YHH Top 10/Weekly VideoCast

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

YHH Top 10/Weekly VideoCast

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

It's 1:00 on Monday, that means it is time for this Week's videocast. This week we have something special for all viewers:

1. Me coming out of my shell
2. Our manual staff rankings of all A levels (way better than the computer for now).

http://youthhockeyhub.com/weekly-videoc ... -rankings/

Also a link to our Computerized Rankings as well. With every score we add the closer the formula gets to reality.

Computer Rankings: http://youthhockeyhub.com/rankings-2013/

Enjoy,

TS
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

Guys I mean really, you have Wayzata ranked fifth in Bantam AA :shock:

My mom who knows little to nothing about hockey and watched them this weekend even knows they are clearly #1. How can we give you any credibility with stuff like this???
mnhockey2019

Post by mnhockey2019 »

supertacks wrote:Guys I mean really, you have Wayzata ranked fifth in Bantam AA :shock:

My mom who knows little to nothing about hockey and watched them this weekend even knows they are clearly #1. How can we give you any credibility with stuff like this???
Look at Tony's post above -- he says the data isn't fully rounded out yet, so he and his staff have manually ranked the teams. On his weekly video, he has Wayzata as the #1 ranked Bantam team, so Tony and your mom agree.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

2019. Thanks for the post.

Yes. We are not any happier with the formula than any of our readers. The formula's working on the levels with +10 games.

As excited as I was about the formula, the AA/A split really throws a wrench into the whole thing.

Here's an example. Most AA teams are only playing AA teams, compared to year's past when all teams played each other evenly in district play. Now the bottom half of AA has far fewer wins and a lower winning percentage, meanwhile some of the middle of the road teams now playing A have higher winning % (note: the formula is based in winning percentage of your team, your opponents, and your opponents opponents, plus a few other small things like AGD, head to head, and recency). This year winning percentages are far more misleading than year's past.

Stay tuned. Next week we will rate all 11 levels manually...our manual rankings are always pretty good/close.

2019: There are a very few disputable #1s out there in our manual rankings, including Wayzata Bantam A. Here are few more locks: Edina U12A, Forest Lake U10A, Edina PWAA, Rosemount SQA, and Edina PWB.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

They will be fine by New Years eve !!!!
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

To set those at ease about my/our credibility I made a post with 5 levels (BA, PWA, SQA, U12A, and U10A). Manual rankings based on the data we've received.

http://youthhockeyhub.com/staff-ranking ... r-26-2012/

Enjoy,

TS
Reincarnated

Re: YHH Top 10/Weekly VideoCast

Post by Reincarnated »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:
Also a link to our Computerized Rankings as well. With every score we add the closer the formula gets to reality.

Enjoy,

TS
At some point you just have to admit that the "computer" rankings are not working. If you are 19 games into the season without a loss and have an average goal diff of about plus 6 and you are still not number one. The computer is broken, or the formula is junk. It cannot take 19 games to figure it out.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

The truth hurts
the_juiceman

Re: YHH Top 10/Weekly VideoCast

Post by the_juiceman »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:It's 1:00 on Monday, that means it is time for this Week's videocast. This week we have something special for all viewers:

1. Me coming out of my shell
2. Our manual staff rankings of all A levels (way better than the computer for now).

http://youthhockeyhub.com/weekly-videoc ... -rankings/

Enjoy,

TS
FYI--St.Fran/Iron is AA---MAML is A
Snoopdog007

Post by Snoopdog007 »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:To set those at ease about my/our credibility I made a post with 5 levels (BA, PWA, SQA, U12A, and U10A). Manual rankings based on the data we've received.

Enjoy,

TS
Hey TS,

I'm sorry that this is a little off topic on this thread but I was just curious what you thought about the idea of allowing top ranked Bantam and Peewee B1's to scrimmage single A teams during this pilot season? I have heard this needs to be approved by District Presidents and is quite common in the north due to travel. It has never happened in the metro area because travel is manageable. Does the pilot program warrant an exception to this rule? Your thoughts.....
Reincarnated

Post by Reincarnated »

whatever adjustments you made to the formula seemed to have worked, it looks a lot better.

Still not perfect :D ..... but better!

