98 Goalies

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Newbie99

98 Goalies

Post by Newbie99 »

Who are the best 98 Goalies out there? I have seen a few and I would think Moberg from St. Paul is towards the top.

Thoughts?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Dayton Rassmuson [sp?] EP/HF. Nick Nelson FL.
dreampuck

Post by dreampuck »

Edquist (Lakeville) playing for - SSM
Weaver (Champlin Park) playing for - Russell Stover
Scites (Maple Grove) playing for - Compuware

all 3 playing 1998 Major Bantmams in the Tier 1 League.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Will Weaver come back and play Mn Highschoolnext year ???
DrGaf

Re: 98 Goalies

Post by DrGaf »

Newbie99 wrote:Who are the best 98 Goalies out there? I have seen a few and I would think Moberg from St. Paul is towards the top.

Thoughts?
Wow, I could name one or two. But a top 98 list is a little over kill don't you think?
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
bemused

Post by bemused »

old goalie85 wrote:Will Weaver come back and play Mn Highschoolnext year ???
Great goalie...the 25 games thing has to be a tough decision for these guys..everybody else in the country sees a lot more rubber..
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

bemused wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Will Weaver come back and play Mn Highschoolnext year ???
Great goalie...the 25 games thing has to be a tough decision for these guys..everybody else in the country sees a lot more rubber..
The tier I teams listed above are already at 35+ games. thats a little nutty isnt it?
dlow

Post by dlow »

Moberg is excellent, 45 saves vs Blake varsity
yesterday
Lecroixwhl

98 Goalie Update

Post by Lecroixwhl »

Just saw that Cole Weaver from Champlin Park was protected yesterday by the Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) and he is confirmed to go to their camp at the end of August. He is not signed, nor is it likely they would sign (if offered) this early.

Also to follow up with a previsous question, he is not returning to Champlin Park and will be playing in Omaha this year for the U16 Midget team. I understand the other goalie for this team is Darrian Hanson from St. Francis MN. Nice tandem for the Omaha U16's Hanson (97) Weaver (98)

Just a little follow up on one of the goalies sometimes talked about at the 98 level from MN.
ThePuckStopsHere

Re: 98 Goalie Update

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Lecroixwhl wrote:Just saw that Cole Weaver from Champlin Park was protected yesterday by the Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) and he is confirmed to go to their camp at the end of August. He is not signed, nor is it likely they would sign (if offered) this early.

Also to follow up with a previsous question, he is not returning to Champlin Park and will be playing in Omaha this year for the U16 Midget team. I understand the other goalie for this team is Darrian Hanson from St. Francis MN. Nice tandem for the Omaha U16's Hanson (97) Weaver (98)

Just a little follow up on one of the goalies sometimes talked about at the 98 level from MN.
Thanks for the update Dad.

Good luck Omaha even though he wouldn't even be the high school starter he will be missed in Champlin Park. :lol:
Bluewhitefan

Re: 98 Goalie Update

Post by Bluewhitefan »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:
Lecroixwhl wrote:Just saw that Cole Weaver from Champlin Park was protected yesterday by the Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) and he is confirmed to go to their camp at the end of August. He is not signed, nor is it likely they would sign (if offered) this early.

Thanks for the update Dad.

Good luck Omaha even though he wouldn't even be the high school starter he will be missed in Champlin Park. :lol:
You sound a little bitter. Your son must be the backup.
Lecroixwhl

Post by Lecroixwhl »

Not the Dad, but have been watching the player closely over the past 1.5 years as it is my job and have met the family many times.

No one will ever know if he would have been the starter or not for sure, but my sources tell me, absolutley, not even close.

Some people just have a hard time being postive - Mr. Puckstophere. and always feel the need to stir the pot.

I was just simply following up on a great kid and his future plans, who knows how it will end up?

There are other great MN (goalies) that have left that I am following as well, again...my job and will report on them as their futures progress as well. I may stop if people continue to feel the need to be negative for no good reason.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

So this kid goes to school in Omaha ? Is this because Mn kids can't shoot hard enough to challange Mr. Weaver ??? Maybe we [Mn] don't have enough goalie schools ?? I guess I don't get it !!! :roll:
My_Kid_Loves_Hockey

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey »

OG----really whats with the taking a shot at "Mr. Weaver" who happens to be a 15 year old kid.......How would you react if your FL guy you mentioned was the one taking the shot like that? :oops:

Give it a rest, or is this the Sid syndrome.....if he leaves MN he will blah blah blah.....
Sauce

Post by Sauce »

I was not aware that many MN 98 goalies were playing on Tier 1 Winter teams. I'm sure it was not an easy decision for the player & family.

From what I have heard...IF you are a MN Goalie with aspirations of playing D1 hockey. The current route for a young goal tender is to play tier 1 Hockey with hopes of hooking up with a USHL/NAHL team down the road.

* IF you are the #1 goalie at a quality HS by your sophomore year, you can stick around MN. Again looking to hook up with a USHL/NAHL down the road.

Good luck to all the Goalies mentioned above!
Eagle86

Post by Eagle86 »

Top Four Goalies from U15 Program – Grade – 2013/14 Season

Ryan Edquist - Grade 10th – SSM
Thomas Hanson – Grade 10th – Minnetonka JV/High School
Spencer Olson – Grade 10th – Anoka JV/High School
Benjamin Meyers – Grade 9th – Elk River Bantam AA/JV/High School
Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut »

Any news on how these 4 compared with other goalies at the US U15 program?
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

I believe the only reason MN goalies play AAA is because there simply is not enough games played at the HS level even if you start every game beginning as a sophomore. A goalie can literally play one season of AAA and play as many or more than a regular starting goalie at the MN HS level in 3 years.
I heard that the Minnesota goalies are holding their own in NY, but not standing out by any means. There is A LOT of talent at this level and Edquist's experience will put him at the forefront of the MN goalies.