What makes a good association?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

flpucknut

What makes a good association?

Post by flpucknut »

What are the traits of the great associations?

Of course numbers, numbers numbers...I know. But what else are the common denominators that they all share? Are they successful because of the sheer numbers of kids to choose from, or are those numbers high because they are consistently successful? Chicken or the egg I guess.

Aside from the numbers of kids to choose from there must be more going on. One could say money...that wealthier families can afford more ice, more training, more camps. I say look at areas like Grand Rapids or Duluth. Not necessarily known as super wealthy areas. I guess my question boils down to this...Are these traditional powerhouse associations doing something different than the rest? Is it recruiting players into hockey vs basketball or wrestling when they are young? Is it the leadership from the top and the training and coaching philosophy throughout the association?

I'd be very curious to find out if there has ever been a study done as to what the have's are doing vs the have nots....
Towelie

Re: What makes a good association?

Post by Towelie »

flpucknut wrote:What are the traits of the great associations?

Of course numbers, numbers numbers...I know. But what else are the common denominators that they all share? Are they successful because of the sheer numbers of kids to choose from, or are those numbers high because they are consistently successful? Chicken or the egg I guess.

Aside from the numbers of kids to choose from there must be more going on. One could say money...that wealthier families can afford more ice, more training, more camps. I say look at areas like Grand Rapids or Duluth. Not necessarily known as super wealthy areas. I guess my question boils down to this...Are these traditional powerhouse associations doing something different than the rest? Is it recruiting players into hockey vs basketball or wrestling when they are young? Is it the leadership from the top and the training and coaching philosophy throughout the association?

I'd be very curious to find out if there has ever been a study done as to what the have's are doing vs the have nots....
I'd say you hit most of the points....Numbers, money, tradition. But without good Coaching none of those would really matter. Good Associations are the way they are based on the coaches they have to develop the players. Even a small association can develop great players without having money based on coaching.
Did somebody say they needed a Towel ??
Scout716

Post by Scout716 »

This is a loaded question, because everyone can have a different opinion of whats successful. I think as an association you need to creat a statement of believes and base all your development and decisions around that. If you want to be known as an association that competes for the State championship at the AAA level each year, you will run your organization different then if you are concerned about Equality amongst your teams and kids.
There are associations out there that want AAA Championships on one hand, but then have equal ice time rules in play, or they want a Championship but they give the B level teams just as much ice as the Top level teams.
Unless you come from an association that has a large number of participants you are limited on the overall development you can do as an association. I say that because lets say 25% of the kids that play hockey go year round, pay for special training, etc, etc. well if you have 40 kids at a level you may have 10 kids capable of higher end talant. if you have 100 kids at a particular level now you have 40 kids capable of that higher level and they continue to push one another.

When My kids played I did not measure success based on the number of wins or championships they had. I based it on the character they developed, the freindships they made, the loyalty they built, the community pride they established. Thats why I go back to - everyone has a different opinion of what that answer will be.

I feel like I rambled - sorry - hope I make sense. I don;t have time to proof read this.. :)
Scout716

Post by Scout716 »

Oh - one last point about coaching: at the youth level we sometimes but to much weight on the success or failure of a youth coach. example: take the Best team in the state at a particular level. A less experienced coach could step in to coach that team and not much would change in the win loss column. The other side of that is a not so talanted team could have Mr Don Lucia Coach it and they still end up lossing just as many games. I have seen some very inexperienced, not so qualified coaches win alot of games based on a few players they have on their team. I have also seen some of the best skill development coaches have losing seasons because the maturity level and over all talent of their players not be up to peer abilities.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

A long term developmental philosophy vs a win a squirt game at all costs philosophy.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "hot hockey moms" as a trait, this crowd is more mature than I originally thought :wink:
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

volunteers
Whopper2

Post by Whopper2 »

There are a few but not many ass. that get the job done.If you think you can drop your kid off in the fall and pick him up in march and expect big gains for get it. If you play for fun its ok. if you play for real its a long hard, expense road and real devloment comes from out side programs.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

InThePipes wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "hot hockey moms" as a trait, this crowd is more mature than I originally thought :wink:
To be fair, I just logged on. I am a big proponent of basing decisions on the eye candy. I find the lower the overall talent in the association, the more single hockey moms that are in the rink.

