YHH: Edina AA heads to Michigan

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

So if adults discuss what will happen in a game where people aren't really sure you construe it as making excuses?

Smess, that don't make no sense.

Ask someone from Compuware area how they'll do and you will no doubt hear them say something like, "I'm not sure how we'll match up. Some of their kids are older than what we see all year."

That's not making excuses, that's considering an obvious reality.

It'll be fun for all involved. That's a safe prediction.
Be kind. Rewind.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

When do these games start?
Survey

Post by Survey »

I believe they leave today for games tomorrow/saturday and come home Sunday.
snowpuck

Post by snowpuck »

barry_mcconnell

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject:
Complaining about MN hockey is like complaining about your sister. You can talk all day long about her annoying faults, but if anyone outside your family says one unkind word you want to punch them in the mouth.

I hope Edina goes 3-0 in Detroit then comes home and loses the rest of their games.

Well said... Wish the boys luck and hope they represent the state of MN well. All this talk about they should be Bantams. Well they are not we don't live in MI. They are peewees and THEY play peewee hockey... They don't have a choice here! Stop beating a dead horse. They will have their hands full with the talent in the Motor City. Two different entities... Both are awesome.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Section 8 guy wrote:smess,

If the Minnesota folks are insecure......what would you call spending time on a website devoted to YOUTH hockey from a completely different state than your own trying to make the case that your product is better than theirs?
How do you know smess is from another state.... just saying there are quite a few MN players playing Tier 1 hockey and maybe smess meant that other than her son the rest of the team is local kids.... just saying smess just might be a Minnesotan..........
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

As long as we are splitting hairs about 99s versus 00s, two points:

Many Minnesota 00s have played in checking tournaments, whether in Canada or in summer AAA. Summer of 2010, 00s checked. Even 01s had a tourney or two where it was allowed. As far as the "physicality" of Detroit hockey goes, hey -- bring it on. Any kid playing PWAA has had plenty of non-checking body contact. It comes with the speed of the game. Edina will be just fine.

Probably the 00s on Edina could beat the 99s head to head. Remember, the 00 Machine Orange team is just as undefeated as Edina PWAA is, because the core is largely the same team -- AND the 00 Machine regularly plays Tier 1+ teams from all over North America and wins. During the summer.

It will be very interesting, but I'll say it again: No way Edina gets "whacked." Most likely they'll be very close, and Edina wins at least one, probably two, maybe all three.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

I can't wait for the movie...

Miracle in Detroit
JSR

Post by JSR »

Shinbone_News wrote:As long as we are splitting hairs about 99s versus 00s, two points:

Many Minnesota 00s have played in checking tournaments, whether in Canada or in summer AAA. Summer of 2010, 00s checked. Even 01s had a tourney or two where it was allowed. As far as the "physicality" of Detroit hockey goes, hey -- bring it on. Any kid playing PWAA has had plenty of non-checking body contact. It comes with the speed of the game. Edina will be just fine.

Probably the 00s on Edina could beat the 99s head to head. Remember, the 00 Machine Orange team is just as undefeated as Edina PWAA is, because the core is largely the same team -- AND the 00 Machine regularly plays Tier 1+ teams from all over North America and wins. During the summer.

It will be very interesting, but I'll say it again: No way Edina gets "whacked." Most likely they'll be very close, and Edina wins at least one, probably two, maybe all three.
For what it's worth the 2000 Machine Orange played the 2000 Chicago Mission twice last spring/summer. They split the two games each of them winning one a piece. Both games were competitive to my knowledge
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

How many 01's, if any are on Edina ?
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

OG: They have 1...and he plays for 00 Machine.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

I think if memory serves, Machine lost to mission in a close one in pool play but they came back and "whacked" them in the chip pretty bad.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Thanks Tony !
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Correction: 00 Machine lost to North American All Stars in pool play and then to the Bauer Selects in chip. They beat CM and Honeybaked.

Bad info (I had them with 1 L in my head, they had 2).

Regardless a solid squad.

