Demise of a once great tourney...

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pioneer

Demise of a once great tourney...

Post by pioneer »

Brackets are out for the Bloomington Midwest Regional Tournament over the xmas holidays... What the heck happened? This tournament took a hit years ago when, due to the age grouping changes (which Minnkota did not adopt), no longer was the regional Silver Stick tournament. However, they did hold a nice tourney -- until now.

What used to be a nifty format of bracketed play to seed into a 12-16 team bracket (and thus ensuring a 5-7 game tournament) has eroded to a standard 8 team bracket (or 3 games no matter what). What a shame. Even with 8 teams a 3-game pool play followed by crossover games gets you 4-5 games.

Maybe it's not too late... Fix it Bloomington!!!!
snyper12

Re: Demise of a once great tourney...

Post by snyper12 »

pioneer wrote:Brackets are out for the Bloomington Midwest Regional Tournament over the xmas holidays... What the heck happened? This tournament took a hit years ago when, due to the age grouping changes (which Minnkota did not adopt), no longer was the regional Silver Stick tournament. However, they did hold a nice tourney -- until now.

What used to be a nifty format of bracketed play to seed into a 12-16 team bracket (and thus ensuring a 5-7 game tournament) has eroded to a standard 8 team bracket (or 3 games no matter what). What a shame. Even with 8 teams a 3-game pool play followed by crossover games gets you 4-5 games.

And if that is Wayzata AA - you probably have 3 of best teams on one side of the bracket - silly.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Played in this tourney when it was the Bloomington SilverStick back in the 80's. It was an awesome tournament. Pretty sure it was where we played a team from Sweden or Finland. Too bad it's fallen so much.

Kinda wish MinnKota would go birthyears like the rest of USAH. Minnesota could be host to some major national and international tournaments. The MSP airport is a hub, flying in is easy. There would be some great destination tournaments.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

It was the best. The Silver Stick winners were always on the front of "Let's play Hockey" .. Back then Let's play hockey had a T.V. show. They would do a whole segment on the tourny.
buttend

Re: Demise of a once great tourney...

Post by buttend »

snyper12 wrote:
pioneer wrote:Brackets are out for the Bloomington Midwest Regional Tournament over the xmas holidays... What the heck happened? This tournament took a hit years ago when, due to the age grouping changes (which Minnkota did not adopt), no longer was the regional Silver Stick tournament. However, they did hold a nice tourney -- until now.

And if that is Wayzata AA - you probably have 3 of best teams on one side of the bracket - silly.
Bantam A teams

Jeffferson AA
Kennedy A
Woodbury AA
MAML A
Chaska AA
Spring Lake Park A
Sibley A
TBD

1 current top 10 team based on My hockey rankings

3 game tourney

PeeWee A

Kennedy A
Jefferson AA
MAML A
Tartan A
Woodbury AA
Eastview AA
Wayzata A
Rosemount AA

0 current top 10 teams based on My Hockey Rankings

3 game tourney

Unfortunatley I have to side with pioneer, this has changed into a basic 3 game tourney with average teams. Its too bad!
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

BAHA,

Are you reducing the tournament fee to 1/2 and entry fee to 1/3 this year?

This 3 game format definitely does not deserve the charges!

If you do not reduce the fees this year, you will have Jefferson play Kennedy next years!

Three lousy games in rink 3 of BIG, stinks!
Goaldriven

Post by Goaldriven »

I'm confused by this thread...sounds like Bloomington changed their tournament format. So don't register....won't that send the message? If someone registered without verifying the format, shame on them.

Why isn't another MN association running something like the old format...sounds like it was popular.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Goaldriven wrote:I'm confused by this thread...sounds like Bloomington changed their tournament format. So don't register....won't that send the message? If someone registered without verifying the format, shame on them.

Why isn't another MN association running something like the old format...sounds like it was popular.
Midwest Regional Tournament

2012 Midwest Regional Holiday Tournament
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR THE 2012 MIDWEST REGIONAL TOURNAMENT 

December 26-31, 2012

Levels: 

Bantam A  (full)
Bantam B1 (full)
PeeWee A (full)
PeeWee B1 (full)
8 teams at each level, 3 game guarantee, Bracket play

Registration fee: ALL LEVELS = $700*

*There is a $400 gate fee that is due 30 days before the start of the tournament

***** the number of teams and bracket play part were added sometime recently.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

old goalie85 wrote:It was the best. The Silver Stick winners were always on the front of "Let's play Hockey" .. Back then Let's play hockey had a T.V. show. They would do a whole segment on the tourny.
Heard they changed to Wooden Stick this years, and named it chopsticks next year.
Irish

Post by Irish »

Goaldriven wrote:I'm confused by this thread...sounds like Bloomington changed their tournament format. So don't register....won't that send the message? If someone registered without verifying the format, shame on them.

