OneHockey Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GopherFan95

OneHockey Tournament

Post by GopherFan95 »

I was at the SuperRink this morning and saw that there is a OneHockey tournament coming in January. I noticed that it says on the website that 8 top 10 Minnesota squirt AA teams will attend.

Does anyone know which squirt teams are attending?
MrBoDangles

Re: OneHockey Tournament

Post by MrBoDangles »

GopherFan95 wrote:I was at the SuperRink this morning and saw that there is a OneHockey tournament coming in January. I noticed that it says on the website that 8 top 10 Minnesota squirt AA teams will attend.

Does anyone know which squirt teams are attending?
I see the top squirt teams won't call themselves just A now....
JSR

Post by JSR »

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MNH iis allowing Minnesota teams to play tier 1 teams on our own turf?

:shock: ?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I wish they would list the Mn. teams.
CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD »

No, from what I understand the Tier II AA/A teams and/or MN Teams will be in a different bracket from the Tier I AAA teams. They will not play each other as they are not allowed to.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD wrote:No, from what I understand the Tier II AA/A teams and/or MN Teams will be in a different bracket from the Tier I AAA teams. They will not play each other as they are not allowed to.
"allowed" As a people, we should hate that word.

Thanks foR the info, CHI.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

90% for the Affton Americans is usually enough to beat anyone else's 100%.
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD wrote:No, from what I understand the Tier II AA/A teams and/or MN Teams will be in a different bracket from the Tier I AAA teams. They will not play each other as they are not allowed to.
Why are they not allowed? Is this somehow akin to the Squirt game limit?
Be kind. Rewind.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I was wondering if the people running the tourny know that we [mn] have game limits.
CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

O-townClown wrote:
Why are they not allowed? Is this somehow akin to the Squirt game limit?
MN Tier II by rule cannot play Tier I teams is my understanding.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

I haven't heard that. Thunder went to the Edina tournament as Bantams and the Thunderbirds have gone as Pee Wees a few times. Mpls Park Storm have entered the Bauer Invite. Shattuck regularly plays association teams.
Be kind. Rewind.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Half those teams in that "AAA" bracket are AA teams. Affton, Chesterfield, the CSDHL is a tier 2 league.

Reason they don't want to mingle the teams? At least at squirts the top 8 MN teams would bury those "elite" teams.
CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Upon further investigation apparently it is a district rule, the following is an excerpt from District 2 rules:

3.6 Inter-level Play
3.6.1 In addition to MN Hockey rules (MN Hockey Youth Rules and Regulations Article VII Para. D.) regarding
interlevel play (games or scrimmages) between classifications there shall be no interplay (games or
scrimmages) between any Tier I and Tier II District 2 teams. (All District 2 teams are classified as Tier II.)
a. For the first offense the Head Coach will be suspended for two (2) games.
b. For the second offense the Head Coach will be suspended for the remainder of the season. www.d2hockey.org 9
3.6.2 No District 2 association shall accept Tier I teams to play in any invitational tournaments they are hosting.
Violation of this rule will be cause for the following penalties;
a. For the first offense, the host association will not be allowed to host invitational tournaments at the
division/classification (Bantam A, Peewee B, etc.) at which the violation occurred for the balance of
the current season and the following season.
b. For the second offense within a three (3) year period, the association will not be allowed to host
invitational tournaments at any level for the balance of the current season and the following season.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

How surprising another bu11s$it D2 rule. :roll:
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Thanks for sharing. That is a peculiar rule. I wonder if it came into being after the formation of the Wisconsin Fire. There are no Tier I teams in close proximity to District 2, so what you're left with is the inability for a team to scrimmage a visiting group from 500 or more miles away.

I predict it is only a matter of time before you see some in-season AAU sanctioned hockey in Minnesota. There's nothing USA Hockey or the Minnesota District can do to stop it. I'm not predicting rampant league play, but the cost for a daily AAU sanction is nominal and could facilitate a weekend series where a District 2 team could face some kids from North Carolina or Colorado for three or four games.
Be kind. Rewind.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

O-townClown wrote:90% for the Affton Americans is usually enough to beat anyone else's 100%.
The Affton Americans were at the Squirt International in Fargo last year. I think they fared ok but they didn't stand out there.
bemused

Post by bemused »

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD wrote:Upon further investigation apparently it is a district rule, the following is an excerpt from District 2 rules:

3.6 Inter-level Play
3.6.1 In addition to MN Hockey rules (MN Hockey Youth Rules and Regulations Article VII Para. D.) regarding
interlevel play (games or scrimmages) between classifications there shall be no interplay (games or
scrimmages) between any Tier I and Tier II District 2 teams. (All District 2 teams are classified as Tier II.)
b. For the second offense the Head Coach will be suspended for the remainder of the season. www.d2hockey.org 9
3.6.2 No District 2 association shall accept Tier I teams to play in any invitational tournaments they are hosting.
a. For the first offense, the host association will not be allowed to host invitational tournaments at the
division/classification (Bantam A, Peewee B, etc.) at which the violation occurred for the balance of
b. For the second offense within a three (3) year period, the association will not be allowed to host
invitational tournaments at any level for the balance of the current season and the following season.
Well,
Shattuck (Tier 1) has been playing Minnesota Bantam Teams for years including District 2's usual champion White Bear Lake (Tier 2). Is this a new rule?
CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

bemused wrote:
CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD wrote:Upon further investigation apparently it is a district rule, the following is an excerpt from District 2 rules:

3.6 Inter-level Play
Well,
Shattuck (Tier 1) has been playing Minnesota Bantam Teams for years including District 2's usual champion White Bear Lake (Tier 2). Is this a new rule?
Only know that it was in effect last year. Don't know when it was introduced.
observer

Post by observer »

That was totally a D2 Fire rule from 3-4 years ago.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

So your saying if FL hosts a squirt tourny we could invite Russell Stover/Mission/Yada Yada ??? How cool would that be ?? I know they would have to send 02's !!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

O-townClown wrote:Thanks for sharing. That is a peculiar rule. I wonder if it came into being after the formation of the Wisconsin Fire. There are no Tier I teams in close proximity to District 2, so what you're left with is the inability for a team to scrimmage a visiting group from 500 or more miles away.

I predict it is only a matter of time before you see some in-season AAU sanctioned hockey in Minnesota. There's nothing USA Hockey or the Minnesota District can do to stop it. I'm not predicting rampant league play, but the cost for a daily AAU sanction is nominal and could facilitate a weekend series where a District 2 team could face some kids from North Carolina or Colorado for three or four games.
This is not allowed.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

bemused wrote:

3.6 Inter-level Play
Well,
I don't think it is their tier 1 team. If it is, permission was given...
oholene

Post by oholene »

Elliott,

Why is it not allowed? Is it a USA hockey rule? Is it a MN Hockey rule?
elliott70 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:Thanks for sharing. That is a peculiar rule. I wonder if it came into being after the formation of the Wisconsin Fire. There are no Tier I teams in close proximity to District 2, so what you're left with is the inability for a team to scrimmage a visiting group from 500 or more miles away.

This is not allowed.
observer

Post by observer »

So your saying if FL hosts a squirt tourny we could invite Russell Stover/Mission/Yada Yada ??? How cool would that be ?? I know they would have to send 02's !!
Pretty sure it could be ok'd

Tier 1 AAA teams have appeared in D6 MN Youth Holiday Tournaments for years.