I just hope my kid likes playing for the St Francis / Irondale / Chisago / Cambridge / Isanti / Mora / Pine City / North Branch Blue Devils next year. :lol:
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

DrGaf wrote:
InThePipes wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "hot hockey moms" as a trait, this crowd is more mature than I originally thought :wink:
To be fair, I just logged on. I am a big proponent of basing decisions on the eye candy. I find the lower the overall talent in the association, the more single hockey moms that are in the rink.

I just hope my kid likes playing for the St Francis / Irondale / Chisago / Cambridge / Isanti / Mora / Pine City / North Branch Blue Devils next year. :lol:
To bad that won't be happening
Northender

Post by Northender »

Section 8 guy wrote:A long term developmental philosophy vs a win a squirt game at all costs philosophy.
:D

I find the skill development aspect is pushed aside for coaches to work on systems. It is difficult to wok on systems if the player can't properly pass or catch the puck. It is a association philosophy that should lead this - if they are about player development.
Whopper2

Post by Whopper2 »

there are no good ass. some better than others. Look elsewhere if you really want to get your kid better' Ass. hockey is about equal playing time and mn nice.Let the best play and the rest sit. If you don't like it work hard and get better and you won't have to worry about playing time. Some practice 50 hrs others 200 thats the difference
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Not one good assc. in the whole state ???? It 's confirmed you are a nutjob !!!!! Let the best play and the rest sit ??? I get it, you are grooming players for the NHL !!! Do you feel the same way about your kids football/baseball/lacrosse/whatever teams.
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

A good association is one where the kids learn some hockey skills as well as life lessons. Enjoy some pride in playing for a community / school and playing with thier buddies. Some of those freinds and families will last a life time. Overall winning, development, i.e. are forgotten about on a yearly basis. every year begins with a new excitement, a new challange, and possibly some new freinds / linemates... Merry Christmas to All.. and thank you to all who volunteer their time to make to create this opportunity for our kids.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Whopper2 wrote:Let the best play and the rest sit.
If that happens, your roster is far too big.
Be kind. Rewind.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Simply put well stated
redtundra

Wow...

Post by redtundra »

Whopper2 wrote:there are no good ass. some better than others. Look elsewhere if you really want to get your kid better' Ass. hockey is about equal playing time and mn nice.Let the best play and the rest sit. If you don't like it work hard and get better and you won't have to worry about playing time. Some practice 50 hrs others 200 thats the difference
Go back and read a few of this guy's posts. Especially on the Squirt post. I'm convinced this is a child writing. The misspellings and butchering of the language is a clue... The "good association" question is so tough. I grew up in Edina and live elsewhere now. To me what separates that association from most others is actually "expectation". The only banners they have up are State Champion. No runner-up banners there... You could go 70-1, but if the 1 is in the Chip, no banner for you! And that takes a long time to cultivate. But if u set the bar high, I think you can build a great association. I see Maple Grove, Rosemount, parts of Lakeville, following a path with high expectations. Most successful associations succeed IN SPITE of the association, not because of it. Parent involvement is crucial. But the high expectations that can be fostered by an association tend to stoke the parents to get involved and get the kids on the ice. More ice time at a young age with parents being able to train the kids when they are young is crucial. When you can do this and start winning on a consistent basis, the trickle down effect for the rest of the association is huge. The "B" player starts training harder to make the very competitive "A" team. The 4-5 year olds follow their siblings to the rink. You need the ice, obviously. But the numbers will come if you have a good base of young families and you can establish a tradition of being competitive and getting better. If the trend can wind it's way to the high school level over a decade, then you can set in motion a consistent pattern of expectation. Getting a kid from your town to the Gophers or the NHL just fuels the fires even more. But it starts at the grass-roots level.
The Talon

Post by The Talon »

Not Rochester :D