Or even worse Wayzta wins all 3 bantam titles... why don't they have one AA and two A teams...Their program is big enough...

Etc...Etc...Etc... Everyone will feel slighted except the winner...Just like in past years

You hear all the stories about it being about development but truly most of the teams will do what they think they can do to win. It is like the programs fielding 13 players at squirts...development or is it so you can have your best player on the ice everry other shift without making the other kids feel bad.

I personally believe do what is best for the development of the kids ... the fact is that is very hard to figure out at this point. It will be an interesting ride!

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Who's Dad is mad? From Champlin Park AA or the Centennial A? If so, why is he mad?

If CP, Rogers, St. Francis/Irondale, etc get blown out 9-0 against AA teams and undoubtedly will be beaten by A teams, maybe they opted for the wrong level of play? Regardless, what difference does any of that make? Quit hockey? Move to a greener high school?

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Greybeard: Do coaches and parents complain to the Districts year after year about virtually everything?

Do high school coaches complain that youth programs aren't doing things right?

Just curious.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:21 pm

How did you see MNH "messing things up"?

They did things right?

Do you ever know what you're talking about?

You'll just end up agreeing with me again.......

Scout716

Post by Scout716 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Complaining just comes with the territory. If someone Wins to much or Losses to much - it always comes down to NOT FAIR and time to change the rules. Parents of more skilled players complain their kids are skating with Less skilled players bringing their players overall growth and development down. its never ending. All the AA / A system did was put the less talanted AA teams in jeopardy of posts such as this where a A team beats an AA team. Now some people feel the need to post it. at least the old System of A / B1. it kept those teams away from each other.

Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Armstrong Bantam A beat OMG AA. Oh the shame.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Toomuchtoosoon wrote:Armstrong Bantam A beat OMG AA. Oh the shame.
1-16 against 1-16

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 pm

You're mad when 1-16 beats 17-34? You're mad when 17-34 beats 1-16. Now you're mad when 1-16 beats 1-16? Or are you mad that a program plays A instead of AA. You hated B1's. Now you hate A teams beating AA teams?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 am

I think it's great that their 1-16 beat the other teams 1-16.

Both would be playing at the highest level(A) in the old format.

You're having a tough time following along.

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 am

Follow along? It was Armstrong's choice to not play at the appropriate level.

57special

Post by 57special » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:54 am

I must say that I am surprised at how small of a leveling out effect the new system has had. Edina's Peewee AA, A, AND B1 has a combined record of 43-1. This is not good for anyone. The scores in some cases are not nearly as bad as they might be because the winning team has spent the last half of the game trying NOT to score.

There is a fix. Simply have two AA teams in the mega associations. Rather than leave it up to the individual associations, it should be mandated by Minnhock. Say, any team that has over an .900 winning clip the previous year must have an extra team at that level the next? There would have to be exemptions for small associations who happened to have a anomalous results in one season ( NOT Edina or Wayzata,etc.).

Thoughts?

ASmoothSheet

Post by ASmoothSheet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 am

That Edina Peewee group is an anomaly, wouldn't change the whole system because of one group. (even if everything revolves around Edina :D) new system appears to be working for Edina Bantams and other mega's various levels.

Trout

Post by Trout » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:55 am

I would say the Wayzata Bantams are in the same boat as the Edina Peewees. An anomaly.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

BadgerBob82 wrote:Follow along? It was Armstrong's choice to not play at the appropriate level.
Wouldn't even be a thought in the old model, both would have played A.