Agreed! Why do people have to ruin a good thing? Has anyone from Bloomington given a reason why they changed the format?

Plenty of rinks in Minnesota. No excuse why some one doesn't host a top tournament.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

I can't tell you how many times I have heard this complaint in the last few weeks. Mostly from teams that are participating.

Essentially teams that played last year and got 4-5 games are paying the same amount this year and getting 3. Needless to say those associations are left scratching their head.
Irish

Post by Irish »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:I can't tell you how many times I have heard this complaint in the last few weeks. Mostly from teams that are participating.

Essentially teams that played last year and got 4-5 games are paying the same amount this year and getting 3. Needless to say those associations are left scratching their head.
Sounds like Bloomington has some explaining to do..........
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

Irish wrote:
YouthHockeyHub wrote:I can't tell you how many times I have heard this complaint in the last few weeks. Mostly from teams that are participating.

Sounds like Bloomington has some explaining to do..........
Agree. If it is true. We can see in fact they changed the format and teams only get 3 games. Did they for sure not lower the fees?
Northender

Post by Northender »

old goalie85 wrote:It was the best. The Silver Stick winners were always on the front of "Let's play Hockey" .. Back then Let's play hockey had a T.V. show. They would do a whole segment on the tourny.
In its hey day, this was the most prominent tournament. It allowed everyone to see who the best teams in the state were. :)
Irish

Post by Irish »

2012 Midwest Regional Tournament

December 26-30, 2012

Levels:
Bantam A FULL
Bantam B1 FULL
Peewee A FULL
Peewee B1 FULL

Registration fee: ALL LEVELS = $700 + $400 Gate fee

Tournament Director
Renee Johnson
midwest2012@hotmail.com
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

Northender wrote:
In its hey day, this was the most prominent tournament. It allowed everyone to see who the best teams in the state were. :)

To many competing tournaments have watered this one down.
Irish

Post by Irish »

Vapor wrote:
Northender wrote:

To many competing tournaments have watered this one down.
Interesting! Let me ask.

1) What other competing tournaments on the same weekend?
2) Why would they go from 5-7 game format to 3 games only, if there are other competing tournaments? If I'm running a tournament wouldn't I want to make it the best?
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but it appears that baha does not give a crap of how participants feel.

Time to move on.
observer

Post by observer »

2) Why would they go from 5-7 game format to 3 games only, if there are other competing tournaments? If I'm running a tournament wouldn't I want to make it the best?
Tournaments are Association fundraisers. Traditional 8 team brackets with 3 games per team are commonly more profitable. Main expenses in tourneys are ice and refs and EMTs to a lesser degree.

I'll guess some associations look at cost when registering their teams without understanding they'll get more games. The old format would require the hosts charge almost twice what other tourneys do. Game limits at Squirt could affect. Unfortunate but simple math.
MNhockey15443

MPO

Post by MNhockey15443 »

I think part of it is the cost and you only get "roughly 3 games now. I also think people are losing interest becasue people have to work and the games are in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. I know it is the week of holiday break for the kids but not the adults and even the coachs. I think those are the main couple reasons people are starting to lean away from the tournament.
MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog »

Played in the Bantam level of the Midwest regional in 05, then again in 06 and both years we played 6 games, against top competition. Usually teams such as Jefferson, Woodbury, White Bear Lake, Eden Prairie, and Littleton Colorado was in it two years straight. It was an awesome tournament with great competition, but the best part was the extra games in comparison to regular bracketed tournaments.
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

Anyone know if the found an 8th team at the Bantam A level? The latest bracket still shows TBD. Not good this late in the game.
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

The tourney starts today. And adding insult to injury, they didn't even "try" to even out the brackets.
ALSANITI

Post by ALSANITI »

Irish wrote:2012 Midwest Regional Tournament

December 26-30, 2012

Levels:
Bantam A FULL
Bantam B1 FULL
Peewee A FULL
Peewee B1 FULL

Registration fee: ALL LEVELS = $700 + $400 Gate fee

Tournament Director
Renee Johnson
midwest2012@hotmail.com
Am I the only one that has to look at the materialistic portion of this, $1100 for a three game tournament????? No thanks!!! Much better bargins out there with just as good if not better competition. I also think this Gate Fee thing is getting out of control. I understand that concept, but as it keeps inching higher, people are going to take a real look at it and make a judgement on if they are going to that tournament based on that.

Let's just call it an $1100 tournament, not a $700 tournament.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Here is our Preview and Predictions for all 4 levels (PWB, PWA, BB, and Bantam A):

http://youthhockeyhub.com