While doing my research on these top end 00 teams last week...I get the sense that HB is playing the best. I talked to the Missausaugua (sp) Coach from Toronto (they've played them all) to see who he thought the best was and he said HoneyBaked is the best team they've faced this year. The Chicago Mission coach called me right after they lost to HoneyBaked last Saturday, but opted not to be quoted.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Any scores ???
JSR

Post by JSR »

How long are the periods usually for Edina's PW AA team? I get there can be exceptions to every rule for tourneys or whatever just wondering what the usual length is?
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

Well........game is over by now. How did the boys do?
offside14

Post by offside14 »

Lost 4-2 to honey baked, however outshot them 36-18.
sam970

Post by sam970 »

4-2 HB wins.... Shots were not that skewed it was 25-20
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

YHH should be able to clear up the shot totals. Kudos to Edina for taking on the hottest pee wee team in what seems to be North America right now.
snowpuck

Post by snowpuck »

Edgeless.. You hit the nail on the head. Hottest team and they are good!!! YHH will get the straight story. Edina did good taking this road trip, this will prep them for their run in the MN State tourney. Good luck to the Hornets the rest of way in Motown.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

So.......the debate still continues!
IHEA

Post by IHEA »

Edgeless - Let's not talk about this as a PW game. Kudos the MI teams for taking on a dominant 99/00 Edina powerhouse with their 2000's.

What's not debatable is we know the smokin hot formerly undefeated 1999/2000 Edina PW team full of AAA battle tested Machine and Blades players competed well with and lost to a smokin hot "2000" team.

What we don't know is what the gap would be if it was 2000's vs 2000's.

Two good games tomorrow!
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

IHEA wrote:Edgeless - Let's not talk about this as a PW game. Kudos the MI teams for taking on a dominant 99/00 Edina powerhouse with their 2000's.

What's not debatable is we know the smokin hot formerly undefeated 1999/2000 Edina PW team full of AAA battle tested Machine and Blades players competed well with and lost to a smokin hot "2000" team.

Two good games tomorrow!
That will be determined in April when the 2000 Minnesota All-Star team heads to Michigan and they will have to face (arguably) our best. There is no argument that the top tier 1 teams draw from a pool much larger than one city. In that regard it speaks well of, well I hate to say it but our community model.
IHEA

Post by IHEA »

edgeless2 wrote:
IHEA wrote:Edgeless - Let's not talk about this as a PW game. Kudos the MI teams for taking on a dominant 99/00 Edina powerhouse with their 2000's.

Two good games tomorrow!
That will be determined in April when the 2000 Minnesota All-Star team heads to Michigan and they will have to face (arguably) our best. There is no argument that the top tier 1 teams draw from a pool much larger than one city. In that regard it speaks well of, well I hate to say it but our community model.
The HB team is one of 3 top 10 AAA teams that are from MI, along with LC and Comp and is one team out of 5 or 6 AAA teams formed in the city.

Shinbone said "the 00 Machine Orange team is just as undefeated as Edina PWAA is, because the core is largely the same team -- AND the 00 Machine regularly plays Tier 1 teams from all over North America and wins. During the summer."

So when you say arguably our best... +99s...

As far as speaking for our community model, Edina is an anomaly in that it has a pool of top AAA talent in one city. That's why they have been so dominating. If you put almost any other AA team out in MI they would be run out of the rink just like they have been by Edina. All you have to do is look at the scores on Edina's website. Not to shoot down the MN model. Just that it is a Tier 2 model and IMO the best Tier 2 program in the country. MN would have a great Tier 1 program if it put one in place.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

IHEA wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:

Two good games tomorrow!
The HB team is one of 3 top 10 AAA teams that are from MI, along with LC and Comp and is one team out of 5 or 6 AAA teams formed in the city.

Shinbone said "the 00 Machine Orange team is just as undefeated as Edina PWAA is, because the core is largely the same team -- AND the 00 Machine regularly plays Tier 1 teams from all over North America and wins. During the summer."

So when you say arguably our best... +99s...

As far as speaking for our community model, Edina is an anomaly in that it has a pool of top AAA talent in one city. That's why they have been so dominating. If you put almost any other AA team out in MI they would be run out of the rink just like they have been by Edina. All you have to do is look at the scores on Edina's website. Not to shoot down the MN model. Just that it is a Tier 2 model and IMO the best Tier 2 program in the country. MN would have a great Tier 1 program if it put one in place.
Very salient arguments. The only point I would put forward is that maybe 5 or 6 2000 Machine players are on the Edina PWAA team. If you add 10 of the best 2000 players (arguably) from all over the state and add the best 00 goaltender, well it seems there may be a different outcome. And this is what I suggest might be decided when they go to Detroit in April. As far as Edina being an anomaly I can only point to the Kyle Rau led Eden Prairie group a few years back, that won Fargo, 2 PW state chips, 2 Bantam chips, and 2 HS chips. So maybe the anomalies are only moving from town to town and the MN system's best just move from city to city based on particular groups. looking at it from that perspective I would hardly gather that the best MN has to offer is merely the best Tier 2 program.