YHH: Edina AA heads to Michigan

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JSR

Post by JSR »

NextGoalWins wrote:
Pinky wrote:
warmskin wrote:why didn't Edina Peewee AA play Shattuck before they took off to MI? Just for the record according to LetsPlayHockey there are 36 Minnesotans in the NHL. 1 - Edina, 2 - EP, 1 - Minnetonka, 2 - Plymouth(Wayzata). So if anybody thinks all the Edina Peewee AA's are headed to the NHL the stats are stacked against them.
2 from Edina not like that matters.

Joe Finley - NYI
Jaime McBain - Carolina
Will Finley crack the NYI line up this season?????
McBain has had a lot of games but, if the games I saw this season are any indication of his play, he won't last if he doesn't pick his physical game. Much to shy. Avoids giving and taking hits and mostly gets outworked on the boards.
Let's see, this is what his fourth season.... he's never been relgated to the AHL in any of the previous two seasons, he just signed an extension with the Hurricanes, he is coming off a season where he lead Hurricane defensemen in points, and he plays on their power play until.... yea he's in real danger of not lasting.... :roll:
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

observer wrote:Considering the discussion is about development of players by youth associations and high schools, not where they were born, that was stupid of you.
Hug?
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
NextGoalWins

Post by NextGoalWins »

Sure but remember he is still just a young prospect with promise - he, like most other young players are still in tryout phase - that's why he got a 2 year deal. The newer Faulk has the spot on the first power play. J has had a good run but is clearly the softest defencemen on the team and has gotten into a lot of trouble because of it this season. That's a problem for a d man. Average NHL career is 4 years. Most of the young players are in danger of not lasting.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

So this thread has devolved into an argument about the complete absence of Edina players in the NHL and whether Jamie McBain deserves to be in the NHL Hall of Fame yet.

But I think the original point, made in the YHH article, is that Edina PWAA's trip to Michigan is -- to some -- an opportunity to compare the "MN Model" to the best of the rest of the USA (Tier 1 AAA).

Obviously every player has to come from somewhere, but the Tier 1 system can be illustrated by a player like Patrick Kane:

Kane is from Buffalo, NY. Kane attended the St. Martin of Tours school and started playing for the Cazenovia Chiefs in his hometown. He played for the West Seneca Wings, Buffalo Regals, and Depew Saints. When Kane was fourteen, he played junior hockey for the USA Bobcats, based in Connecticut. By 15, Kane relocated to Michigan where he lived with former NHL player Pat Verbeek, having been convinced to play for the Honeybaked AAA hockey club in Detroit. The club is a part of the Midwest Elite Hockey League. Kane's career with Honeybaked lasted for 3 years.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Shinbone_News wrote:So this thread has devolved into an argument about the complete absence of Edina players in the NHL and whether Jamie McBain deserves to be in the NHL Hall of Fame yet.

But I think the original point, made in the YHH article, is that Edina PWAA's trip to Michigan is -- to some -- an opportunity to compare the "MN Model" to the best of the rest of the USA (Tier 1 AAA).

Obviously every player has to come from somewhere, but the Tier 1 system can be illustrated by a player like Patrick Kane:

Kane is from Buffalo, NY. Kane attended the St. Martin of Tours school and started playing for the Cazenovia Chiefs in his hometown. He played for the West Seneca Wings, Buffalo Regals, and Depew Saints. When Kane was fourteen, he played junior hockey for the USA Bobcats, based in Connecticut. By 15, Kane relocated to Michigan where he lived with former NHL player Pat Verbeek, having been convinced to play for the Honeybaked AAA hockey club in Detroit. The club is a part of the Midwest Elite Hockey League. Kane's career with Honeybaked lasted for 3 years.
Give 'em hell Hornets.

Buuuuut, when you get back I hope you get bounced in regions.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Shinbone_News wrote:So this thread has devolved into an argument about the complete absence of Edina players in the NHL and whether Jamie McBain deserves to be in the NHL Hall of Fame yet.