I think you still need some sort of strength of schedule part to the formula
mounds view , hermantown and STMA are a little high IMHO when you look at their schedule and wins
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Snoopdog007 wrote:
YouthHockeyHub wrote:To set those at ease about my/our credibility I made a post with 5 levels (BA, PWA, SQA, U12A, and U10A). Manual rankings based on the data we've received.

Enjoy,

TS
Hey TS,

I'm sorry that this is a little off topic on this thread but I was just curious what you thought about the idea of allowing top ranked Bantam and Peewee B1's to scrimmage single A teams during this pilot season? I have heard this needs to be approved by District Presidents and is quite common in the north due to travel. It has never happened in the metro area because travel is manageable. Does the pilot program warrant an exception to this rule? Your thoughts.....
I am not a MNH Board member or a District Director (although I go to D6, D8 and D10 Board meetings) - so no matter my opinion it won't matter.

Yes, you need District approval to do this. And I would say no the DD's won't allow it.

I truly think that the AA/A pilot is set up for that exact reason. And to some degree it's working. And to some degree in some districts (not D6) it's being facilitated with A teams playing AA teams.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Reincarnated wrote:whatever adjustments you made to the formula seemed to have worked, it looks a lot better.

Still not perfect :D ..... but better!

I think you still need some sort of strength of schedule part to the formula
mounds view , hermantown and STMA are a little high IMHO when you look at their schedule and wins
We are still working on it. I still think our "staff rankings" are better than the computer rankings. But many think that "opinions" aren't fair.

FYI. A ton of our formula is based on SOS. Your win %, your opponent win %, your opponents opponents win % - we also sprinkle in AGD, a small power adjustment for AA/A, Recency of game played, and head to head competition. I honestly don't know the exact proportion of each.

This past summer we took our manual rankings last year (week by week) for Bantam A and PWA poured in every game from last year and then tested the computer to match the formula against our manual and MHR. This formula should be pretty good.

Our DB added 1,000 scores in the last 4 days...the data is bouncing all over the place right now.
Woodsticks

Post by Woodsticks »

Squirt A: Elk River over Blaine 1-0 this weekend....what happened there?
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

Woodsticks wrote:Squirt A: Elk River over Blaine 1-0 this weekend....what happened there?
R u serious? I don't even follow squirts, I know 0 about either team, but it seems like you are taking a shot at TS becuase there happened to be an upset in a youth sports game?
Woodsticks

Post by Woodsticks »

snyper12 wrote:
Woodsticks wrote:Squirt A: Elk River over Blaine 1-0 this weekend....what happened there?
R u serious? I don't even follow squirts, I know 0 about either team, but it seems like you are taking a shot at TS becuase there happened to be an upset in a youth sports game?
No, not a shot at all. Just wanted to hear how ER beat a talented top 5 team. But you are right.....upsets not unusual at this level. Was not trying to push any buttons.
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

Woodsticks wrote:
snyper12 wrote:
No, not a shot at all. Just wanted to hear how ER beat a talented top 5 team. But you are right.....upsets not unusual at this level. Was not trying to push any buttons.

So your saying TS goes to ALL the games or gets a full report on ALL the games? Unlikely. Scores get reported on the site and unlikely he has the scoop on every game posted, nor should he be expected to.
mnhockey2019

Post by mnhockey2019 »

snyper12 wrote:
Woodsticks wrote:
snyper12 wrote: R u serious? I don't even follow squirts, I know 0 about either team, but it seems like you are taking a shot at TS becuase there happened to be an upset in a youth sports game?

So your saying TS goes to ALL the games or gets a full report on ALL the games? Unlikely. Scores get reported on the site and unlikely he has the scoop on every game posted, nor should he be expected to.
I think Woodsticks is asking someone who was at the game to discuss the result -- not expecting YHH to respond. Cut the guy some slack.
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

mnhockey2019 wrote:
snyper12 wrote:
Woodsticks wrote: No, not a shot at all. Just wanted to hear how ER beat a talented top 5 team. But you are right.....upsets not unusual at this level. Was not trying to push any buttons.

I think Woodsticks is asking someone who was at the game to discuss the result -- not expecting YHH to respond. Cut the guy some slack.

Probably a forum for squirt games/scores to choose rather than an add on to this forum but benefit of the doubt given.