I guess you can make that case, if you wanted a truer test of this theory though you'd need multiple teams playing eachother from both sides...... I think rather that it's a chance for the biggest and deepest association in all of MN to see how it does against some of the better teams in Tier 1. Regardless of outcome both sides will be ready with their excuses
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Others are making this into a bigger deal than the participants are. And I don't mean their parents.
Be kind. Rewind.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

Slipped in the crease wrote:In the end it means very little. A majority of the Minnesota kids can be 6-18 months older than all of the kids playing on a '00 PW team.
I would be more impressed if they were to take on '99's.
The flip side of this is - if Edina played a '99 team, then that said '99 team would have kids that are 6 months to 30 months older (30 months if '99 team had a Jan/99 birthday and Edina had a Jun/01 birthday), no?
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

JSR wrote:

I guess you can make that case, if you wanted a truer test of this theory though you'd need multiple teams playing eachother from both sides...... I think rather that it's a chance for the biggest and deepest association in all of MN to see how it does against some of the better teams in Tier 1. Regardless of outcome both sides will be ready with their excuses
..some of the better? More like some of the best. HB beat #1 Chicago Mission just a couple days ago.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Snap Happy wrote:
JSR wrote:

..some of the better? More like some of the best. HB beat #1 Chicago Mission just a couple days ago.
It's funny how some people take things. You feel it necessary to use the term "best" for the Tier 1 teams which means I guess that you felt I slighted them in using the description I used because you want them to be built up more I guess but you never mentioned that I did not use the term "the best" to describe Edina I merely called them the biggest and deepest but I didn't use the term "the best" to describe them, though it would've been appropriate to do so, but you concentrated on just the description of the Tier 1 teams...... see what I mean people the "excuse making" begins before a puck is even dropped, thanks for making my point Snap Happy, I appreciate that :wink:
Last edited by JSR on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

late 1999s - 5 skaters & both goalies? (I think)
2000s - 8 or 9 skaters, about half are after July 1st
2001 - one

My guess is that the average age of these teams is pretty close Michigan teams will have more 7th graders with very few 6th, skewed toward the first quarter Jan-Mar.

One of my least favorite expressions applies here. It is what it is. Minnesota teams and Michigan teams don't use the same age cut. That said, this makes sense. Edina would be overmatched by 1999s, so why go to Michigan if they would have to schedule lesser programs.

The fun part is going up against Little Caesars, Compuware, and Honeybaked Ham.
Be kind. Rewind.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

O-townClown wrote:lOne of my least favorite expressions applies here. It is what it is. Minnesota teams and Michigan teams don't use the same age cut. That said, this makes sense. Edina would be overmatched by 1999s, so why go to Michigan if they would have to schedule lesser programs.

Not to mention the fact that at the 99 level the Tier 1 teams can check. Since the MN PWs cannot check, this trip most likely would have drawn the ire of the MN Hockey powers that be if it involved playing 99 teams.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

JSR wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:
JSR wrote: I guess you can make that case, if you wanted a truer test of this theory though you'd need multiple teams playing eachother from both sides...... I think rather that it's a chance for the biggest and deepest association in all of MN to see how it does against some of the better teams in Tier 1. Regardless of outcome both sides will be ready with their excuses
.....You feel it necessary to use the term "best" for the Tier 1 teams which means I guess that you felt I slighted them in using the description I used because you want them to be built up more I guess but you never mentioned that I did not use the term "the best" to describe Edina I merely called them the biggest and deepest but I didn't use the term "the best" to describe them, though it would've been appropriate to do so, but you concentrated on just the description of the Tier 1 teams......
Holy run on sentence batman...

...sorry that's all I got in response. :wink:
QuackerTracker

Post by QuackerTracker »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
O-townClown wrote:lOne of my least favorite expressions applies here. It is what it is. Minnesota teams and Michigan teams don't use the same age cut. That said, this makes sense. Edina would be overmatched by 1999s, so why go to Michigan if they would have to schedule lesser programs.

Not to mention the fact that at the 99 level the Tier 1 teams can check. Since the MN PWs cannot check, this trip most likely would have drawn the ire of the MN Hockey powers that be if it involved playing 99 teams.
MN Hockey did not pass the rule for no checking at PeeWees, USA Hockey did. Big diffrence.

If a PW team was to play a 99 or older team the game would have to be played without checking per the USA Hockey Rule Book
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

I believe the comparison between Edina's AA PW team and the Tier I Michigan teams is stupid! 00's should play 00's to get an accurate count on how Minnesota hockey is doing against the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, I think Edina gets waxed in all three games, but I hope they don't. Also, there are very few 00's, if any, that play Tier I in Michigan that billet with families. You really don't see kids moving in with families in Detroit at the PW level. Bantam Minor is when you see kids from other states start billeting with families. PW is just too young for kids to leave home.

The question is......what if Edina gets whacked in all three games? The Minnesota hockey bubble will definately burst for sure. Agree?
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

QuackerTracker wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:

MN Hockey did not pass the rule for no checking at PeeWees, USA Hockey did. Big diffrence.

If a PW team was to play a 99 or older team the game would have to be played without checking per the USA Hockey Rule Book
Big difference? Edina is governed by Mn hockey which is governed by usa hockey. If they played a game with checking they'd be violating rules of both. Splitting hairs I think.
phil mccracken

Post by phil mccracken »

Puckstopper81 wrote:I believe the comparison between Edina's AA PW team and the Tier I Michigan teams is stupid! 00's should play 00's to get an accurate count on how Minnesota hockey is doing against the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, I think Edina gets waxed in all three games, but I hope they don't. Also, there are very few 00's, if any, that play Tier I in Michigan that billet with families. You really don't see kids moving in with families in Detroit at the PW level. Bantam Minor is when you see kids from other states start billeting with families. PW is just too young for kids to leave home.

The question is......what if Edina gets whacked in all three games? The Minnesota hockey bubble will definately burst for sure. Agree?

Ah grasshopper, Ladnia, the "other" Russian, and a strong skater originally from Pittsburgh, now at Shattuck would say "nisch"
57special

Post by 57special »

Puckstopper81 wrote:I believe the comparison between Edina's AA PW team and the Tier I Michigan teams is stupid! 00's should play 00's to get an accurate count on how Minnesota hockey is doing against the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, I think Edina gets waxed in all three games, but I hope they don't. Also, there are very few 00's, if any, that play Tier I in Michigan that billet with families. You really don't see kids moving in with families in Detroit at the PW level. Bantam Minor is when you see kids from other states start billeting with families. PW is just too young for kids to leave home.

Define whacked. 8-1? 7-3? Or if they lose all 3 games by one goal?

I expect them to go 2 and 1.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

Again....let me just say that I am pulling for the boys from Edina, but I don't think they have seen the competition like there is in Detroit. Eventhough they are 00's, Detroit hockey is very, very physical. I think we could see a 6-1 or 5-0 trouncing. Just my 2 cents. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

How many of those Edina kids will be @ BSM ? The reason I ask is BSM just beat SSM 5-2. Now I thought SSM was a "top end" T1 progam. Maybe these Mn kids are better then some of you haters think ?? Good luck to the boys from Edina ! That seems weird to type. :)
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

I believe you have to scratch a yearly check for $40,000+ to play for SSM. That kind of cash would definately limit the talent that goes there!
smessarian

Post by smessarian »

So, to summarize ...

Edina has one 2001. Did I hear that right? I'm guessing that most of the teams they will be playing will have one or two of those and theirs may be in the first half of 2001. Sounds like Edina's would be in the second half due to Minnesota rules?

Edina has 4-5 1999's. The teams they will be playing have none. The size difference from 2001 to 2000 and again to 1999 is generally very significant.

But ...

This is somehow fair because the Michigan teams are "all star teams." Huh? As someone else noted, kids really do NOT start moving around for hockey/billeting until they are second year bantams. Many tier one organizations have strict rules surrounding this issue. The kids Edina will be playing are likely mostly from Michigan. I know that my son's tier one team is in a small hockey market (translate as a small fraction of the numbers of possible players available to Edina) and ALL of the kids are local.

The Edina kids couldn't possibly play against 99's because there would be checking and they can't check because they are peewees. But, actually, some of them are NOT peewees. They are actually bantams.

Edina might be tired because of how many games they will have to play. And, and ... one of their players is injured. Really, welcome to the hockey the rest of the country plays.

The only question I have is, if Minnesota hockey is so amazing and wonderful, why are so many people on this site so insecure?

I'm sure the games will be great and that all of the kids will face solid competition. I know a lot of what I wrote I wrote in this post is rude. It is just really annoying to read all of the excuses.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

smess,

If the Minnesota folks are insecure......what would you call spending time on a website devoted to YOUTH hockey from a completely different state than your own trying to make the case that your product is better than theirs?
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

Complaining about MN hockey is like complaining about your sister. You can talk all day long about her annoying faults, but if anyone outside your family says one unkind word you want to punch them in the mouth.

I hope Edina goes 3-0 in Detroit then comes home and loses the rest of their games. :)
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

barry_mcconnell wrote:Complaining about MN hockey is like complaining about your sister. You can talk all day long about her annoying faults, but if anyone outside your family says one unkind word you want to punch them in the mouth.

I hope Edina goes 3-0 in Detroit then comes home and loses the rest of their games. :)
Bravo!